Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aesop Poprock posted:

Really the only thing subway are scrooge about is meat, and you'll get like three paper thin slices of turkey hidden under an Easter - basket grass looking amount of lettuce

I have had bad experiences in multiple subways with olives. If I got a chicken bacon ranch or an italian sub I would ask for olives, and they would put like five slices of black olives on, essentially about one whole olive. I prefer my sandwich to be relatively homogenous and don't want each bite to be a mystery flavor adventure. Olive or no olive? Plus, especially on the chicken bacon ranch, olives were the only veggie I got other than lettuce, so it's not like I was destroying their budget or something. It just looked ridiculous anyhow, I'd have been embarrassed to do it if I worked there. I'd ask for a bit more, and get maybe three more slices and then be told I can get more but they'd charge extra.

I actually haven't had this problem in the last couple years, and I started saying stuff like "a small amount of lettuce and a lot of black olives" and I usually get a lot of black olives! yay! Maybe they changed their policy.

It's still usually a struggle to get more than one napkin, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

I rinse my noodles because my mother always rinsed her noodles. I've heard many arguments for and against it. In my personal experience, they stick less if they were rinsed the next time I use them, because I usually make a pound, eat half with freshly made sauce the one day, and the other half with eggs and cheese fried in a pan the other day. Adding a little oil helps, too, I know. I've never noticed a taste difference. I also never noticed a difference depending on if noodles are kept in boiling water at all times, or in ~80°C water which still should be enough to cook them (and won't overboil). I think there is absolutely not difference to whatever you do with noodles, and there is no reason to get mad at anyone for preparing them differently. Hell, there usually isn't, but even less with noodles.

No, it's fine. This is what happens if you don't rinse off normal pasta

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Aesop Poprock posted:

My brain wants to call it "Pasta Negra", but the rising bile in my stomach is yelling out "rear end in a top hat Surprise!"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The roe on top just drives home how much this isn't food.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

You can't tell me those aren't loving earthworms. One of them even has a clitellum

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

You found it!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Data Graham posted:

You found it!

:laffo:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

coldpudding posted:

I'm grabbing this, I have waited far too long to buy an avatar.

Good choice, ex-garbage dick.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I don't rinse my pasta because why would you rinse pasta what the hell

I only rinse noodles that are meant to be eaten cold, like naengmyeon (which kicks rear end by the way)

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

AnonSpore posted:

I don't rinse my pasta because why would you rinse pasta what the hell

I only rinse noodles that are meant to be eaten cold, like naengmyeon (which kicks rear end by the way)

Many if not most Americans do not dress the pasta with the sauce after cooking, and instead put the pasta on the plate or in the bowl and then ladle sauce on top. Concordantly the pasta can sometimes sit too long after draining and become gummy, hence the washing.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This makes me sadder than most of the poo poo in this thread. Because you know the person who made it thinks its a good appetizer plate even though it's just a mass of generic as gently caress salami, canned olives and brie. Even the Brits get it better because at least they gave us Huntsman cheese. Maybe it's because I grew up in an Italian family, and in Italian culture there is a huge amount of importance placed on the appetizer/antipasto plates. Mainly because most Italian food is made of cheap stuff (Lasagna, Manicotti, etc are mostly sauce/pasta/cheese) so the way you show off to your guests/neighbors is how many kinds of cured meats you can slam on a plate.

I hear you friend. My family is Donauschwaben and appetizer platters are always home cured sausage and meats. Included are usually pickled peppers and other pickled items. They take a lot of work and often come from several different family members with very specific recipes. A can of olives, some Hormel pepperoni, and cheese without even a knife or bread is sad.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I rinse pasta after cooking because if I don't, it's all stuck together by the time I can put the sauce on it. I know that ideally you're supposed to do it immediately, but I usually have two kids underfoot and am trying to do a million things at once, so the odds of sauce and noodles being done at the same time are slim. And yes I discovered rinsing by trial and error after having quite a few batches of pasta turn into sticky birds' nests while the sauce got finished.

Tossing with a little oil will have the same effect, but then the sauce won't stick either, which is problematic.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Mulva posted:

Many if not most Americans do not dress the pasta with the sauce after cooking, and instead put the pasta on the plate or in the bowl and then ladle sauce on top. Concordantly the pasta can sometimes sit too long after draining and become gummy, hence the washing.
What do you mean with "dressing the pasta"? I've never been aware of a method other than ladling afterwards. Do you put the fresh noodles into the saucepan?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Simply Simon posted:

What do you mean with "dressing the pasta"? I've never been aware of a method other than ladling afterwards. Do you put the fresh noodles into the saucepan?

