Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GSD posted:

"When in fact, historically, bears never respected military access treaties." :allears:

Bears also hibernate for many months at a time without waking up to piss or poo poo, they recycle their waste.

PARADOX WHY DOES JAN MAYEN MAUL ME DURING WINTER immersion ruined :negative:

:biotruths:

Edit: holy poo poo I just formed the Kingdom of God as Papal State which disables the Papacy and apparently gives you the Papal Controller bonuses permanently?! goddamn

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoSaff
Feb 13, 2012

Everything is fine.
Poland just released Galacia-Volhynia through rebels and I was really interested to see something radically different going on over there but Crimea and Lithuania both declared wars of conquest almost immediately.

It's a shame - new nations always seem to either be conquered by a neighbour within a few years or get re-annexed by their old rulers.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

PittTheElder posted:

As long as their cores don't expire, yes.

Also, while we all (correctly) love to poo poo on the Paradox forums, sometimes they produce real gems. I give you the Historicity Problem

It would be kind of cool to have a national idea that allows them military access through every country.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YoSaff posted:

Poland just released Galacia-Volhynia through rebels and I was really interested to see something radically different going on over there but Crimea and Lithuania both declared wars of conquest almost immediately.

It's a shame - new nations always seem to either be conquered by a neighbour within a few years or get re-annexed by their old rulers.
Maybe the new Revanchism mechanic will help rebel spawned countries. Because they have enthusiasm and a will to survive, so having a certain amount of revanchism upon breaking free would make some sense, I guess?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Cynic Jester posted:

You should get administrative or influence next. If you want a military idea set, grab Defensive or Quality. Sweden benefits more from a Prussia style super soldier approach than a Russian meatgrinder approach. The only worthwhile reason to grab quantity when you're not colonizing is if you are somehow morally opposed to mercenaries. You shouldn't be, mercenaries are great. If all your infantry is mercenaries, sure, it costs a bit more, but manpower ceases to be a problem. And money is trivially easy to generate absurd amounts of when you've reached the point of looking at a 4th idea set.

Yeah that makes sense, I always kind of assumed Influence was only for vassals but I see how it'd be useful for players all the time. I will try the Admin+mercs combo, it has to be better than bleeding off all my manpower in every war.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Bort Bortles posted:

Maybe the new Revanchism mechanic will help rebel spawned countries. Because they have enthusiasm and a will to survive, so having a certain amount of revanchism upon breaking free would make some sense, I guess?

I think that would be an excellent use of the revanchism mechanic.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah that makes sense, I always kind of assumed Influence was only for vassals but I see how it'd be useful for players all the time. I will try the Admin+mercs combo, it has to be better than bleeding off all my manpower in every war.

I almost always get diplo and influence, because the AE reduction plus the province war score cost is extremely good, and that's not even getting in to the various policies those two idea groups have, most of which are extremely useful in certain circumstances. And even if you plan to never use vassals significantly, Influence/Diplo will let you hold stronger AI allies for longer, and more of them too. Diplo Rep goes a long way with most AI diplomatic decisions.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
This game is frustrating. I'm playing as the Papal States, with Urbino and Siena as vassals.

France DoWs me for Avignon, which I would gladly give up without a fight, but they want to annihilate my whole army first. Ok.

Then a 3-province Pisa DoWs me, and while my 12 stack fights their 12 stack, Siena just watches the fight from a hill. Those 3,000 men would have made all the difference but they don't help. At. All. I've even set their stance to supportive.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

From Wiz's twitter, 1.14 cements itself as Best Patch by adding a continue button.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bort Bortles posted:

The problem is just that newly released countries rarely seem to find allies. So they just inevitably get gobbled up.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tendronai posted:

From Wiz's twitter, 1.14 cements itself as Best Patch by adding a continue button.
:vince:

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Tendronai posted:

Best... addition... EVER!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Mystic_Shadow posted:

This game is frustrating. I'm playing as the Papal States, with Urbino and Siena as vassals.

