Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

Also in pop cover news: Bleachers released a free album on Google Play of covers from their album. Carly Rae Jepsen, Sia, and Charli XCX and Sara Barielles are among the artists with a song on it, which proves once again that Jack Antonoff has excellent taste in pop music.

I really really liked Fun.'s album, but Jack Antonoff and Nate Ruess's solo work has blown it out of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

Let's consult the lyrics!

I'm gonna go with yes.

Also in pop cover news: Bleachers released a free album on Google Play of covers from their album. Carly Rae Jepsen, Sia, and Charli XCX and Sara Barielles are among the artists with a song on it, which proves once again that Jack Antonoff has excellent taste in pop music.

This. Dude is awesome. I ran into him before his and Charli's show a few months back and he immediately recognized my shirt and knew who Elliphant was. I was so excited for both reasons.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Superrodan posted:

What do you think of their new album? I think it's right about average with a few tracks that are good and a lot of tracks that are forgettable. This is probably my favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ-OOSsH-e0

Holy poo poo, I thought Butterfly had been their last work together. Thanks for letting me know there's a new album, I'm really liking this song

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

I am helping Carly Rae Jepsen's failure of a marketing team by buying tickets to see her in November.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 30, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

interpunct posted:

I am helping Carly Rae Jepsen's failure of a marketing team by buying tickets to see her in November.

do you have a presale code :pray:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

abraham linksys posted:

Umm... I don't think one will be necessary.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

abraham linksys posted:

The Modern Leper posted:

Umm... I don't think one will be necessary.

Pretty much. But if you're dying to spend $35 (or $100 on a VIP Meet and Greet) RIGHT NOW, it's fahlocarly

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Anyone listened to Janet Jackson's new album?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Rollofthedice posted:

Anyone listened to Janet Jackson's new album?

It's quite good! Though I think I might just be too excited that she's back to judge it objectively. Ask me again in a week or two.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

The CHVRCHES album is also pretty good. I really like 'Never Ending Circles', 'Leave A Trace', 'Clearest Blue', 'High Enough To Carry You Over', 'Empty Threat' and 'Afterglow'.

I guess some people might say that they ~haven't evolved~ but I bet the same people would say that they ruined it if they had.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Sprat Sandwich posted:

The CHVRCHES album is also pretty good. I really like 'Never Ending Circles', 'Leave A Trace', 'Clearest Blue', 'High Enough To Carry You Over', 'Empty Threat' and 'Afterglow'.

I guess some people might say that they ~haven't evolved~ but I bet the same people would say that they ruined it if they had.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. They've got a very specific sound but I love it, and if anything they've honed it to perfection. I love CHVRCHES.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

interpunct posted:

Pretty much. But if you're dying to spend $35 (or $100 on a VIP Meet and Greet) RIGHT NOW, it's fahlocarly

Did you get an extra ticket, by any chance? I missed the presale and it's sold out now. I don't want to drop $65 on an aftermarket ticket :(

Y'all loving crazy for thinking that CRJ wouldn't sell out a 1000-capacity venue in NYC, by the way. I know she's mismanaged, but she's not that mismanaged. Hopefully her star continues to plummet and I'll be able to pick something up cheap on StubHub day-of, I guess.

e: cheapest is $60 on StubHub after fees; wasn't it $35 after fees originally. argghhhh

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 3, 2015

FlowerPattern
Aug 10, 2015

PUGGERNAUT posted:

It's quite good! Though I think I might just be too excited that she's back to judge it objectively. Ask me again in a week or two.

Janet Jackson released a new album and the first place I'm hearing this is on SA's Pop Music Thread? WTF! I'm gonna go check that out now.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
There are parts on the new Janet Jackson album where she just sounds eerily like Michael. More than ever before. It's really strange.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Iowa Snow King posted:

So is this Hailee Steinfeld song really about masturbation or what?

For a minute, I thought you meant the girl from True Grit, and I was like :stonk:

and then I googled it, and actually yeah, it is the girl from True Grit. So uh, yeah. That's a thing.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Sprat Sandwich posted:

There are so many moments where I think it's going to turn into a Taylor Swift 1989 song, like "Blank Space" or "Out of the Woods" or "Style" especially. So, this is probably the right thread for this album.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
The new Metric album came out the same day as chrvches and it's very good too. Would be a shame to see it get lost in the mix, Cascades and The Shade are both great pop songs.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

e: wrong thread; thought this was the indie thread because the new CHVRCHES and Metric were also discussed there :v:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Charli XCX and Sophie just did a track together and I think it sounds great: https://soundcloud.com/rrobinl/charli-xcx-vroom-vroom-wfixed-introoutro

apparently her next album is inspired by PC Music so I really excited in hearing where she goes from here

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 21, 2015

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

HorseRenoir posted:

Charli XCX and Sophie just did a track together and I think it sounds great: https://soundcloud.com/aquaphor/charli-xcx-vroom-vroom-beats-1-premiere

I thought you meant Sophie Ellis Bextor for a second and I got really, really excited.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I thought you meant Sophie Ellis Bextor for a second and I got really, really excited.

