Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Whippet good.

Four Legs good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
more like social justice paladins

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Solemn Sloth posted:

more like social justice paladins

How do they fall?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

greetings fellow D&D posters, I use terms like "SJW" unironically and legitimately believe that feminists are trying to take away my video games.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

greetings fellow D&D posters, I use terms like "SJW" unironically and legitimately believe that feminists are trying to take away my video games.

The Australian classification board is a feminist?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

almost certainly, SJWs love censorship and "classification boards". why, some SJWs blocked me on twitter, which is basically what orwell was warning about in 1984. I'm really smart and have read a lot of books, btw.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

BBJoey posted:

almost certainly, SJWs love censorship and "classification boards". why, some SJWs blocked me on twitter, which is basically what orwell was warning about in 1984. I'm really smart and have read a lot of books, btw.

How many plastic skulls do you own though?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

1 for each IQ point

so 250

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

1 for each IQ point

so 250

You certainly just aren't moving the same one around to be behind you in every shot. It's totally 250.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I never considered that he might have been moving them each shot, I legitimately thought he had multiple skulls just hangin out in various places in his house in some sort of cargo cult imitation of a Bond villain. Now you've at the very least planted the seed of doubt. Thanks a lot jerk. :smith:

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

BBJoey posted:

I never considered that he might have been moving them each shot, I legitimately thought he had multiple skulls just hangin out in various places in his house in some sort of cargo cult imitation of a Bond villain. Now you've at the very least planted the seed of doubt. Thanks a lot jerk. :smith:

we know for a fact that it's only one skull

because he named it

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Serious post.

If I am fired from my job (which given some happenings today is likely) I am entitled to any annual and sick leave to be paid out, correct?

Boss tried to tell me that I have a meeting on Monday to discuss OR I can just resign and get all my annual leave and two weeks pay.

I feel like both annual and sick leave is money owed as part of full time employment and withheld from payment until I need it, right?

Looking over my contract it says I am not entitled to any compensation if terminated (so no two weeks) but they can't take my 8 weeks of AL surely?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Seagull posted:

we know for a fact that it's only one skull

because he named it

ok this is good, thanks :unsmith:

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Sick leave is never paid out. Annual leave is.

Pro rata long service usually after 5 years.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I know a guy who didn't resign when he had a chance and hung around until getting fired and anecdotally it did make it hard for him finding a new job. Nice big payout though. Weigh your options up carefully. Actually now that I think about it when I resigned from my last job it was about the same amount of hard finding a new job but also it was less awkward in interviews.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 22, 2015

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Talk to your union

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I am basically happy to resign I just want to put the loving boot in because I'm sick of not sticking up for myself. I want to attend the hearing to let my side of the story be heard.

Not sure that's worth two weeks pay.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Electrocute your boss and then put in an OH&S complaint.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

Serious post.

If I am fired from my job (which given some happenings today is likely) I am entitled to any annual and sick leave to be paid out, correct?

Boss tried to tell me that I have a meeting on Monday to discuss OR I can just resign and get all my annual leave and two weeks pay.

I feel like both annual and sick leave is money owed as part of full time employment and withheld from payment until I need it, right?

Looking over my contract it says I am not entitled to any compensation if terminated (so no two weeks) but they can't take my 8 weeks of AL surely?

You will get your annual leave paid out, whether fired or not.
I don't think you will get your sick leave paid out based on either option.

Also if they fire you, you can sue them for unfair dismissal. You can't do that if you resign. Talk to your union, check your contract.

Check your industry standard award as well. Bummer about the job dude.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Laserface posted:

Serious post.

Depends on your industry and agreement.

Annual will be paid out, sick leave won't. If they're firing you on grounds of misconduct, you won't get a payout beyond amount owed, and outstanding annual.

If you're being made redundant do not resign - you will not be eligible for a payout based on length of service.

Speak to your union but I would not recommend resigning. Sounds like they're trying to get out of paying your redundancy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So NOW you're interested in social justice?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

:drat:

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Negligent posted:

We are reconfiguring an existing profile of spend in a way we think engenders workforce participation.

What a fantastic turn of phrase to describe welfare cuts killing off with starvation people who can't hold down a job

Fixed that for you.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Something happened in Dalby today in the courts re fracking. I can't find any info online and my mate who was there is telling me to watch TV. anyone know how it went? It's the gov taking the miners to court and today was the first day.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Thanks for responses.

I've only been there 18 months so long service isn't an option and it's not redundancy.

Basically my hands are tied by a vendor and I'm taking the fall for a contract blow out.

I have tried to express that the complexity of the work and the amount of money they charge doesn't make it viable given there's no money in it after software licensing costs and the downtime I'm not working for internal clients but it falls on deaf ears or I get spoken over.