France DoWs me for Avignon, which I would gladly give up without a fight, but they want to annihilate my whole army first. Ok.

Then a 3-province Pisa DoWs me, and while my 12 stack fights their 12 stack, Siena just watches the fight from a hill. Those 3,000 men would have made all the difference but they don't help. At. All. I've even set their stance to supportive.

A) As Papal states it is usually much easier to sell Avignon to France if they ever become hostile in the early game

B) Check your vassal's liberty desire, if it is 50% or greater they will not assist you in battle. Sometimes the AI is also braindead and doesn't do anything, usually reloading the save will give them a kick in the rear end and make them get going.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

drat, I'm playing as Ethiopia. I win my first big war vs the Mamlukes, yes! It took all my manpower and my super general and king both died before it was over, but I've won and crippled my first big enemies forever!

And then while consolidating I lose track of my notifications, and 30,000 rebels spawn, led by a four shock general. That's more than the Mamluke's total force limit ever was! Took out loans, bought literally all the mercenaries in the entire region, and still lost -- thanks, four shock! Well, now I have no army, no manpower, no money, and am about to lose all the provinces I just won to bullshit rebel stacks. It's this sort of thing that really sucks the fun out of a run.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Smiling Knight posted:

drat, I'm playing as Ethiopia. I win my first big war vs the Mamlukes, yes! It took all my manpower and my super general and king both died before it was over, but I've won and crippled my first big enemies forever!

And then while consolidating I lose track of my notifications, and 30,000 rebels spawn, led by a four shock general. That's more than the Mamluke's total force limit ever was! Took out loans, bought literally all the mercenaries in the entire region, and still lost -- thanks, four shock! Well, now I have no army, no manpower, no money, and am about to lose all the provinces I just won to bullshit rebel stacks. It's this sort of thing that really sucks the fun out of a run.

Don't fight wars and lose all your manpower in the future, it's important to fighting rebels! Better yet, let other people do the fighting for you.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Smiling Knight posted:

You shouldn't expend your resources against the Mamluks in any significant way as Ethiopia. Face it: they're screwed no matter what you do, because the Ottomans want all of their territory. Take advantage of that and declare war after the Mamluk army has been destroyed already.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Jazerus posted:

You shouldn't expend your resources against the Mamluks in any significant way as Ethiopia. Face it: they're screwed no matter what you do, because the Ottomans want all of their territory. Take advantage of that and declare war after the Mamluk army has been destroyed already.

That was the plan. Wait for the Ottomans to declare war, then pounce. They were even involved in a war against QQ as well! But they (wisely) decided to pull their armies back from Iraq, marched passed the Turks, and sent all their men at me.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Re: Papal State, here's my current Holy Trinity run:

The start can be a little rocky because France and probably another major power will rival you, plus there are a bunch of midsize Italian neighbors who will jump at any opportunity to take your poo poo. A couple strong allies (Austria and joining the HRE is a good idea) is crucial.

Once you're rolling it's a beast though. Decent military ideas, vastly wealthy, infinite Prestige, no regencies or stab hits on ruler death.

I'm just about to war dec the Ottomans and Tunis there, the Ottos look kind of scary but they'll be a cakewalk, frankly. I'm so huge at this point really nothing can stop me short of a huge coalition war. Holy Trinity achievement will be very doable with the time left in the game and I already have TO, LO, and Knights as Marches. Leon is a vassal and Iberia is simply mop-up work, I broke their back a few decades ago.

Not sure what other achievements I should aim for, All Your Trade should be easy too.

Edit: the secret to my success was MERRRRRRCS

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 22, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
The AI is a dick.

edit: The AI is doubly a dick. If I tag over to Novgorod, they can't even SEE Haixi.

edit2: Or! It might be a consequence of my own shameful cheating.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 22, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

You yesman'd didn't you

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Yes, man I did.

