Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Can we get some trading cards in here and settle this empirically PLEASE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

DrProsek posted:

Stjepan Sejic did a small strip about Lois and Superman loving

That's probably the best qualification you can have for Rat Queens, really.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

You know who's hooked on a feeling? MY MOM!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gavok posted:

You know who's hooked on a feeling? MY MOM!

Thank you, now I'm picturing The Watcher as Pops and I wanted to share.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Majuju posted:

Trading cards? Please. I can at least provide data on Namor, who really hasn't changed much if at all in these terms.

I've got Drax too, but I don't know how his strength level has changed. Big, dumb Drax topped out at 40 tons, so it looks like as long as Namor's relatively wet he can still take Drax fairly easily, especially because Drax doesn't (as far as I know) fly anymore.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ManiacClown posted:

I've got Drax too, but I don't know how his strength level has changed. Big, dumb Drax topped out at 40 tons, so it looks like as long as Namor's relatively wet he can still take Drax fairly easily, especially because Drax doesn't (as far as I know) fly anymore.

That's original Drax, his muscular form came later. Presumably it could punch harder than his original form.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Perestroika posted:

Rat Queens continues to be pretty fun.

(Rat Queens #12)

I like how three fingers are being held up for "two things". I'm guessing this character isn't too high on the INT stats...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Her class/background is "Fighter/Hipster" and there's a solid chance she's drunk/on drugs.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm in the middle of reading every Nightmare on Elm Street comic. This is from the first issue of the Innovation run.

Now, being that it's a Freddy story, certain characters need to go to sleep to move the plot forward. There are different ways to go about it. They could go to sleep regularly. They could doze off while doing something mundane or while reading. They can be medically put under. Hell, a lot of the time, they're already asleep by the time the scene begins and we don't realize they're dreaming for a few moments.

Then... there's this.

:effort:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I enjoyed Freddy using a hemophiliac daydreaming kid at a baseball game to announce his return in Freddy vs Jason vs Ash.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What are the rules for Freddy and daydreaming anyway? Because that can get pretty loose pretty quickly.

Completely unrelated but I always did like how in the first NoES they don't play up dreams as this purely unknowable thing and one of the things Nancy does is get herself a sleep study done, if nothing else to establish how pure science isn't going to give her the solution but that humans are exploring that frontier.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

If it makes you feel better, she will likely stay for ~5 issues, then the curse of Rat Queens will befall her as well.

Yeah, she's going to be revealed as a Grand Dragon in the Ku Klux Klan or maybe she sodomizes puppies; some horrible poo poo will come out about her because the universe hates that such a fun book should exist.

At this point, while I will admit to liking that first rear end in a top hat's art the best, Rat Queens has been through such amazing poo poo that I'm just happy as hell it's still being released on a somewhat regular basis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

What are the rules for Freddy and daydreaming anyway? Because that can get pretty loose pretty quickly.

Given how the first movie ended I'm pretty sure the only rule is there are no rules.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I enjoyed Freddy using a hemophiliac daydreaming kid at a baseball game to announce his return in Freddy vs Jason vs Ash.

That was actually from the Avatar miniseries Nightmare on Elm Street: Paranoid. It's a story that doesn't exactly make much sense (but then again, little of the franchise does). The Avatar books play up the status quo from Freddy vs. Jason. Everything with Freddy is under wraps and anyone who talks about him is taken away. In the movie, it worked because Freddy couldn't do anything if nobody knew or feared him, so he had to trick Jason into causing some terror. Freddy actually had stakes for once. In the comic, he's more than capable of killing kids in their sleep. So what's the point?

Anyway, to get back on topic, the art in the book is kind of hilarious. It's Avatar, so it means blood all over the place and ugly drawings that are supposed to be super sexy. But what I love is that the artist apparently decided to not really read the script.

No. No, she really doesn't.

That's a nice shotgun you have there.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They exist
And suck.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I only know this from detective novels, but isn't there a shotgun with a pistol grip called an Ithica or something? In the books it sounded terrifying if you were withing 10-20 feet of whoever had one.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Majuju posted:

You should be careful what you wish for. Because it doesn't answer anything. :eng99:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

That was actually from the Avatar miniseries Nightmare on Elm Street: Paranoid.

Oh yeah, I read those back to back, so it's all a blur. I had a phase where I bought a bunch of comics based on horror franchises after enjoying a few issues of Army of Darkness.

