Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

frank.club posted:

I have an anaconda. I've beaten the game

Actually that depends entirely on your perspective. Achieving the anaconda, 4 months ago, I realized I was only beginning to see what Elite had to offer.

I have (fully fitted according to purpose): TradeConda, MinerPython, PewPewFDL (main), SmugglerAsp, and ExplorerCobra (along with random haulers as taxi's), and random ships to mark my trade routes / POI's on the map.

3 imp ships at stock sitting in the various stations i bought them at.

no_recall fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I don't regret my iClip purchase, I just need to sort out the weapons because all beam is just too energy intensive, and it's not quick enough to Cannons Up rear end like a Vulture

Clipper is significantly faster than Vulture. Top speed 341 m/s vs Vultures 215.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I played about with the iClipper fit to get a multirole spec that doesn't have power issues (if that matters to you): http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_...%27s%20iClipper

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Adult Sword Owner posted:

iClippy thoughts

* Clipper is massive and I keep hitting poo poo I think I'd miss. I can finally orbit asteroids a bit but it took a while.
* Still power hungry with 4x lasers pouring out
* Ramming guys who are at 50% while you have full shields is in fact hilarious and effective
* Seriously thinking about swapping out my Large for multi-cannons just so I can pour damage into power plants when shields drop, which is maybe 25% of any given fight even with two mediums constantly firing. I don't mind reloads because its < 1 LS of a jump and I prefer a break so I don't do something stupid and lose a ton of turn-ins
* I have like 20m left and that feels bad

AND THE SOUND! Nobody mentions the sound but those clipper engines literally purr like it's an 80 million credit bionic housecat. I love it.

I run the 2x Large Pulse (G) and 2x Medium Multi's (G) on the clipper and don't run into power issues or anything.

I also ran into a lot of poo poo before figuring out roughly where my nacelles were taking up space. The first time I flew it out of a station I boosted as I was coming up on the mail slot from inside. Luckily I had 4 pips to shields because I totally smashed the right engine into the station wall and pinwheeled out of the station at mach jesus.

Met posted:

Traded in my Fer De Lance for a Clipper. 40mil more all together than my FDL but I enjoy it.

I think the FDL is ugly anyway.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

LCL-Dead posted:

I think the FDL is ugly anyway.

The non-symmetric window strut-things made my head hurt :(

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I hope we see a similar event for Fed ships soon. I don't want a mary-sue Space Learjet, but a morally sound brick of guns would be nice. The FAS had a good reception, how's the FGS?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Sard posted:

I hope we see a similar event for Fed ships soon. I don't want a mary-sue Space Learjet, but a morally sound brick of guns would be nice. The FAS had a good reception, how's the FGS?

It's bad but it looks like it has a fighter bay hatch, so it might be better in the future.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
"Those weapons you have will fetch a pretty price", said the pirate NPC before opening fire. On a Cobra, with no hardpoints, and 25 metric tons of literal poo poo in the cargo hold.

:downs:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

frank.club posted:

It's only missing a A6 fsd which is turning into a quest to find
Founder's world stocks everything all the time (and every ship too).

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Don't know where to find a specific ship or piece of equipment?
The community provides again with this handy website http://ed-td.space/en/29/Outfitting. :keke:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

15mill iClips can be bought and mostly A fitted in Arjung. 9 jumps in a hauler from Goat :v:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

SquirrelGrip posted:

good luck sir

I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing, I've plotted a 400ly course to the Nebula and checking the jumps for suns I can scoop from. Then I'm just scanning everything I can and hopefully surviving?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

OriginalPseudonym posted:

"Those weapons you have will fetch a pretty price", said the pirate NPC before opening fire. On a Cobra, with no hardpoints, and 25 metric tons of literal poo poo in the cargo hold.

:downs:

I had a pirate attack my Cobra for it's two Cargo Limpets.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
CG to build a station out in the Pleiades is go.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/5628b4e29657ba887cc6c8a6

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Oh wonder if this will be built by the time I get there, assuming it's getting built in the x-box universe as well of course.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
As the official Clipper fanboy in this land, I feel like I should come give some words of advice on Clippers.

1) Clipper is not Vulture maneuverable. It has very weak vertical thrust and its pitch rate is not as quick. It's one of the few ships that you really need to FA off and abuse thrusters to pitch adequately with.

2) That said, Clipper is aaaaamaaaazingggg at lateral thrusting and yawing. It will lat thrust and yaw better than any ship in the game besides Couriers. Clipper is for ghost riding various whips.

3) Any guns on a Clipper are good guns, provided they are gimballed. You can turret the medium slots if you're lazy, then if someone does that annoying "fly right overhead on you" thing, you just roll over and let them eat those lasers again.

4) Anyone who is saying they routinely dunk on Clippers and so on must be talking about PVE, because PVP they are one of the top two ships, period. Sometimes you get pilots who are bad in them and cannot ram, especially now that they are rank-free, but generally Clippers are bad news bears and also ramming owns.

