Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

McGavin posted:

Who holds the titles to the counties now? I'm pretty sure that counties always have a capital holding, even if it is a temple or a city.
I kept them, apparently.

For example:
I control the County of Fyn, which has no county capitol,

and is a de jure part of the Republic of Sjaelland,

but whose baronies are de facto vassals of Sjaelland.

Like I said, I'm not sure if it's a problem for non-nomadic vassals, but I've definitely gotten a shitload of counties that don't have any capital, just three or four holdings that belong to me/my new vassal barons.

ETA: It also happens with kingdoms; I gave one of my vassal clans the Khanate of Norway, including all lower titles, but I wound up keeping all but one of the counties. Also, apologies for the haphazard power-distribution, but I don't much give a poo poo about anything smaller than a kingdom at this point.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ok, that's a nomad issue, so I'm out of my depth. You could try giving the county titles to the barons and then using "transfer vassal" to give them to their proper lieges.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 22, 2015

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

McGavin posted:

Ok, that's a nomad issue, so I'm out of my depth. You could try giving the county titles to the barons and then using "transfer vassal" to give them to their proper lieges.
Except the problem is that I can't give the County of Fyn to anybody, except one of my nomadic vassals, or any of the other counties thus affected. Seriously, at one point I couldn't give a non-nomadic vassal any counties at all.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
If I'm understanding correctly, I think the problem is that you have the county title because you own the empty holding slots. However non-nomads can't own empty holding slots like that, they need an actual holding in the county in order to hold the county title, and you don't have one to give them. So you have to either right click one of the holdings and set it to the county capital, (which might automatically give them the whole county I think? I can't remember) or maybe you can just directly grant one of those barons the county title to elevate them, and then transfer vassalage? Although either way, you're giving away the county which means you have to forfeit those grazing lands, just so you know

mottbag
Nov 11, 2009
Okay, got a problem. I just conquered a territory with a city as its main holding. As a feudal lord I had wrong holding type, but couldn't make the castle as the main holding... SO I gave the county and all lower titles to a dude in my realm, however the city and the bishopric continue to display wrong holding type. What's the deal?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

mottbag posted:

Okay, got a problem. I just conquered a territory with a city as its main holding. As a feudal lord I had wrong holding type, but couldn't make the castle as the main holding... SO I gave the county and all lower titles to a dude in my realm, however the city and the bishopric continue to display wrong holding type. What's the deal?

They're his problem now. Sooner or later he'll get around to creating proper vassals for them.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

super fart shooter posted:

If I'm understanding correctly, I think the problem is that you have the county title because you own the empty holding slots. However non-nomads can't own empty holding slots like that, they need an actual holding in the county in order to hold the county title, and you don't have one to give them. So you have to either right click one of the holdings and set it to the county capital, (which might automatically give them the whole county I think? I can't remember) or maybe you can just directly grant one of those barons the county title to elevate them, and then transfer vassalage? Although either way, you're giving away the county which means you have to forfeit those grazing lands, just so you know
Neither of those works, unfortunately; AFAIK I can only set a holding that I own as county capital, and I can't just give one of those barons the county because I can't just give ANYONE the county. My only option is to obtain one of those holdings so I can set it to the capital, which is difficult if they're held by vassals of my vassals, or I can just give the county to a vassal clan and let them hash it out. And I am totally OK with losing grazing land, since that just means I have to choose which empire I'm going to invade this time. :black101:

ETA: Actually, it looks like just building another holding in that county will cause the game to recalculate or something and the county to grow a new capital/holder, which I can then pass along in the usual fashion. Sometimes, at least, and it requires me to be able to build a temple holding, which is not always possible and takes a long drat time.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 22, 2015

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Yeah, I played around with it a bit. By default, nomads always have an empty slot set as the county capital, unless there are no empty slots, in which case it just works like normal. If you own one of the holdings you can still right click and set it as the capital, and you can also build a temple and make that the capital.

I think you're right though, there's no way to give away the county if you don't have a holding, at least not that I could figure out. I guess I never realized it before because I usually tyrannize the poo poo out of my non-nomad vassals and I wouldn't let a little thing like de jure complaints bother me. After all, their opinions don't affect their taxes or levies at all, and if you're not powerful enough to crush their rebellions effortlessly then imo you're playing nomads wrong :P

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Holding empty counties doesn't count towards your demesne limit though, so it's not the end of the world to keep them until an actual holding is built.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Question about Empire succession politics:

If I create a kingdom under an empire, re: Kingdom of Sicily under Byzantine, does the Emperor have the authority to change my succession laws? Versus given a kingdom as a viceroyalty?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

scaterry posted:

Question about Empire succession politics:

If I create a kingdom under an empire, re: Kingdom of Sicily under Byzantine, does the Emperor have the authority to change my succession laws? Versus given a kingdom as a viceroyalty?

