Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Getting back to this and playing on the PTS because holy poo poo gently caress whatever that game is on Live. Someone let me into the Army-name's NorthCo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Naturally Selected posted:

Getting back to this and playing on the PTS because holy poo poo gently caress whatever that game is on Live. Someone let me into the Army-name's NorthCo

FINE!

Edit: Don't forget that today's FFL is about PVP with footage.

Edit2: Just finished watching FFL. Here's the super short recap Now with moar bullet points!

• Arena PVP coming to PTS soon. "Not this next patch" which probably means 2-3 weeks.
  • Four confirmed game modes to start: Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Jetball, and a new one called Hunter (basically it's Sharks vs Minnows with some surprises)
  • PVP and PVE balanced separately. Also, some abilities and skills work differently in PVP than it does in PVE.
  • They showed footage of some jetball matches. The map has been redone quite a bit and there have been some changes to the core JB mechanics.
  • XP and gear rewards for PVP that you can use to level up in PVE

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 14, 2015

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
To add on a few more notes:
- Esports is not a focus and not being considered
- More game types are planned
- Accord frames have been balanced, they are halfway through the advanced frames
-Dread alt-fire is a spin up in PVP
- Can queue with up to 5 people (I never heard any confirmation of the total number of players in a match)
- The will be pvp-specific cosmetics and titles
- Can switch between frames during the match
- No spectate options currently
- Will have a system tracking over 300 stats
- Will have a pvp ranking system and will eventually have a tournament/private match system and progression, rankings will be account wide
- PTS release is primarily waiting on UI team, UI team is currently working on PVP UI

Other notes:
- Design for large-scale pvp is done, it will be instanced with some type of persistent impact, will not be included in big update
- No current plans to do anything with sargosso sea or anatartica maps
- Crafting redesign is mostly done, is waiting on UI team

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Dreadnaught Jetball Slam Dunk King, right here. :getin:

I'm so glad it's finally out there that Jetball's back. I really enjoy Hunter too, but Jetball, especially with a vocal team, is so much fun. If I can, I drop anything I'm working on to get into those playtests.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I missed most of it because I always get scheduled into random meetings every Friday without fail. I'm looking forward to it, though. I also got them to remark about the Executioner's Hood on Firefall Live, so maybe they will finally fix that achievement for the people who haven't been able to get it.

Ville, you should try to help convince Red 5 to implement battleframe skins (like the Arsenal ones) as PvP rewards.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I just had a chance to play my first run of Jericho. Well, second. First one bugged out on me so we retried. It's my new favorite thing in Firefall.

Protect the repulsor from endless waves of progressively harder Chosen. The more waves you make it through, the better the reward. After each set of waves is complete, you have the chance to get on the dropship and cash out. There are no respawns. If you aren't revived by a team mate, you're out of luck. If your whole team fails, good luck on your 50% consolation prize. The first time we made it to round three before we left to reorganize. 30k xp some modules, cash, and a random level appropriate green item. The second time we did it, we made it to level 20 (barely) and got out. 143k xp, over 1k cy, a buttload of modules, and a purple helmet. Now, if only there was a version with Aranhas, we could have a pretty good Starship Troopers theme.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 15, 2015

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

Inimicul posted:

Now, if only there was a version with Aranhas, we could have a pretty good Starship Troopers theme.

I know we have devs in this thread occasionally. This needs to be a thing, make it so.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Nalin posted:

Ville, you should try to help convince Red 5 to implement battleframe skins (like the Arsenal ones) as PvP rewards.

Inimicul posted:

Now, if only there was a version with Aranhas, we could have a pretty good Starship Troopers theme.

I don't think there's a single team member against either of these. Everything's a matter of time/resources/etc.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

quote:

Honorary Tribe Member!

Six years ago, the founding fathers of Red 5 Studios got together with a revolutionary vision for gaming. We were tired of stagnant, non-skill-based games that were often a series of instanced maps, connected only by a lobby. We wanted a persistent open-world shooter that challenged the status quo. A game that was easy to learn but hard to master. A post-apocalyptic world without the dismal and dreary palette that has become so cliché for the genre. A game where you didn't have to log out to try another class. A game without an expensive price barrier to enjoy all of the content. A game where you couldn't buy power or the upper-hand, only cosmetics and convenience. We imagined the ideal game and business model and then set ourselves to pursuing it.