5) Ramming owns, ram everything. The Clipper is a large kinetic weapon with some lasers attached. If you're real pro, remember you have giaaaant wings, so if you miss the ram the first time, just roll violently as you are passing under and try to slap them with your fin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0qMT2YBIcg actual video of me in a Clipper starts at 28 seconds

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Paramemetic posted:

As the official Clipper fanboy in this land, I feel like I should come give some words of advice on Clippers.

1) Clipper is not Vulture maneuverable. It has very weak vertical thrust and its pitch rate is not as quick. It's one of the few ships that you really need to FA off and abuse thrusters to pitch adequately with.

2) That said, Clipper is aaaaamaaaazingggg at lateral thrusting and yawing. It will lat thrust and yaw better than any ship in the game besides Couriers. Clipper is for ghost riding various whips.

3) Any guns on a Clipper are good guns, provided they are gimballed. You can turret the medium slots if you're lazy, then if someone does that annoying "fly right overhead on you" thing, you just roll over and let them eat those lasers again.

4) Anyone who is saying they routinely dunk on Clippers and so on must be talking about PVE, because PVP they are one of the top two ships, period. Sometimes you get pilots who are bad in them and cannot ram, especially now that they are rank-free, but generally Clippers are bad news bears and also ramming owns.

5) Ramming owns, ram everything. The Clipper is a large kinetic weapon with some lasers attached. If you're real pro, remember you have giaaaant wings, so if you miss the ram the first time, just roll violently as you are passing under and try to slap them with your fin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0qMT2YBIcg actual video of me in a Clipper starts at 28 seconds

Can confirm everything in this post.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
As a new Flipper pilot I must agree.

Also, as someone who has recently begun ramming all of the things, I've decided that leaving my power adjustment keys as the arrow keys while keeping everything else pushed to the left side of the keyboard may need to change. With how ram happy the AI seems to be I find myself flinging my hand over to the keys to go 4 pips into sys before I run into whatever it is I'm shooting at.. Then I laugh maniacally as my shield drops one bar and the anaconda that had just run into me on purpose drops to 62% hull.

I also suggest a movement to call all green clippers, Flippers instead, or Battle Toads..

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can confirm everything in this post.

Same. I had to gut my clipper to give myself a proper rebuy buffer for my new Python but I am going to hang on to it for keeps.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Pips in SYS also affects how much a shield is depleted at the moment of impact? I thought it just determined the rate that shields recharge.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slashrat posted:

Pips in SYS also affects how much a shield is depleted at the moment of impact? I thought it just determined the rate that shields recharge.

Yes to the first part. No to the second. That's determined by your power plant iirc

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Slashrat posted:

The Sys pip 'only' affect the shield damage resistance doesn't it? No effect on recharge rate.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Recharging the shield drains the sys capacitor.

edit: as with all things, it's more complicated than yes/no.

If the capacitor has enough energy stored to fully replenish the shield, then no, extra pips won't affect shield recharge rate. If the capacitor is empty then more pips to sys replenishes the capacitor more quickly, which will replenish the shields more quickly.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 22, 2015

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
This is why I took Zebra's advice and have enough SCB's to fire off 8 charges if need be.

They kept my Clipper alive and relatively scratch free (A wing of 3 Python's and an errant Dropship managed to deplete my shields and get me down to 85% hull) while flying solo in a Haz Res.

I'm a borderline masochist namely because I'm still 800k away from having my rebuy reserve met after refitting the Flipper for shield tank last night.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

frank.club posted:

Yes to the first part. No to the second. That's determined by your power plant iirc

All shields recharge at 1mj per second as long as there is power in the capacitor, otherwise they recharge at whatever rate the systems capacitor is being fed cap, up to 1mj/s.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Paramemetic posted:

I still need to get used to moving correctly but this all seems to match the few hours I've put in on one. Ramming is amazing when I remember to do it with shields up and their shields down, not the other way around.

Autofield repairs don't do hull, right? Would be nice to stay out longer but it's no problem.

e: I'm partial to iClipper because it's so drat Apple circa 2006

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Astroniomix posted:

All shields recharge at 1mj per second as long as there is power in the capacitor, otherwise they recharge at whatever rate the systems capacitor is being fed cap, up to 1mj/s.

I didn't recall correctly then. Heck I don't even know how most of this game is supposed to work.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Paramemetic posted:

How do you abuse thrusters using FA off?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Gonna suggest an alternate to Paramemetic's thruster abuse.

The clipper is one of the ships that keeps drifting if you do a turn in any direction, owing to its very weak vertical thrusters - this means that past a point, your pitch becomes very stiff. Its acceleration isn't all that hot also, so this means that changing directions "normally" is a bad idea since you'll be a sitting duck for a good 5-10 seconds. This is, I believe, what earns it a 2/10 agility score, even though it pitches and yaws better than its size suggests.

Instead, do a space Immelmann turn, like so:

Most ships do those turns normally, but the clipper can't, it'll just keep going forward at the 'A' point. You'll turn around but you'll lose a ton of speed.

Turn FA-off at the moment you want to turn around, and keep your throttle on. Alternatively, turn the throttle off and boost. Boosting accomplishes this faster for obvious reasons.

