Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Makes a larger cup for a to go mug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

For me, looks and price. Also there's something nice about the simplicity of it, and the fact that you can brew your coffee on a stove (which makes it useful for camping)

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I work (self-taught) as a barista, and while I have a long way to go before I'm satisfied with my latte art, it's going pretty well. I don't, however, have any knowledge about how to adjust espresso shots from the machines. My employers at this job and the previous 2 never wanted to invest in a coffee course, weren't baristas themselves and had inevitably trashed or lost the manuals that came with the machines.

Are there any good resources online for pulling the perfect shot? Or other baristas in this very thread, perhaps?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I don't know if this is too basic for you, but this is pretty good. Home barista has a bunch of other tutorials here that I think are decent.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Speaking of Moka pots, our landlord just replaced our old gas oven with a glass top electric oven. I know I can't use my Moka pot on the glass top, but I enjoy using it every so often... Would I have to get some sort of small camp flame to use it? Or am I mistaken about glass tops? Also, asking for an Ibrik...

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Niemat posted:

Speaking of Moka pots, our landlord just replaced our old gas oven with a glass top electric oven. I know I can't use my Moka pot on the glass top, but I enjoy using it every so often... Would I have to get some sort of small camp flame to use it? Or am I mistaken about glass tops? Also, asking for an Ibrik...

People say it's not really a problem...benefit of gas stove is you can adjust it quicker though.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Should still work unless the stove is induction (most aren't) and your moka pot is aluminum (most are). It couldn't hurt to try it out.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
I think I remember hearing people heat the moka pot in a pan with some water on induction stoves, so if you're worried you could try that?

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

Awesome. Thanks, guys! Will it also work normally for a copper ibrik?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

You can get little metal plates that can go on top of the element which let you use non-induction pans or cast iron things in glass tops.

One of those might work, be easier than a pan of water and also serve as a trivet when it isn't hot.

vv also very true

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 15, 2015

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Unless your landlord has specifically told you they're getting an induction stove, I would be very surprised if you're getting one. They're awesome, from what I hear, but they're also much more expensive than other stoves and still pretty rare. Also they make induction-compatible moka pots out of ferromagnetic materials.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
I'm gonna be in San Diego next week and a couple days just exploring downtown SD and checking out some breweries and other stuff. Anyone have any recommendations for good coffee shops? Would love to find a place that does a good pour over or has nitro cold brew.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

I work (self-taught) as a barista, and while I have a long way to go before I'm satisfied with my latte art, it's going pretty well. I don't, however, have any knowledge about how to adjust espresso shots from the machines. My employers at this job and the previous 2 never wanted to invest in a coffee course, weren't baristas themselves and had inevitably trashed or lost the manuals that came with the machines.

Are there any good resources online for pulling the perfect shot? Or other baristas in this very thread, perhaps?

Those home barista tutorials are a good resource to start, and should help you get the basics down. I got the Professional Barista's Handbook by Scott Rao here last winter, and I really like it. It goes pretty in depth, and it really helped me get a better understanding of what's going on during extraction, and it definitely helped me pull better shops.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

dik-dik posted:

I don't know if this is too basic for you, but this is pretty good. Home barista has a bunch of other tutorials here that I think are decent.

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

Those home barista tutorials are a good resource to start, and should help you get the basics down. I got the Professional Barista's Handbook by Scott Rao here last winter, and I really like it. It goes pretty in depth, and it really helped me get a better understanding of what's going on during extraction, and it definitely helped me pull better shops.

Thanks! I'll check both of these out.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band

Fruits of the sea posted:

Another thing worth doing is asking your coffee supplier for some training. All of the suppliers I've dealt with will come in and train your manager and staff for free, as if you're serving better coffee, they're gonna be able to sell you more beans.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

What differences if any are there between a v60 or kalita wave for pourover and a chemex? Other than the filters? Currently own a chemex that fits all of my needs but just curious if there's much of a difference.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

swimming anime posted:

What differences if any are there between a v60 or kalita wave for pourover and a chemex? Other than the filters? Currently own a chemex that fits all of my needs but just curious if there's much of a difference.

