Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Breetai posted:

The only time the EU is tolerable is when it's poking holes into George Lucas canon. Like the prophesy that Anakin would 'bring balance to the force' in a universe filled with Jedi.

lol yoda is too good to just shake a salt shaker with his hands he has to use force magic to overturn it in front of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yoda is a dumb frog

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
There was some book I must have read in middle school about some Imperial scientist who made a planet come to life or some poo poo. It would open up holes in the surface and eat people. A planet that loving ate people. There might have been shape shifters too? I don't recall enough detail, but I get the feeling it was part of Star Wars Goosebumps.

E: Looked it up. No shapshifters but the planet was named D'vouran. Was a young adult series called Galaxy of Fear, so, Star Wars Goosebumps. Even as a kid I thought it was pretty dumb.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 21, 2015

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I am pretty bummed that they're apparently not going with the "Luke founding a new, less douchey Jedi Order" thing because that was like the one cool idea the EU had, as well as being a pretty obvious place to take the series.

Then again, that will probably be Episode VIII, or the end of the trilogy, with the new leads being his first students.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Please don't insult my boy Tarkin

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

effectual posted:

Are any of those plain warhammer, not 40k? Idgaf about space marines, but i liked the dirty ork stuff the couple days I played the warhammer mmo.

They are 40k, but have nothing to do with Space Marines(The titular Ravenor and Eisenhorn are Inquisitors, the books read like detective novels, and Gaunts Ghosts are Imperial Guardsmen, so they just die alot)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

sleepy.eyes posted:

There was some book I must have read in middle school about some Imperial scientist who made a planet come to life or some poo poo. It would open up holes in the surface and eat people. A planet that loving ate people. There might have been shape shifters too? I don't recall enough detail, but I get the feeling it was part of Star Wars Goosebumps.

E: Looked it up. No shapshifters but the planet was named D'vouran. Was a young adult series called Galaxy of Fear, so, Star Wars Goosebumps. Even as a kid I thought it was pretty dumb.

Devourin. Really.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Earth also opens up holes that eat people!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Light Gun Man posted:

Earth also opens up holes that eat people!

But enough about your mom.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Acne Rain posted:

lol yoda is too good to just shake a salt shaker with his hands he has to use force magic to overturn it in front of him

If Master Obi Wan caught him doing that he'd be very grumpy.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

sleepy.eyes posted:

I read those books as a kid. I'm not looking it up, but I def remember a shapeshifter. He was either the kids' father or uncle. He'd take them from planet to planet, then gently caress off and let them almost get killed. For a nine year old, it was a pretty good book series.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Kandak Sayaqa posted:

I read those books as a kid. I'm not looking it up, but I def remember a shapeshifter. He was either the kids' father or uncle. He'd take them from planet to planet, then gently caress off and let them almost get killed. For a nine year old, it was a pretty good book series.

Wait, this implies that are children of relevance in the EU who are not the Solo kids or Ben Skywalker... This doesn't sound right.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It always made me laugh that Sheev was able to set up all these wicked evil science labs in the 15-18 years he had running the empire until the battle of Yavin. What did these people do under the republic?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm glad that Luke didn't open up a school anymore

like what the hell, he's the toughest guy around, i don't want him to be a school principal

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

But enough about your mom.

:golfclap:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

There was some summary posted in May that has now become somewhat more legitimate since the last trailer matches with what was said.

Han dying is cool and good. Queen Leia is dumb and bad. Everyone being everyone's kid is also dumb

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The one thing that bugs me about the trailer is how it seems they're going pretty heavy with the whole "nobody remembers the Jedi/Sith anymore." I can understand if they're trying to say something like "only a small number of people know about the small-scale conflict between Vader/Sheev and this new Jedi dude, for the galaxy at large they just assume the rebels beat the Empire and the whole Jedi thing was kind of kept a secret/not well publicized," but the Jedi were a major part of galactic politics for thousands of years, and I find it hard to justify how all of a sudden after like 50-60 years nobody even remembers them. I hope they shed a little more light on that in the actual movie.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

drunk asian neighbor posted:

The one thing that bugs me about the trailer is how it seems they're going pretty heavy with the whole "nobody remembers the Jedi/Sith anymore." I can understand if they're trying to say something like "only a small number of people know about the small-scale conflict between Vader/Sheev and this new Jedi dude, for the galaxy at large they just assume the rebels beat the Empire and the whole Jedi thing was kind of kept a secret/not well publicized," but the Jedi were a major part of galactic politics for thousands of years, and I find it hard to justify how all of a sudden after like 50-60 years nobody even remembers them. I hope they shed a little more light on that in the actual movie.