Edit: words

Edit2: One of the reasons why this works is the speed limit ships have. You won't just keep drifting once you boost since you start countering your original inertia owing to this limit.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 22, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Is it a bad opinion to think that shield cell banks as implemented are dumb and should be limited to one per ship, or is this a defensible thing to want?

Sard fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 22, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sard posted:

Is it a bad opinion to that that shield cell banks as implemented are dumb and should be limited to one per ship, or is this a defensible thing to want?
The only way I could agree more is if you suggested they remove them altogether.

Although they did used to be a lot worse (i.e better: lower power and faster recharging) than they are now, I think that's coloured my judgement a tad.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hit boost and wait until it kicks in, hit FA off and perform turn with the grace of an eagle, put FA back on and discover you're flying backwards at 2000m/s, hope you've got enough eng capacitor left to boost again.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 22, 2015

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Sard posted:

Is it a bad opinion to think that shield cell banks as implemented are dumb and should be limited to one per ship, or is this a defensible thing to want?

Potionspam is bad in any game.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Lima posted:

Potionspam is bad in any game.

:agreed:

Nothing more frustrating than having to knock down someone's shields 3 loving times while they fly in circles because I think sometimes NPCs forget to equip any weapons

Also lol at getting in front of any ship

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Sard posted:

Shield cell banks are dumb but they're a symptom of the problem instead of the cause, IMO.

The cause is that multirole ships, especially the larger ones, often have less shielding than ships with 1/10th the volume. The only way to bridge this gulf is by allowing these ships to recharge their shields mid-flight with their bountiful cell banks.

If you limit them to one per ship or remove them entirely, you'll pretty much stop seeing things larger than Vultures or Couriers in PVP.

A real fix would be to just give the larger ships a ton more shields, or rework recharge rates, possibly both.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Chrysophylax posted:

Shield cell banks are dumb but they're a symptom of the problem instead of the cause, IMO.

The cause is that multirole ships, especially the larger ones, often have less shielding than ships with 1/10th the volume. The only way to bridge this gulf is by allowing these ships to recharge their shields mid-flight with their bountiful cell banks.

If you limit them to one per ship or remove them entirely, you'll pretty much stop seeing things larger than Vultures or Couriers in PVP.

A real fix would be to just give the larger ships a ton more shields, or rework recharge rates, possibly both.

The 1MJ/sec hardcap needs to be changed to a percentage. It takes max shielded condas 25 minutes to fully charge their shield currently :frogbon:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Lima posted:

The 1MJ/sec hardcap needs to be changed to a percentage. It takes max shielded condas 25 minutes to fully charge their shield currently :frogbon:

That's loving ridiculous. I hope they hop on changing that poo poo.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Chrysophylax posted:

Yeah, I think the best solution is that larger shield size -> sturdier shields. Also, make it so damage isn't nerfed depending on the size of your opponent. Really, the way they went about it is about as backwards as I can imagine (Shields are all basically the same or worse on big ships, but little weapons do less damage to big ships) :frontear:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Chrysophylax posted:

Gonna suggest an alternate to Paramemetic's thruster abuse.

The clipper is one of the ships that keeps drifting if you do a turn in any direction, owing to its very weak vertical thrusters - this means that past a point, your pitch becomes very stiff. Its acceleration isn't all that hot also, so this means that changing directions "normally" is a bad idea since you'll be a sitting duck for a good 5-10 seconds. This is, I believe, what earns it a 2/10 agility score, even though it pitches and yaws better than its size suggests.

Instead, do a space Immelmann turn, like so:

Most ships do those turns normally, but the clipper can't, it'll just keep going forward at the 'A' point. You'll turn around but you'll lose a ton of speed.

Turn FA-off at the moment you want to turn around, and keep your throttle on. Alternatively, turn the throttle off and boost. Boosting accomplishes this faster for obvious reasons.

Edit: words

Edit2: One of the reasons why this works is the speed limit ships have. You won't just keep drifting once you boost since you start countering your original inertia owing to this limit.

I'm gonna contradict myself here and say that FA-on turn boosting is much easier and accomplishes the same.

I made a video illustrating both the 180º turn drift issue and how boost-turning solves it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMAz8gGiBcM

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Adding percentage based recharge means they could effectively tank X amount of damage, which is even more bullshit than health potions.

They need to be able to get their shields back up quicker after they're knocked down, but there are ways to do that without making them even stronger defensively than they already are.

Mike the TV posted:

Yeah, I think the best solution is that larger shield size -> sturdier shields. Also, make it so damage isn't nerfed depending on the size of your opponent. Really, the way they went about it is about as backwards as I can imagine (Shields are all basically the same or worse on big ships, but little weapons do less damage to big ships) :frontear:
Damage penalty applies only to hull, small weapons do full damage to shields even on large ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Lima posted:

That's crazy, but there's an argument to be made that not all shields should charge at the same rate, because it will give the big shields an incredible amount of damage prevention per minute overall.

I know that module targetting is a big part of combat but I sort of wish losing shields wasn't an invitation to get totally loving wrecked regardless of armor.

• Locked thread