Well for starters the Chemex has a lot more heat loss, a larger opening (even more than the V60), and pretty bad filter paper. The Kalita drains very quickly but tends to keep more of the coffee in contact with the water than the Hario. Both the Hario and Kalitq require more attention to detail than the Chemex, which is already pretty finicky. The Kalita produces a more crystalline tea-like cup than the Chemex, where the Kalita is more. The direction of a Melitta, with more body than the Chemex given the same grind.

I like light bodied coffee, so my favorite of these is the Hario despite the fact that it requires very, very slow pouring. I used to drink Chemex every day but after trying many methods for pour over I think it's one of the worst.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
What's the best way to clean the clever coffee dripper? Hot water doesn't seem to be enough but the manual had dire warnings about not using dish soap.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

What's the best way to clean the clever coffee dripper? Hot water doesn't seem to be enough but the manual had dire warnings about not using dish soap.

If it's getting a white cloudy look, that's the plastic itself that has been damaged by using too-hot water. If it's coffee or mineral build up then I imagine using a dilute acid solution similar to what you'd use to clean a drip machine will work.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I've always just washed mine by hand, with dish soap, after every use. I had no idea that was recommended against. Is it supposed to build up a patina of coffee oil like a moka pot or something? In any case, coffee will quickly stain the plug at the bottom a nice shade of butthole brown no matter how thoroughly you clean it, so there's no use worrying about that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
If I wanted to try my hand at Turkish style do I need the ibrik? The process seems to be doable with a regular pot but I don't know if the process requires the smaller surface area of the ibrik. Also, I don't add sugar to my coffee, would I still need to add it during the brewing? Does it serve a chemical purpose?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Hario pourovers don't have to be slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bcwuBgyr1E

Don't get a Melitta cone. Finicky brewing relative to how controllable the extraction is compared to literally any other pour over.

Kalita Wave is stupid easy and good once you get a good grasp on your recipe.

Chemex is great for poorly done light roasts.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Sextro posted:

Hario pourovers don't have to be slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bcwuBgyr1E

Don't get a Melitta cone. Finicky brewing relative to how controllable the extraction is compared to literally any other pour over.

Kalita Wave is stupid easy and good once you get a good grasp on your recipe.

Chemex is great for poorly done light roasts.

That's a pretty good looking Hario method, thanks for the link. The reason I recommended Melitta is because while it's not the best at anything, it's very idiot-proof and will work with almost any pour method due to the single small hole. Plus it's cheap.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

dik-dik posted:

If it's getting a white cloudy look, that's the plastic itself that has been damaged by using too-hot water. If it's coffee or mineral build up then I imagine using a dilute acid solution similar to what you'd use to clean a drip machine will work.

Thanks I'll give this a shot.

Clark Nova posted:

I've always just washed mine by hand, with dish soap, after every use. I had no idea that was recommended against. Is it supposed to build up a patina of coffee oil like a moka pot or something? In any case, coffee will quickly stain the plug at the bottom a nice shade of butthole brown no matter how thoroughly you clean it, so there's no use worrying about that.

I kinda suspected that dishsoap would probably be fine. I have no delusions of de-browning the plug, I figure that's a lost cause :v:

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Anyone know of a good, cheap source for small airtight containers that I can use to store single doses of coffee? (i.e., I weigh out the beans beforehand and store the in small jars so that when I want coffee I can just dump the jar into the grinder and go)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

dik-dik posted:

Anyone know of a good, cheap source for small airtight containers that I can use to store single doses of coffee? (i.e., I weigh out the beans beforehand and store the in small jars so that when I want coffee I can just dump the jar into the grinder and go)

4oz canning jars are around $8 for a dozen.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

dik-dik posted:

http://www.specialtybottle.com/

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If I wanted to try my hand at Turkish style do I need the ibrik? The process seems to be doable with a regular pot but I don't know if the process requires the smaller surface area of the ibrik. Also, I don't add sugar to my coffee, would I still need to add it during the brewing? Does it serve a chemical purpose?