YOU have helped us take a major step toward our vision! We are still on the path of a long journey, but activating our virtual store and receiving your early support has helped us reach a critical milestone in this adventure! Your outstanding support will help us sustain the creation of new and exciting content for the world of Firefall! Please keep your invaluable feedback coming! Your input directly affects our game's strength and polish. We are extremely grateful to have such a supportive and passionate community, made up by gamers like you!

May New Eden continue to shine!

-The Red 5 Tribe

Moving stuff about I came across this old memento from the later days of Closed Beta. Still so easy to fall in love with the idea of the game, the Devs were in love with it too. A shame its still been swerving a bit when it comes to upholding the old ideals.

JonusRockweller fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 29, 2015

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Been a while since there was anything new to post about Firefall.

mmorpg.com posted an interview with Chris Whiteside, the current lead of Red5 Studios:
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/566/feature/10157/Its-Groove-Found-Its-Future-Bright.html

Highlights:
  • Focus is on MMO first, shooter second, with an emphasis on exploration, story, and crafting.
  • Red5 hopes that they can get PS4 and PC players on the same servers.
  • Army vs Army PvP is very nearly ready for primetime. Open PVP zones will be huge persistent territories with forts and structures to upgrade. It will be some sort of futuristic siege warfare. We will even be able to contract pubbies to fight for our army, and armies will have their own looks to put on weapons and frames. There will be progression within armies, you'll be able to own siege weapons, and you can ride in mechs.
  • After Army vs Army PvP, Red5 will work on a new urban city zone. Big skyscrapers with lots of vertical movement.
  • Eventually the fight against the Chosen will go off-world.
  • Not much more said about Arena PvP than we already know. Three different gamemodes. Will have its own progression system and leaderboards.
  • New raid coming in the future. Might tie into frame upgrades and legendary equipment.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

Nalin posted:

PS4 and PC players on the same servers.

That should be interesting.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lazer Monkey posted:

That should be interesting.

Yeah, but it might not happen. Sony has weird hangups on cross-platform play. It's why PS4 players are not allowed to see in-game chat by PC players in Rocket League.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Nalin posted:

Yeah, but it might not happen. Sony has weird hangups on cross-platform play. It's why PS4 players are not allowed to see in-game chat by PC players in Rocket League.

They did play together though until the kb/m vs controller complaints saw the game separate the two iirc. Chat is less an issue, the more interesting things will be how would voice chat be handled, since all the ps4 games i play we use the ps4 chat rooms and rarely resort to the in game channels.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

xxEightxx posted:

They did play together though until the kb/m vs controller complaints saw the game separate the two iirc. Chat is less an issue, the more interesting things will be how would voice chat be handled, since all the ps4 games i play we use the ps4 chat rooms and rarely resort to the in game channels.

With Rocket League? You can still do PS4/PC crossplay. And the only way to communicate between platforms is via the quick chat as Sony doesn't allow PS4 players to receive PC text chat.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
A bunch of new information came out today.

First off, Red5 has created new terminology for how they will update the game:

Journey - a large container for a story-line and includes multiple Updates and patches.
Update- a large content update (new missions, play areas, etc.)
Feature Pack - wraps up the Journey with quality of life improvements, new systems, etc, that leads into the next Journey.

Since all of the content is changing, they will be rolling things out to the live servers in this order:

Journey One:
  • Update 1.5 (China Only) - Coral Forest, Level Cap 30
  • Update 1.6 - Adds Sertao, Level Cap 40
  • Update 1.7 - Adds Devil's Tusk, Level Cap 45
  • Update 1.8 - Adds Amazon, Level Cap 50 <--- Crafting currently targeted for here.
  • Update 1.9, a.k.a. Feature Pack 1 - Level cap stays at 50, systems improvements/features targeted here. This is also when the large-scale Army vs Army PvP combat will be introduced.