If you created a title Emperor can do nothing about it, if he created it and gave it to you as viceroyalty it'll always return to him on succession(well maybe not if you get independence). He probably could revoke it without tyranny because of imperial administration and grant it as viceroyalty, but AI doesn't really engage in such dickery.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

super fart shooter posted:

I think you're right though, there's no way to give away the county if you don't have a holding, at least not that I could figure out. I guess I never realized it before because I usually tyrannize the poo poo out of my non-nomad vassals and I wouldn't let a little thing like de jure complaints bother me. After all, their opinions don't affect their taxes or levies at all, and if you're not powerful enough to crush their rebellions effortlessly then imo you're playing nomads wrong :P
Fair enough, I just try not to be too tyrannical a ruler to anybody, apart from that whole "invade your kingdom, pillage your village, and seize your nubile virgins" business. No, this might very well be me Doing It Wrong, but I'm putting a lot more power in the hands of my non-nomadic vassals, since I can just crush any rebellion they put up, and it gives my non-heir children another way to be useful and generate prestige and soldiers for me. Plus, the idea of having a super-powerful vassal Jewish High Priesthood on my side has some major appeal.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Hey, seriously thinking about investing into CK2, but I am not sure what is a "must-have" DLC. Any advise?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I have a Merchant Republic Empire. I've just wrested control via Holy War of a Kingdom away from its traditional Christian owners and now I'd like to grant this as a vassal Kingdom to a relative I like who is currently a feudal Duke of the primary de jure Duchy of that Kingdom.

If I do this, it will inherit the succession laws that I have, won't it? The Seniority succession of Merchant Republics will come down, and some random idiot I don't want to own it will get it when they die, instead of one of the kids of the relative that I like.

Is there any way for that vassal Kingdom to get even freaking Gavelkind succession when I grant it? Can the relative I like, currently a duke, have any chance of creating that title if I don't create it?

Any advice would be great.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Captain Gordon posted:

Hey, seriously thinking about investing into CK2, but I am not sure what is a "must-have" DLC. Any advise?

Way of Life, Old Gods, Legacy of Rome.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I kind of feel like I'm not "getting" retinues. They seem super expensive and time consuming to make, and after like, one major battle the upkeep to replenish them gets so high that it almost seems like I have to disband it all and start over again. Are they mainly for when you are ridiculously wealthy?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Chexoid posted:

I kind of feel like I'm not "getting" retinues. They seem super expensive and time consuming to make, and after like, one major battle the upkeep to replenish them gets so high that it almost seems like I have to disband it all and start over again. Are they mainly for when you are ridiculously wealthy?

I just use them as a reserve force that'll make you look stronger to the AI so they're less likely to attack/rebel and only use them in really important fights. They're only expensive to reinforce. In my current norse empire my retinue is about 6k and they cost around 2.50 a month total.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Eric the Mauve posted:

Way of Life, Old Gods, Legacy of Rome.

Ok, got all 3! Thanks!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Coward posted:

I have a Merchant Republic Empire. I've just wrested control via Holy War of a Kingdom away from its traditional Christian owners and now I'd like to grant this as a vassal Kingdom to a relative I like who is currently a feudal Duke of the primary de jure Duchy of that Kingdom.

If I do this, it will inherit the succession laws that I have, won't it? The Seniority succession of Merchant Republics will come down, and some random idiot I don't want to own it will get it when they die, instead of one of the kids of the relative that I like.

Is there any way for that vassal Kingdom to get even freaking Gavelkind succession when I grant it? Can the relative I like, currently a duke, have any chance of creating that title if I don't create it?

Any advice would be great.

I'm pretty sure it defaults to whatever the succession law of the kingdom was when you took it if you hand it off to a feudal duke, but if he's a republican duke, it will revert to seniority. I tried what you're doing now though, and let me give you a piece of advice. Don't land your family members as a republic. A, it reduces your trade post cap by removing related males from your court, and B, if they ever do change the law to seniority, then you're going to have issues with people inheriting things you don't want them to inherit. I once had a nice pretty borders setup where I controlled Italia, Britannia, and Hispania. I had a family member vassal that controlled Scotland and Ireland, another that controlled England and Wales, another that controlled northern Spain, and another that controlled southern Spain. Each of these 4 had a King level title. What ended up happening is that years down the road, I had one super vassal that absorbed all 4 of those vassals, and controlled so much land that he could've formed TWO empires as soon as he became independent. While he was still manageable, it slowed down my expansion because it was scary, and it hosed up my little borders system I had going on. So just give the King title to the duke or super duke that controls the strongest duchy in the Kingdom imo. It's much more sustainable in the long run. Republics are pretty easy to maintain because vassals are a lot more obedient, so you don't really need the opinion boost from your vassal being a member of your family.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Chexoid posted:

