Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I picked up the first Galaxy Note, I was in the 99c Pizza Shop on Fifth Ave in NY, and some lady started screaming at me "LOOK AT THAT TINY iPAD" and she grabbed her friend and they both started yelling at me "IS THAT THE NEW TINY IPAD WHERE DID YOU GET THE NEW TINY IPAD." They took pictures of it and flipped out. I twas horrible.

99c Fresh or Best 99c?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
So Blackberry accidentally posted the Priv on their official store early (now taken down). Official unlocked price is $749 US, $949 CAN which is just :lol: (and too bad because I wanted the phone but not enough to pay iPhone/Galaxy Note prices for it). Someone over at Crackberry posted the full specs from the removed store page if you're curious.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Haha, just did a quick night time camera comparison between the 5 and 5X. It's pretty dark out my front door with only an LED street lamp across the street. The 5 would not even focus on anything.

http://imgur.com/a/35PVL

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

nocal posted:

I ordered a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 5, both shipped to the correct address. They shipped my phone to an address I didn't even remember, let alone type in, that I haven't had anything delivered to in 10 years.

When I called, they told me that there will be a long wait to talk to the shipping department. The shipping department told me that they're having a lot of issues surrounding this.

I asked that it be held at Fed Ex, and it wasn't.

If you can explain to me why it used an address from an ancient Google Wallet purchase, and not from a more recent purchase, I'll accept that it's my own stupid fault.

It's your own stupid fault regardless for failing to review an order worth hundreds of dollars? Why are you expecting pity for clicking your money away? Most people here can't afford to be flippant about that level of spending and will spend twenty seconds reading over the order summary before submitting, don't hope for any empathy when you can't do the most basic reading.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Mr.Radar posted:

So Blackberry accidentally posted the Priv on their official store early (now taken down). Official unlocked price is $749 US, $949 CAN which is just :lol: (and too bad because I wanted the phone but not enough to pay iPhone/Galaxy Note prices for it). Someone over at Crackberry posted the full specs from the removed store page if you're curious.

That's...actually quite a good looking phone. I might have considered getting one if I hadn't just purchased a 5X.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Please, for the love of god, nobody buy a Blackberry Priv.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's your own stupid fault regardless for failing to review an order worth hundreds of dollars? Why are you expecting pity for clicking your money away? Most people here can't afford to be flippant about that level of spending and will spend twenty seconds reading over the order summary before submitting, don't hope for any empathy when you can't do the most basic reading.

Nah I think he got inconvenienced by a buggy system. :shrug:

Whether it's worth continuing to post about is a separate question to which the answer is no.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 20, 2018

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I wasn't asking for pity, or hoping for empathy, whatever that means. I was hoping some of you that had orders would double check your shipping address, in case you had an old one listed in Google Wallet, like I did. After all, most people here can't afford to be flippant about that level of spending!!

But more importantly than not getting your phone, having to get a refund, and redo your order: weird dudes online will be take offense to what amounts to an inconvenience. Don't bother replying to this because I can't do the most basic reading, and since I can't count on any empathy I'll probably just be killing myself by shoving a Nexus Q up my distended rear end in a top hat you aspergian one-note dullard

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You should get the Xperia Z3, or read the thread.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Congratulations, you've gotten yourself into more hours of fixing your device because you didn't read. Perhaps consult a guide or forum thread before modifying device firmware.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Whelp after reading the 5x reviews I'm pretty happy I chose the G4. You know what's really awesome about the G4? The REMOVABLE BATTERY and MICROSD CARD SLOT. I mean, those things are awesome, I don't know how anyone could go without them in this day and age. Of course, the phone is a little large and the leather backing is kind of slippery. I think I should get some GRIP TAPE.

*runs*

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

nocal posted:

I was hoping some of you that had orders would double check your shipping address, in case you had an old one listed in Google Wallet, like I did.

We did double check them, before we mashed the order button.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

the nicker posted:

Haha, just did a quick night time camera comparison between the 5 and 5X. It's pretty dark out my front door with only an LED street lamp across the street. The 5 would not even focus on anything.

http://imgur.com/a/35PVL
2/4 are with the 5X? drat, those are pretty good for very low light shots.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

I'll buy one for my mother once RIM determine it's a failure and firesale it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Magog posted:

I'll buy one for my mother once RIM determine it's a failure and firesale it.

Why would you do that to her?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
[

Super Dude posted:

We did double check them, before we mashed the order button.