Journey Two:
  • Update 2.0, a.k.a Journey 2 - New zone. Urban city combat.

This means that once update 1.6 hits the US servers, Devil's Tusk and Amazon will be temporarily removed from the game. Red5 aims to spend 6-8 weeks between updates. If you want any of the Devil's Tusk campaign token rewards, you have to get them before update 1.6 hits. Also, take note that crafting is targeted for update 1.8. That means we will have no crafting for updates 1.6 and 1.7. It might be possible to stock up on some stuff to sell during that 3-4 month period and make some good money, but we might not know fully until we learn how equipment will migrate.

Arsenal is not going to make it in the new system right away, and won't be in until at least Journey 2. Those who already have the frame unlocked will be compensated in some way for the "temporary loss of the frame", but no details have been given for how the Arsenal items will migrate. They will most likely bring the Arsenal back with new frames for the other classes.

Red5 is also working on a whole new way to build battleframes that will change the look based on the equipment that you're wearing, which makes sense given the MMOish nature of the new item system. There was no timeframe given for this except that it would take a lot of work, so don't expect it any time soon.

In PTS news, the new raid will available in a couple of weeks. It's a 10-person raid where you are defending Dredge from an invasion force. It's basically the scenario from the PAX Prime 2010 video where the Chosen attacks Dredge with the Necronus titan (that thing from BWA):
https://youtu.be/LvkwN8lCRFI?t=509

Arena PvP will come around December. There is still a lot of back-end work to do.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Nalin posted:

A bunch of new information came out today.

First off, Red5 has created new terminology for how they will update the game:

Journey - a large container for a story-line and includes multiple Updates and patches.
Update- a large content update (new missions, play areas, etc.)
Feature Pack - wraps up the Journey with quality of life improvements, new systems, etc, that leads into the next Journey.

Since all of the content is changing, they will be rolling things out to the live servers in this order:

Journey One:
  • Update 1.5 (China Only) - Coral Forest, Level Cap 30
  • Update 1.6 - Adds Sertao, Level Cap 40
  • Update 1.7 - Adds Devil's Tusk, Level Cap 45
  • Update 1.8 - Adds Amazon, Level Cap 50 <--- Crafting currently targeted for here.
  • Update 1.9, a.k.a. Feature Pack 1 - Level cap stays at 50, systems improvements/features targeted here. This is also when the large-scale Army vs Army PvP combat will be introduced.

Journey Two:
  • Update 2.0, a.k.a Journey 2 - New zone. Urban city combat.

This means that once update 1.6 hits the US servers, Devil's Tusk and Amazon will be temporarily removed from the game. Red5 aims to spend 6-8 weeks between updates. If you want any of the Devil's Tusk campaign token rewards, you have to get them before update 1.6 hits. Also, take note that crafting is targeted for update 1.8. That means we will have no crafting for updates 1.6 and 1.7. It might be possible to stock up on some stuff to sell during that 3-4 month period and make some good money, but we might not know fully until we learn how equipment will migrate.

Arsenal is not going to make it in the new system right away, and won't be in until at least Journey 2. Those who already have the frame unlocked will be compensated in some way for the "temporary loss of the frame", but no details have been given for how the Arsenal items will migrate. They will most likely bring the Arsenal back with new frames for the other classes.

Red5 is also working on a whole new way to build battleframes that will change the look based on the equipment that you're wearing, which makes sense given the MMOish nature of the new item system. There was no timeframe given for this except that it would take a lot of work, so don't expect it any time soon.

In PTS news, the new raid will available in a couple of weeks. It's a 10-person raid where you are defending Dredge from an invasion force. It's basically the scenario from the PAX Prime 2010 video where the Chosen attacks Dredge with the Necronus titan (that thing from BWA):
https://youtu.be/LvkwN8lCRFI?t=509

Arena PvP will come around December. There is still a lot of back-end work to do.

