Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

SO DEMANDING posted:

nah they'll just call it cleartype

and the displays will be rebranded "lumia"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Wheany posted:

and the displays will be rebranded "lumia"

they're going to call the displays windows and the backlight lumia

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

windows pho sales down 54% in one quarter [from not many to barely any]

quote:

Despite being an overall strong first quarter for Microsoft, its mobile side is still hurting. Phone sales fell 54 percent over the last few months, "reflecting our updated strategy," the company announced in its earnings report. It's not hard to see why, though: Microsoft basically didn't have much to sell over the past few months. Its flagship Windows 10 phones, the Lumia 950 and 950 XL, were only announced this month, after the quarter ended. All it was left with over the summer was mid-range and low-end phones, which weren't exactly enticing in the face of an onslaught of new smartphones throughout 2015. At least there's nowhere to go but up for Microsoft's phones now (we hope).
I wonder if Joe Bellfiore is ever going to return from his boating sabbatical

e: also surface is tanking

quote:

While Surface revenue had been climbing quickly over the past year, it's now fallen to $672 million, down from $908 million in the same quarter of 2015.

qirex fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 22, 2015

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

$2.5b on minecraft

$1.8b of that was goodwill

they expect the $928m in intangible assets to break even in 6.3 years

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Phone sales fell 54 percent over the last few months, "reflecting our updated strategy," the company announced in its earnings report.

checks out

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

qirex posted:

windows pho sales down 54% in one quarter [from not many to barely any]

that's because finns no longer feel an obligation to buy windows phones after the 120 days of severance

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pinterest Mom posted:

Phone sales fell 54 percent over the last few months, "reflecting our updated strategy," the company announced in its earnings report.

checks out

*tents fingers, overlooks warehouse full of boxes*

yesssssssssssssssss

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

what if the producers was about cell phones

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shaggar posted:

also they don't do tpm for some weird reason

because they actually sell products in russia and china

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yay cloud :yaycloud:

quote:

Halo 5: Guardians is a massive game in terms of its hard drive footprint, so it helps that people who pre-ordered a digital copy from the Xbox Games Store can download the title ahead of time. But developer 343 Industries warned recently that some pre-order customers may have unknowingly downloaded an "incorrect stub file" instead of the actual game.

The issue applies to some individuals who pre-ordered Halo 5 before Sept. 21 and who have disabled their Xbox One's "Instant On" power mode (aka the mode that supports Kinect's "Xbox on" voice command). Those who pre-ordered on or after Sept. 21 should be good to go. 343 Industries said the issue should only affect "a small number of players."

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

qirex posted:

what if the producers was about cell phones

bingtime for Nadella in Finland

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
don't ever pre-order video games

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lone_Strider posted:

winter for Belfiore and notch

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stymie posted:

apple is creating the ipad maxi based off of microsoft surface advertising, who's cargo culting who?

apple tkaking another companys idea andn then doing it better is basically what they do. microsoft is creating bizarre stuff like the surfacebook and windowsphone

duTrieux. posted:

sure, if you're an idiot.

'i want to draw something! let me first remove all tactile information and control over the thing i'm drawing and then simulate it again in software"

lol go back 2 the 1800s grandpa

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

checks out

lmao so funny

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

qirex posted:

*clicks why am I seeing this*
"our research indicates you're a giant manababy nerdlinger who likes to pretend to shoot people so enjoy the adventures of locke because we know you've got nothing else going on loser"

you moderated games

Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

angry_keebler posted:

actually they'd probably be called microsoft™ surface™ flush mount surface-technology™ ultra low profile four point interface keyboard keys for microsoft™ surface™ portable computer devices

with Bing!

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

lol players have to fix it themselves

queue everyone not seeing

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

don't ever pre-order video games

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

can the Xbox One patch DLC yet or is it still like the 360?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
also acceptable

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

qirex posted:

it must be very humbling for them to admit to the world that only "a small number of players" were interested enough in halo 5 to have pre-ordered it on day one

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

carry on then posted:

they're going to call the displays windows and the backlight lumia

the keyboard lights will be branded Halo :angel:
outlook's calendar functionality will be given the minimalist name "365"
satya will legally change his name to robert and refer to himself as "Microsoft Bob"
microsoft will buy the OED and officially rebrand anal sex as "binging up the rear end"

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

microsoft will buy the OED and officially rebrand anal sex as "binging up the rear end"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

theultimo posted:

Windows 10: native advertising

this is the funniest thread in yospos

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

fart simpson posted:

this is the funniest thread in yospos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3SxEOvAOEg

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
got this as a recommended video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kdbH40abnY

would recommend again

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

got this as a recommended video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kdbH40abnY

would recommend again

same and also same

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Lone_Strider posted:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

my company is entering brave new worlds and is now letting us run office versions that are only several years out of date, so we just got office 365 / 2013 or whatever

omg its the most ugly garbage thing I've ever used. i mean some of the bugs that annoyed me are gone but it looks like a linux. on my desktop. it's 2015 and the world isn't ready.

sorry if this has been covered in detail for the last 3 years.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Does Outlook 2016 still make it almost impossible to reply inline? I have Outlook 2011 and I need to reformat to plain text, reformat back to HTML, then manually ident the original mail. It's awesome.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

MrMoo posted:

Does Outlook 2016 still make it almost impossible to reply inline? I have Outlook 2011 and I need to reformat to plain text, reformat back to HTML, then manually ident the original mail. It's awesome.

