Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

GhostDog posted:

Had a look at the upcoming Gooncar races, I'll have to skip (i.e. not buying) the pure ovals, so I'm buying Brands Hatch, New Hampshire, Iowa and the Skip Barber. Also throwing in Mid Ohio and Sebring to get to the 20% discount. gently caress. They got me man, they loving got me.

This week is on a free oval, you have no excuse ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

GhostDog posted:

Had a look at the upcoming Gooncar races, I'll have to skip (i.e. not buying) the pure ovals, so I'm buying Brands Hatch, New Hampshire, Iowa and the Skip Barber. Also throwing in Mid Ohio and Sebring to get to the 20% discount. gently caress. They got me man, they loving got me.

Worth it.

Stick to road racing for a while for buying content, it's cheaper than trying to do both road and oval. Most of those tracks are in very regular rotation for many road series, so you'll get plenty of chances to use them.

I just started doing oval recently, and my iRacing bill definitely jumped.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

njsykora posted:

I got The Crew for free when I got my Xbone and it's a pretty fun racer. Though it emphasises that devs need to stop trying to make racing games with stories happen.

This is incorrect. We need at least another masterpiece like the Need for Speed Most Wanted story.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

I don't remember anything about the original Most Wanted story; probably because I just used the game as an open world "run away from the police" game and its incredibly fun for that. As is the newer one which doesn't have a story, but does have way too much DLC...

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The Crew was great in theory and had a lot of good ideas, but the ~physics~ felt like absolute garbage to me. I'm looking forward to the upcoming Need For Speed reboot for my open world driftin' and tunin' with bad FMV story fill.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

IceAgeComing posted:

This week is on a free oval, you have no excuse ;)

I'd love to, but unlike most Mondays tomorrow I don't have home office day (which saves me an hour of commute). And I get the feeling I need my job now more than ever. So that's my excuse :)

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

GhostDog posted:

New Hampshire is the best roval ever.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Jehde posted:

The Crew was great in theory and had a lot of good ideas, but the ~physics~ felt like absolute garbage to me. I'm looking forward to the upcoming Need For Speed reboot for my open world driftin' and tunin' with bad FMV story fill.

What are you talking about it has great physics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoATF5omkjc

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Spaced God posted:

What are you talking about it has great physics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoATF5omkjc

This is one of those things where I knew what it was going to be before I clicked it.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I really want to love RF1. It has all my local tracks in it.

But installing mods gets weird fast. Realfeel? Having only one car installed at a time or RealFeel fucks up? Do I even know what RealFeel is? Should I be editing .ini files? Should I be having tons of RF1 installs? But oh but wait! I have the Steam version! Can I even have more than 1 install? I have to choose between more than 3 peripherals. Or having multiple RF1 installs.

I very quickly get dissinterested and go back to iRacing.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Looks like you can no longer buy the porsche gt2 wheel from the fanatec website!

For god's sake please announce a new product to replace ittt.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Fanatec seem to be getting rid of lots of their middle-market stuff: the only option you have for a wheel is now the Clubsport which costs the best part of a grand to get in a workable condition (without pedals or a shifter) and they've ditched the CSR Elite pedals as well which I was looking at to potentially replace my DFGT ones, which I now probably won't do since I'm not spending a hundred quid on pedals without a load cell brake, nor can I ever afford to spend £300 just on a set of pedals... That just seems like an incredibly silly thing to do: I'd imagine that there are plenty of people (certainly me) who have a basic wheel (DFGT) who'd like to upgrade in some way without spending absolutely crazy money, and Fanatec seem to have given up those people to Thrustmaster...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've seen people complaining about the quality of their lower end stuff, maybe they just wanted to get out of the entry level market and focus on products that don't obligate them to cut corners.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It also comes down to them being a very low volume brand. They have a hard time meeting demand, so it makes sense to sell higher margin stuff since their hard cap is production capability.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I wonder when/if they're going to announce a DD wheel though? Assuming the existing rims and all the other CSW stuff is compatible it seems like they'd have a huge advantage in convincing CSW owners looking to upgrade to stay with Fanatec.

iFriend
Sep 11, 2001

Having a bad day?
Hopping back into this genre, I decided to buy the Thrustmaster TX Racing for PC and XB1 over a G27/G920. Can't wait!