Thread title still accurate.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

You can see Chris Whiteside's influence. That update system is straight up lifted from his time at Arenanet - overarching story seasons consisting of smaller story updates, capped off by a feature pack that focuses on QOL, then a new season.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
If anybody wants the Lancer M3 LGV, you will need to grind out the 200 campaign tokens before update 1.6 as it will be removed from the store. Campaign tokens are going to become a seasonal currency.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I must have missed this, but if you have an Arsenal battleframe, you will get compensated for its removal with:
  • 200 red beans (~$25 worth)
  • Arsenal visual polymorph (non-combat)
  • Mini-Arsenal pet
  • Combat Shotgun secondary (stats dependent on level of the frame)
  • Arsenal warpaint
  • A1 Resource Hauler (yes, that Broken Peninsula vehicle, lol)

Update 1 (ver 1.6) will contain:

Update 2 (ver 1.7) will contain:
  • Level cap of 45
  • Devil's Tusk
  • Baneclaw raid
  • New open-world content and missions
  • New multi-part open world event (possibly something like OCT for Devil's Tusk)
  • Arena PvP (TDM, Hunter, Jetball, possibly FFA)

Update 3 (ver 1.8) will contain:
  • level cap of 50
  • Amazon Warfront
  • Kanaloa raid
  • New crafting system

Feature Pack 1 (ver 1.9) will contain:
  • Army vs Army PvP
  • Corporation vs Corporation PvP

Journey 2 will take place in a city in the USA that was taken over by the Chosen.

Since the research tree is receiving a full overhaul, everybody will get refunded crystite and time.
There will be a Halloween event this year.
Custom weapons are not forgotten. They are "waiting for resources to become freed" which translates to never.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

I still haven't used up my research time from the last time crafting was overhauled.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Nalin posted:

I must have missed this, but if you have an Arsenal battleframe, you will get compensated for its removal with:
  • 200 red beans (~$25 worth)
  • Arsenal visual polymorph (non-combat)
  • Mini-Arsenal pet
  • Combat Shotgun secondary (stats dependent on level of the frame)
  • Arsenal warpaint
  • A1 Resource Hauler (yes, that Broken Peninsula vehicle, lol)

Arsenal was a little fat art wise, but fun. :(

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
PTS was updated with patch 1.6 items:
http://forums.firefall.com/community/threads/pts-v-1350-update-1-6-notes.6919421/

Highlights:
  • Level cap increased to 40.
  • Sertao available.
  • Advanced battleframes have their 4th ability and HKM available.
  • 4 new campaign missions, plus a new operation: "The Ares Team".
  • Defense of Dredge raid instance added. 10 player raid.
  • OCT has been updated.
  • Lots of performance improvements.
  • Day/night is now 75%/25%.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Red5 is doing the Halloween event this year:
http://www.firefall.com/news/live-event-night-of-the-melding-2015

Do events, earn tokens. You can spend the tokens to get:
  • "Melded Pumpkin" Decal
  • Spectral Warpaint
  • Pinhead Mask
  • "Ghostly Rider" Mask
  • "Headless Horseman" Pet
  • Pumpkin Candy - Consumable that applies one of several spooky effects to your character until you move.

Completing the daily mission 9 times (out of the possible 14 days) will unlock the "The Night Will Last Forever" achievement, which awards you:
  • 1000 Credits
  • "Trickster" Perk

If you already did the event the previous year, there are no new rewards this time. The only benefit is the 1000 credits.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Lemon King posted:

Arsenal was a little fat art wise, but fun. :(

Yeah that was the only thing I liked. (I almost typed warframe but that's a better game.)

I'm kind of surprised firefall is still going. It needs so much work to be a good game and I think there is a nugget of a good game buried deep in there but its gonna take a long time to get there.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
If you don't have an Arsenal, consider unlocking one. As part of their compensation, you will have the option of receiving some XP packs or unlocking an Advanced frame at max level. Even if your Arsenal is level 1, they will advance the frame you choose to 40. This is pretty huge as Red5 has massively increased the amount of time to level your characters. Levels 1-30 on PTS is longer than 1-40 on Live.

