Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
wow you're creepy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
mgsv remains good

i wish that side ops would update while i'm doing them and that you could use the helicopter for fast travel though

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

For me a good amount of the appeal of Bethesda games is seeing what goofy poo poo is going to happen like walking into a room and dying because your head brushed against a chandelier which bounced off and rebounded into you at the speed of sound.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I liked fallout 3 so even if it's not as good as new Vegas I'll be happy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Space-Pope posted:

wow you're creepy

You are right and so I will never make another joke like that again

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
its really the pot calling the kettle black at best so i wouldn't take it personally

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 366 days!
i'm not paying $80 for fallout 4.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

corn in the bible posted:

You are right and so I will never make another joke like that again
thank you

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAUvVDVVUxU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hubris.height posted:

its really the pot calling the kettle black at best so i wouldn't take it personally

wait, am i the pot or the kettle in this analogy

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

that GC remake was loving great

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

hubris.height posted:

I don't think you need an analogy for a furry calling anyone else a creep.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

cant wait to see how quickly the paidmod distribution system gets cracked

im betting the resentment and badwill from may hasnt gone anywhere

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

scamtank posted:

this time it will be different!!!!

because they'll have complete control of the mod distribution system and since the mod tools won't be out until quite a while after launch it'll be paid mods or nothing

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

angry_keebler posted:

the best thing about bethesda games is the thousands of trash items with no purpose but to gently caress up and start noisily vibrating when they clip into the floor and then cause that cell to crash and corrupt your save

this happens because coordinates at runtime in the editor or the game engine are higher resolution than coordinates stored on disk in order to save space and reduce load times. exporting a level from the editor or saving your game (they use the same format, afaik) discards the low-order bits of everything which teleports them slightly at load time. and since you can rotate objects arbitrarily in three dimensions before setting them down, positioning all surfaces at multiples of the lower resolution won't help because the object can't have a "bottom" that is placed on the surface.

scamtank posted:

I'm betting the FO4 mod scene will be stillborn, choked with an endless supply of garbage overpriced cash-grabs that nobody will sort through to find anything that may be good

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 22, 2015

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
free hand of the market birch

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

pseudorandom name posted:

this happens because coordinates at runtime in the editor or the game engine are higher resolution than coordinates stored on disk in order to save space and reduce load times. exporting a level from the editor or saving your game (they use the same format, afaik) discards the low-order bits of everything which teleports them slightly at load time. and since you can rotate objects arbitrarily in three dimensions before setting them down, positioning all surfaces at multiples of the lower resolution won't help because the object can't have a "bottom" that is placed on the surface.

well a solution is to give each model a defined best guess orientation with a simple spherical com mesh and have a check that sees if any object in the cell with physics somehow has its com lower than the lowest local floor plane and if so disable clipping, move object an arbitrary distance above the floor and orient it into best guess and then enable clipping

of course this would have cool consequences like a stack of books where one bok slipped into a shelf and would suddenly rotate 90 degrees and cause everything else on the shelf to explode into the room killing anything in their path

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

you can buy a house and then never touch anything it in ever because you can't possibly put the things back

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
the paid mod thing could have been cool and good if it were just a "donate 2 da modders" button instead of things requiring money but lol valve

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it also could have been cool if the paid mods were any good rather than 20 bucks for an overpowered weapon you have to add with the console

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Korean Boomhauer posted:

the paid mod thing could have been cool and good if it were just a "donate 2 da modders" button instead of things requiring money but lol valve

i'm pretty sure they just want a donate 2 valve button

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
i haven't seen this much crying over video games since dlc was introduced

mostly because it's exactly the same arguments

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
vermintide is actually a good game. imagine left4dead but actually good. goes without saying but play with goon and not pubbies.

only 4 maps out till launch on friday and i have sunk a stupid amount of time into it

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

idk if my pc will run fallout 4. i could get the ps4 version but lol bethesda games on console

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Notorious QIG posted:

idk if my pc will run fallout 4. i could get the ps4 version but lol bethesda games on console

yeah i'm probably gonna wait and see people's impressions, i'm also due for a new computer update so probably after that

oh well, now i have a chance to try rising tide

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

computer parts posted:

i haven't seen this much crying over video games since dlc was introduced

mostly because it's exactly the same arguments

usually the devs have to put out some of their own effort for dlc

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Improbable Lobster posted:

usually the devs have to put out some of their own effort for dlc

yep, exactly the same arguments

"those devs spent 10 minutes (so essentially zero work) to make horse armor that costs 10% of the retail value of the game"

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

computer parts posted:

yep, exactly the same arguments

"those devs spent 10 minutes (so essentially zero work) to make horse armor that costs 10% of the retail value of the game"

I sure love getting nickeled and dimed for bite-size garbage content, and anyone who doesn't is living in the past.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

at the date posted:

I sure love getting nickeled and dimed for bite-size garbage content, and anyone who doesn't is living in the past.

it's like i'm in a time machine to 2005

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

computer parts posted:

it's like i'm in a time machine to 2005

I felt the same way when I played The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone. It was wonderful.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Space-Pope posted:

fo4 is going to be bad

evidence:
a) it's a bethesda game
b) it's set in boston
c) it's a bethesda game

C) you can't gently caress to dog.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

not yet but thats why there is a mod system knuc

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

you can get a quiet skin and then also gently caress to dog and wow fallout 4 is a great fallout game and the best mgs at the same time

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Notorious QIG posted:

you could instead finish bloodborne and then play the old hunters

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Someone buy me bloodborne.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
$30 at Amazon and best buy right now

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

$30 at Amazon and best buy right now

Digital?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The nzd and yen are both really bad right now. It would be way easier for an American to buy it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
knuc is just upset that he'll have to wait for 2016 before the GECK and its inevitable pedo mods come out

• Locked thread