Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
My son watched the first 3 alien movies with me this past summer. He's 13 and a sci-fi fan. We watched Alien Resurrection last night. He didn't want to watch it because he heard it was terrible.

He thought AR was the scariest of the series. The newborn creeped him out. I couldn't believe it.

He refuses to watch the AVP movies. Even at 13 he knows that's a stupid movie premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

JeffLeonard posted:

My son watched the first 3 alien movies with me this past summer. He's 13 and a sci-fi fan. We watched Alien Resurrection last night. He didn't want to watch it because he heard it was terrible.

He thought AR was the scariest of the series. The newborn creeped him out. I couldn't believe it.

He refuses to watch the AVP movies. Even at 13 he knows that's a stupid movie premise.

I feel like a 13 year old should want to see something like AVP. That's when you're supposed to be into that kinda thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Those movies don't do that stupid premise justice.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Yea but the 13 year old kid doesn't know that. You'd think he'd be all about that premise.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but the 13 year old kid doesn't know that. You'd think he'd be all about that premise.

Part of it's time of release. No one's clamoring to see Cowboys vs Aliens either although they probably were around the time it was coming out.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I think I was 15 when AVP came out and I went and saw it in theaters and I don't remember even having a reaction to it. I think generally, every movie I've seen in theaters I have some sort of mental attachment to my feelings leaving the theaters, but I seriously try to remember how I felt about AVP and I just remember :geno:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I could tell just from the trailers that the entire look of that movie was wrong, and as a result the movie was probably garbage. When I broke down and watched them years later they were worse than I could've imagined.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They hosed up by putting the aliens in the predator universe rather than the comics/games which put the predators in the aliens universe.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

They hosed up by putting the aliens in the predator universe rather than the comics/games which put the predators in the aliens universe.

Agreed. I think it would have worked much better if it was a similar "hunting" scenario, but just on some Alien infested planet where the Predators don't fully know what they're getting into. Not an over designed ancient aliens pyramid/Predator amusement park.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's well known the reason they set it in the present day in a tiny temple was so they could shoot the film in a very short time and rush it into theaters to cash in on Freddy vs Jason.

But here are just two better premises that were used in AVP media prior to the film:

1 - The predators, who have enslaved a queen into their ship, launch alien eggs onto a human colony planet so that the aliens can spread into this environment and make for an interesting hunt. The clever queen sneaks a queen egg into the batch and things go out of control, forcing predators and humans to ally to stop the entire world from being overtaken.

2 - While digging a new subway station, workers on a human colony planet uncover a huge amount of dormant alien eggs. The aliens begin to rapidly overrun the city and threaten to overrun the world. The humans send a desperate distress signal to the earth-based authorities, knowing it will take weeks to even reach them and that they might be doomed by the time help arrives. A passing alien vessel receives and understands the distress call and decides this planet has worthy prey.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lurdiak posted:

The movies are a good and cool premise, executed poorly. There's a ton of interesting themes and ideas an AvP movie could tackle (nature vs nurture, the parasitic relationship that both Aliens and Predators have with humans) and have great action and characters to boot.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
He likes Predator and he likes Alien...he just thinks they don't go together. Makes me proud!

It's a lot of fun watching my favorite movies with him because I'm often surprised at what he likes or dislikes about certain movies.

I always have him watch theatrical cuts the first time, except Alien3.

T2: he doesn't like the DC. Doesn't like the ending. Won't watch T3 or Salvation because he heard they're awful (they are). Loved Genisys.

Aliens: he likes the DC's xtra footage EXCEPT he hates that they show the colony before the outbreak.

Alien 3: watched "workprint/assembly" first and liked it. Started to watch theatrical with his friend and stopped 20 mins in.

Likes the JJ Trek movies, won't watch the old stuff.

He could be the first person I know that likes Alien Resurrection. Must be his mom's DNA.

JeffLeonard fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 16, 2015

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

JeffLeonard posted:

Aliens: he likes the DC's xtra footage EXCEPT he hates that they show the colony before the outbreak.

If he likes the scene where Hudson telegraphs the existence of the queen you need to have a long talk with him.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Why cookie Rocket posted:

If he likes the scene where Hudson telegraphs the existence of the queen you need to have a long talk with him.