Also, I believe the modules you will get after the migration will be "Gifted" prefixed. That means you cannot trade them. If you want to earn credits for your modules, you will have to do it before the 1.6 patch. Pilot tokens will convert to XP packs, so if you don't those and would rather have credits, you have to do that now.

Vending machines are also going away, so save up or spend any tokens you have. I believe they will get converted to security keys in the new system.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

randombattle posted:

I'm kind of surprised firefall is still going. It needs so much work to be a good game and I think there is a nugget of a good game buried deep in there but its gonna take a long time to get there.

Same. I check on this thread occasionally and read patch notes that honestly could have come from any time in the last 3? 4? years. How many crafting revamps has this game gone through now?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Every month or so I check this thread to see if they've actually delivered that big revamp they've been promising. Every month, they still havn't.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

-Troika- posted:

Every month or so I check this thread to see if they've actually delivered that big revamp they've been promising. Every month, they have delivered a new one
I don't really know what big revamp you are talking about, but it definitely seems to me that every time I check back in on this game it has undergone a massive revamp and is essentially a new game.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

eSporks posted:

I don't really know what big revamp you are talking about, but it definitely seems to me that every time I check back in on this game it has undergone a massive revamp and is essentially a new game.

Basically the problem is too many revamps...

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

xxEightxx posted:

Basically the problem is too many revamps...

and yet still 1 too few.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Time to go full circle and just become this again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvkwN8lCRFI

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Baller Time posted:

Time to go full circle and just become this again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvkwN8lCRFI

That never existed as a game, it was more a visualization of intent, like it was pretty close to when the PvE was first active but that particular footage was all smoke and mirror.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

MadHat posted:

That never existed as a game, it was more a visualization of intent, like it was pretty close to when the PvE was first active but that particular footage was all smoke and mirror.

That was very early, yes, but the first version of the game was very much like that. It started off as just arena PvP in the friends and family closed beta. Once they started to open it up, the first iteration had levels, loot drops, and thumpers around Copacabana. If you find gameplay videos from 2011 and early 2012, you can somewhat see that. Unfortunately, I believe that original system was NDA so I haven't been able to find video of that time yet. It didn't last that long. They started their whole horizontal progression / tiers thing shortly after that.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
So do people still play and if so where do you guys hang out? I've logged in every so often as well but never find anyone in the GOON army chat.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

SoggyGravy posted:

So do people still play and if so where do you guys hang out? I've logged in every so often as well but never find anyone in the GOON army chat.

I've been playing recently to grind out some stuff for the 1.6 patch. I've usually signed in on the weekdays around 8-9pm Pacific to run some hardcore campaign missions. I've also been grinding out reputation with POIs (I completed DT and Sertao) and I recently finished Big Game Hunter.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Apparently there were some big layoffs at Red5 recently right after the game launched in China.
http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/37231/Firefall-RUMOR-Major-Layoffs-at-Red-5.html

According to the latest update on the article, it claims its because they weren't needed anymore now that the game was released.

EDIT: It seems that Chris Whiteside is no longer Executive Producer and was let go. He was the guy who came from ArenaNet to lead Red5 in fixing Firefall. That's pretty big. He was the guy in this article talking about the future of Firefall.

EDIT: I think the combat designer left too. The guy who was in charge of redesigning the core combat experience.

The only other piece of news is that they finally created a page to contain all the migration details:
http://www.firefall.com/migration-guide

Nalin fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 26, 2015

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Hang on, they hired cowboy to redo the combat mechanics and now he's gone before the job is done too? If they are releasing the migration guide I assume that means they're going forward with the next relaunch/soft wipe after they tap someone else to come in and clean things up.

Will they ever stop shooting themselves in the foot?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
So beginning of the end? Again? I'm seriously pissed about them just killing the Arsenal is was one of my favorite frames.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
"We are aware that there have been questions and speculations on what the future plans of Firefall holds. We have not been able to give much information as we were in the process of planning and mapping everything out."

:laffo: I'd pose a hypothetical about whether ff will be released before or after star citizen but technically firefall has already launched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A shame too, it was a fun, unique game that I had a lot of fun with. Was looking forward to returning to it once there was a bit more end game :(

• Locked thread