Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

showbiz_liz posted:

Yeah, they like Carson because he's a way for them to pretend they aren't racist. "Oh, nooo, we don't hate black people! Just black people who fail to fit into our incredibly narrow definition of how it's acceptable for a black person to behave!"

Not really... They don't give a poo poo if you think they're racist. They just like Ben Carson.

EDIT: I think it's important to stress this point as it will help people understand the Republican base: They don't care about Ben Carson's race, THEY ACTUALLY JUST LIKE HIM.

Would they let him date their daughters? Most likely not... But they would love to have him as a neighbor, teacher, doctor, president, ect.

Montasque fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The X-man cometh posted:

"The twins' blood was drained, their hearts stopped, and functionality of their brains limited."

Non-functional hearts and brains - The GOP Base!
:downsrim:
Also, 'Literal children: the GOP base'

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Montasque posted:

Republicans aren't Stormfronters(Well most of them arent') Carson has REALLY high favorablility numbers in every single poll. Liberals seem to be bringing up Carson's race a lot more than the base(save for Freepers, who are basically a step away from Stormfront)

It's definitely and obviously true that most Republicans aren't card-carrying KKK members or overt racists but it's also true that much of Carson's appeal to right-wingers comes from his status as a successful man of color from a poor background, who also happens to be vehemently conservative. To borrow a phrase from George W. Bush (well, his speechwriter), Carson is "the soft bigotry of low expectations" personified. Ben Carson came from nothing and now has everything - why can't the rest of the inner-city rabble be like him? He talks about ending welfare and bootstraps, music to conservative ears, while conveniently forgetting that his own success owes much to government assistance.

And man, the early 2000s were a weird time. A quote from Bush's speech with the "soft bigotry" line:

quote:

For our nation, there is no denying the truth that slavery is a blight on our history and that racism, despite all the progress, still exists today. For my party, there is no escaping the reality that the party of Lincoln has not always carried the mantle of Lincoln.

Can you imagine a Republican Presidential candidate saying that today? They'd be eaten alive by conservative media. If Ben Carson was a teenage black kid in Detroit today and he got killed by a cop, the same people who love him would be calling him a thug who deserved it.

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 22, 2015

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Montasque posted:

Not really... They don't give a poo poo if you think they're racist. They just like Ben Carson.

No no, it's not about what other people think. It's about how they think about themselves. A black guy sprouting undeniably racist policies is reassuring to them, because it allows them to tell themselves that they aren't racist.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What did the intern retweet?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

GOP 2008 - Obama is only popular because he's black!

Goons 2015 - Carson is only popular because he's black!

Spacebump posted:

Iowa being brain dead.

Also LOL at Trump for back peddling on this and exposing his twitter as fake. Dude you NEVER break kayfabe. This will hurt him more than that dumb retweet.

Montasque fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 22, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

DarkCrawler posted:

The fact that Donald Trump is STILL the GOP frontrunner is magical. Is he just really loving good at this or did he enter just at the right moment and he's just lucky?

The one thing I can ID that is giving him a giant advantage is that he's not playing to the general at all. Everyone else is trying to goose the nutty primary voters while still having one eye on the rest of the country. Donald is running as if the rest of the country hardly exists.

It gives him the freedom to not just say the things primary voters want to hear, he can say it in the way they want to hear it. Which is something they've been wanting for a very very long time, and that they were denied for a very good reason.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Spacebump posted:

Probably that bit about how everyone in Iowa are corn-fed bumpkins who couldn't find their rear end with both hands and a map.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Montasque posted:

Both statements are partially true.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Montasque posted:

Iowa being brain dead.

Also LOL at Trump for back peddling on this and exposing his twitter as fake. Dude you NEVER break kayfabe.

lol goons said it in '08 as well, many are current d&d superstars!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I said it before, but Carson is popular because he's running the same scheme as Glenn Beck. He's angling for the freepers wife who agrees with every horrible thing her husband yells at the tv, but doesn't like all the meanness.

The crosstabs on his appeal to women in the primary confirms this.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Spacebump posted:

Trump just trumped himself. All it takes are minor signs of weakness (bad polling) and he's gonna crumble.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Trump can stump the Trump

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Mitt Romney posted:

Trump just trumped himself. All it takes are minor signs of weakness (bad polling) and he's gonna crumble.

Big time. Sell on Trump, buy on Jeb.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Trump's Iowa tweet: proof that G-d can, in fact, heat up a slice of leftover pizza so much that it burns His mouth.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

He did roughly 15000 brain surgeries during his career and made mistakes on something like six of them. It's incredibly disingenuous to try to paint Carson as a bad neurosurgeon. Demanding absolute perfection is unreasonable and childish.

anime tupac posted:

Yeah, I feel bad for the woman profiled in that article, but it's dumb as hell to imply that maybe he's actually a bad neurosurgeon and nobody noticed until Yahoo's celebrity gossip column was on the case. There are enough valid things to criticize the guy for and his medical career isn't one of them.

Also the conjoined twins he separated are doing as well as can be expected given that the procedure involved draining the blood out of two 7-month-old babies who were attached at the loving brain

While I don't think it's at all disingenuous to say he hosed up and shouldn't have carved up a child's brainstem (which neurosurgeons other than him have also said, that he definitely went too far with the operation and should have known better than to excise as much as he did, given the location), I can see your general point. I was not aware that his record was as extensive as it apparently is.

