Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

Valiant Pudding posted:

How does the Fault Detector work when mining? I've been using it to shoot asteroids with autolock on in the red spots after pulsing, but i've never gotten more resources than the ones listed in the asteroid when I scanned them?

Without shooting the weak spots, I got about one ress unit per asteroid. With it I get about 3. I guess your scanner takes that into account? Strangely, when I equipped the Fault Detector the first time, I didn't get the red marks and asteroids still gave only 1 ress. Later (docking/quiting &reloading) it started working.

Otherwise very fun game :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I've only just started playing this so I'm not that far in. Silly questions.

Is there any better way to see commodities prices across the galaxy than watching it automatically cycle between the In Stock and Out Of Stock when moused over on the stellar map? Is there a way to get trader data for places you are not currently at, or is it all "Last time you came here, these were the prices" listings?

Usually I'm as law abiding as doesn't get me kill on sight because that's a hassle and pirating tends to be more "Well, you CAN I guess" in these sort of games. On the off chance I decide to go mad with power if I play this long enough to get a big ship it would be nice to pick out the one that has actual stations or practical value beyond "They are criminals and they like you too much to shoot at random".

How exactly do smuggler holds work, do they give you a set amount of scan proof space on top of your normal capacity? Or do they switch you to a very tiny cargo hold? In either case, do larger ships get access to larger smuggler holds?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

What's the exclamation mark over stations on the map indicate? Is it just that there's some newsworthy special effect on them?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Reminder that they achieved the mocap and lipsynch for the NPCs with a loving Kinect. It looks really drat good for such a small project and cost gently caress all. A certain other dev should take som notes.
Also, pretty drat cool game. I'll probably buy it again on PS4 just for chilling on the couch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what does this game have to offer other than the less good half of a really good minigame

I'd love a new escape velocity/elite/independence war type space piratey game but what does this do that those don't/better than they do

Unlike the other space sims you mentioned, the focus of Rebel Galaxy is on the ship to ship combat and clearing out the galaxy map of its point of interests, whether that's responding to distress calls, finding cargo to collect, or participating in small to huge capitol ship battles. All the econ and mining bloat has been effectively streamlined or cut out entirely. You can build up your trading rep and do a lot of merchant guild missions for cash, or you could very easily blow up some pirates for credits. You can spend a lot of time finding the best rates for all your commodities, or you can just sell them all at the nearest spaceport and be off exploring again. What I like about RG is that it's not overly ambitious, you have a very simple interface and menus and can just take off from there. Other space sims I feel like you need to read a novel about for all the janky idiosyncrasies, this game starts you off with the basics and within an hour you're off battling dudes and negotiating with frogmen instead of flipping through menus at a space port, deciding if you should buy the Temporal Emitters or the Phase Disruptor for your cargo hold. That's the appeal of it to me.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Ciaphas posted:

Is there a way to stop my ship from randomly slowing down during warp? Thought at first it was distance to nearby stellar objects but that doesn't seem to be it :(
You'll slow down if you get anywhere near objects even if they don't show up on your radar. More annoying are the billions of space rocks that keep stopping me for two seconds before I can warp again.

Alchenar posted:

What's the exclamation mark over stations on the map indicate? Is it just that there's some newsworthy special effect on them?
Hover over it and there will be colored text in the information box telling you what's happening. Usually it's something like a boom that effects the prices, but sometimes it's a war or an invasion or something.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm still annoyed that Sunless Sea wasn't more like this game.

Gamesguy posted:

The cheap frigate(scarab?) With 7 turrets but only 3 broadsides is incredibly good. Load up with a mix of pulses, particle lasers, and one ion cannon and you won't even need to use the broadsides, the turrets auto target and murder everything.

I took the homing missile secondary so I can just mash shift when I need more firepower.
Is it incredibly good in the first system, or the second as well? I've been wondering about that ship, but the thought of having to pay for seven individual turret upgrades was just way too spooky for me.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 22, 2015

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I just ran into my first seiged station. Never try to blockade run through with a ship much smaller than their mines :stonk:

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Between this and the amazing Starsector I have my EV:Nova itch scratched.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Section Z posted:

I've only just started playing this so I'm not that far in. Silly questions.

Is there any better way to see commodities prices across the galaxy than watching it automatically cycle between the In Stock and Out Of Stock when moused over on the stellar map? Is there a way to get trader data for places you are not currently at, or is it all "Last time you came here, these were the prices" listings?

Usually I'm as law abiding as doesn't get me kill on sight because that's a hassle and pirating tends to be more "Well, you CAN I guess" in these sort of games. On the off chance I decide to go mad with power if I play this long enough to get a big ship it would be nice to pick out the one that has actual stations or practical value beyond "They are criminals and they like you too much to shoot at random".