I had one written warning due to misconduct which was against the terms in my contract (and it was purely a mistake rather than an act of malice and it's only a loose definition because they wanted someone to blame)

Then today I get told after putting my hold day into the project that I am suspended with pay til Monday when I have a hearing with the GM.

What can I get from winning unfair dismissal and is it worth the cost?

Jintor
May 19, 2014

SynthOrange posted:

:lol

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Laserface posted:

Depends on the lawyer. Slater and Gordon are a large mob who deal with stuff like this, best to give them a call

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

You Am I posted:

Depends on the lawyer. Slater and Gordon are a large mob who deal with stuff like this, best to give them a call

Or a union.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
We fight for fair*

*: settle almost all of our cases before they go to court

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Meanwhile

quote:

"Those sort of analogies are quite offensive and that sort of analogy was completely debunked by Justice Clarence Thomas, the negro American on the Supreme Court of the United States dealing with this issue … who dissented on the issue of marriage as well," Senator Abetz said.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Eric 'the atheist left' Abetz

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adnar posted:

Meanwhile

lmao

Smith interjected, questioning his use of the word, however Mr Abetz continued, saying "trying to bring race into it has now been completely dropped".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
negro American

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Laserface posted:

Thanks for responses.

I've only been there 18 months so long service isn't an option and it's not redundancy.

Basically my hands are tied by a vendor and I'm taking the fall for a contract blow out.

I have tried to express that the complexity of the work and the amount of money they charge doesn't make it viable given there's no money in it after software licensing costs and the downtime I'm not working for internal clients but it falls on deaf ears or I get spoken over.

I had one written warning due to misconduct which was against the terms in my contract (and it was purely a mistake rather than an act of malice and it's only a loose definition because they wanted someone to blame)

Then today I get told after putting my hold day into the project that I am suspended with pay til Monday when I have a hearing with the GM.

Do not say anything in any meetings. Do not sign anything. Not even a "just to indicate you have seen it." They are trying to screw you. Lawyer up and screw back. (Unions have good lawyers)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
two weeks pay? Mate I went to my Union when Umart was being a dick and I got like 8 weeks pay.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Adnar posted:

Meanwhile

Well he's doing his uncle proud.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

two weeks pay? Mate I went to my Union when Umart was being a dick and I got like 8 weeks pay.

Yeah but umart paid you in RAM.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Yeah but umart paid you in RAM.

Lol.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Were you unemployed for 8 weeks or more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Demoted former cabinet minister Eric Abetz has used the offensive word "negro" while defending his opposition to same-sex marriage during a radio interview.

Speaking to 2UE's Justin Smith on Thursday afternoon, Mr Abetz – a strident opponent of gay marriage - dropped the dated slur, considered offensive to black people, when rejecting the suggestion that refusing to bake a cake for a same-sex wedding was akin to discriminating against Asian people.

"Those sort of analogies are quite offensive and that sort of analogy was completely debunked by Justice Clarence Thomas, the negro American on the Supreme Court of the United States dealing with this issue … who dissented on the issue of marriage as well," Senator Abetz said.

The Oxford Dictionary says the word "negro" is an offensive term referring to a member of a black or dark-skinned group of peoples that exist or originated in Africa south of the Sahara.

It also refers to a name applied by colonists in Australia to Aboriginal people.

In November last year the US Army was reportedly forced to apologise after it emerged official policy stated it was acceptable to refer to a black service member as a "negro".

A new policy limits the acceptable terms to "Black or African American".

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull last month dumped Senator Abetz from the positions of leader of the government in the upper house and employment minister, creating a younger cabinet and a "21st-century government".

It is not the first time the conservative Tasmanian senator has committed a verbal slip-up.

Appearing on Channel Ten program The Project in August last year, Senator Abetz said numerous studies "assert that there is a link between abortion and breast cancer". He later denied drawing the link and said he was cut off before finishing his sentence.

In August this year he lashed out at his own colleagues leaking from cabinet, describing them as "gutless" just one day after then-prime minister Tony Abbott ordered his team to stay on message.

Earlier on Thursday, Senator Abetz unleashed a blistering attack on a proposal to have the current Parliament vote in favour of same-sex marriage ahead of a 2017 plebiscite, describing it as a "thought bubble" and "ambush to boot".
On 2UE, Smith and Senator Abetz had been discussing the right of bakers to refuse to make wedding cakes for gay couples who intended to wed.

Senator Abetz said business people had the right to make such decisions, adding if a baker refused to make a cake for a Liberal Party function "I don't think I should be able to sue them or put them out of business".

Smith suggested Senator Abetz would be furious at such a refusal and would stand up in the Senate to complain about "the cake that got knocked back".

Smith suggested the refusal was akin to saying "No Asians please, I don't like Asians so don't come in here and buy a cake", to which Senator Abetz launched his defence.

Negligent posted:

Were you unemployed for 8 weeks or more

I was unemployed for months :Brisbane:

• Locked thread