Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Parahexavoctal posted:

You should read the Loony Leo issue of Astro City.

How about The Coyote Gospel issue of Animal Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Looney Leo worked a bit better, although both are excellent

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

"BUZZ loving BUNNY, BITCH! IT'S loving EXTREME!!"

Excuse me, that's clearly Ace Bunny, he does it all for the kids.

All those happy boys...

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Uthor posted:

How about The Coyote Gospel issue of Animal Man.

quote:

Many theologians see the Holocaust as the beginning of a theological practice called “theodicy.”

:psyduck:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Parahexavoctal posted:

You should read the Loony Leo issue of Astro City.

"It was then that I discovered an advantage to being a cartoon character, one I'd never thought of before.

Maybe you get hungry... but you don't need to eat. Not really.

Freeze in the rain... sleep in the cold... walk this country from one end to the other... you won't die."

And this was, of course, after the dead, underaged prostitute was found in his hotel room.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Senior Woodchuck posted:

And this was, of course, after the dead, underaged prostitute was found in his hotel room.
Hey, he was never convicted of anything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

I really think Kingdom Come Batman is my favorite incarnation of Batman. There's a lot to love about him, mainly in that he's finally embraced what he is and it's made him more upbeat. I also like how the whole "Batman doesn't kill!" thing is played with, not in the sense that he's killed bad guys, but in that he's become disturbingly and realistically complacent with murder happening around him. Someone blew up Arkham? Oh well, what are you going to do?

Then Superman gets through to him while desperately pleading.

I was so jazzed to see them do that final bit in Dark Knight Rises.

While I'm at it, from Kingdom Come #3, Martian Manhunter's sad state.

:smith:

One of the few great moments in Kingdom is when KC Batman meets his younger self and is all, "Kid, stop acting like an rear end in a top hat. You're not impressing anyone."

I miss 1996 Mark Waid. Before he got hosed over by his girlfriend and becamse bitter and jaded. Sure he still writes great comics but he used to write magical comics.

This is always my go-to for people who say Superman and Batman should kill because gently caress THAT, Superman and Batman do not loving kill.

redbackground posted:

The Kingdom Come Companion! I've been keeping an eye out for a physical copy for a long time without paying a whole lot for it. DC had the book pulled almost immediately so it's also a rarer find.

Anyone even slightly interested in KC should get that. A lot of it was printed in the Absolute KC HC but owning the Comicsology Companion makes the book so much more enjoyable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fwiw he seems to be very happy in his current relationship.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

I really think Kingdom Come Batman is my favorite incarnation of Batman. There's a lot to love about him, mainly in that he's finally embraced what he is and it's made him more upbeat. I also like how the whole "Batman doesn't kill!" thing is played with, not in the sense that he's killed bad guys, but in that he's become disturbingly and realistically complacent with murder happening around him. Someone blew up Arkham? Oh well, what are you going to do?

Then Superman gets through to him while desperately pleading.

I was so jazzed to see them do that final bit in Dark Knight Rises.

While I'm at it, from Kingdom Come #3, Martian Manhunter's sad state.

:smith:

One of the few great moments in Kingdom is when KC Batman meets his younger self and is all, "Kid, stop acting like an rear end in a top hat. You're not impressing anyone."

That panel with J'onn broke my loving heart when I read KC for the first time. And I liked Batman showing some goddamn compassion to him.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That panel with J'onn broke my loving heart when I read KC for the first time. And I liked Batman showing some goddamn compassion to him.

yeah, it's a really neat touch seeing him be gentle with someone who actively needs it.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i understand the message of KC but i still think that there is literally nothing wrong or immoral about killing people like Joker

though i'm not going to throw a tantrum about Batman not doing that

it's would be completely against his character

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

RottenK posted:

i understand the message of KC but i still think that there is literally nothing wrong or immoral about killing people like Joker

though i'm not going to throw a tantrum about Batman not doing that

it's would be completely against his character

Superman would have been fine if he was sentenced to death by a court. His problem was taking the law into their own hands.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Killing Joker to stop him from killing someone else or enacting some kinda evil plan is what law enforcement would do, but murdering a guy in handcuffs is another beast altogether.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It's kind of hilarious how much the cops in comic books put up with when you consider how murder-happy they are in real life.

Wait, no, not hilarious. Really really sad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's why Spider-man cops are the most realistic to me. They just shoot at the hero all the time, no questions asked.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Lurdiak posted:

That's why Spider-man cops are the most realistic to me. They just shoot at the hero all the time, no questions asked.

To be fair, who wouldn't shoot at a gigantic red and blue spider?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He's a menace! That nice moustached man on the news says so!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

FMguru posted:

Hey, he was never convicted of anything.

Well, no. She OD'd.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Fwiw he seems to be very happy in his current relationship.

Maybe. His attitude doesn't seem very upbeat these days. It's hilarious that he denies the "Can we have the real Superman back" story that Byrne tells but then Man of Steel comes out and he won't shut the gently caress up about "NOT MY SUPERMAN."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Maybe. His attitude doesn't seem very upbeat these days. It's hilarious that he denies the "Can we have the real Superman back" story that Byrne tells but then Man of Steel comes out and he won't shut the gently caress up about "NOT MY SUPERMAN."

