Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Last time I looked at Nakamichi car stuff was a year ago. poo poo looks fantastic and fits right into any 80s car but you're going to pay out the rear end for one because of the audiophile prestige and you aren't going to get anything more than CD support from their CD decks.

:siren:Unless you want a Minidisc player in your car which they loving make and looks rad as gently caress:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Oooooooooooooookay, stupid question time. What's the difference between a tuner and a receiver?

A tuner is just for picking up FM/AM signals, a single-function unit.

A stereo receiver combines a tuner with an integrated amplifier, so you get an all-in-one unit that both receives the radio signal (and various other inputs) and drives your speakers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

flosofl posted:

That's why the iPhone is set to *not* trust computers by default now. You have manually tell it to trust the computer, and the phone has to be unlocked before you can do that. That tool has a serious chicken and egg problem now.

And if you're paranoid (smart) you never hook the phone up to any of your own computers and set up trust. There's absolutely no need any longer. Just hook it up to charge if you need to, but don't trust the computer. That means no cached key. And it doesn't matter if you have the iCloud password, the device is encrypted with a device level key that's not stored in the iCloud keychain. And the iCloud backups are encrypted using that same key.

If you're using a 4 digit PIN, well that one is on you. If you use a longer one with the fingerprint, just power off the phone before you hand it over (it's a quick and easy swipe). It will reject a fingerprint after a power cycle.

The last iOS update actually forced me to change to a 4-digit PIN, and then a few days later forced me to change it again. I had to go into the settings to let me change it to a 6-digit.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

deoju posted:

Drive-Ins are rad, BTW.

I take it you didn't live somewhere plagued by mosquitoes. Even if you kept all the windows rolled up except for the one where the speaker was hanging you'd spend the movie slapping at the little fuckers and steaming in your car/sauna.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

The PS1 I had didn't come with the serial port in the back

Parallel :eng101:. Serial was the smaller port for linking two PS1s for multiplayer. Another obsolete technology: networking over serial cables. The physics department of my university was wired for DECnet, and there were thick bundles of cables strewn absolutely everywhere, often connected to long dead dishwasher-sized machines

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah I had no clue they were actually a big market force in the 60s and 70s until I got mine and looked up the brand.

They're kind of like Blaupunkt where if you told somebody that name now they'd have no clue what you're talking about, but they were practically an institution in car audio in the 80s. Crazy how fast you can fall.

My current stereo is a single-din Blaupunkt Toronto 420BT, and it beats out my previous 3 double-din in-dash navigation units in terms of sound quality, ease of use, and iPhone compatibility (that includes the first-gen Pioneer AppRadio).

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

empty baggie posted:

My current stereo is a single-din Blaupunkt Toronto 420BT, and it beats out my previous 3 double-din in-dash navigation units in terms of sound quality, ease of use, and iPhone compatibility (that includes the first-gen Pioneer AppRadio).

That's the exactly the one I bought, I'll see what its like when I put it in. The build quality wasn't that impressive to me though when I took it out of the box.I suppose at the price point you really can't complain and they really are the only product on the market that actually stands a chance of looking at home in a car interior. But they definitely aren't the old Blaupunkt.

Anyways stereo receiver and cassette deck:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

The last iOS update actually forced me to change to a 4-digit PIN, and then a few days later forced me to change it again. I had to go into the settings to let me change it to a 6-digit.

That's weird. I use a 16 character pass-gibberish and I've never had it tell me to change it or downgrade it or anything. Are you using Exchange? Could it be an Active Sync Policy gently caress-up by your company's messaging team?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Some 90's era tech-related stock photos here.

This one just screams "T1 mothafuckas! Outta my way!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

flosofl posted:

That's weird. I use a 16 character pass-gibberish and I've never had it tell me to change it or downgrade it or anything. Are you using Exchange? Could it be an Active Sync Policy gently caress-up by your company's messaging team?

Nope, not Exchange. My phone's not connected to anything but poo poo like Facebook and an AOL email account. My brother and I both got notices to change to 4-digit passcodes when we updated to iOS 9.0.X somewhere. I was able to change it by going into my settings and selecting a new passcode, and it let me make it longer.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This one just screams "T1 mothafuckas! Outta my way!"
I still run into people who think that a T1 is some sort of awesome super-fast connection. :shobon:

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Nope, not Exchange. My phone's not connected to anything but poo poo like Facebook and an AOL email account. My brother and I both got notices to change to 4-digit passcodes when we updated to iOS 9.0.X somewhere. I was able to change it by going into my settings and selecting a new passcode, and it let me make it longer.