At it's height in recent history, there were maybe 15,000-30,000 Jedi and like 2 Sith

In a Galaxy of like a few googleplexes of sentient/sapient beings

Chances are most people never saw one, knew one or met one. We, the audience are constantly shown their importance, but the average guy on Dantooine sweeping his walkway and bitching about taxes probably has zero loving idea that space wizards not only exist, but secretly control most of the politics that surround them.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Collapse of the Western Roman Empire knowledge lose?

That said considering the Cold War setup that is apparently the status quo, if you get up in some backwater outer rim planet or some place that was super martial lawed by your local Moff or both, it doesn't seem that unlikely. Keep in mind the New Order probably heavily scrubbed Jedi from everything after the Emperor took power.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It's because despite all the flair of lasers and spaceships the Star Wars universe is functionally medieval or contemporary. News travels slowly and often by physical media. People walk to shops where they purchase goods over a counter. Military personnel ship away for years at a time with no contact back home. Menial labor and dangerous jobs are performed by hand despite a plentiful supply of intelligent robots.

Nothing about the Star Wars universe actually acts like they have advanced technology. Hence the ease by which history is lost with memory.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean it's not the farthest leap ever and I could see it happening, but there are definitely some things I feel like would linger. Not everyone may have known Sheev was a Sith, but Vader was like the Evil PR Face of the Empire, and the fact that the galactic capital had a massive Jedi Council temple right next to the Senate building, that sort of thing.

To be honest I think the best way to explain it would be in books/shows/comics that examined the era between eps 3 and 4 rather than 6 and 7. I can't expect the original trilogy to provide explanations for the new movies, but "the Empire whitewashed as much as they could about the Jedi after they took power" makes a hell of a lot more sense than "After the Empire fell people just kind of forgot about the Jedi despite the #1 A+ Hero of the Rebellion being one."

Actually the whitewashing explanation would agree the most with the OT as well as the prequels since that 30-year rise of the Empire era went from "backwater alien junk merchant knows enough about Jedi to know their mind tricks don't work on his species" to "well-traveled experienced smuggler has never seen any evidence to indicate the Jedi are anything more than a spooky story."

e: someone on Reddit compiled all the dogfighting shots from the trailer and now I think I'm more excited for Rogue One than I am for Ep7 http://gfycat.com/DaringRareKrill

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 21, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

To be honest I think the best way to explain it would be in books/shows/comics that examined the era between eps 3 and 4 rather than 6 and 7. I

The best way to explain it is to not try to explain it at all because it doesn't make any sense.

Just turn your brain off and enjoy the show. That's Star Wars in a nutshell.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
anyone who takes movies/books/games at anything other than face value as etneratinment vehicles needs some kind of a hobbies

dont read too much into it

did you enjoy it? yes ok

did you enjoy it? no move on

that literallyh it

peiople shouldnt be able to do more with other PEOPLES intellectual PROPERTY it slike calling a sponge an sponge when its soaked in whale cum

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Actually I would prefer if they not reconcile the stupid prequels with the cool mysterious sounding jedi from the OT.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Han doesn't believe in jedis or the force in ANH, either.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Vader is the Emperor's main guy and the moffs make fun of his religion to his face.