No but lol Google since the last thing you see before you click the send button is a drop down where you select the ship to address. Also lol Google since FedEx didn't honor his hold request. Also lol Google because just to the Google Store for help lol I guess.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Mr.Radar posted:

loving hell, BlackBerry, now I need to decide if I preorder or if I wait for the inevitable belly flop which causes them to get cleared out on Woot or Groupon.

BottleKnight posted:

Your hate only makes me stronger!

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

No but lol Google since the last thing you see before you click the send button is a drop down where you select the ship to address. Also lol Google since FedEx didn't honor his hold request. Also lol Google because just to the Google Store for help lol I guess.

I can see why you're skeptical, since Google usually has such seamless product launches.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Laminator posted:

My fiancee has a Moto X Verizon Developer's Edition on T-Mobile. She decided to listen to the phone and installed an OTA software update that took her to 5.1 (I think) and it totally broke her phone. She used to be able to get 2 days on a single charge and now the Android OS is eating up battery and her phone is dying in less than a day. It's also hot to the touch - clearly the phone is working to do something. This is not really an acceptable thing for her since she's a doctor and needs to have her phone working when she's on call. I tried Googling and saw lots of posts about the Jellybean update totally taking a poo poo on the Moto X but no clear solution. Any input that may resolve this, outside of rooting her device and installing a new OS (not ideal either for her)?

Well, first of all, I don't know anyone who has been able to get 2 days out of a single charge on the Moto X.

Second of all, if this was the first gen Moto X, it shipped with Jellybean in 2013. It was updated to Kit Kat in 2014. The most recent update (5.1) is Lollipop, which the first gen Moto X has received.

Start removing apps and resetting the cache.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I ordered the 5x on Sunday. They estimated my delivery between the 28th and 30th. I got notice it shipped yesterday. Its being delivered today.

edit - everyone is gouging on the USB A to C wires. Even Monoprice $14 drat.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 22, 2015

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

Laminator posted:

My fiancee has a Moto X Verizon Developer's Edition on T-Mobile. She decided to listen to the phone and installed an OTA software update that took her to 5.1 (I think) and it totally broke her phone. She used to be able to get 2 days on a single charge and now the Android OS is eating up battery and her phone is dying in less than a day. It's also hot to the touch - clearly the phone is working to do something. This is not really an acceptable thing for her since she's a doctor and needs to have her phone working when she's on call. I tried Googling and saw lots of posts about the Jellybean update totally taking a poo poo on the Moto X but no clear solution. Any input that may resolve this, outside of rooting her device and installing a new OS (not ideal either for her)?

If she really needs it guaranteed to work, just get her a battery pack. Her phone has a 2200mAh battery.

Cute lipstick sized one (will do one full charge and then a little more): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005X1Y7I2?keywords=portable%20charger&qid=1445528425&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Tons of juice that will charge her phone 6 times over: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K64WR9C?keywords=portable%20charger&qid=1445528425&ref_=sr_1_5&sr=8-5

She can keep it in her purse/pocket with the phone and keep it charged.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Hopefully this is the right thread for this question. Has anyone had trouble getting the Samsung Smart Switch Mobile app to work properly? Specifically, getting the app to stop turning off the WiFi? I'm trying to transfer info from my old HTC One to this new S6 I got last night, and whenever I activate the app it completely shuts down the wifi. It does this on both phones. 90% of my info from the old phone was on Google's servers, but there are some settings, some audio files, and some manually entered contacts I'd like to transfer over. poo poo is frustrating.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nocal posted:

I can see why you're skeptical, since Google usually has such seamless product launches.

I know right, jesus what a joke this process is:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

FogHelmut posted:

edit - everyone is gouging on the USB A to C wires. Even Monoprice $14 drat.

Lots of reasonably priced ones on ebay, I just picked up 2 of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-1-Type-C-Male-to-USB-3-0-A-Male-Cable-/261840366171?hash=item3cf6e6ea5b:g:PycAAOSw-vlViFfQ

(You can probably find some w/ free shipping. I paid in Ebay Bucks so I wasn't too discerning.)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sirotan posted:

Lots of reasonably priced ones on ebay, I just picked up 2 of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-1-Type-C-Male-to-USB-3-0-A-Male-Cable-/261840366171?hash=item3cf6e6ea5b:g:PycAAOSw-vlViFfQ

(You can probably find some w/ free shipping. I paid in Ebay Bucks so I wasn't too discerning.)

http://www.amazon.com/Multi-Colour-...&keywords=usb-c

This is the best deal I found, four for $20, that's $5 apiece. One for desk, car, bedside, and a gimme bonus.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I know right, jesus what a joke this process is:

I'm typing my address into the promotion code box, why isn't it working?