Guess what, most comics based on horror franchises are loving terrible.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yeah, I read those back to back, so it's all a blur. I had a phase where I bought a bunch of comics based on horror franchises after enjoying a few issues of Army of Darkness.

I find this quote to help me in times like this:

I repeat Sturgeon's Revelation, which was wrung out of me after twenty years of wearying defense of science fiction against attacks of people who used the worst examples of the field for ammunition, and whose conclusion was that ninety percent of SF is crud. Using the same standards that categorize 90% of science fiction as trash, crud, or crap, it can be argued that 90% of film, literature, consumer goods, etc. is crap. In other words, the claim (or fact) that 90% of science fiction is crap is ultimately uninformative, because science fiction conforms to the same trends of quality as all other artforms.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Ror posted:

You should be careful what you wish for. Because it doesn't answer anything. :eng99:

I love that the meaningless stats they have don't line up at all, making them even more useless. I would love to see some grade school arguments over that. "Thanos may have a speed of 6 and an energy projection of 7, but Drax has a stamina of 7!"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

joehonkie posted:

I love that the meaningless stats they have don't line up at all, making them even more useless. I would love to see some grade school arguments over that. "Thanos may have a speed of 6 and an energy projection of 7, but Drax has a stamina of 7!"

No True Namor would have that stupid haircut. :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No comments on Namor's pompadour and five o'clock shadow?

ninja edit: And of course someone posts one right as I'm typing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ManiacClown posted:

Trading cards? Please. I can at least provide data on Namor, who really hasn't changed much if at all in these terms.

The only thing anyone ever needs to know about Namor is that he and Dr. Doom are best friends.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

prefect posted:

No True Namor would have that stupid haircut. :colbert:

The true scion of Atlantas neither abides by, nor cares for the fashion senses of surface dwellers.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I had absolutely no idea Namor had a last name :psyduck:

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Gaz-L posted:

No comments on Namor's pompadour and five o'clock shadow?

ninja edit: And of course someone posts one right as I'm typing.

I'm still trying to parse "Namor McKenzie".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cyphoderus posted:

I'm still trying to parse "Namor McKenzie".

I have not been paying sufficient attention:

In 1915, Ernest Shackleton, sent by Winston Churchill, sought out vibranium in the Antarctic. His ship, the Endurance, was lost. Later, Leonard McKenzie, with the telepath Paul Destine as a passenger, attempted to recover the Vibranium. Princess Fen was sent to investigate explosions near the surface by her father, King Thakorr. McKenzie met, fell in lovewith, and impregnated Princess Fen with the child who became Namor. Soldiers commanded by General Krang attacked McKenzie's crew. McKenzie himself did not die, though he did not recognize Namor later when he first learned of his son's rampages in New York.

I only remembered there was a sailor named MacKenzie who fell in with an Atlantean, and the sailor got attacked.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

That was actually from the Avatar miniseries Nightmare on Elm Street: Paranoid. It's a story that doesn't exactly make much sense (but then again, little of the franchise does). The Avatar books play up the status quo from Freddy vs. Jason. Everything with Freddy is under wraps and anyone who talks about him is taken away. In the movie, it worked because Freddy couldn't do anything if nobody knew or feared him, so he had to trick Jason into causing some terror. Freddy actually had stakes for once. In the comic, he's more than capable of killing kids in their sleep. So what's the point?

Anyway, to get back on topic, the art in the book is kind of hilarious. It's Avatar, so it means blood all over the place and ugly drawings that are supposed to be super sexy. But what I love is that the artist apparently decided to not really read the script.

No. No, she really doesn't.

That's a nice shotgun you have there.

Is that Ryp? I really liked his art in other runs.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Seldom Posts posted:

Is that Ryp? I really liked his art in other runs.

Yep.

Lurdiak posted:

Oh, definitely. But you'll still find some interesting ideas in them and the occasional gem (like the Jason Aaron Friday the 13th story about Jason watching over and protecting a little boy with the same physical handicap as him).