Tried not to, but when all three other potential Manchus attack you at the same time, it's a little hard to resist.

edit: Agh, drat. I did all that because Tengriism seems pretty great, and I thought I could allow tengri rebels to flip me back after I'm converted to confucianism by forming Manchu. But I guess they don't convert your state religion even if they win when you're majority tengri.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 22, 2015

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Does anyone have the link to the picture-guide of the optimal method of going from Venice to Byzantium? I've almost gotten there but I usually collapse under the weight of religious instability while trying to convert to Orthodox.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

420 Gank Mid posted:

A) As Papal states it is usually much easier to sell Avignon to France if they ever become hostile in the early game

B) Check your vassal's liberty desire, if it is 50% or greater they will not assist you in battle. Sometimes the AI is also braindead and doesn't do anything, usually reloading the save will give them a kick in the rear end and make them get going.

Yeah I ended up winning that war after taking out 20 loans and just outlasting Pisa. Turns out that Siena wasn't even my ally in the war, for some reason. Thanks for the tips though.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Dorkopotamis posted:

Does anyone have the link to the picture-guide of the optimal method of going from Venice to Byzantium? I've almost gotten there but I usually collapse under the weight of religious instability while trying to convert to Orthodox.

http://imgur.com/a/HNNvv

I wouldn't say it's optimal, but it's a good overview. My main criticisms of that particular guide are 1) Humanism is totally optional and I'd say inferior to Administrative, and 2) he is REALLY optimistic about time frames. Notice the screenshots in the guide mostly crop out the date, heh. He says you should wait until ~1550 to form Byz because by then you own most of Italy. You will not own Italy by then, 1550 is a good target to conquer the provinces necessary to form Byz, culture swap, and flip to Orthodox. You'll be running on manpower fumes the whole time. The second +RT event fires between 1520 and 1560 so you'll want to wait until then anyway, just don't feel like you should also have conquered Italy by then loving lol. Venice -> Byz doesn't really take off until the late 1500s once you've formed Byz and converted most of your provinces, built up some manpower.

I like Admin over Humanist. You're going to convert everything to Orthodox with your Byzantine turbo-missionaries anyway, and you blow a lot of ADM points culture switching and conquering, plus the merc discount is extremely nice. You can check some of my earlier posts on Venice -> Byz and there was another goon or two who did slightly different idea setups.

It's very possible to punch Mamluks and then colonize, or just conquer around the Mediterranean.

-Just culture swap Greek and flip to Orthodox ASAP. All of the special events are tied to the Venice tag except for the Inquisition which requires you be Catholic. It is NOT worth holding off converting Orthodox to try and snag the tolerance and religious unity bonus.
-Your troops are fairly bad even after switching to Byz, but you'll have decent manpower as Byzantium. Mercs. Mercs mercs mercs especially early game you're wealthy but have poo poo for manpower.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, Admin seems like a way better pick.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I'm trying for Baltic Crusader as TO and might pick up some other stuff on the way.

I'm debatibg if I should take Religious or Humanism as 4th idea (already have Administration, Influence and Defensive)

With the TO national ideas I dont know if I need the additional missionaries and strength, and that -50% culture threshold looks so nice on Humanism

Thoughts?

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
The Baltic region is filled with worthless 2 province cultures, and most of your small cultures will be washed out no matter what by Prussian and Russian, so Humanist doesn't help with that. You're going to be converting everything for the achievement anyway so the religious unity and tolerance is also a waste. The lowered separatism is useful, however.

Religious gives you a great CB, extra conversion power, and a discipline policy with Quality if you plan on doing the 125% discipline Prussia achievement. The stability cost decrease isn't important for the TO and culture conversion cost is worthless.

Overall Religious is probably more useful but neither is especially important. Consider taking another military idea, Offensive or Quality.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Yashichi posted:

Overall Religious is probably more useful but neither is especially important. Consider taking another military idea, Offensive or Quality.

Yeah I'd agree, unless you're drowning in ADM points grab another military idea.

If you absolutely must have an ADM line pick, Innovative wouldn't be half bad. Religious and Humanist are kinda meh as you have those bases covered

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Pellisworth posted:

I like Admin over Humanist. You're going to convert everything to Orthodox with your Byzantine turbo-missionaries anyway, and you blow a lot of ADM points culture switching and conquering, plus the merc discount is extremely nice. You can check some of my earlier posts on Venice -> Byz and there was another goon or two who did slightly different idea setups.