Strange, I haven't been asked to do thins but apparently it's a thing now. I think it has to do with already having a 4-digit passcode in place before updating. There is an option to go back to a 4-digit passcode. Go to change your code and select "Passcode Options". This should be a choice to go back to 4-digits.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

I still run into people who think that a T1 is some sort of awesome super-fast connection. :shobon:

1.5 blazing megabits, man

It's not too terrible even today, at least you can count on actually getting that speed both up and down at all times.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

John Big Booty posted:

Kids these days.

If there's one thing I like more than boobies it's 819.80085

(Pardon my Mongolian :finland:)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wonder if there's a Wikipedia article/list of languages where you can spell boobs or some variation thereof in calculese?

e: One day I will look up what the two selectors under the display actually do. I don't have a manual for this loving thing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jerry Cotton posted:

I wonder if there's a Wikipedia article/list of languages where you can spell boobs or some variation thereof in calculese?

You're in luck! :eng101:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculator_spelling

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Collateral Damage posted:

In most of the US, it is. Outside the big cities service quality drops hard.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

38537 37139 was a favourite in my class. From German it translates to HOT LESBIAN. Or HORNY LESBIAN. It kind of depended on your personal outlook, calculator displays aren't well suited for a lot of context.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah I had no clue they were actually a big market force in the 60s and 70s until I got mine and looked up the brand.

They're kind of like Blaupunkt where if you told somebody that name now they'd have no clue what you're talking about, but they were practically an institution in car audio in the 80s. Crazy how fast you can fall.

I never heard of blaupunkt until GM started using them as OEM. Another old brand that appeared from nowhere into our market in the 1990s.
First start appearing here in astras from europe, used in commodores too (VZ, VE). But I don't think anyone down here has bought one retail as an aftermarket unit.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Along those lines, someone was going crazy that Kmart and Sears were selling Nakamichi-branded speakers and headphones with an "They are the best!"

However, I never heard of them until I saw them at Sears/Kmart. Is it similar to one of those things that they were at one time a sort of semi-premium brand that is now only that brand in name only, having its name used on products sort of like how there's a ton of Polaroid-branded electronics out there?

Nakamichi was the poo poo in the 80s and 90s. Only high end hifi shops sold their gear.
Back in the cassette days they were a big deal in audio, but kind of faded away when cassettes were no longer popular. They were the ones that had the whole cassette flip over (check youtube) rather than a simple auto reverse - but they weren't good just for that gimmick, they were regarded as the best tape players you could get, along with denon.
I would be suprised seeing them at somewhere like kmart, but I know they never had a reputation doing anything other than cassette decks well. So I wouldn't expect anything special from their speakers or headphones anyway. But that type of thing you could easily audition for yourself

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Oct 22, 2015

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Jerry Cotton posted:

If there's one thing I like more than boobies it's 819.80085

(Pardon my Mongolian :finland:)

I know iso is "big", though "tissit" threw me for a bit - in that context in Norwegian, "tiss" would be "dick".

(Speaking of Norwegian, it's not great for calculator words. 7353134 = hei esel = hello, donkey)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

1500quidporsche posted:

Not just car audio.

~1979 MA-240 power amplifier and PA-240 pre-amplifier system, good for 65 watts/channel continuous and 120 watts/channel peak, built like a tank. There was also a matching AM/FM tuner and cassette deck, obviously. I just bought the set for $45 today.

Blaupunkt was the car audio brand for decades and they're still sitting on a very large share of the market in Europe, even if their products have gone somewhat downmarket since the 80s/90s.

Fo3 posted:

Nakamichi was the poo poo in the 80s and 90s. Only high end hifi shops sold their gear.
Back in the cassette days they were a big deal in audio, but kind of faded away when cassettes were no longer popular. They were the ones that had the whole cassette flip over (check youtube) rather than a simple auto reverse - but they weren't good just for that gimmick, they were regarded as the best tape players you could get, along with denon.