If I remember correctly it's the killing that pisses him off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

That was his focus yes but as I and many pointed out, Superman has killed in the comics when his hand was forced. And it lead to some amazing storytelling afterwards.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Which is super-upsetting because of all the reasons to dislike MoS the killing is waaaaaaaaaay down the list and acts like a lightning rod for people who want to dismiss any other criticism.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Please let's not derail this thread with MoS

Anyway, let's have a glimpse into Spider-Man's psyche. Spider-Man and the X-men #4

It is so, so, so good. It's made me willing to pick up Spidey comics again. It's like Sister Act in Spandex. And it also sends up the X-men for being terrible as a school (which they are). It's really uplifting and fun. Comics rock. You should read these comics.

(e:Just realised it's probably a homage to #1 of Morrison's run on JLA)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just when you thought Glob Herman couldn't get any better!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Spidey's webs seem to have held up just as well as Glob...

Milotic posted:

It's made me willing to pick up Spidey comics again.

Resist the urge...

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Uthor posted:

Resist the urge...

I've dipped my toe into one where he seems to be running a startup, with a Black Cat backup storyline. And it seems he was dating a really, really short woman, and I can't work out if it's art, or she's a dwarf. It's pretty fun though.

Amazing Spider-Man #17 2014. It kind of has this Saturday morning cartoon vibe to it, where there's a not-quite-evil coworker who wants to sabotage Peter's ideas.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Maybe it's just more editing, but the new Amazing volume is actually pretty good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wiegieman posted:

Maybe it's just more editing, but the new Amazing volume is actually pretty good.

Maybe Slott is back on whatever meds he was on when he wrote the Spider-man Human Torch mini-series.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Did the Kingdom Come conversation continue anywhere else? I was really enjoying that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Milotic posted:

I've dipped my toe into one where he seems to be running a startup, with a Black Cat backup storyline. And it seems he was dating a really, really short woman, and I can't work out if it's art, or she's a dwarf. It's pretty fun though.

She's a dwarf. And they're not dating. She was dating "Peter" when it was really Doc Ock in Peter's body. When Peter got his body back, they, obviously, broke up. But they are still working together and, last I read, trying to making it seem like a normal breakup to others (and not a "my fiance was really a super villain is Spider-Man's body and now Spider-Man is back and a different person" breakup). Peter also needs her because she's one of the few people who know what happened, so she can fill him in on things like, oh, why he owns a company now and who all his employees are and what they actually do there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Unmature posted:

Did the Kingdom Come conversation continue anywhere else? I was really enjoying that.

Just continue it here, I have the Absolute and that companion book here on my desk so I'm prepared.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Uthor posted:

She's a dwarf. And they're not dating. She was dating "Peter" when it was really Doc Ock in Peter's body. When Peter got his body back, they, obviously, broke up. But they are still working together and, last I read, trying to making it seem like a normal breakup to others (and not a "my fiance was really a super villain is Spider-Man's body and now Spider-Man is back and a different person" breakup). Peter also needs her because she's one of the few people who know what happened, so she can fill him in on things like, oh, why he owns a company now and who all his employees are and what they actually do there.
That must have been an awkward conversation.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Uthor posted:

Peter also needs her because she's one of the few people who know what happened, so she can fill him in on things like, oh, why he owns a company now and who all his employees are and what they actually do there.

You know, I love how they wrote this big, convoluted storyline in order to retcon away Peter and MJ's marriage so that Spider-Man would be "more relateable to the reader" and then within ten years of that, he's the head of a multinational corporation.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Fuego Fish posted:

You know, I love how they wrote this big, convoluted storyline in order to retcon away Peter and MJ's marriage so that Spider-Man would be "more relateable to the reader" and then within ten years of that, he's the head of a multinational corporation.

Judging by the panels above (I haven't read the comics) there was also a period of time where his body was taken over by the mind of one of his enemies and that is why he can't date that woman. I can totally relate.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fuego Fish posted:

I think after the MCU really started to take off and BND/ASM failed to set the world on fire Quesada's attention went elsewhere and signed off on whatever. Expect huge rubberbanding by the time the MCU Spidey is underway.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Kingdom Come is still one of my favorite comics, although over the years I've come to loathe how they resolved the plot by just killing off 99% of the metahuman population, just feels lazy to me, not to mention makes the whole "Resolving The Tensions Between Metahuman and Normal Humans" aspect of the ending feel really hollow, cause that becomes pretty easy to resolve when there's only about a dozen of them left

I may be misremembering but I think the way Kingdom Come ended was a compromise between Waid's intended ending and Alex Ross's intended ending, which were completely incompatible with one another, so we got neither.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
do you remember what those endings were? I'd be interested.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Judging by the panels above (I haven't read the comics) there was also a period of time where his body was taken over by the mind of one of his enemies and that is why he can't date that woman. I can totally relate.

It gets even better when you see pictures of Dan Slott alongside panels of Doc Ock. Totally not a self insert there Dan!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Fuego Fish posted:

I want to dunk Joe Quesada's head into a toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It gets even better when you see pictures of Dan Slott alongside panels of Doc Ock. Totally not a self insert there Dan!

Tbf literally any fat, white, brown-haired dude can make a good Doc Ock.