Once they replenish, they can stand around picking their nose for much cheaper, and they don't incur vassal opinion maulus, so you can have them for emergencies.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chexoid posted:

Yeah, they're a supplementary force for feudal characters, but when you're rolling in cash as a republic, they are your primary army. It's not uncommon to have -60 ducats a month maintenance on a retinue after an ugly battle if you're a republic, but that's still manageable.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Chexoid posted:

They also don't count as a raised army. So you can just march them wherever, declare war and boom. Before your opponent can organise his armies, you already have a ton of dudes in his capital.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Chexoid posted:

There are some tricks that you can use retinues for, but as other's have said the general point is to be an extra source of troops for your armies.

The first trick was already mentioned, send them in to the target of your next war and the day before they arrive you start the war so they start the siege before any troops can be raised.

If you're able to raid, you can also use them to raid your opponent, recall them, resend them and war decl. the day before again.

You can also sometimes use them to give a merry chase. Use a single retinue to draw bigger armies away from important areas. Retinues are important for this because they self-heal from any sort of attrition or being out of supply.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 23, 2015

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Another important use with retinues, if you're moreso into the military tactics/strategy numbers game, are the culture-specific ones combined with military commanders of the right culture AND if you get the right percentage of troops, which you can usually only achieve via retinues (see this page for the total list of all possible ones). A scottish or italian commander with pikemen retinues can become pretty hardcore when it comes to defending, especially if on top of mountains or across a river. They're also not too expensive and a great bang for buck IMO.

On the other hand, the playthrough I'm currently going with is a norman-culture start (for the special commander tactics) at and towards a Roman Empire via byzantium and while they're expensive as hell to create and maintain, my empire can afford it and there's nothing like a full flank of 5000 horsemen owning other armies on the offense with awesomer charge or heroic countercharge ect. Expensive as hell, like I said, so not to be used unless you plan on playing as a big empire...but nothing quite like it.

Archers used to be OP too via English/Welsh longbowmen, though no longer that much I think...and arabs have a pretty nasty camel cavalry raid tactic, that they tend to spam a lot of time with the right composition, and can also be pretty tough.

They really need to give Africans some special light infantry tactics, like...swarm, which makes poo poo easy as hell if you have enough of a mass of troops (easy with only light infantry and some archers)...but if you're ever fighting an army of bigger size than yours, or perhaps close to equal, you're still probably somewhat screwed. Not sure how they'd make it work mechanics-wise but... :shrug: Or hell, just make it so that as long as there's an african commander leading the whole army, they get double the supply limit before suffering attrition - that'd already help things a lot.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 23, 2015

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Eventually if you get big enough as a feudal empire with good military organization you can build some huge retinues, and 1 or 2 vassal republics is plenty for maintenance. Running around with over 20K right now as Britannia, but in my Spain game between retinues and vassal holy orders I basically stopped needing levies after I took Egypt. Unless you get some culture-specific bonus for it I wouldn't bother with light infantry retinues at all though.*

*edit: With the exception of small realms or vikings as mentioned below

future ghost fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 23, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Light infantry are super useful for raising numbers for sieges. That one retinue that's mostly LI is 550 soldiers for 580 cap points iirc. This is really useful in the early game as a Viking or other non nomadic raiding situation, since you can't raid with your personal levies. So I wouldn't say they're completely useless, although they're poo poo at fighting, so they're still just a complement, and you'll probably end up disbanding those retinues later to replace them with better ones when numbers won't be an issue.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Okay, that makes a lot more sense, thanks. I guess it's about time I learned more about the combat in this game beyond just "have more dudes + slap a high martial guy on there."

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Retinues are also pretty good if you have a vassal threatening rebellion, since you can park them on their territory and wait for the faction to fire.
Or you can use them if you want to crush a small nearby county/duchy, but you need to keep your levies in reserve in case you're waiting for a truce timer to expire and you want to be able to declare another war on someone, or if you want to bypass a raised levies malus. In the event of a sudden declaration of war it always helps to have a few thousand troops ready to go either on offense or defense, especially if you can leverage good commanders - Someone with the siege leader ability will cut through holdings for example.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

It's been a long time since I've played this game, and I want to do a byzantine play through (mend the schism, restore the republic, etc.) because it's one of the few things I haven't done yet. I just can't seem to get the empire off the ground without at least two revolutions within the first 25 years. The first one is to lower crown authority the second is independence. Do you guys have any advice on how to do this, are there any decent guides in existence?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

uh zip zoom posted:

It's been a long time since I've played this game, and I want to do a byzantine play through (mend the schism, restore the republic, etc.) because it's one of the few things I haven't done yet. I just can't seem to get the empire off the ground without at least two revolutions within the first 25 years. The first one is to lower crown authority the second is independence. Do you guys have any advice on how to do this, are there any decent guides in existence?