Nakamichi made the second-best tape players :norway:

Tandberg ruled for both reel-to-reel and cassette tape, especially for professional users, since they had the most advanced features and highest reliability. No fancy gimmicks, just solid Norwegian engineering.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 18:45 on Oct 22, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
trying to think who also made cassette decks.
NAD (haven't heard from them for a long time, are they still around?)
Technics.
AIWA.
A lot of well known brands seem to have disappeared around the same time as the demise of cassettes.
Digital audio meant cheaper stuff sounded OK, then we all went and bought consoles and/or cars with the savings. SHiiiit $600+ for a cassette deck!?

E: I never knew technics = matsushita = panasonic until now (or maybe I did at one stage and then forgot).

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 19:12 on Oct 22, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Off the top of my head, you also had Denon, Akai, Bang & Olufsen, Teac, Tascam, and Revox on the higher end. But every hifi manufacturer had a line of cassette decks in the 70s/80s, so add in Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Luxman, Philips, Marantz etc.

NAD are still super big in the "mid-fi" (as opposed to woo-woo crazy high-end) segment, but they obviously don't make tape decks anymore. I think they were produced by other manufacturers, like some of their record players were actually Regas. I used to have a C320BEE integrated amp, and these days I use a C165BEE pre-amp for my active speakers. Very nice quality gear.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Oct 22, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Question because I've been looking through old Hifi catalogues: How common was it for people to actually buy their hifi system as a complete set?

My parent's one growing up was cobbled together from a bunch of different brands but I'm assuming that was more due to them not having a lot of money and buying whatever was cheapest at the time.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I never knew technics = matsushita = panasonic until now (or maybe I did at one stage and then forgot).

Yeah sony has always been around.
Marantz, denon, pioneer have been the regular brands down here, along with yamaha. These are the brands most people have here. E: forgot onkyo.
JVC has been a small player too back in the day.

Akai and teac is a sad sad story. Once great, just went cheaper and cheaper until they turned their names into rubbish. Sanyo went big and went home rather than go to ruin.
Mits never made it here, and they are into everything like tvs; only their a/cs made the cut, trying to get fridges here, but I remember all sorts of products in the 80s and 90s not around any more.

e:My old amp is harman kardon - a brand I never heard of before I bought it some time in the 90s.
Most of my car audio has mainly been pioneer, and at home for first stereo was teac.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Oct 22, 2015

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

empty baggie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb33LjJ9Uw4

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

1500quidporsche posted:

Question because I've been looking through old Hifi catalogues: How common was it for people to actually buy their hifi system as a complete set?

My parent's one growing up was cobbled together from a bunch of different brands but I'm assuming that was more due to them not having a lot of money and buying whatever was cheapest at the time.

In our tiny town in the Midwest, it was usually only done as a "keeping up with the Joneses" sort of thing. You'd go to a barbecue at your neighbor down the street's house, and everyone would "ooh" and "aah" at the lovely woodgrain and brushed aluminum finish on his new turntable. Not letting him be better than you, the next day your rear end was up at the department store taking out a line of credit for the whole goddamn hifi set. "Cost me a pretty penny," you'd say, smugly sipping off a cheep beer while Jones admired the whole set, "but it was worth it."

My family had better sense than to do that sort of thing, so ours was definitely a Frankenstein's monster of parts and pieces we'd gotten from yard sales and the like. We actually found the floor speakers standing in front of a dumpster at an apartment complex. I think they're still hooked up at my parents' house.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

1500quidporsche posted:

Most people I know just cobbled together systems from whatever brands. Like you had a Kenwood receiver, but then you got a Technics turntable because it was on sale and the friendly salesman recommended it. Then sometime later you need a CD player, and there's a sale on Sonys, so you get one of those. I don't know how many people actually bought an all-singing all-dancing all-in-one rack full of components all in one go. If they had that kind of money around here, they would usually buy Bang & Olufsen instead.

I've always wanted one of these sexy racks full of stereo gear, but they cost a small fortune originally, and probably a large one today. The power amps and pre-amps alone go for $750+/each on Ebay.

Obviously, a rack-mounted reel-to-reel player was also available.

I also totally want those Pioneer HPM-150s, goddamn those are beastly speakers.

Fo3 posted:

I never knew technics = matsushita = panasonic until now (or maybe I did at one stage and then forgot).
Don't forget National, which was Matsushita's premier brand outside of the US until the late 80s.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Oct 22, 2015

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
If you were to revive a defunct web-based property from the last 15 years or so, what would it be? The answer is, obviously, MPlayer. It even has a tangential relationship to SA itself!