Yes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you want a dive into the mind of the windows phone fanboy check out the comments here
http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/23/9602350/microsoft-windows-phone-app-removal-windows-store

I think the funniest part is people complaining that the verge has an anti microsoft bias

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

qirex posted:

I think the funniest part is people complaining that the verge has an anti microsoft bias

:psyduck: :psypop: :psyboom:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

So you’ve justified your "dead horse" characterization with your own, specific use case. Great. No one’s forcing you to buy a Surface, or even watch video reviews of them.

Are we to assume you’re oblivious to the fact that other people exist, and those people might just have a different use case than yours? To me and my usage, a MacBook Air is a dead horse, but I would never be so arrogant to publicly claim that the system is a dead horse simply because it didn’t fit my workflow.

Personally, I purchased a Surface Pro 2, and it’s been the best mobile system I’ve ever purchased, by far, and the 3 and now 4 have only improved on that. It fits my workflow perfectly, so while it may be a dead horse to you, it most certainly isn’t to me.

Try not to be so narcissistic. There’s an entire world outside your little bubble.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
fits m'workflow

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

All the apps I use on my Android are available through a web browser so IMHO most standard users can get by without dedicated apps. Plus Microsoft has come up with some great tools to help DEVS port their apps from iOS and Android so hopefully that gets things going for the rest. I’m definitely switching from Android to WP10 and the new Lumia 950 on release. So many useless apps in the iOS and Android ecosystems that its no wonder they can boast 200,000+ apps! :p

Maybe in the near future we’ll see a Windows Phone with full blown Windows 10 OS on an x86 Intel processor. Having a full portable PC in my pocket with a docking for CONTINUUM at home and work would be insane! No need for an APP store! ;) Not sure why it doesn’t already exist since I have a small PC stick running Windows 10. Slap a SIM card and screen on it and we’re good to go.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

These articles clearly feed the cycle…

…and the ignorance revolving around the ecosystem.

The authors are never devs for crying out loud — they’re hardware techies, not programmers.

Were they to recognize the colossal paradigm shift in a universal OS across devices — with one universal base — they wouldn’t dismiss the uniting of Windows Phone and Windows as:

"…unlikely to make any difference to the fate of Windows Phone overall. It’s another reset, and Microsoft can’t keep hitting the reboot button forever."

Windows Phone 10 isn’t even out yet — the most powerful mobile OS in existence — and they have the gumption to say it’s "just another reset"…

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

qirex posted:

All the apps I use on my Android are available through a web browser so IMHO most standard users can get by without dedicated apps. Plus Microsoft has come up with some great tools to help DEVS port their apps from iOS and Android so hopefully that gets things going for the rest. I’m definitely switching from Android to WP10 and the new Lumia 950 on release. So many useless apps in the iOS and Android ecosystems that its no wonder they can boast 200,000+ apps! :p

Maybe in the near future we’ll see a Windows Phone with full blown Windows 10 OS on an x86 Intel processor. Having a full portable PC in my pocket with a docking for CONTINUUM at home and work would be insane! No need for an APP store! ;) Not sure why it doesn’t already exist since I have a small PC stick running Windows 10. Slap a SIM card and screen on it and we’re good to go.

This was me until I tried a useful app that is missing or useless in windows mobile. gently caress em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I can’t believe how often tech writers do Apple’s bidding by using their "Wizard of Oz" (the fundamental need for pop-apps) to kick fledgeling OSs. The truth of the matter is: people use relatively few apps, and want occasional access to a few more. Most people are not put off by x or y app not being available. Indeed, most people want a phone to make calls and send/receive texts, do a bit of e-mailing, listen to music and take photos. What’s truly shocking is the amount of redundency in most people’s devices.

I’m not a Microsoft supporter, but I am in favour of choice in the marketplace.

So there’s a hiatus in Microstoft’s app portfolio! Could that be anything to do with the rolling out of Windows 10, and app builders being reluctant to re-building their apps over and over again? So Microsoft hadn’t got their medium to long-term plan clearly sorted, but Universal Apps on Windows 10 will be a huge plus, when it arrives. Perhaps Apple should be worried about continuum.

Microsoft have huge resources. And they know they have to be in the mobile market as PC (and tablet) sales continue to drop. Anyone think that given the coding skills they’ve got, they’re not going to make it?

• Locked thread