Ha! It's mainly the sentry gun scenes that he likes.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Why cookie Rocket posted:

"So who's laying these eggs?" is such a good way to foreshadow the queen without being too on-the-nose about it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Baronjutter posted:

AvP 1 doesn't take place in either 'universe'. It takes place in a microcosmic videogame constructed by the 'Predators', based around their religious ideology.

The trouble with the film is that it's actually much too 'highbrow', having to establish this pyramid as a model for the Predator cosmology while, simultaneously, deconstructing that same model - pointing out the flaws in the game.

Nobody fully exposits the rules of the game, but the basic idea is that if you kill the 6 Aliens (and however many 'face-huggers') you win. If you fail, the entire site is destroyed. So the lesson the predator teens are being taught is about maintaining a ying-yang balance of opposites, lest the world be overwhelmed by greed and corruption or whatever.

What this means is that the entire film is spent cheating. Things start to go wrong because the humans steal the guns and are not willing sacrifices, while the creatures they turn into rebel against the logic of the game to free the queen. Then the hero Predator throws away his personal nuke and helps kill the queen - both acts being implicitly against the rules.

That's why you have the film ending with the 'Predalien': the guy was supposed to have committed space-seppuku, and none of his superiors had expected him to break the rules. So basically, they only win by destroying their own civilization.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
For all the talk about Avp, I still remember alot of things about it and I only saw it once. I really can't say the same for requiem. I think the thing I remember most vividly is one of the girl characters getting killed by the disc. That was actually pretty cool.

Also, I have a soft spot for Sanaa Lathan.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

JeffLeonard posted:

JeffLeonard posted:

Ha! It's mainly the sentry gun scenes that he likes.

You have a smart kid

JeffLeonard posted:

Show him the whale movie its the only good old trek movie

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zVxTeflon posted:

That one is bad unless you actually lived in the mid 80s.

It's an interesting look at the early environmental movement though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

JeffLeonard posted:

Won't watch T3 or Salvation because he heard they're awful (they are).

Loved Genisys.

likes Alien Resurrection.

Interesting boundaries for 'I've heard it's awful so I won't watch it' here.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Genyisis is by far the worst Terminator movie. It's all a buncha crap I've seen before. Mostly from the TV show.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

zVxTeflon posted:

But Wrath of Khan doesn't have any whales...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JeffLeonard posted:

He likes Predator and he likes Alien...he just thinks they don't go together. Makes me proud!

It's a lot of fun watching my favorite movies with him because I'm often surprised at what he likes or dislikes about certain movies.

I always have him watch theatrical cuts the first time, except Alien3.

T2: he doesn't like the DC. Doesn't like the ending. Won't watch T3 or Salvation because he heard they're awful (they are). Loved Genisys.

Alien 3: watched "workprint/assembly" first and liked it. Started to watch theatrical with his friend and stopped 20 mins in.

He could be the first person I know that likes Alien Resurrection. Must be his mom's DNA.

Other than not wanting to watch the old Trek movies (seriously wtf make that kid watch Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country at least) I think your kid might be the goddamn Kwisatz Haderach. :stare:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really didn't think Wrath of Khan was all that great when I watched all the Trek films...

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Lurdiak posted:

I really didn't think Wrath of Khan was all that great when I watched all the Trek films...

I don't think it's amazing but it is a very solid film.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

I don't think it's amazing but it is a very solid film.

I mean it's fine, but it's not very cerebral for Star Trek. Even the original Khan episode had more going on. I'm way more into the Motion Picture.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My favorite Trek movies are IV and VI, for very different reasons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Those are both pretty good too.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I love TMP and II for very different reasons. I place VI and First Contact lower, but still enjoyable.

TMP and II both helped define large sci-fi for their era. The effects in TMP were groundbreaking for their time (and also why there's so much time spent in vfx glory shots, not to mention a huge modeled Enterprise which hadn't been on TV in a while). It was also very serious, and tried to mature Star Trek a little bit, for better or worse.
Khan is just a romping revenge story done with submarine combat, but again it hadn't really been done with that spectacle before.

They're both quaint in this age of film-making, but they were big deals when they came out. I love the old-school tone, where the plot isn't afraid to breathe.

