Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rad Valtar posted:

Need some thoughts on Dicetown and also Bang vs Bang The Dice Game? Couple of games my wife thinks looks interesting.

Bang the Dice Game is better than Bang, if only because it's simpler, faster and less fiddly in regards to cards. Roles still have some balance issues, but it's fast enough and sometimes so random that it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's gonna be a good weekend

Games in my bag:

Valley of the Kings
Welcome to the Dungeon
Pocket Imperium
Mottainai
A Game of Thrones LCG
Roll for the Galaxy
Suburbia
Terra Mystica
Keyflower
Kemet
Patchwork

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xelkelvos posted:

Bang the Dice Game is better than Bang, if only because it's simpler, faster and less fiddly in regards to cards. Roles still have some balance issues, but it's fast enough and sometimes so random that it doesn't matter.

My local Magic group have combined Elder Dragon Highlander and Bang.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Jedit posted:

That sounds like one game of Exploding Kittens shy of hell.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Rad Valtar posted:

Need some thoughts on Dicetown and also Bang vs Bang The Dice Game? Couple of games my wife thinks looks interesting.

Dicetown is ok. The main draw is aggressively rolling dice around in a cup and slamming it on the table in front of you. There are 6 positions corresponding to dice face that you take based on whoever has the most of whatever face is showing for that position, in the base game the winner gets the only reward, the expansion adds an alternate reward for each position and the winner picks the reward they want with 2nd place taking the other. Ties are determined by whoever is playing the 'sheriff' with bribery being the main method of coercion. At the end of resolving each face you determine whoever has the best 'hand' and they get to pick from a selection of properties worth points. Other things are also worth points, including gold nuggets from panning/mining and certain general store cards.

It is fairly quick, but also essentially random. Every roll you may keep only one die, unless you pay a dollar per additional kept die. You may also pay a dollar to not keep any. There are outlaws that allow you to keep specific dice for free, but only once.

Really if you get it the expansion is worth getting. It's possible to not get any reward on a given round at all, in which case you get Doctor Badluck and get to pick a certain reward based off a die you rolled. The expansion chops that chance down significantly since there are twice the amount of rewards to hand out. It also adds bounties which let you cap outlaws that were already used.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 22, 2015

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Jedit posted:

That kind of sounds awesome. How much more life does the Sheriff get?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
My plans to play Dilluvia Project, Porta Nigra, and Ashes Rise of the Phoenixborn all went down the drain because the person I was to play with got sick. Sigh. Food Chain Magnate, Ships, and Burano need to be played by Saturday as well.

By the way Steampunk Rally is really really good. Amazingly good for a first effort. There are some minor rules issues, but the game play is just like what you'd imagine it to be when you take your contraption to the racetrack and race people. It's strategic with some acceptable randomness, and the drafting makes it interactive. Big thumbs up after our first two plays.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Lorini, sometimes it feels like I have never even heard of like 3/4 of the games you ever mention, it's great :sun:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'll be playing about three of those this Saturday too, Lorini. Looking forward to hearing your opinion on those.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Archenteron posted:

The original combat system was "Both players play a card, reveal them, then roll a flat d6 (maybe there was occasional rare +1 modifiers) against each other. Higher roll wins and resolves their card. Each card has 2-3 different effects/levels of damage depending on what your opponents card was"

This new setup looks signifigantly better.

Agreed. It looks like they refined the Rock-Paper-Scissors elements of 2nd edition (Punch beats Mesmerize. Mesmerize beats Dodge. Dodge beats Bite. Bite beats Punch. Etc.) and ditched the dice rolling. But now, instead of having access to his whole "deck", Dracula has a hand of three cards. So there's still some randomness to the combat, but it's the better kind you can strategize around rather than just rolling dice to see who hits who.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mister Sinewave posted:

Lorini, sometimes it feels like I have never even heard of like 3/4 of the games you ever mention, it's great :sun:

One of the nice things about this thread are the hidden gems that sometimes pop up. I probably wouldn't have taken a look at a number of my favorite games, including Theseus: The Dark Orbit, Archipelago and probably most of Vlaada's games, if someone here didn't say something about them.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I'm hoping to play Burano and Porta Nigra on Saturday, but there's gonna be a lot of people vying for seats at those tables, I think. Between Two Cities is also on my list. Prodigals Club also looks like it could be interesting.

What I'd like to avoid is getting stuck for 2+ hours learning a new game that turns out to be yet another slight variation of thinly themed point salad worker placement. Zhanguo killed that genre for me.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Agreed. It looks like they refined the Rock-Paper-Scissors elements of 2nd edition (Punch beats Mesmerize. Mesmerize beats Dodge. Dodge beats Bite. Bite beats Punch. Etc.) and ditched the dice rolling. But now, instead of having access to his whole "deck", Dracula has a hand of three cards. So there's still some randomness to the combat, but it's the better kind you can strategize around rather than just rolling dice to see who hits who.