On a somewhat related note, I unexpectedly got a better job and now have a 6P due to arrive at at my current office after I leave, and I can't reorder it since it has been out of stock in the UK for a couple of weeks now. Will have to sweet talk our receptionists into holding it for me :) .

Went into Carphone Warehouse yesterday to fondle the fake plastic one that they have on display. It's pretty big, but I think I can deal with it. They have a huge tether on the back so I couldn't really hold it properly but it's definitely a lot more manageable than the N6.

They also had a (real working) 5X on display. Really nice device, feels much higher quality than I expected.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

This is the best deal I found, four for $20, that's $5 apiece. One for desk, car, bedside, and a gimme bonus.

Hah, that one also jacked up the price. It was first posted in this thread at $15.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sirotan posted:

~$8 shipped isn't bad. The majority of the reasonably priced cheap ones on eBay are from China, 6 to 8 weeks delivery.

Estimated Delivery Date: Nov. 19 - Dec. 3 when you choose Standard at checkout.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Tunga posted:

Went into Carphone Warehouse yesterday to fondle the fake plastic one that they have on display.
It's never fails to make me laugh that "Carphone Warehouse" is still the name of a relevant store in the UK.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

berzerker posted:

It's never fails to make me laugh that "Carphone Warehouse" is still the name of a relevant store in the UK.

Same. Meanwhile Future Shop, the best name for an electronics store ever, went under.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
E: derp, nvm.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 22, 2015

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Does the Nexus 6p have any features like the big iPhone that help with one handed use? For example, you can double tap the home button on the iPhone and it shrinks down the screen to put things within thumb reach.

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/reachability-iphone-6/

This is like the opposite of those loving morons that buy the short box trucks knowing very well they will want to put their bikes or whatever in it, then having to buy the loving platform that allows you to park the bike half way on top of the loving cab because they were too stupid to just buy a real truck in the first place! You could just buy a reasonably sized phone! Except there are none made anymore! AaaaaahahahahaahahhahugfiweharuilghERUILHGERg

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
So ordering one of the new Nexuses gets you three free months of Play Music. EXCEPT if you were already subscribed at any point within the past year. What a bummer.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Got my N5X delivered. Quick question, I thought I read that the Google Now Launcher would now allow rotating the launcher screen to landscape, but I don't see that setting? Did I miss it, or is that not the case?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

berzerker posted:

Yeah, I was laughing about this with some friends yesterday. Though, frankly, it is a better name that the cringeworthy "Phones4U"

Edit:

Red Warrior posted:

Got my N5X delivered. Quick question, I thought I read that the Google Now Launcher would now allow rotating the launcher screen to landscape, but I don't see that setting? Did I miss it, or is that not the case?
This seems to have disappeared with Marshmallow release. It was in the preview builds. Weird.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 22, 2015

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

When did you guys order your N5Xs and 6Ps that you're having delivery already, I'm looking at November 18th expected.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Tunga posted:

This seems to have disappeared with Marshmallow release. It was in the preview builds. Weird.

Welp back to Nova then, thanks.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

When did you guys order your N5Xs and 6Ps that you're having delivery already, I'm looking at November 18th expected.

Ordered my 5X like 30 seconds after they opened up ordering. Did you get a 6P? I don't think those are shipping yet.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

BottleKnight posted:

Why?

Besides the focus on security possibly killing a dev community around the device (assuming someone won't find a way with enough determination), and it being overpriced, it seems like a solid phone.

It has a tried and true SoC (Snapdragon 808), a QHD screen that is just short of phablet territory (5.4"), a decent sized battery, expandable storage, a potentially good camera, and a great physical keyboard. All while still being relatively thin and solidly built.

Unless you just hate Blackberry/RIM and want them to die, I really don't see any reasons to not get this phone besides the two I just mentioned earlier.

I personally won't be getting one though. As attractive as having a good physical keyboard is, it is a bit ridiculous to be spending over $600 on an unlocked phone. After $600, you essentially enter the "land of diminishing returns."

Still, won't deny it's a solid looking phone.

Rahu X fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 22, 2015

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Yeah I ordered a 6P and figured November was reasonable but I perked up reading posts of delivered 5xs.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Ordered 5X on Monday, received yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Have any review sites had the 6P long enough to comment on regular battery life?