Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

triple sulk posted:

I've considered the Prestige but considering that AA is my hub back home, I can get more value out of the Executive card, at least until AA potentially devalues everything to hell.

Contrary to this post I keep thinking I want to give the Prestige a shot. At least for the first year I can get two $250 airline credits, so the AF is basically irrelevant, and even at 1.6 cents for AA redemption I'd at least be getting EQMs out of it because it isn't an award flight. Technically MR points can do the same sort of thing on Amex Travel, and I could book AA if I wanted, but I'm not really sure if they'd be worth as much that way (probably not). The AA Exec is great and I've already gotten some good value out of it for the priority screening/ boarding and Admiral's Club, so I may want to keep that at any rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I think the TYP cards are great if you're more interested in domestic econ tickets. If your desire is premium cabin and/or overseas, AA points are probably the way to go.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I recently finished my CSP 40k spend and I'm looking for something new. In 2015 I ended up flying Delta 6x for work (all Delta) and another 4 times or so for personal trips. I live in Madison, which is a hub for no one, but AA, Delta, and United all fly through here (No Southwest). 2016 should see me flying as much or more, mainly domestic. I did the Ameriprise Amex platinum last year, but I understand that the personal/business cards are still open for me. Any other offers I should watch out for?

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Just got the notice about Barclaycard's Arrival+ being neutered. Which looks better to most people, Discover It Miles or BankAmericard Travel Rewards? I don't have a Bank of America account and I am leaning towards the Discover since I already have another card from them. Is there another good option? It's really disappointing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Got the CSP in the mail today which was surprisingly fast and nice since I'm leaving tomorrow. Turns out it's not a real chip and pin card though. I understand this won't be an issue with paying for things from a human where they can take my signature, but I won't be able to use the kiosks in metro stations to purchase metro passes since they have no way of verifying signatures. Meh.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Got the CSP in the mail today which was surprisingly fast and nice since I'm leaving tomorrow. Turns out it's not a real chip and pin card though. I understand this won't be an issue with paying for things from a human where they can take my signature, but I won't be able to use the kiosks in metro stations to purchase metro passes since they have no way of verifying signatures. Meh.

If you have a Chase checking account, they can issue you a chipped debit card in-branch.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is not a problem in 99.9% of situations and I dont know why so many people sperg about it on the internet

I've bought train tickets and metro cards from machines in 12 different European countries with a chip + signature card and it works just fine

It wont ask for a PIN, or expect a signature.

It will just work.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

There was a really nice thread in Ask/Tell about someone that actually works with the nitty gritty of payments networks if you really care to go in depth about this stuff

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3675514&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

There are some very small one off exceptions like if you're an American who is about to become an expat there are some older gas station terminals and unmanned toll booths that are based on older technologies that can't do the online authentication needed to verify a chip + signature transaction, but those are being phased out.

In some countries (northern Europe) a lot of stores train their staff to actually check your ID for a signature transaction so be prepared for that, but that's about it.

tl;dr, people that go out of their way to get chip+pin cards in the us for travel are insane and probably on the spectrum because it's absolutely not necessary, chip + signature works everywhere. It's not going to affect you.

And yes I do realize I'm probably on the spectrum too talking about this with my avatar :keke:

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Tried to use Apple Pay tied to Discover at a Duane Reade and it failed repeatedly according to the terminal, yet all 4 transactions actually went through (and now need to be disputed). Apple and the banks still need to get their poo poo together.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Blinkman987 posted:

If you have a Chase checking account, they can issue you a chipped debit card in-branch.

It won't help in the situations he was talking about because it's Online PIN only and to be 100% safe you need a card with Offline PIN support.

That said, the odds are super small that it will mater. Almost every terminal properly takes American style cards at this point. It can suck to find one that doesn't but unless you're driving it seems like most people that have travelled recently never see one.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Seriously, as if Europeans aren't eager to have Americans buy things.

I'd be more concerned about places that are cash only when overseas because that's its own huge problem.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

mishaq posted:

I've bought train tickets and metro cards from machines in 12 different European countries with a chip + signature card and it works just fine

It will just work.