Hand of five actually, and he draws up after playing each card. His deck is only 13 cards total--two copies each of Fangs, Claws, Strength, Mesmerize, Plotting, and Escape as Bat, plus a single Escape as Mist. So he has a very good chance of having a given card or combo in his hand on any turn.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Steampunk Rally is probably one of the most impressive "first try" games I've seen - it's not too long, it plays smoothly, and it really nails the theme. Played a couple times on the basic track, want to try the advanced track but I want a few less newbies first ;)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lorini posted:

My plans to play Dilluvia Project, Porta Nigra, and Ashes Rise of the Phoenixborn all went down the drain because the person I was to play with got sick. Sigh. Food Chain Magnate, Ships, and Burano need to be played by Saturday as well.

I took a look at Food Chain Magnate at Spiel and I wasn't overly impressed. I think it's getting hyped a lot because it's a Splotter and they're hard to come by. (I'm guilty of coveting Roads & Boats for that reason, I admit.)

Ships looked decent, but I didn't buy it because I didn't get to sit down with it and I'd already bought A Study in Emerald 2E as my Wallace.

Porta Nigra was on my "look at" list but again I never got to sit down with it, instead playing half a game of Mombasa that made me want to play a full game of it.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Played a first game of tragedy looper last night, it owns. Was a learning game with my partner so I probably made explicit a bit too much information and she won on the second loop, great game.

Question regarding the friend, is a friend being killed in itself an end-of-loop loss condition? The wording on the ability seems ambiguous as to whether it causes a loss or just reveals its role after a lost loop

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ayn Randi posted:

Question regarding the friend, is a friend being killed in itself an end-of-loop loss condition? The wording on the ability seems ambiguous as to whether it causes a loss or just reveals its role after a lost loop

It's the latter: 'at the time of loop end, reveal the role and the loop is a failure if it wasn't already'.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

I have a direct connection to The Gathering people who feed my friend and then she feeds me the games to look at :). Without my friend, I wouldn't know what to get either.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 23, 2015

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

Bang is a hidden roles games where the roles aren't really that "hidden" once you figure out how to play well, IMO. The battle lines are drawn pretty quickly and then it's mostly just a straightforward shootout where everyone follows the script. The card art adds a lot of flavor, but the cards are complicated to explain and don't really add gameplay depth as most decisions are pretty obvious. Also it's very long and that's annoying if you got knocked out early. So I guess the publishers figured there's little value lost in taking out the overcomplicated card deck and replacing it with simple dice rolls. I haven't played it but reading the rules, it looks like they did a decent job of that, and these days if I had to play either game, I'd probably go with the dice game.

I'd also recommend looking into Coup or The Resistance depending how many players you typically have if you want a game that really gets the most out of the hidden roles/bluffing concept. (Not to be confused with the new Coup: Resistance G54.)

McNerd fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 23, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
My first 1P game of Ravenloft didn't leave a favorable impression, to be honest. Most of the treasures and monsters seem sort of boring, and the game isn't that interesting. I guess it's optimized around multiplayer, and the first scenario isn't deep by design, but IDK. I'm beginning to have some buyer's remorse.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

sector_corrector posted:

My first 1P game of Ravenloft didn't leave a favorable impression, to be honest. Most of the treasures and monsters seem sort of boring, and the game isn't that interesting. I guess it's optimized around multiplayer, and the first scenario isn't deep by design, but IDK. I'm beginning to have some buyer's remorse.

I had the Legend of Drizzt D&D game and traded it to someone after playing it one time. My group and I all had a very 'meh' feeling about it after playing a couple of scenarios.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
This weekend my main gaming group is doing it's bi-annual board gaming weekend. I'm teaching Scoville, Travel Blog, Game of Thrones (board game, not card), Pictomania, and Caylus. Sadly, due to lack of interest, I had to cancel Cutthroat Caverns, Bunny Bunny Moose Moose, Ugg Tect, and Code Names. I guess people were more interested in playing Munchkin, Dead of Winter, or Xia, rather than branching out and trying new things.

I have to admit, I'm starting to get a little worn out from this group. Many of us meet every Wednesday night, but only a few of us (mostly me) bring new games. The rest of the people who bring games have about 4 or 5 that they bring every single week, and they never want to try anything different. They also have trouble with discerning what separates good and bad games. They're just as happy playing Dungeon Lords as they are playing Munchkin, because "it's just fun!". It's gotten to the point where there are almost sub-cliques of people who will only play with certain others. So each week we're playing with almost the exact same people. I'd totally be in favor of somehow mixing it up, but most of the other people are so stubborn that they'd rather not play anything if it means not being able to play a specific game with a specific group of players.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Big McHuge posted:

This weekend my main gaming group is doing it's bi-annual board gaming weekend. I'm teaching Scoville, Travel Blog, Game of Thrones (board game, not card), Pictomania, and Caylus. Sadly, due to lack of interest, I had to cancel Cutthroat Caverns, Bunny Bunny Moose Moose, Ugg Tect, and Code Names. I guess people were more interested in playing Munchkin, Dead of Winter, or Xia, rather than branching out and trying new things.