How exactly do smuggler holds work, do they give you a set amount of scan proof space on top of your normal capacity? Or do they switch you to a very tiny cargo hold? In either case, do larger ships get access to larger smuggler holds?
Unless there's some late game trader item to buy that gets you up to date info, you've found the long and the short of it. The trading interface is probably the worst part, which is sad because I think it's deeper than its letting on. Or maybe that's the point of obfuscating it. As it is, its hard to recommend anything other than guild missions if you want to be a trader.

So far I've only seen Red Cartel stations, and thinking about it, I think those are the only faction I've seen offering missions at outsider stations. Thinking about it more, most law abiding stations are citizen affiliated, I wonder if there are enough Red Cartel missions against militia to grind to get neutral while keeping visitor privileges at civilian stations.

Who the hell sells smuggler holds. The way equipment shops work in this game are really cool and good at making you want to find what counts as different types to visit.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

I'm still annoyed that Sunless Sea wasn't more like this game.

Is it incredibly good in the first system, or the second as well? I've been wondering about that ship, but the thought of having to pay for seven individual turret upgrades was just way too spooky for me.
Well you can pretty easily do the personal math to see if you'll end up ahead in damage per second, I am pretty sure broadside stats are listed per shot, so you lose however many of those for several turrets. The guiding light for ship purchases should be feel and strategy though so if you find yourself neglecting broadsides or really digging turrets, it should be an easier decision.

Daily reminder for everyone that ships and ship equipment buy and sell for 1:1 so you can experiment without losing net worth.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 22, 2015

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

zedprime posted:

Daily reminder for everyone that ships and ship equipment buy and sell for 1:1 so you can experiment without losing net worth.
:pirate:

this changes everything...

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Doctor Schnabel posted:

You'll need ships with the bigger broadsides to punch through larger targets, but the 7 turret one with a good loadout will last you a while.

I like the mercenary guild ships the most. They're decently heavy but faster than other hulls of the same size.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
Chiming in that this game owns and it's $18.

I finally bought an Arcturus yesterday and got it decently outfitted. Now I think I have to advance the story because I can't find any more missions above high threat in any of the sectors.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Only played for an hour so far but drat this is a fun game. I can't help but imagine my character piloting his ship with one arm leaning out the window with the soundtrack blaring as he cruises around or blows up ships.

Obligatory music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6eSksEp27U

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Is there any way to jettison cargo? I 'accidentally' picked up some illegal space slaves from a kill but can't find any stations that will buy them, and I don't fancy any more contraband fines from the militia.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Bad Parenting posted:

Is there any way to jettison cargo? I 'accidentally' picked up some illegal space slaves from a kill but can't find any stations that will buy them, and I don't fancy any more contraband fines from the militia.

"Sorry guys, slaves are illegal so I'm firing yall out the airlock."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bad Parenting posted:

Pretty sure esc key -> scroll the menus at the top to cargo gives you that option.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Is it possible to turn off the lens flare?

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Wrr posted:

Does anyone know the difference between Ambient music and Idle music? Haven't been able to find anything on it with google.

Think of ambient music as mood lighting for your ears.

edit: Music ->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjEMB4eK1Qs

Incombibulator fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 22, 2015

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sheep posted:

It's literally an option in the launcher.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
10 hours into the game it's entirely possible to own the cheapest dreadnought. Mercenary Guild missions have ridiculously ludicrous payouts.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Binged like ~5 more hours last night, only complaint I really have is that it can be sorta hard to tell what shape your shields and hull plating are in. Yea if your shields are down then the segment vanishes entirely, but while you're taking fire it just seems like "They're totally good until they aren't. Hull plating seems to shade from full white to grey as it gets damaged, but any time you're actively taking fire both shields and hull just flash red on that quadrant so you can't even tell what shape it's in.

They need an option to just show number values on top of each quadrant, or do like the old Starfleet battles style layers + color coding, etc.

RuckusRouser
Sep 28, 2015

Theres a lot of close ups of landing gear

I am enjoying the game so far (partially through the second system storywise), but I have some questions for anyone who has beaten the game or is very far in:

1) Does the combat gameplay ever change besides "warp to the location, fight waves of enemies made up of a few big craft and lots of smaller craft, loot"?

2) Do the later ships play differently from each other or are all of them variations on "lots of turrets with a few broadsides" and "lots of broadsides with a few turrets"?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Stevefin posted:

I just ran into my first seiged station. Never try to blockade run through with a ship much smaller than their mines :stonk:

Is that what those loving mines are? Like a third of the places I got to in the starting system are surrounded by them, and I just thought I was hostile with whatever faction owned the station.