Humanist is a bit wasted with Byzantium, yes. I'd pick Admin, Expansion or Religious over it in a heartbeat. Religious mostly for the CB, as you don't really need any help with conversions as Byzantium and you get infinite missionaries from all the holy cities you grab.

My biggest problem with the guide is that it doesn't raise the possibility of grabbing Byz as a vassal before the Ottos truck in. Sure, you'll miss out on a bit of development from Constantinople being taken, then taken back, but it means you can reconquest all the greek provinces from the Ottos in a single war and annex them with diplo points, which is supremely helpful when you need to both convert religion and culture and it also means you spend less time with poo poo religious unity. In addition, it lets you expand more in the Balkans/HRE as you're not dumping all your admin points into coring Greece(I took Austrias gold mine. Suck it HRE) . In my opinion it leaves you in a much better place than if you core Greece yourself.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Diplomatic Feedback dev diary is up.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Wiz posted:

Dang, I was just thinking how nice it was that, while all the new features of the expansion sound nice and worth buying, nothing's put me in that pre-expansion mode where I don't want to play because I'm thinking of all the cool new features I don't have yet. I think this one finally did it. :(

I do worry a little bit about the fact that your allies won't go to war "out of the goodness of their hearts" anymore and want something out of that particular war... will the AI consider "this alliance is too important to break" as a reason to go to war? I know when I answer my ally's calls to arms it's usually because I need their alliance farther down the road, not because I want something out of that immediate war.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Dang, I was just thinking how nice it was that, while all the new features of the expansion sound nice and worth buying, nothing's put me in that pre-expansion mode where I don't want to play because I'm thinking of all the cool new features I don't have yet. I think this one finally did it. :(

I do worry a little bit about the fact that your allies won't go to war "out of the goodness of their hearts" anymore and want something out of that particular war... will the AI consider "this alliance is too important to break" as a reason to go to war? I know when I answer my ally's calls to arms it's usually because I need their alliance farther down the road, not because I want something out of that immediate war.

That is simulated by spending Favors. Defensive calls won't require you to bribe them though.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Wiz posted:

Oh gently caress that is cool.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Smiling Knight posted:

That was the plan. Wait for the Ottomans to declare war, then pounce. They were even involved in a war against QQ as well! But they (wisely) decided to pull their armies back from Iraq, marched passed the Turks, and sent all their men at me.

Declaring war when the Ottomans do is tempting, but not a good idea because the AI will say "hey, at least there's one war I can have a fair fight in" and that war is yours. Watch their army in the ledger and pounce when they are completely annihilated by the Turks - not a day before. A little later, when you are bigger and they are smaller, it will be important to declare at the same time as the Turks do, since at that point it is a race to Jerusalem, Alexandria, the Nile Delta provinces, etc. which you want to deny to the Ottomans.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Wiz posted:

:eyepop:
This will potentially be the best expansion ever.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
drat that's gonna make starts as countries like Byzantium way harder :mmmhmm:

looks really really cool though, this should completely change how diplomacy works wow.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Wiz posted:

Awesome stuff. I assume the new diplomatic system means that having big brother alliances to help you along are now over? (Like Byzantium allying with Poland and wrecking the crap out of the Ottomans)

e:f,b

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
That new Diplo stuff looks great. I can't wait for 1.14 to drop.

Less than a century left, but I think I'm on track for Master of India at this rate. My biggest concern is that some of the provinces I need are owned by mega Ming.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Transmetropolitan posted:

Awesome stuff. I assume the new diplomatic system means that having big brother alliances to help you along are now over? (Like Byzantium allying with Poland and wrecking the crap out of the Ottomans)

e:f,b

It's not over, but you'll actually have to do things for them in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Does this include the change you talked about a while back, where if you join a war where the AI needs your help, but then do nothing, the AI gets pissed?

• Locked thread