Move to Fort Collins and play with me. Getting people to play anything is like getting children to eat broccoli.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

wrath of ashardalon is the d&d adventures game I have and it's a pretty decent time as a trunctuated dungeon crawl kind of thing, the creatures and traps are more interesting than what I've seen of ravenloft

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

Move to Fort Collins and play with me. Getting people to play anything is like getting children to eat broccoli.

You're in Fort Collins? You might know Lenny Scovel, if so tell him Jennifer said hi! That place is just too cold for me otherwise I'd think of moving there :).

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Have you had a chance to play Dilluvia Project already? I'm a bit cagey on dropping $80 on a game unseen, but I need to sooner or later because of Spiel"we only print 1000 copies"worxx.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Rusty Kettle posted:

I remember when I used to have this mindset. There'd be like 10 games in front of me and I'd think uggghh, I don't want to have to learn any of these.

Sometimes you just have to shove stuff down people's throats, and hope they'll find out they like it. So yeah, the broccoli metaphor works pretty well.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Durendal posted:

Have you had a chance to play Dilluvia Project already? I'm a bit cagey on dropping $80 on a game unseen, but I need to sooner or later because of Spiel"we only print 1000 copies"worxx.

Here's what my connoisseur friend had to say about Dilluvia Project:

quote:

played a 4 player game, really meaty game. May be my favorite of this year. Keeping.

This lady has played Marco Polo over a dozen times already and she's saying Dilluvia Project could be better than that?! I paid a fortune for it, but I'm assuming it's good. It got axed due to sickness and especially if Food Chain Magnate shows up tomorrow, it probably won't get played til Saturday.

I'll have notes on everything, keeping in mind you can tell what I'm playing by following @jensgamingpics on Twitter. I tweet all games played.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Lorini posted:

You're in Fort Collins? You might know Lenny Scovel, if so tell him Jennifer said hi! That place is just too cold for me otherwise I'd think of moving there :).

You'll get used to the temperature!

I don't know Lenny, but I'll be bringing lots of neglected games to the Extra Life event at Haunted Game Cafe. If I see him, I'll say hi.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

You'll get used to the temperature!

I don't know Lenny, but I'll be bringing lots of neglected games to the Extra Life event at Haunted Game Cafe. If I see him, I'll say hi.

He'll be there! A nice looking guy with a lot of gray hair. He has a nice group that plays Euros, maybe you can hook up with them.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Lorini posted:

Here's what my connoisseur friend had to say about Dilluvia Project:

This lady has played Marco Polo over a dozen times already and she's saying Dilluvia Project could be better than that?! I paid a fortune for it, but I'm assuming it's good. It got axed due to sickness and especially if Food Chain Magnate shows up tomorrow, it probably won't get played til Saturday.

I'll have notes on everything, keeping in mind you can tell what I'm playing by following @jensgamingpics on Twitter. I tweet all games played.

Fuuuuuuck :shepspends:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Terra Mystica vs AI in your browser;

http://lodev.org/tmai/

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Won my first game of Terra Mystica as the Engineers. Granted, there was a new player, but I'll take anything I can get with that game.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Boz0r posted:

Is Zombicide any good?

im permabanned poster zombiestomper58. i first started reading board game thread when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "fun" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "mindbendingly difficult" and "it's just fun" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "fun" style of board games was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" fun to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Durendal posted:

Fuuuuuuck :shepspends:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat now. Trying to figure out if I can justify getting that...

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lichtenstein posted:

im permabanned poster zombiestomper58. i first started reading board game thread when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "fun" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "mindbendingly difficult" and "it's just fun" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "fun" style of board games was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" fun to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

:master:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lichtenstein posted:

hoooooly poo poo

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A BOARD GAME ONTO THE TABLE. ITS COSMIC ENCOUNTER AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START SETTING UP FOR FIVE PLAYERS SOLO. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME SAUCER BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP STRATEGIES. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY INVADED THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS PLANET. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE RACES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY PLAYING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Going to play base Kemet with 5 tonight. I think that the preferred "variant" is that players decide their turn order, on inverse VP order, instead of the last player deciding everything, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say

Oh, so you think fun is your ally? But you merely adopted the fun. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn’t play Cosmic Encounter until I was already a man, by then to me it was only mediocre. Fun betrays you because it belongs to me.