Start as a vassal duke, work your way up to emperor, is a lot more fun and probably when you get there you will be already a lot stronger than any of your vassals and will have an easier time with revolts.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 23, 2015

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

uh zip zoom posted:

Start in the Charlemagne start date. Kick the loving douxes teeth in, leave them all in prison and/or revoke their titles. Rinse and repeat, get big fast so that you can eventually holy war the Abbasids in a moment of weakness. Then keep going. You'll have to fight off a jihad or five. It'll be fine in the long term. I'm almost done my Byz WC.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
So I was trying to play the next update of my LP and I keep on getting these blank event windows that can't be dismissed after less than a month:

The only mod I'm using is HIP.

There was a minor CK2 patch since I last played but I don't see an option to roll back to the prior version under betas-- everything in there is earlier.

Has anybody seen anything like this before, or have any idea how to fix it?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Empress Theonora posted:

So I was trying to play the next update of my LP and I keep on getting these blank event windows that can't be dismissed after less than a month:

The only mod I'm using is HIP.

There was a minor CK2 patch since I last played but I don't see an option to roll back to the prior version under betas-- everything in there is earlier.

Has anybody seen anything like this before, or have any idea how to fix it?
You get that when you have mismatched parentheses in one of your event files. The way to fix it is to fix the mismatch, which can be a headache to find.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Elias_Maluco posted:

Start as a vassal duke, work your way up to emperor, is a lot more fun and probably when you get there you will be already a lot stronger than any of your vassals and will have an easier time with revolts.

Pretty much this, or in my own playthrough I actually started as the khan of the Alans with norman culture, assisted Byzantium alongside Georgia with the Seljuk invasion of 1066 and actually beat them back, then took over Georgia, settled down as a feudal ruler and asked to be vassalized into Byzantium and intermarried into the royal line a bit down the way.

Took a bit longer to get to the whole "rebuilding Roman Empire and mending the schism" bits but...I gotta say those first 50-100 years were a pretty epic introduction, first to stand alongside other orthodox rulers in beating back the muslims together, then taking one of them over and finally intermarrying and politicking to get to the Emperor/Empress seat in Byzantion, BEFORE the usual big empire building part and I wouldn't have it any other way TBH.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The thought just occurred to me, it wouldn't be too hard to implement a "suggest" diplomatic option: basically, you'd be able to open up the diplomatic menu "as" another character, or see their available decisions, and selecting one would suggest that course of action to that character. They could then weigh how much they'd like to do that thing (calculating this value is the hard part) vs. how much they like/trust you, with allowances for traits (a paranoid character would probably never accept any suggestions) and stats (having high intrigue might get you a bonus to them accepting).

And once you'd have a system like this in place, you could theoretically launch plots with the goal of forcing a character to accept a suggestion. Or a faction, even, for politically-oriented suggestions.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Looks like WtWSMS has a new contender for the Fall of Rome.

starwarsfan on the pdox forums has been making older and older book marks for Crusader Kings 2. So far he's got a 751, a 632 and a 457 bookmark set up.

Only issue is he's added some more provinces in Africa, but I know his team and the WtWSMS team are not on good terms with each other so I doubt it's 400 tiny new provinces.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What are you talking about.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

starwarsfan on the pdox forums has been making older and older book marks for Crusader Kings 2. So far he's got a 751, a 632 and a 457 bookmark set up.

Only issue is he's added some more provinces in Africa, but I know his team and the WtWSMS team are not on good terms with each other so I doubt it's 400 tiny new provinces.

I really hate how every mod feels the need to modify the map in some way.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

That's a lot of provinces in Ethiopia :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

verbal enema posted:

What are you talking about.

Some guy is making a bunch of new bookmarks for earlier start dates. I'd link them but phone posting.

catlord posted:

I really hate how every mod feels the need to modify the map in some way.

I'd agree, but my Rise of Islam mod was going to remove Scandinavia and add some more provinces on the Arabian Peninsula so I can't really talk poo poo about that. :shrug:

Autonomous Monster posted:

That's a lot of provinces in Ethiopia :eyepop:

jfc I didn't notice how tiny they were. I was more impressed when I saw he wasn't on good terms with the WtWSMS team.

• Locked thread