As a counterpoint, I was unable to use a chip + sig card in the subway in Belgium and I had to go back to the concierge for change to use the machine.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Tyro posted:

As a counterpoint, I was unable to use a chip + sig card in the subway in Belgium and I had to go back to the concierge for change to use the machine.
We had similar problems at the Subway and the Arlanda Express in Sweden.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Small White Dragon posted:

I don't know how the Paris subway works now, but I never had a CC work in their terminals from 05' to 11'.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
If I use a credit card long-term exclusively for purchases in the bonus categories (groceries on the Amex Blue Cash, quarterly categories on the Chase Freedom, etc.), might the credit card company revoke the card? I can't imagine this behavior is lucrative for the card issuer.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Strangelet Wave posted:

If I use a credit card long-term exclusively for purchases in the bonus categories (groceries on the Amex Blue Cash, quarterly categories on the Chase Freedom, etc.), might the credit card company revoke the card? I can't imagine this behavior is lucrative for the card issuer.

They don't care. They just want you to swipe that card so they can charge the merchants 1.9%. At some point they could terminate the card for inactivity but that's years. I have a card that hasn't been used in 10 years or so (Amex Blue for Students).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Strangelet Wave posted:

Those categories are capped. As long as you're doing legit purchases, I wouldn't worry.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Small White Dragon posted:

I've used my card heavily in Sweden, including the metro in Stockholm, and never had a single issue

I can only attest to as far back as 2013 though.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Insane Totoro posted:

Seriously, as if Europeans aren't eager to have Americans buy things.

I'd be more concerned about places that are cash only when overseas because that's its own huge problem.

Germany and Austria hate credit cards.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

mishaq posted:

Germany and Austria hate credit cards.

China isn't too fond of them, outside of some hotels.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Duckman2008 posted:

So am I seeing it right that the Discover card doubles your cash back for the first 12 months?

So its 1% back on everything, 5% on whatever their calendar is, 10% on Apple pay purchases, but everything is doubled on month 12?
Well this is interesting. Any chance this is android pay as well as Apple pay?
Also, wouldnt that be 10% bonus on the 1% (so 1.1% back), not +10% of the purchase (11%)?

Moneyball posted:

Safe to make multiple balance transfers?
They are saying that since you are carrying a balance you start accruing interest on purchases immediately instead of having the 23 day grace period. It doesn't change anything about the previous balance transfer.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 16, 2015

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Well this is interesting. Any chance this is android pay as well as Apple pay?
Also, wouldnt that be 10% bonus on the 1% (so 1.1% back), not +10% of the purchase (11%)?

No and no. https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/discover-apple-pay-offers-10-percent-bonus-limited-time/

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I'm looking for a new grocery store card.

I don't really want to pay an annual fee since I do most of my grocery shopping at Costco and a local chain that does not accept credit cards, so my total credit card grocery store spending is only about $1500 a year. I was going to apply for the Sallie Mae MasterCard, but it looks like they changed their categories. Is there a good successor to that card, or should I just move my spending to my double cash card?

If the best I can hope for is 2-3%, with my low spending, I'll just stick to the 2%, but if there is still a 5% no annual fee (even if it is capped) card, that's worth the trouble for me.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm looking for a new grocery store card.

I don't really want to pay an annual fee since I do most of my grocery shopping at Costco and a local chain that does not accept credit cards, so my total credit card grocery store spending is only about $1500 a year. I was going to apply for the Sallie Mae MasterCard, but it looks like they changed their categories. Is there a good successor to that card, or should I just move my spending to my double cash card?

If the best I can hope for is 2-3%, with my low spending, I'll just stick to the 2%, but if there is still a 5% no annual fee (even if it is capped) card, that's worth the trouble for me.

Costco only accepts American Express for now, but they are switching to Visa in April. For now you could get the Blue Cash Everyday card or the Costco branded Amex for 3% off groceries. Not sure what the best Visa grocery card will be next year, they've announced there will be a Costco branded Visa from Citi but they haven't said what the rewards program will be.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I have the Costco amex now, I'm looking for something to cover the non Costco stuff.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

mishaq posted:

This is not a problem in 99.9% of situations and I dont know why so many people sperg about it on the internet

It will just work.

So the train and metro machines in Paris CDG, Paris North, and Brussels Central stations all declined my CSP today. I was able to use it just fine at a restaurant so I dunno man. It's not some tiny one off problem like you're making it.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

So the train and metro machines in Paris CDG, Paris North, and Brussels Central stations all declined my CSP today. I was able to use it just fine at a restaurant so I dunno man. It's not some tiny one off problem like you're making it.

