Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Geight posted:

It looks really boring and slow, and the announcer sounds like a speak n' spell.

Dude, it's an alpha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Doom 4 looks like a nice blend of Halo and Quake. Both of these games are a lot of fun, and honestly the video gave me a little bit of hope.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

nexus6 posted:

Dude, it's an alpha

These days, alpha is just a fancy name for " pre-release demo". :v:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

nexus6 posted:

Dude, it's an alpha

Yes, that is my opinion of the alpha.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RyokoTK posted:

Doom 4 looks like a nice blend of Halo and Quake. Both of these games are a lot of fun, and honestly the video gave me a little bit of hope.

I'm really hoping that there's at least some sort of switch or change-up from the techno stuff to a really good hell landscape. I mean, they've shown that off a bit, haven't they?

Also, I'd love to see at least one redo of an old Doom or Doom 2 map :allears: But I have to face facts... I have no idea when I'll be getting a new video card, so I'll probably play this years and years from now.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Geight posted:

Yes, that is my opinion of the alpha.

My opinion is similar to your opinion (on the alpha (of DOOM(4)))

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I am also cautiously optimistic because I'm kind of encouraged by then not aping classic fps conventions. The last time I played a modern doom-style fps was Wrack and that didn't leave a good impression on me.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Geight posted:

It looks really boring and slow, and the announcer sounds like a speak n' spell.

Gordon. Freeman. Report. To. Laboratory. Five. For. rear end. Inspection.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

:siren: WOOP WOOP

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Luigi Thirty posted:

relevant to your interests

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Guillermus posted:

Grognards can vomit blood. Doom(4?) is a different game than Doom and Doom 2,

If Doom wanted to be a different game from Doom, it shouldn't have been called Doom.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

TANGO! OH! YEAH!
DOWN. IN. THE. HOLE. IS. FREEMAN.
LET'S. GO. KICK! HIS! rear end!
THEN. WE. WILL! KNOW! IF! WE! CAN! TANGO!
YEAH!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cat Mattress posted:

If Doom wanted to be a different game from Doom, it shouldn't have been called Doom.

why bother even making sequels at all

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cat Mattress posted:

On the other hand there's only been two related Doom games, just like there's only been two related Quake games (2 and 4).

iD isn't really known for things staying the same just because the name is.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
And one of those Doom games was basically an expansion pack, instead of an actual new game.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

In theory, to signify that the new game will capitalize and expand on what made the prior game so good.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It just annoys me that it's named Doom, without number or subtitle or anything else to distinguish it from the 1993 title.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
My favorite thing about Doom's legacy is how people have this assumption that the game is a bleeding-fast reflex shooter, when the game was designed such that you were expected to move like a tank and occasionally strafe. Doom is slow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Regarding game/sequel names, I feel this way with the Bioshock games. Is it the plasmids/tonics that are really keeping that name there? Like using them, having them change your dna, is a 'shock' to your biology/system? Is there a reason that these games needed to be called 'Bioshock' at all? I understand 'System Shock', but not this.

Also, I'm trying to enjoy Infinite, but goddamn, does it feel like a mad-libbed version of Bioshock 1.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Regarding game/sequel names, I feel this way with the Bioshock games. Is it the plasmids/tonics that are really keeping that name there? Like using them, having them change your dna, is a 'shock' to your biology/system? Is there a reason that these games needed to be called 'Bioshock' at all? I understand 'System Shock', but not this.

Also, I'm trying to enjoy Infinite, but goddamn, does it feel like a mad-libbed version of Bioshock 1.

I need to find the troll post about how it's called bioshock because of the common combination of electricity and water, and bio = water.

Have this in the meantime.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

RyokoTK posted:

Feel the same. I really dig the demon powerup they got going on.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My advice is to stop. It doesn't really get much better after a point and it slides slowly into madness and frustration. The ghosts. :argh:

I'll admit I did enjoy the DLC were you get to play as Corvo Elizabeth mechanically. Of course, it has its own... issues. :gonk:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

bioshock infinite is amazingly bad and made me miss bioshock 1 (and 2, which honestly had more improved gameplay in basically every way)

having a lot of weapons at my disposal was fun, and taking that away only to replace it with a limited system where even basically every weapon sucked was horrible

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Personally, I'm waiting on the sequels Visual Shock, Speed Shock, Sound Shock and Now is Time to the 68000 Heart on Fire.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

nexus6 posted:

Dude, it's an alpha
It might shock you to find out that people critically evaluate marketing material for games. Marketing material that is explicitly designed to present the game as it currently exists and while being indicative of what the finished product will be like.

Being discriminating is a good thing when people are trying to sell you something.

Segmentation Fault posted:

My favorite thing about Doom's legacy is how people have this assumption that the game is a bleeding-fast reflex shooter, when the game was designed such that you were expected to move like a tank and occasionally strafe. Doom is slow.
How people perceive doom has a lot to do with how it has been played for the majority of its life and what it looks like when in the hands of a good player. Doom might be slow when you're a 10 year old in the mid 90s but it's not now. Deathmatch in particular has been fast for the last 20 years.

koren fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 22, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Korendian Leader posted:

while being indicative of what the finished product will be like.

Being Alpha, this isn't necessarily true.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Is there an online generator for the HL announcer/grunts? I've had occasions in my life where I needed the voices.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Commander Keenan posted:

Is there an online generator for the HL announcer/grunts? I've had occasions in my life where I needed the voices.

The goon version of Space Station 13 used to have all the Vox clips but they got re-recorded so they could have more words.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Commander Keenan posted:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Ba0UNIryXo: http://www.sounds-resource.com/pc_computer/halflife/sound/1095/

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

On the other hand there's only been two related Doom games, just like there's only been two related Quake games (2 and 4).

iD isn't really known for things staying the same just because the name is.