Usually you're supposed to finish the pasta by adding the noodles to the sauce and cooking it in, yes.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Simply Simon posted:

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnLJRv-XpNs

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

pookel posted:

I rinse pasta after cooking because if I don't, it's all stuck together by the time I can put the sauce on it. I know that ideally you're supposed to do it immediately, but I usually have two kids underfoot and am trying to do a million things at once, so the odds of sauce and noodles being done at the same time are slim. And yes I discovered rinsing by trial and error after having quite a few batches of pasta turn into sticky birds' nests while the sauce got finished.

Tossing with a little oil will have the same effect, but then the sauce won't stick either, which is problematic.

Always start your pasta late is the one thing I've learned when trying to time everything. Just get the water on a boil and wait until the sauce is ready, it can simmer for the 8min or so the pasta takes just fine.
Sticky pasta in a draining colander sucks I know, but it doesn't need to be that way.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 18:41 on Oct 22, 2015

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Simply Simon posted:

Yes I learned it as the the 3P's pentola, padella, piatto.

Un chien andalou
Oct 22, 2008

The pipe is leaking

pookel posted:

I realize how pretentious this sounds, but all these people complaining about sticky pasta are probably using a crappy brand. lovely pasta tends to leech more starches after cooking. Barilla FTW!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Un chien andalou posted:

I realize how pretentious this sounds, but all these people complaining about sticky pasta are probably using a crappy brand. lovely pasta tends to leech more starches after cooking. Barilla FTW!

Assuming this is true, what in the making of the pasta affects this?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Assuming this is true, what in the making of the pasta affects this?

I assume it's an issue with really cheap pastas that use less durum wheat and more regular wheat.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

This thread makes me want to pasta. I will pasta tonight.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Whenever I make pasta (50/50 flour/semolina) it never, ever sticks. I've left half a pot of fresh-cooked homemade pasta for like half an hour between helpings and still had them not stick.

Cheap noodles, however, will stick in the strainer after a minute. GRR.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

DekeThornton posted:

I assume it's an issue with really cheap pastas that use less durum wheat and more regular wheat.
Cheap pasta around here is 100% durum (because locally grown) and sticks pretty bad.

I would assume the shape of the noodles matters, too. I prefer angel hair any time it's appropriate, which does tend to clump.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

AnonSpore posted:

This thread makes me want to pasta. I will pasta tonight.

And you are free to make it how you want. Rinsing or no rinsing, it's your choice!

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Picnic Princess posted:

And you are free to make it how you want. Rinsing or no rinsing, it's your choice!

A good traditional carbonara is Always nice. Remember to not skimp on the cream and don't forget the peas!

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

DekeThornton posted:

A good traditional carbonara is Always nice. Remember to not skimp on the cream and don't forget the peas!

You mean sour cream, right? We don't want any confusion!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
All I know is my brother and his ex tried to make Spaghetti Bolognaise once but they forgot to rinse the spaghetti so it became a starchy lump that was just gross.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I don't know why people in other places insist on including the "bolognaise" when talking about spaghetti.

Content: deconstructed pasta and deconstructed spaghetti.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

can we just rename the thread to 'whatever pictures of food you have laying around'

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

pookel posted:

I don't know why people in other places insist on including the "bolognaise" when talking about spaghetti.

What's wrong with it?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

What's wrong with it?

It's just too drat tasty

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Efexeye posted:

can we just rename the thread to 'whatever pictures of food you have laying around'

No, because it was just renamed to "arguing about pasta," sorry.

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
a bloo blooo my opinions about pasta preparation are interesting ones

ghost host has a new favorite as of 23:19 on Oct 22, 2015

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
You guys are blowing my mind, do people actually just put sauce on top of a big pile of pasta instead of finishing the pasta in the sauce(pan)?

Do you guys use salt when cooking pasta?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

DekeThornton posted:

Please die

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

You guys are blowing my mind, do people actually just put sauce on top of a big pile of pasta instead of finishing the pasta in the sauce(pan)?

Do you guys use salt when cooking pasta?

In most cases, yes and no respectively.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

AnonSpore posted:

Please die

I know it might sound bad to use a lot of cream but if you skip the high cholesterol egg yolk, use an organic gluten free pasta and this :

you can have a true genuine Italian carbonara without endangering your health.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Using that stuff instead of Parmesan saves you a whopping half gram of fat per serving. It's still 50% fat.

The joy of eating a good carbonara is like eating ortolan; it's shameful. True genuine Italian carbonara should almost kill you to eat.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

diabeetz posted:

a bloo blooo my opinions about pasta preparation are interesting ones

Is that Olive Garden? I swear when I ordered a seafood pasta dish from them that's exactly how it looked. There was virtually no actual seafood in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

QUICK! Apply the "rear end" filter to my once in a lifetime picture of, My food.

VendaGoat has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Oct 22, 2015

• Locked thread