I thought the same thing. My disappointment is so much higher than my excitement for a new Charli song.

I'm surprised no one's been talking about the new Selena and Demi albums honestly. I've found both uneven but some real solid songs on both. In the long run, Demi's is a most complete album imo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why does nobody seem to do live albums any more? Used to be everyone had a live album, even if it was an MTV Unplugged one. Is it because of YouTube?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Dunno if this is the right thread but my dudes new video and song are fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh7BCluk3wc

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Why does nobody seem to do live albums any more? Used to be everyone had a live album, even if it was an MTV Unplugged one. Is it because of YouTube?

It's because everyone sounds like poo poo live.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Wheat Loaf posted:

Probably two main reasons.

1. Live shows are one of the only ways artists can make real money these days since records don't sell nearly the same as they used to, and live albums could cannibalize those profits. It's much more lucrative to keep the live shows a dynamic, one-time experience to boost ticket sales.

2. Lots of pop artists can't back up their recording sound on a live stage. This isn't even much of a knock on them in my opinion. Stadiums aren't designed to sound good, tour schedules don't revolve around a singer's health, etc.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's hard enough to get people to buy studio albums. Live albums are probably seen as an even bigger risk, despite the lower production cost. I could see them making a comeback as a digital-only product, but live CDs are probably dead for the most part.
Videos are much more likely. And you do still see those sometimes.

(I know a few years ago there was a growing trend of providing a live recording of a concert as a bonus for people who attended the concert, but I don't know if that ever took off.)

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

BIEBERVELLI BYKE BITCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRh_vgS2dFE

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/includedbieber/status/657302423137099776

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

So last night's South Park had Demi Lovato on it. They were using her as the strawman against fat shaming.

Demi Lovato, who's vocally outspoken about her struggles with her body image and eating disorders and self-harm.

Good job South Park, you really pick the right people to take down a peg.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sprat Sandwich posted:

It's because everyone sounds like poo poo live.

Haha, fair enough. :D

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

FIYAAAAAA!!!

Song is actual crack. Buggati Biebs is the best all around musician alive.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

PUGGERNAUT posted:

So last night's South Park had Demi Lovato on it. They were using her as the strawman against fat shaming.

Demi Lovato, who's vocally outspoken about her struggles with her body image and eating disorders and self-harm.

Good job South Park, you really pick the right people to take down a peg.

Yeah, after knocking it out of the park for the most part with the other episodes, I really felt this one fell super flat. It just showed a supreme lack of any kind of even cursory research on the subject of the attack and made the whole episode worse as a whole.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

No one is talking about Adele's new song?

I like it, her voice sounds very clear and beautiful. It's not as catchy as some of her other singles but it's nice to see her back. I wonder how well it'll do on the radio, obviously it's going to sell very well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

somnambulist posted:

No one is talking about Adele's new song?

I like it, her voice sounds very clear and beautiful. It's not as catchy as some of her other singles but it's nice to see her back. I wonder how well it'll do on the radio, obviously it's going to sell very well.
Her voice is still as powerful as ever but I didn't really care for the song itself.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

RevKrule posted:

Yeah, after knocking it out of the park for the most part with the other episodes, I really felt this one fell super flat. It just showed a supreme lack of any kind of even cursory research on the subject of the attack and made the whole episode worse as a whole.

This is South Park.... surely your first thought was that they did it on purpose. Perhaps you need your own #safespace where South Park can't hurt you.

Aredna fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 24, 2015

bubblebee
Jan 6, 2014
Does Mariana's Trench count as pop music?

Their new album just came out a few days ago.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Not really

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I got E-Mo-Tion on Vinyl a few days ago, and during my first listen, it's like a revelation all over again. I don't know if it's my record player or the disc, but it sounds like everything is playing at about 5 BPM slower, and it really amps up the 80s level. Also it means there's more of it, even if there aren't any bonus songs on the record.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

bubblebee posted:

Does Mariana's Trench count as pop music?

Their new album just came out a few days ago.

They count as horrific garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking earlier that I'm disappointed saxophone solos didn't make the comeback projected by "The Edge of Glory" and "Last Friday Night".