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Received the Wheelstand Pro 2 & set it up on the weekend. Pretty impressed with it. I was worried because I'm quite tall but everything sits comfortably. The G27 screws in on its mounting points and it's nice and solid. There is a bit of movement back and forward if you're wrestling with the wheel but I don't mind that at all. I'm playing both Dirt Rally and F1 2015 . The main benefit to me is the ability to shift it all into storage in 1 piece when I'm not using it. Does the job.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I use one of these.. it sits on the edge of my office chair well and also stands up nicely on its own so I can unplug and atick it in a closet.

http://www.amazon.com/Xlerator-Wheel-Logitech-Driving-Playstation-3/dp/B002V3QMRE

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005
dafuq?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This is not me. But this pic is hilarious... nice white sneakers the dad.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I picked up WRC 5 for the PS4. It's legitimately good. Definitely easier to get into than Dirt Rally especially for gamepad users.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

tater_salad posted:

This is not me. But this pic is hilarious... nice white sneakers the dad.

That looks like Nigel Peppercock

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A huge update to RaceRoom just came out. The changelog is the longest I've ever seen in that game but the big things are:

DTM 2014 cars are now usable outside DTM Experience
A new tire model is being implemented on the DTM 2015 cars so they'll pick up gravel and grass if you go off track
Can now use the handbrake outside of hillclimbs
Physics updates for just about everything, though they don't go into details

E: DTM 2015 is out now, £8 if you bought any of the previous DTM packs and therefore have the tracks already. Also the experience bar at the top is starting to get a little unwieldy with 5 of them up there now, they need to find a better way of doing that now more and more of these experience packs are coming out. Also there's still no god drat flag system.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 21, 2015

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I'm enjoying F1 2015 so far. Well apart from the colour blind drivers who pass on Yellow and ignore the Blue flags, deciding to fight to the death when they're being lapped...

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Welp, I just put in my preorder for ClubSport v3 pedals... now to start saving for a wheel base, rim and shifter :shepspends:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

DiRT Rally is on sale with 33% off on Steam. I get the impression people are quite fond of it, so I'm gonna give it a try.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Black Griffon posted:

DiRT Rally is on sale with 33% off on Steam. I get the impression people are quite fond of it, so I'm gonna give it a try.

Dirt Rally owns.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

holocaust bloopers posted:

Dirt Rally owns.

:agreed:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Is dirt rally finished yet or are they doing the whole Eternal Beta thing?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Helicon One posted:

Is dirt rally finished yet or are they doing the whole Eternal Beta thing?

Honestly, if it never goes out of beta and they just keep adding new features and content forever, that's 100% fine with me.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah it's one of the best early access games in that regard, up there with KSP and Prison Architect. However it's currently 0.8, and 0.9 is expected in the next week or so, and then 1.0 should be about a month after that. There's currently 5 rally locations, 3 rallycross circuits, a hillclimb, and a buttload of cars, so it's a pretty good time to get in on it.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Jehde posted:

Yeah it's one of the best early access games in that regard, up there with KSP and Prison Architect. However it's currently 0.8, and 0.9 is expected in the next week or so, and then 1.0 should be about a month after that. There's currently 5 rally locations, 3 rallycross circuits, a hillclimb, and a buttload of cars, so it's a pretty good time to get in on it.
Yup, and for people who don't have wheels or don't want to lug theirs out of the closet you can play it decently with a controller. Sure you may not set the fastest times overall but it's still a boatload of fun.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Yes, Dirt Rally owns.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

the best bit about dirt rally is that i don't have to mess around with rsrbr in order to have fun driving a rally car; which is a good thing

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The best part about Dirt Rally is that it has the Lancia Stratos.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

How's the FFB in Dirt Rally using a TX wheel?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Great Joe posted:

:agreed:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Great Joe posted:

The best part about Dirt Rally is that it has the Lancia 037 and the Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Great Joe posted:

it has all the good lancias; including the fulvia which lots of past rally games forgot about

the delta s4 is the best one; mostly because its the most mental car ever built. it took the turbocharged engine from the 037 and whacked a supercharger on it which could deliver up to 600HP if tuned for max power; and put it in a car with almost no crash protection. the end of group b was sad, but honestly expected with how crazy it got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I thought the ford rs200 caused the end of the group B era

• Locked thread