That said, rereading the articles (the Yahoo one isn't the only one I read on it, it was just the first I encountered and thus wound up being the one I linked), I can certainly paint him as an rear end in a top hat for his comments on this; he's apparently been trying to demonize the girl and her family and make himself the victim there, not acknowledging that, you know, he partially paralyzed her and stuff. Which is arguably even worse; while, as you say, 100% perfection is generally not attainable (setting aside that, again, this was apparently a major error and not a minor slip), being the kind of person who would try to paint a girl he inadvertently paralyzed and her family as unreasonable aggressors makes him a massive dick nonetheless.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Just like those Fergonson troublemakers...

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Trump should have doubled downed on that tweet. He can afford to piss on flyover country, he's not evangelical enough for the primaries out here regardless. Let Carson have a narrow win in Iowa, then crush them in California, Ohio, New York, etc.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

He could turn this into a win, by saying he'd never joke about the humble hard-working people of Iowa. Or something.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

he should take a dump on fly over states because chiraq is the american experiment failing. while ny is rising since bloomberg got tough on poors.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 22, 2016

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

I bet /pol/ is on suicide watch. Their beloved meme candidate has been stumped by his own hand.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh man, people are already on Trump over this. This could actually be bad for him. Which is disappointing; I hope he sticks around and shakes the Republican party to pieces as long as possible, personally.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Roland Jones posted:

Oh man, people are already on Trump over this. This could actually be bad for him. Which is disappointing; I hope he sticks around and shakes the Republican party to pieces as long as possible, personally.

I swear if it turns out to be angry mid-western hayseeds that end up being the one group whom a GOP frontrunner cannot insult and get away with it, I will laugh until the end of time. And sob. Simultaneously, in all likelihood.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 22, 2015

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Pander posted:

Trump should have doubled downed on that tweet. He can afford to piss on flyover country, he's not evangelical enough for the primaries out here regardless. Let Carson have a narrow win in Iowa, then crush them in California, Ohio, New York, etc.

Iowa's the first primary, and a lot of Trump's appeal is the self-feeding perception that he's the top dog. Like his whole shtick is that he's super-smart and always right and just ultra-competent. Trump going from leading decisively to not finishing Top-2 (a risk if he openly insults Iowa Republicans repeatedly) smashes that shtick.

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

He did roughly 15000 brain surgeries during his career and made mistakes on something like six of them. It's incredibly disingenuous to try to paint Carson as a bad neurosurgeon. Demanding absolute perfection is unreasonable and childish.

Plus it sounds like he's generally doing the riskier surgeries - pioneering separating the conjoined twins or doing fetal surgeries or whatever. Those generally tend to have worse outcomes because they're newer.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
"The youngest ever division head at Johns Hopkins is, if you think about it, actually bad at medicine" ranks down there with the time Rubio went to Harlan Crow's mansion, which contains literally thousands of historic curiosities, and people were like "MARCO RUBIO VENERATES MEIN KAMPF AT HITLER SHRINE"

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Was anything he said about Iowa not true though?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Louisgod posted:

I fail to see what that has to do with anything.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I'm interested in what right wing opinion shapers (Rush, Hannity, et al) think about Trump's tweet. If they end up dogpiling him because of it, yeah, it may end up hurting him. If it's a non-starter/issue with them, or they make excuses for Trump, I think it'll be fine.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Latest Paul news:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/10/mixed-verdict-case-ron-paul-aides-jesse-benton-dimitri-kesari

quote:

Jesse Benton, the grandson-in-law of Ron Paul and the former head of the main super-PAC backing Rand Paul in his 2016 run, was acquitted on one charge of lying to the FBI about his knowledge of the plan. Dimitri Kesari, a long-time Paul family associate, was found guilty of causing false records but acquitted on a charge that he tried to get the state senator to deny the payments once he realized a federal investigation was underway. The jury deadlocked on three other charges against Kesari accusing him of conspiracy and violating specific campaign finance laws.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

The dude flat out called Mexicans rapists, Fiorina an uggo, and McCaine a plane-crashing loser who let himself get tortured.

This tweet ain't poo poo compared to that. And besides, it only insults Carson supporters who weren't supporting Trump anyway. Gonna have to try harder to stump this Trump.

The problem wasn't the tweet, the problem was he deleted it and blamed an intern.

As far as Talk-Radio goofs they don't care about twitter and will only talk about it if it picks up steam in the main-stream or conservative media.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Louisgod posted:

It was a very true tweet.

I remember in 2004 John Kerry said something kind of negative about Iowa and didn't really campaign there. That was one of the main reasons I caucused for him - I agreed that Iowa was a stupid lovely state that I just so happened to live in!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Montasque posted:

The problem wasn't the tweet, the problem was he deleted it and blamed an intern.

If he comes back and says "What I actually meant to send is gently caress IOWA gently caress IOWA YOU ARE ALL A BUNCH OF IGNORANT HAYSEEDS and my useless probably-Iowan intern toned it down" he'll be okay.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

What this tweet is gonna do is summon the fourth horseman of the GOP Trumpocalypse and begin an attack on giant agribusiness. What is with you guys?! I'm ashamed of you. One tweet and you're proclaiming his demise? Have you forgotten that this is Trump we're talking about?!

It's not that he finally said the Insult Too Far, but rather that he walked it back afterward rather than doubling-down which to date has been his practice. His facade of being the big swingin' dick of the GOP lives or dies on maintaining a "I'm never wrong, and never apologize" front, which this threatens (though yeah it's unlikely to sink him on its own).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Trump won't fall because the other candidates don't rise. Maybe at a debate he can swing a few points, but do NH voters really care about Iowa? How About South Carolina?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It's okay he was only pretending to be retarded.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

It was not a Trump tweet that was deleted (it was a retweet of someone else's).

Trump didn't apologize (the intern did).

Nuance and accuracy: two things that bear a lot of weight in the 2016 GOP primary.

• Locked thread