Pretty fun game so far, but I think controlling the camera in combat is a pain. I keep getting it stuck behind my ship so I can't actually see if my missiles or broadsides are pointing at large ships, or I get it somewhere I can't track the faster fighters when I'm in turret mode. That'll probably go away as I play though. I've only done a few story missions and handful of side missions.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

10 hours into the game it's entirely possible to own the cheapest dreadnought. Mercenary Guild missions have ridiculously ludicrous payouts.
Dang, I guess I need to join the merc guild. Best payouts I've seen so far have been in the 150k range, for merchant guild collection quests. I think I am rank 7 or so with them. A lot of my quests involve me rushing through huge blockades of enemies with much larger ships than I have. I was hoping to get myself to that 5 million'ish merchant guild ship that is very fast, but I am still way short.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Sheep posted:

SOmeone needs to check the option in the Launcher.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Edit: nevermind, wrong station.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 22, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gwaihir posted:

Binged like ~5 more hours last night, only complaint I really have is that it can be sorta hard to tell what shape your shields and hull plating are in. Yea if your shields are down then the segment vanishes entirely, but while you're taking fire it just seems like "They're totally good until they aren't. Hull plating seems to shade from full white to grey as it gets damaged, but any time you're actively taking fire both shields and hull just flash red on that quadrant so you can't even tell what shape it's in.

They need an option to just show number values on top of each quadrant, or do like the old Starfleet battles style layers + color coding, etc.

The shield sections do fade out as they get depleted, it shows the fade on both the blue and red colors. I kinda agree that the fade is not as obvious as it could be -- with that segmented display why not have it shrink to the center as it gets damaged? -- but it's definitely there.

What you're experiencing is that the starter shields suck and the mk1 shields are only ok, plus there are a decent number of weapons that can take them down so fast that you won't notice the in-between states. A missile barrage from a big ship or whatever missile that the bombers use will one-shot your shields. Gunships can also be nasty if they line up on you (they seem to have three or four turrets worth of guns).

Your main "shield" is the deflector. It's not an emergency thing to save until you're taking armor damage, you need to be cycling it to absorb big hits. After that the shields should be able to keep up reasonably well between regen and switching quadrants.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Deflector Absorbers are goddamn amazing. Nothing like having paper thin shields after after a huge assault and letting badguy torpedoes refill them for you.

RuckusRouser posted:

I am enjoying the game so far (partially through the second system storywise), but I have some questions for anyone who has beaten the game or is very far in:

1) Does the combat gameplay ever change besides "warp to the location, fight waves of enemies made up of a few big craft and lots of smaller craft, loot"?

2) Do the later ships play differently from each other or are all of them variations on "lots of turrets with a few broadsides" and "lots of broadsides with a few turrets"?

1) Not really so far, I keep hoping I'll somehow get fighters of my own or can hire more than one mercenary.

2) there's also "Lots of everything". Bigger ships are not necessarily better I have found. My Dreadnought takes takes a crapton more hits than my speedy frigate ever did. Sure I can dish out the firepower but if I'm indiscriminate with my broadside I end of killing allies. I also need to have a variety of turrets with a handful dedicated to anti-fighter. Lasers are good for one real thing, peeling turrets off big ships. A combo of mining and particle lasers can strip a fellow dread or a station of turrets real quick.

Flak as a secondary is also great. Torpedoes will wreck your world very quick.

Although you can get Ramming Deflectors. And getting rammed by a Dread serious fucks up smaller ships.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 22, 2015

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.
Any sense on whether flak turrets can stop missiles/torpedoes the way the flak secondary can? Or whether EMP flak does so also?

Not sure if it's just using the small ships, but so far turrets > broadsides. Mostly using Neutron.

Likewise, can't see a reason (except cost) not to go with beam weapons for most turrets. The increased damage seems to make them almost as good at stripping shields, and much better once you're down to hull.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

sizuka2 posted:

Likewise, can't see a reason (except cost) not to go with beam weapons for most turrets. The increased damage seems to make them almost as good at stripping shields, and much better once you're down to hull.

I think the real benefit to beam turrets is their perfect accuracy. Pulse turrets seem to have a > 50% miss rate on fighters beyond a SM or so.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Got this game last night. Started it up, left the space station, flew to a distress beacon, and got blown to pieces by some ship with a few fighters. I'm already a fan.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Klyith posted:

The shield sections do fade out as they get depleted, it shows the fade on both the blue and red colors. I kinda agree that the fade is not as obvious as it could be -- with that segmented display why not have it shrink to the center as it gets damaged? -- but it's definitely there.