One of the more fun Nightmare books is from a one-shot New Line Cinema's Tales of Horror. It has to do with a copycat killer going around, killing teens while dressed as Freddy. Freddy isn't happy about it and discovers that not only is this guy a gigantic fan of his, but he has an actual fanbase of sociopaths out there. It's great because of the way it takes Freddy out of his comfort zone.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ManiacClown posted:

Drax looked dad as gently caress in that first panel.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't buy Freddy saying that. He's totally the kind-of guy who would love having fans that he could bait into killing in interesting ways, and wouldn't go on about how a world is hosed up or not. He never struck me as someone who cared whether a world was hosed up or not as long as he could get his rocks off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrProsek posted:

Isn't Namor also supposed to be super strong? I can never remember what his powers are but I vaguely remember he's supposed to be able to beat up Hulks.

In recent years Namor is portrayed as having strength on par with Thor. And Drax's new body reacts to Thanos as seen in Annihilation #5 he goes all Super Sayian when he gets near and easily tears his heart out.

SilverSupernova posted:

What If? Infinity: Guardians of the Galaxy

For context, Rocket Raccoon is at a bar retelling the fight between the Guardians and the Illuminati. He wasn't really paying attention to what anyone was saying so he decided to make an educated guess.

The whole book is silly like this and is probably the best one in Infinity's What If? series.

Can we just have this every month?

Please?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

mind the walrus posted:

I don't buy Freddy saying that. He's totally the kind-of guy who would love having fans that he could bait into killing in interesting ways, and wouldn't go on about how a world is hosed up or not. He never struck me as someone who cared whether a world was hosed up or not as long as he could get his rocks off.

Thing is, he can't get his rocks off. The copycat killer is loving things up for him and long story short, Freddy can't simply kill him and be done with it. So he's genuinely flustered and seeing another fanboy has him rolling his eyes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gavok posted:

Thing is, he can't get his rocks off. The copycat killer is loving things up for him and long story short, Freddy can't simply kill him and be done with it. So he's genuinely flustered and seeing another fanboy has him rolling his eyes.

I get all of that. I really do. It's just not that particular line that I buy. I think there's a better way he'd express the same though. Whatever I'm putting more thought into him than anyone who isn't named "Robert Englund" has.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I only know this from detective novels, but isn't there a shotgun with a pistol grip called an Ithica or something? In the books it sounded terrifying if you were withing 10-20 feet of whoever had one.
Yeah but it looks like this:

EDIT: Also I don't see how it would be any scarier than a shotgun without a pistol grip.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Zereth posted:

Yeah but it looks like this:

EDIT: Also I don't see how it would be any scarier than a shotgun without a pistol grip.

I'm pretty sure what he meant was a pistol that fired shotgun rounds, like the aforementioned Taurus Judge.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Ror posted:

Thank you for this, I never knew John Stamos was born Namor McKenzie. And has apparently gotten dumber with age, possibly after they unearthed a new debut comic for him:

Meanwhile Thanos got weaker between 1991 and 1993 (and apparently weighs a half-ton!?):

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Majuju posted:

Thank you for this, I never knew John Stamos was born Namor McKenzie. And has apparently gotten dumber with age, possibly after they unearthed a new debut comic for him:

When he wants a neck massage, he must have to clear out his schedule for a week.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

Oh, definitely. But you'll still find some interesting ideas in them and the occasional gem (like the Jason Aaron Friday the 13th story about Jason watching over and protecting a little boy with the same physical handicap as him).

One of the more fun Nightmare books is from a one-shot New Line Cinema's Tales of Horror. It has to do with a copycat killer going around, killing teens while dressed as Freddy. Freddy isn't happy about it and discovers that not only is this guy a gigantic fan of his, but he has an actual fanbase of sociopaths out there. It's great because of the way it takes Freddy out of his comfort zone.

Haha.

Did you get to the 89 Marvel book yet? That one's pretty fuckin sweet. I can hardly think of anyone better qualified to tell stories about nightmares than Steve Gerber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Haha.

Did you get to the 89 Marvel book yet? That one's pretty fuckin sweet. I can hardly think of anyone better qualified to tell stories about nightmares than Steve Gerber.

Yeah, it was pretty solid for something that only lasted two issues. It has one aspect of licensed comics that always intrigues me where the comic writer gets to play with the mythos before future installments can define it. Kind of like how Marvel's Star Wars or NOW's Terminator comics are a trip. Freddy's Dead, which finally gave us Freddy's origin, was a few years away, so Gerber wrote his own concept of Freddy's backstory and it worked while keeping the mystique. Plus he had the unexplored idea that there are more freakish dream creatures like Freddy out there, except he's far more proactive in what he does.