I don't believe the sugar serves any chemical purpose; I make mine regularly without sugar, and I still get a decent brew from it. Whether or not to add sugar and the amount of sugar added is really about personal preference at the end of the day.

In terms of whether or not you'd need the ibrik, I've been trying to imagine making Turkish coffee without the ibrik, and I don't think you'd quite get the same effect with a regular pot since you're working with such a small amount of fluid. I would also think the boil would be more difficult to judge without an ibrik. In addition, the coffee would be more difficult to pour, which matters a little bit in that you're trying to keep as many grounds in the ibrik as possible (or at least I try to).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

dik-dik posted:

I like 4oz and 8 oz mason jars because they're a very common standard jar and 100% airtight. Also, if you have a foodsaver you can use an adapter to vacuum seal the jars for a little longevity.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
As somebody with a tight morning schedule, how much of a decline in quality would you get by grinding your beans the night before?

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

uninverted posted:

As somebody with a tight morning schedule, how much of a decline in quality would you get by grinding your beans the night before?

Are you grinding by hand? If not, we're talking 30 seconds?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

uninverted posted:

You might want to try making cold brew coffee instead?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

uninverted posted:

Try it and see if you can taste the difference. If not, no decline in quality.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

geetee posted:

Are you grinding by hand? If not, we're talking 30 seconds?

Grinding by hand also takes 30 seconds. I grind enough for 3 cups and its nothing.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Grinding by hand also takes 30 seconds. I grind enough for 3 cups and its nothing.

What do you use? My grinder's a skerton and it takes forever. I work nights so I'm never in a rush in the morning and it's not a problem, but if I were a 9 to 5 guy the skerton would be pretty annoying.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

swimming anime posted:

What do you use? My grinder's a skerton and it takes forever. I work nights so I'm never in a rush in the morning and it's not a problem, but if I were a 9 to 5 guy the skerton would be pretty annoying.

A porlex...but in saying that I use coarse grinds for French press.

electricmonk500
May 6, 2007
I really think the common advice that the V60 is a finicky method should be qualified by saying that if you have your brewer on a scale you are probably never going to gently caress it up if you just use a 17:1 ratio or really anything near that, and do the bloom/off gassing for 30ish seconds. I even had perfectly good results before I got a gooseneck by simply using an ordinary kettle and pouring a relatively thin stream in the center (never doing any circles). But I guess if you're new to making coffee, something like an aeropress would be more foolproof.

But the real reason I'm posting is that I just picked up a nel drip on a whim and have made a couple cups of coffee with it to good effect. I don't think I've seen any talk about nel drips on here, but I could be wrong. Makes a strong cup with much more body and (at least for me) comes out a touch more bitter than paper drip, but in a pleasant way. Been doing 25g per 240ml at ~178F on a medium grind (slightly larger than for drip). I see a lot of variation in recommended methods online though, so I thought I'd ask here and see if anybody has experience with it. Or if not, I'll probably try out many of these methods myself so I can share if anyone's interested.

And the Hario nel drip (without the chemex-looking carafe) is only ~10 bucks on amazon and will fit on any container that is about it's diameter of 4 inches, which coincidentally is common on many french presses.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only had nel drip once and it cost like $7. It took forever to make and wasn't very hot.

electricmonk500
May 6, 2007
Yeah, I'm not totally sure why many methods seem to recommend taking such a long time. These cups I've been making don't take much longer than drip in a V60 (3-4 mins) and you end up with a distinctly different profile. Of course it's all down to taste if you like it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
Just roasted a profile of this: http://coffeeshrub.com/shrub/coffee/guatemala-acatenango-gesha-1 to City +... considering the sample was 13.17$ and a 50# bag is 897$, I wont be offering it, but it was interesting to try.

It's good, but not significantly different from other coffee that I roast, and not worth 2x+ the price.

Interested to hear what everyone else thinks about 'Gesha' varieties...