If Jedi are forgotten in the new movie, it could be easily explained by whatever Luke's up to. Like, outside of his group of pals, he wasn't outspoken about being a Jedi, and his role around the average joe was basically a pilot/commando who carried a lightsaber. Any actual Jedi stuff happened behind closed doors. If he decided to become a hermit instead of starting a Jedi school there's no reason the Jedi would still be a thing. If you ignore the prequels there's no inconsistency there.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Look at how janky Kylo Ren's lightsaber is. I get the feeling that he's more a fanatic than a true Sith and it makes sense that for someone without formal training his lightsaber and Vader worship is the closest he can get without actual force training.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

tomstuart posted:

anyone who takes movies/books/games at anything other than face value as etneratinment vehicles needs some kind of a hobbies

dont read too much into it

did you enjoy it? yes ok

did you enjoy it? no move on

that literallyh it

peiople shouldnt be able to do more with other PEOPLES intellectual PROPERTY it slike calling a sponge an sponge when its soaked in whale cum

Thinking is bad, turning your brain off is good. Sounds legit to me!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Tender Bender posted:

Vader is the Emperor's main guy and the moffs make fun of his religion to his face.

If Jedi are forgotten in the new movie, it could be easily explained by whatever Luke's up to. Like, outside of his group of pals, he wasn't outspoken about being a Jedi, and his role around the average joe was basically a pilot/commando who carried a lightsaber. Any actual Jedi stuff happened behind closed doors. If he decided to become a hermit instead of starting a Jedi school there's no reason the Jedi would still be a thing. If you ignore the prequels there's no inconsistency there.

I could see Luke taking a look at the Jedi Council and saying "Yeah, I see how this could really gently caress up galactic politics" and just working with the Rebels as a military advisor/trainer instead of refounding a pretty hosed up religion

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

gohuskies posted:

He must have a terrible glue-sniffing habit if he's the one in charge of EU continuity.

*∞teenth Palpatine clone hijacks the Millenium Falcon*

"I guess I picked the wrong week to quit spice."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lol, i just realized obi wan and the relationship he has with the duchess in the clone wars cartoon has the exact same dynamic and roles as padme and ankains, but they are both not insane

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

May the spirit of Christ be with you

*no Christians exist anymore*

Always sat weird with me

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

mr.capps posted:

lol, i just realized obi wan and the relationship he has with the duchess in the clone wars cartoon has the exact same dynamic and roles as padme and ankains, but they are both not insane

Yeah, the Obi-Wan/Mando-chick story was Anakin and Padme if they took their obligations seriously/ were good at anything

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RFC2324 posted:

There is a reason there was a dude employed by Lucas whos only job was to vet the EU poo poo to try and make sure that it maintained some kind of continuity.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Leland_Chee

nobody has failed a job harder than this man.

prequels aren't canon so jedi were never part of the government with a huge rear end temple on the capital because that is incredibly dumb in regards to how people act in the OT about jedi and the force.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 22, 2015

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody has failed a job harder than this man.

as I said before, as soon as he was told he had the power to fix it, his first step was to throw the whole thing out(he was the one behind disney declaring all of the EU null and void)

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

as I said before, as soon as he was told he had the power to fix it, his first step was to throw the whole thing out(he was the one behind disney declaring all of the EU null and void)

That man is a hero

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

RALF posted:

That man is a hero

Can you imagine the misery of being told to keep all the crap straight up until that point? Its amazing the man isn't start raving mad(I bet he actually is, and throwing it all out was a moment of lucidity)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm just waiting for him to see the light of reason and re-canonize the good stuff (super Old Republic stuff, Rogue Squadron games, X-wing/TIE Fighter games, Wraith Squadron, anything Kyle Katarn, Shadows of the Empire)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

SaltLick posted:

May the spirit of Christ be with you

*no Christians exist anymore*

Always sat weird with me

we still say "bless you" when people sneeze even tho we know it's just pollen or viruses or w/e, and we call the 5th day of the week thursday even though thor is now just a fictional comic book cartoon superhero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

Xenomrph posted:

I'm just waiting for him to see the light of reason and re-canonize the good stuff

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Legends

quote:

Though past elements of the Expanded Universe have been declared non-canon as a whole, they remain a resource for future Star Wars material to reference elements of the EU, thus bringing these elements into the new continuity as canon

If you read the origional announcement it's clear they intend to pick and choose what they want to bring back from the EU. I'm just hoping that the Yuuzhan Vong and anything written by Karen Traviss remains consigned to oblivion.

• Locked thread