Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

I like how they laid down the tarp. Wouldn't want to get that pudding in the tub, would we? *drags tarp filled with 40 gallons of pudding across living room*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Minarch posted:

I like how they laid down the tarp. Wouldn't want to get that pudding in the tub, would we? *drags tarp filled with 40 gallons of pudding across living room*

How do you think they chilled it, for it to actually set?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Tiggum, can you weigh in here and let us know exactly how to classify food foam?
I'm not really familiar with the concept, but I'm thinking... soup?

Data Graham posted:

or a turnover when we could say "apple sandwich in flaky pastry"?
If it's pastry then it's a pie.

stereobreadsticks posted:

I'm confused, if both bread and pastry are "cake" and a "sandwich" is food in bread but a "pie" is food in pastry, then aren't both of those latter categories essentially food in cake? I think we can simplify further.
Food in cake is not the same as cake. Things are still themselves even when combined, it's the combination itself that gets a new designation. If you put cheese in bread then neither the cheese nor the bread is a sandwich, it's both together that make a sandwich.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

A pie is cooked as a singular assemblage, rather than being assembled before eating. That is the fundamental difference between a cake and a sandwich. Thus, a pie is a cake, but a trifle is a sandwich.
This is heresy. It is the question of bread or pastry that determines whether a food item is a cake or a pie. A trifle has neither bread nor pastry and is therefore neither sandwich nor pie. It's a stew. :colbert:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

This is what happens when mods close the AUG thread

There is spillover

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

VendaGoat posted:

How do you think they chilled it, for it to actually set?

It's actually just hundreds of pudding cups. Open the lid, lick the lid, toss the lid, dump the cup, toss the cup.

You don't not lick the lid, the hell is wrong with you

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Tiggum posted:

I'm not really familiar with the concept, but I'm thinking... soup?

If it's pastry then it's a pie.

Food in cake is not the same as cake. Things are still themselves even when combined, it's the combination itself that gets a new designation. If you put cheese in bread then neither the cheese nor the bread is a sandwich, it's both together that make a sandwich.

This is heresy. It is the question of bread or pastry that determines whether a food item is a cake or a pie. A trifle has neither bread nor pastry and is therefore neither sandwich nor pie. It's a stew. :colbert:

But a trifle has sponge or ladyfingers in it. That's part of what makes it a trifle.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Minarch posted:

It's actually just hundreds of pudding cups. Open the lid, lick the lid, toss the lid, dump the cup, toss the cup.

You don't not lick the lid, the hell is wrong with you

Well, of course you loving lick the lid.

I'm just trying to get you to acknowledge the cost savings on a tub of tapioca vs pre-packaged.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

"Choice pork cutlets on gourmet white bread with Grey Poupon, with a side of Crown Black and Chips"

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

VendaGoat posted:

Well, of course you loving lick the lid.

I'm just trying to get you to acknowledge the cost savings on a tub of tapioca vs pre-packaged.

But if you get instant pudding, you also need to factor in the cost of milk.

poo poo, let me get a calculator, we gonna figure this out.

e: Can we do rice pudding, or does the filler disqualify us?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Minarch posted:

I'm pretty sure it's always cheaper to make pudding from scratch than to buy snack packs. A gallon of milk is what, $3ish? Less here, but only for the cheap stuff. Still, that'll do fine for pudding.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
^^^^^^^^^^^Oh look! a supporter of the efficient grocery market Hypothesis :rolleyes:

Minarch posted:

e: Can we do rice pudding, or does the filler disqualify us?

Use whatever loving pudding you want, but we better start consulting the mathematical formulas surrounding this. I mean, there are just so many variables. Cost of Living, location, current market valuations on the commodities involved, electricity costs, fuel surcharges, depreciation of your vehicle, delivery charges, the list is just endless. And without a proper algorithm to analise this data we will never figure out the cost/benefit analysis of a homemade tub of pudding vs store bought.

We may need to buy some time on a Cray.

VendaGoat has a new favorite as of 04:28 on Oct 22, 2015

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

BiohazrD posted:

"Choice pork cutlets on gourmet white bread with Grey Poupon, with a side of Crown Black and Chips"

This could have been a picture of many of the meals I ate between 2010-2012.

edit: is that even mustard? It almost looks like squeeze jar mayo. That would be a step too far.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Did I make good waffles? :ohdear:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Depends, did you use real maple syrup?

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

OctoberBlues posted:

Depends, did you use real maple syrup?

http://www.woodinvillewhiskeyco.com/products/woodinville-barrel-aged-maple-syrup/

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Oh boy, that is the next level, how much did that cost?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

But a trifle has sponge or ladyfingers in it. That's part of what makes it a trifle.

A sponge is not bread or pastry, it's cake. Cake mixed with other things is stew.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

OctoberBlues posted:

Oh boy, that is the next level, how much did that cost?

Roughly $15-$18. I could be wrong. It was worth it.

Me right now:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yes. Yes, you made good waffles. You made the best waffles. :3:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'm pretty sure it's always cheaper to make pudding from scratch than to buy snack packs. A gallon of milk is what, $3ish? Less here, but only for the cheap stuff. Still, that'll do fine for pudding.

Lets figure 24 gallons of milk. (normal tub capacity is about 42 gallons apparently).