Holy poo poo does this bring back memories:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x-dQXQbiQI

... although they're mostly memories of how lovely the whole experience was :v:

e: I want rack-based everything.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Actually, now that I remember it, my parents did buy a 'full' Pioneer system in the mid-90s, but it was just an amp, a CD player and a tuner, so hardly even close to those big rack-mounted beauties. Pretty good little stereo, though. After they upgraded and gave me the old stereo, I used it for 10 years before I sold it and bought a NAD amp, and then active speakers after that. I bet the guy I sold it to is still using it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

My family had better sense than to do that sort of thing, so ours was definitely a Frankenstein's monster of parts and pieces we'd gotten from yard sales and the like. We actually found the floor speakers standing in front of a dumpster at an apartment complex. I think they're still hooked up at my parents' house.

That's what I've been doing so far. It works fine I'm just not a huge fan of the fake wood aesthetic so I was toying with getting something that fit in better with my furniture. My biggest hangup though is inevitably you'd have to pay out the rear end for a record player now.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Although I couldn't find a screenshot of the first MP3 encoder I ever used (mpecker) here's the followup product, mpegger. I made my first mp3 around 1997 on my Performa 631CD and I expect it took a looooong time to complete, even at 128 bps. Encoding speed reminded me of when CD-ROM drives were new and trumpeted their 2x/4x/whatever speeds. Despite still owning all my audio CDs I haven't ripped a track in quite some time. I'm thinking of taking one last pass through my small collection and then putting it in storage alongside my LPs and 45s. :corsair:

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Although I couldn't find a screenshot of the first MP3 encoder I ever used (mpecker) here's the followup product, mpegger. I made my first mp3 around 1997 on my Performa 631CD and I expect it took a looooong time to complete, even at 128 bps. Encoding speed reminded me of when CD-ROM drives were new and trumpeted their 2x/4x/whatever speeds. Despite still owning all my audio CDs I haven't ripped a track in quite some time. I'm thinking of taking one last pass through my small collection and then putting it in storage alongside my LPs and 45s. :corsair:

Speaking of CD-ROM speeds, I am so glad the dreaded buffer underrun is a thing of the past! Having to leave your pc alone for half an hour, not even touching the mouse in case it hosed up the burning process, was not fun. So many coasters created in those days...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Computer viking posted:

I know iso is "big", though "tissit" threw me for a bit - in that context in Norwegian, "tiss" would be "torsk".

(Speaking of Norwegian, it's not great for calculator words. 7353134 = torsk torsk = death to everything not torsk.)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Computer viking posted:

(Speaking of Norwegian, it's not great for calculator words. 7353134 = hei esel = hello, donkey)
Norwegian is a great calculator word...with the right calculator.

Of course any calculator with a dot matrix display can do this, but the HP-41C's 14-segment display definitely counts as the very best in obsolete technology.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I love segmented displays.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Nixie tubes are the best, but vacuum fluorescent is a close second. After years of the dull LED readouts the VF ones looked gloriously bright.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Actually, now that I remember it, my parents did buy a 'full' Pioneer system in the mid-90s, but it was just an amp, a CD player and a tuner, so hardly even close to those big rack-mounted beauties. Pretty good little stereo, though. After they upgraded and gave me the old stereo, I used it for 10 years before I sold it and bought a NAD amp, and then active speakers after that. I bet the guy I sold it to is still using it.

I'm still using a C320BEE with my computer, but I think that nowadays I'd go with something like the 3020, which is much smaller and has a DAC. Do active speakers like you're using have a subwoofer output?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
NIMO tubes are an interesting obsolete display technology:

It’s like a tiny television that can only display ten pictures (the Arabic numerals).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Dick Trauma posted:

Nixie tubes are the best, but vacuum fluorescent is a close second. After years of the dull LED readouts the VF ones looked gloriously bright.

Various models of the old Soviet-era Elektronika calculators used both nixie and VF displays. The Elektronika MK-52 deserves special mention because it had onboard non-volatile EEPROM storage, the only mass-produced calculator to do so. As a tie-in to the last calculator I posted, the HP-41C series was used as a backup flight computer on some early STS missions (and the HP-41CX was designed specifically to include an onboard RTC to meet a NASA requirement) and the Electronika MK-52 was used as a backup on some Soyuz missions.