What you're experiencing is that the starter shields suck and the mk1 shields are only ok, plus there are a decent number of weapons that can take them down so fast that you won't notice the in-between states. A missile barrage from a big ship or whatever missile that the bombers use will one-shot your shields. Gunships can also be nasty if they line up on you (they seem to have three or four turrets worth of guns).

Your main "shield" is the deflector. It's not an emergency thing to save until you're taking armor damage, you need to be cycling it to absorb big hits. After that the shields should be able to keep up reasonably well between regen and switching quadrants.

I just hit the second area last night and I have the mk. 2 shields with extra strength but longer charge time (I think they're around 1k? absorb) so they rarely actually go down before I turn about and present a fresh side to whatever I'm fighting. I think the constant "I'm taking fire!" flash is the worst culprit really.

Torps can be loving ridiculous though, especially taking the missions that mention torpedo boats being around. If you don't do a lot of camera spinning on the way in it's easy to miss them and then suddenly your hull plating is red on one quadrant. Taping the shift key down to always be spewing flak helps with that though.

Also totally agree with beam laser turrets being all around amazing. Battering down shields isn't too hard on large ships, and their huge DPS compensates for the terrible shield damage percent. Aside from that they're super great at murdering anything small thanks to the accuracy.

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.
Think the broadsides get better dps if you don't fully charge them - that seems to be charging accuracy, not damage. Assuming you don't miss, which if you're alongside a big ship, you won't.

Agreed that flak is great vs. torpedoes.

And the full refund on anything you buy means that it's actually not that hard to try different builds...

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

sizuka2 posted:

Think the broadsides get better dps if you don't fully charge them - that seems to be charging accuracy, not damage. Assuming you don't miss, which if you're alongside a big ship, you won't.

This is the big trade-off with the laser broadsides I just picked up in the second system. On the one-hand, when they're fully aligned, they can actually hit and kill fighters, which is awesome, but if you don't let them charge up you can miss a loving capital ship that's within half a space meter (I LOVE space meters as a measure of distance, it's great).

I'm loving the random alien technology loot you can pick up from destroyed ships' cargo containers. I haven't found one of the apparently awesome viridian beams yet, but last night I picked up a missile turret with a 14 space meter range and an infinite ammo supply. poo poo's loving crazy.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
^^^^^^^^ This is one thing I have YET to find. I've gotten a bunch of random systems/weapons, but nothing better than what I've got. And I've taken down several Pirate Lords already.

Gwaihir posted:

Also totally agree with beam laser turrets being all around amazing. Battering down shields isn't too hard on large ships, and their huge DPS compensates for the terrible shield damage percent. Aside from that they're super great at murdering anything small thanks to the accuracy.

A mix of turrets seem to be best. The long reload times for lasers sucks against the larger ships later on in the game. Their shield recharge speed is ridiculous and the pecking away from the pulse turrets makes the recharge pause.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Rocketpriest posted:

This is the big trade-off with the laser broadsides I just picked up in the second system. On the one-hand, when they're fully aligned, they can actually hit and kill fighters, which is awesome, but if you don't let them charge up you can miss a loving capital ship that's within half a space meter (I LOVE space meters as a measure of distance, it's great).

I'm loving the random alien technology loot you can pick up from destroyed ships' cargo containers. I haven't found one of the apparently awesome viridian beams yet, but last night I picked up a missile turret with a 14 space meter range and an infinite ammo supply. poo poo's loving crazy.

I'm in second system and have yet to find anything but trade loot from drops wth

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Deadmeat5150 posted:

^^^^^^^^ This is one thing I have YET to find. I've gotten a bunch of random systems/weapons, but nothing better than what I've got. And I've taken down several Pirate Lords already.

A mix of turrets seem to be best. The long reload times for lasers sucks against the larger ships later on in the game. Their shield recharge speed is ridiculous and the pecking away from the pulse turrets makes the recharge pause.

That makes sense. I have the hammerhead looking ship with 6 broadside ports and 4 turrets, and I'm using two mk2 pulses and two of the beam turrets. The range on the pulses is nice for poking away non stop and battering shields a bit before the beams get in range.

I just bought the beam weapon broadside to try out compared to the sniper type, and it is really funny watching beams go lancing off at right angles when you fire without letting it lock/charge for more than half the time needed.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

FrancoFish posted:

I'm in second system and have yet to find anything but trade loot from drops wth

Weapons only come out of cargo crates, rare weapons come out of special crates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

wiegieman posted:

Weapons only come out of cargo crates, rare weapons come out of special crates.

Man I have never even seen a special crate.

• Locked thread