INSTANT:
Assuming vanilla pudding mix, bought in bulk from Amazon you would need 14 of the bulk packs (24 packs per case, 2 cups milk per pack) which is $230 assuming prime shipping. 2 gallons of 2% is 3.50 around me, so $42 in milk, for a grand total of $272. A 350 watt mixer pulls 2.91 (we'll call it 3) Amps but that doesn't matter because electricity is in kilowatt hours, so ~ 1kw hour to embarrass yourself online. A kw-hour is like 15 cents at most.

Grand Total: $272.15.

SNACK PACKS:
3072 oz in 24 gallons, 13 oz per 4 pack of snack packs, 1.50 per snack pack, pack = $354.

Bulk Lemon pudding is about $420 (from amazon), but lemon pudding is gross.

e: I was way off on snack-pack costs.

Plinkey has a new favorite as of 05:16 on Oct 22, 2015

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Crow Jane posted:

Don't rinse off your pasta with anything.

I try not to be an angry food nerd cause generally I don't give a poo poo about how people eat.

That said, why the gently caress would you wash pasta after you make it? There are nothing but negative outcomes. It's exactly the same as washing chicken or pork chops you've baked. Or hell for a closer comparison, if you're the type of person who boils hotdogs, washing the hotdogs afterwards. What is th end game supposed to be

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

What if you made the baked cookie dough into cookies

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

I try not to be an angry food nerd cause generally I don't give a poo poo about how people eat.

That said, why the gently caress would you wash pasta after you make it? There are nothing but negative outcomes. It's exactly the same as washing chicken or pork chops you've baked. Or hell for a closer comparison, if you're the type of person who boils hotdogs, washing the hotdogs afterwards. What is th end game supposed to be

"That way the pasta won't stick together" is the reasoning I've heard when I've asked people why they rinse pasta. I tell them that the sauce won't stick either, and they give me that look, the one where they completely disregard what I just said

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

"That way the pasta won't stick together" is the reasoning I've heard when I've asked people why they rinse pasta. I tell them that the sauce won't stick either, and they give me that look, the one where they completely disregard what I just said

I have always used cold water to stop the cooking process so the noodles do not get mushy. You can always reserve the cooking water to reintroduce those starches later.

Bina has a new favorite as of 06:32 on Oct 22, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm kinda worried about those dark hunks of something in the pudding.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

chitoryu12 posted:

The image has so many things going on.

-The window frame that is poorly constructed near the inner wall of bath tub.

-All of the shampoo and conditioner bottles (How many people live there honestly)

-The small thing poking out underneath the tarp.

-The tarp.

-The egg white looking chunks floating in the pudding.

-The hand print of vanilla pudding on his right knee.

Bina has a new favorite as of 06:38 on Oct 22, 2015

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

:okpos:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Bina posted:

The image has so many things going on.

-The window frame that is poorly constructed near the inner wall of bath tub.

-All of the shampoo and conditioner bottles (How many people live there honestly)

-The small thing poking out underneath the tarp.

-The tarp.

-The egg white looking chunks floating in the pudding.

-The hand print of vanilla pudding on his right knee.

At least the phone has decent battery strength left.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

The color makes me think more banana pudding (leaving out the raunchy pun opportunities), which would prolly make those vanilla wafers...

Samizdata has a new favorite as of 08:21 on Oct 22, 2015

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

At least the phone has decent battery strength left.

unedited smartphone aesthetic pics

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I've seen people argue that the starches leeched by pasta without rinsing aren't of any major nutritional value and just add unnecessary calories to your meal, but I'm not sure if there's any truth in that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Years of instant ramen then lead people to wrong ideas of how to cook noodles

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Picnic Princess posted:

I've seen people argue that the starches leeched by pasta without rinsing aren't of any major nutritional value and just add unnecessary calories to your meal, but I'm not sure if there's any truth in that.

The starchy buildup on the noodles after you drain them help adhere the sauce to the noodles.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

AnonSpore posted:

Yes congratulations you found the joke.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AnonSpore posted:

it's just a roll of pillsbury cookie mix, lightly toasted on the outside and soft on the inside. like some kind of baked alaska with 15000 calories and salmonella

Aesop Poprock posted:

I rinse my noodles under cold water because I'm a loving glutton and demand to eat that poo poo instantly

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 10:01 on Oct 22, 2015

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

I rinse my noodles under cold water because I'm a loving glutton and demand to eat that poo poo instantly

I don't understand. Is it a temperature thing? Noodles are at an edible temperature pretty much immediately after they come out of the boiling water

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I'm grabbing this, I have waited far too long to buy an avatar.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I rinse my noodles because my mother always rinsed her noodles. I've heard many arguments for and against it. In my personal experience, they stick less if they were rinsed the next time I use them, because I usually make a pound, eat half with freshly made sauce the one day, and the other half with eggs and cheese fried in a pan the other day. Adding a little oil helps, too, I know. I've never noticed a taste difference. I also never noticed a difference depending on if noodles are kept in boiling water at all times, or in ~80°C water which still should be enough to cook them (and won't overboil). I think there is absolutely not difference to whatever you do with noodles, and there is no reason to get mad at anyone for preparing them differently. Hell, there usually isn't, but even less with noodles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I only ever saw my asian friends rince pasta after cooking and I always figured it was because that's what you do with rice noodles to stop them overcooking because they do that very easily so that's just what they're used to. There is absolutely no need to rince pasta but hey, more power to you if you want to I guess.

• Locked thread