Yes and the fact that Doom is a 1993 game and this one passed 22 years (23 if you count 2016 release) so is kind of hard to make it like the first unless you do a straight total conversion. Also, Quake Wars is kinda the precuel to Quake 2 too (Stroggs invading the earth).

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

bioshock infinite is amazingly bad and made me miss bioshock 1 (and 2, which honestly had more improved gameplay in basically every way)

having a lot of weapons at my disposal was fun, and taking that away only to replace it with a limited system where even basically every weapon sucked was horrible
Infinite is easily the best in the series in my book. But I thought the first was a little overrated. One of the best FPS games in years for me. Perhaps embarrassingly, I have a full size poster on my wall.

And Doom (4) looks very promising, though we haven't seen too much of the single player. What little we've seen seems Doomy enough to be a very respectable sequel. We have Cacodemons floating around, Revenants, run and gun gameplay, no modern cover malarkey etc, I'm pumped. I wouldn't judge it's Doomyness by the multiplayer, which is outsourced and not by id anyway. Though looks fun in it's own right.

Also don't forget to get pumped for the Bombshell tie-in FPS shareware made on the Duke 3D engine (eduke32 version).

(edit: Speaking of Bioshock and Doom, did you know a level designer from Bioshock recreated an area of the game as a Doom 2 level? Pretty cool http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/arcadia)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 22, 2015

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I can't stop playing System Shock send help.

Also high five to any buddie chums buckarinos that like Bioshock 2. That game received undue shade when it imroved upon the original in every way. Like why the gently caress would you not let me use plasmids at the same time as regular weapons? Don't they just turn into other guns at this point? Fire gun. Bee gun. Okay, bee gun sounds cool but y'know what I'm sayin'

2 also took to the Doom school of design and, as you got more powerful, they simply sent larger numbers of guys at you, rather than just turning them into loving damage sponges. Also being a Big Daddy searching for his Little Sister was a much better concept to wrap the game around rather than 1's "System Shock 2 but slightly to the left."

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

You deserve no help. Keep playing. I-i-i-insect. :colbert:

The only real problem with Bioshock 2 was that it took the worst gimmick part of BS1 and made it a repeated piece of core mechanic. Also, the story wasn't as well-told, but meh.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Also high five to any buddie chums buckarinos that like Bioshock 2. That game received undue shade when it imroved upon the original in every way. Like why the gently caress would you not let me use plasmids at the same time as regular weapons? Don't they just turn into other guns at this point? Fire gun. Bee gun. Okay, bee gun sounds cool but y'know what I'm sayin'

2 also took to the Doom school of design and, as you got more powerful, they simply sent larger numbers of guys at you, rather than just turning them into loving damage sponges. Also being a Big Daddy searching for his Little Sister was a much better concept to wrap the game around rather than 1's "System Shock 2 but slightly to the left."

Pretty much. Fatherhood/parenthood as the core strange identity was a refreshing thing. Didn't like the villain when she was going on about her political ideology, but her being "Mum" to your "Dad" and the clashes it made was much more compelling narrative then "Would You Kindly".

Big Sisters were also terrifying combatants and a great example of "Boss Encounter As A Test of your Collected Skills/Understanding". Fighting two at once was damned satisfying at that.

The hacking mini-game was much improved. The minor characters were fun. The guns were great. The magic powers were also pretty nice in the "offhand" instead of swapping out to them.

It also had a pretty good story DLC with a nice twist and handled racism in a better, and much sinister creepy, way then Infinite.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

Why indeed? Doom II, Final Doom, and /idgames/ already exist, the world does not need a Doom 4. :colbert:

E: I'm serious, Doom 4 should never have existed. Considering how Doom II and Final Doom are more like expansions than separate games, Doom is really a singular entity, a finished work, it stands by itself without need of sequels. There's really something to be said about a game that just stands on its own without having to be part of some big stupid franchise. Why can't Doom just be Doom?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 22, 2015

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Honestly, the real issue is that SgtMarkIV already made the Doomiest Doom. id is completely outclassed.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Awesome. Awesome.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

GlitchThief posted:

Honestly, the real issue is that SgtMarkIV already made the Doomiest Doom. id is completely outclassed.

This is very true. Brutal Doom is pretty much Doom 2015 (or 2014, or whenever it came out). The new official Doom is just "id Shooter 2016... with demons!"

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah I don't even like Brutal Doom and it's still way more creative and interesting than what I have seen of Doom 4

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Geight posted:

Yeah I don't even like Brutal Doom and it's still way more creative and interesting than what I have seen of Doom 4

Well, the majority of the time in Brutal Doom you're playing in well designed levels (such as the original Doom levels), and you haven't really seen any of the Doom 4 levels...

Woolie Wool posted:

Why indeed? Doom II, Final Doom, and /idgames/ already exist, the world does not need a Doom 4. :colbert:

E: I'm serious, Doom 4 should never have existed. Considering how Doom II and Final Doom are more like expansions than separate games, Doom is really a singular entity, a finished work, it stands by itself without need of sequels. There's really something to be said about a game that just stands on its own without having to be part of some big stupid franchise. Why can't Doom just be Doom?

I never get this kind of thing. The two don't conflict with eachother, much like how Doom 3 didn't conflict with Doom 2. Id giving us a new take on Doom, and lots of fans giving us their take on Doom 2 maps, the more the merrier. And this even comes with that SnapMap thingy which could be fun. Though not a replacement for DoomBuilder by any means.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

RyokoTK posted:

"Doom" == "Doom"

"Doom II" != "Doom"