Edit: and to bring it full circle, same with Alien. That poo poo was groundbreaking in scifi-horror when it came out. But since EVERYTHING has copied it since then, it seems much less special now.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The kid seems way too willing to let other people decide his opinions for him and skip things because he heard they were "horrible". He wound up liking Alien Resurrection, after all, he oughtta give more things a chance.

I mean, I know he's just a kid, but it sounds like he's already well on his way to Snotsville.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Any news on the next Alien installment?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 25, 2015

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

lizardman posted:

The kid seems way too willing to let other people decide his opinions for him and skip things because he heard they were "horrible". He wound up liking Alien Resurrection, after all, he oughtta give more things a chance.

I mean, I know he's just a kid, but it sounds like he's already well on his way to Snotsville.

Snotsville? Hey, gently caress you buddy.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NarkyBark posted:

Edit: and to bring it full circle, same with Alien. That poo poo was groundbreaking in scifi-horror when it came out. But since EVERYTHING has copied it since then, it seems much less special now.

Honestly, I can't think of a single scfi-horror that comes close to matching it. So I think its still pretty special.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Blade runner would be a much better example of something that's lost a lot of spectacle.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It really hasn't though. AlienS on the other hand...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can't think of a movie that does the exact same thing that Alien does and either does it justice or improves upon it. It's pretty much unique, even if there are a lot of similar moviefilms.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Alien and Blade Runner both are some of the best examples of sci-fi using smart imagery and sound design to enhance their stories thematically and psychologically. Aliens is also really special in its own way by doing that in the form of an action movie. Like the scene where a marine delivers an action movie one-liner, sticks his weapon in an alien's mouth, and the ensuing head-explosion showers him in acid.

You get this bizarre double-reciprocation of phallic imagery. He puts his dick-like shotgun into the dick-like alien's mouth and both are showered in burning death-cum. 'Action movies' as a concept self destructs under the weight of its own machismo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sockser posted:

Blade runner would be a much better example of something that's lost a lot of spectacle.

I saw Blade Runner (final cut) for the first time about a month ago. I don't think it's lost any spectacle, mostly because I can't imagine being more impressed.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lets take a brief moment and talk about fandom. This is probably applicable in pretty much any pop culture thread, but I'm posting it here because I have a lot of exposure to Alien fandom, and because I just got to see some of the worst of it on a message board I frequent.

I get where fandom stems from - shared cultural experience, and the desire to relive it with others. It can be useful - at its core, we frequent CineD because we're fans of movies in a broader sense, and it gives us an outlet to share our ideas. In the age of the Internet, that ability has never been greater.

The problem is the kinds of people that get attracted to fandoms, and the sort of septic atmosphere it breeds. People often lose sight of the bigger picture, and spend more time debating and arguing about minutiae than enjoying the thing they're all allegedly a fan of. You get people trying to force their opinions on others as if they're some kind of righteous defenders and arbitrators of something that exists to entertain and make money.

I recently got dragged into a "canon" debate, the unholiest, most toxic and divisive of debates you find with fandoms. I hate them, and my position on canon debates is pretty universally "this is the official word, but please disregard it if you don't like it and just do what makes you happy".
Canon is ultimately an opinion, and it should be what you enjoy. Who cares what some other fan thinks, or what some corporation says?

But instead I've been (futilely) trying to reason with someone who thinks that their arbitrary, goalposts-changing personal views are literal, factual truth, and that by disagreeing with him, I am disagreeing with The Canon.
It's a storm in a teacup, a not-quite shouting match (or at least *I* am keeping my cool) on an Internet forum that 99.9% of the human population will never see, let alone give a poo poo about, where I'm trying to convince him that yes, it's okay for people to have a different opinion from him, and no, I'm not trying to change his opinion and I don't care if he agrees with my view or not. He completely lacks self awareness about what it means to be "a fan" of something, or how to share an opinion.

It's the worst example of "fandom" summed up in one debate, it hits every Bingo card checkbox for what's wrong with fandom. It's really unfortunate, and it'll never change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The interesting thing about Aliens is that it's a perfect film for VHS - it loses a lot on Blu-Ray.

When the seams aren't smoothed over with lowered resolution and CRT dots, Aliens turns into a film about a world of plastic toys and dioramas. The teal-heavy remaster effectively takes place in those Terminator 1 & 2 'future war' scenes - a less-convincing version of Prometheus' Trek-parody slickness.