I was in Paris in June and used my card for the metro, RER and TGV from machines with no problem

Maybe fraud alerts or the profile Chase has for you is declining transactions, it's not a technology issue

I travel very frequently so I think they know to let my card go through in most situations

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I know this won't be as exciting as the benefits you can get from US credit cards but it's been a year since I changed over my credit cards and started using thepointsguy advice for rewards. I've picked up $900 in rewards where in the past I would have gotten about $150 per year in benefits. Although part of that is an insurance claim for a delayed flight (can't complain about free travel insurance that I never had before). There are less tangible benefits where I got a call from the family where they wanted me to turn up to celebrate my birthday this year and I had the airpoints available for the return flight. Nice to do that and not pay anything for it.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Bisty Q. posted:

It won't help in the situations he was talking about because it's Online PIN only and to be 100% safe you need a card with Offline PIN support.

I can't find any information about the PIN being online only, but the Chase website is also predictably dodgy about answering questions about using PIN and basically they say over and over again that the merchant should bypass this part of the purchase.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

11 months into my Barclaycard Arrival+ World Elite Mastercard. Just called customer service and had them downgrade it (painlessly) to the no-annual fee World Mastercard. Thanks for the 40,000 points Barclays!

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

khysanth posted:

11 months into my Barclaycard Arrival+ World Elite Mastercard. Just called customer service and had them downgrade it (painlessly) to the no-annual fee World Mastercard. Thanks for the 40,000 points Barclays!

Good to know. This was going to be the annual fee card that I kept and put most of my spend on, but I'm pretty disappointed in the recent nerfing and will now be downgrading to the Arrival. Thanks for confirming that this shouldn't be a hassle.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Not credit cards, but somewhat related: I'd be stupid not to jump on a free $400 for two $250 direct deposits, right?

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Not credit cards, but somewhat related: I'd be stupid not to jump on a free $400 for two $250 direct deposits, right?

Yes. But it's not quite as good as it seems since that $400 will be taxable income (unlike credit card rewards) and there may be account maintenence fees.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

The way Bank of America continues to hand out Alaska Airlines cards is unreal. Got my first one in April, second in July, and was just now approved for a third one even though the other two were still open. These are the version with the $100 statement credit too, so I'm making a profit in addition to all the miles.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

becoming posted:

Good to know. This was going to be the annual fee card that I kept and put most of my spend on, but I'm pretty disappointed in the recent nerfing and will now be downgrading to the Arrival. Thanks for confirming that this shouldn't be a hassle.

Same. Wife and I decided to keep the Chase Sapphire Preferred instead for all our non-grocery/gas purchases (we use the Barclaycard Sallie Mae for those).

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Citi Double Cash still the best cash-back card?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

Is Citi Double Cash still the best cash-back card?

For general usage and not trying to game quarterly categories yea.

Their Price Rewind feature is pretty cool and they just started offering your FICO score for free so that's nice.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Normally it is but I'd say that the Discover It is much better right now due to the cash back at the end of 12 months, the rotating categories, and the 10% cash back for Apple Pay in-store through the end of the year.

I kinda gave in and I'm going to see if I like the Prestige card (worst case I get two $250 calendar credits I'd 100% definitely use and then cancel it a few months down the line). I've yet to really get a feel for how good Citi's customer service is but I suppose I'll find out. I just fear their points program and redemptions won't be anywhere near as nice as Amex's.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Swingline posted:

Yes. But it's not quite as good as it seems since that $400 will be taxable income (unlike credit card rewards) and there may be account maintenence fees.
No account maintenance fees, and I don't really care about the taxes. Free money is free money. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

triple sulk posted:

Normally it is but I'd say that the Discover It is much better right now due to the cash back at the end of 12 months, the rotating categories, and the 10% cash back for Apple Pay in-store through the end of the year.

I kinda gave in and I'm going to see if I like the Prestige card (worst case I get two $250 calendar credits I'd 100% definitely use and then cancel it a few months down the line). I've yet to really get a feel for how good Citi's customer service is but I suppose I'll find out. I just fear their points program and redemptions won't be anywhere near as nice as Amex's.

Pretty sure the Double cash back promo ended on the Discover card.