Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

sirbeefalot posted:

Have any review sites had the 6P long enough to comment on regular battery life?

3 hours or so more than the nexus 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Rahu X posted:

Why?

Besides the focus on security possibly killing a dev community around the device (assuming someone won't find a way with enough determination), and it being overpriced, it seems like a solid phone.

It has a tried and true SoC (Snapdragon 808), a QHD screen that is just short of phablet territory (5.4"), a decent sized battery, expandable storage, a potentially good camera, and a great physical keyboard. All while still being relatively thin and solidly built.

Unless you just hate Blackberry/RIM and want them to die, I really don't see any reasons to not get this phone besides the two I just mentioned earlier.

I personally won't be getting one though. As attractive as having a good physical keyboard is, it is a bit ridiculous to be spending over $600 on an unlocked phone. After $600, you essentially enter the "land of diminishing returns."

Still, won't deny it's a solid looking phone.

Because it's overpriced ugly garbage with a physical keyboard in 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
And the company's moribund and aside from that already doesn't have the best track record in supporting or keeping their one-off devices up to date.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I'm all over the Priv, I have a thing for physical keyboards and can't help it.

But not at seven hundred and forty-nine goddamn dollars. That's just stupid.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just got my Nexus 5x. The wall plug is huge.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FogHelmut posted:

Just got my Nexus 5x. The wall plug is huge.
Here's my jokes:

Do we need to start making a cut out of the wall plug?

Does it fit in your Jorts pocket?

Do you need to put grip tape on the wall plug to get a hold of it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Rastor posted:

I'm all over the Priv, I have a thing for physical keyboards and can't help it.

But not at seven hundred and forty-nine goddamn dollars. That's just stupid.

$949 in Canada lol

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It really is large and sticks out pretty far.

The 5x is one-handable, at least left to right. The plastic back is pretty smooth. Compared to my 2013 Moto X, which I can reach all 4 corners with my thumb, and the backing is pretty grippy. Otherwise its good so far.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I should hopefully have my Nexus 5X by the end of next week. In anticipation of its arrival, are there any recommended screen protectors? Everything I'm finding on Amazon seems to be for the old 5. Or, are screen protectors not even worth bothering with these days?

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Ciprian Maricon posted:

When did you guys order your N5Xs and 6Ps that you're having delivery already, I'm looking at November 18th expected.

Have any 6Ps been delivered in North America? The earliest these seem to be shipping is next week.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

paperwind posted:

I should hopefully have my Nexus 5X by the end of next week. In anticipation of its arrival, are there any recommended screen protectors? Everything I'm finding on Amazon seems to be for the old 5. Or, are screen protectors not even worth bothering with these days?

My OG Evo 4G from 2010 with original Gorilla Glass, I scratched with keys in my pocket, and used a screen protector after that. I did not use one on the Galaxy Nexus with its off-brand Gorilla Glass and it did okay, a few scuffs near the end. The 2013 Moto X with Gorilla Glass 3 did not get a single scratch. Also I don't put it in my pocket with keys or loose change.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Sand scratches your screen, not keys.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Radbot posted:

Sand scratches your screen, not keys.

Except you know, the oleophobic coating on the phone glass, which when it gets scratched can't be replaced and it looks like a scratch in the glass so is just basically a scratch in the glass.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Booting up the 5x - I set up a wifi connection and it told me immediately it needs to download an update and restart. Tribes 2 all over again.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Just got mellowmaesh on my 6, I am very impressed so far by how much smoother junk feels. So good.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

FogHelmut posted:

Booting up the 5x - I set up a wifi connection and it told me immediately it needs to download an update and restart. Tribes 2 all over again.

More like every game released from like 2008-onward.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

More like every game released from like 2008-onward.

Tribes 2 was 2001. It was the first game I remember reading printed on the box "be sure to download the latest patch!" I had downloaded game patches before, but none before I could even play the game.

Anyway, setup was smooth. Moved account info from my Moto X very easily. Now it's just wait around forever while it downloads my apps. Apps apps apps.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

So far I'm liking the 5X. Everything's been transferred over except my text messages, which I'm doing right now.

Nexus Imprint is screaming fast on unlocking your phone, holy poo poo.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Rusty Kettle posted:

We are living in an age when a huge percentage of the population is going apeshit over a star wars trailer. This trailer debuted during Monday night football, and more people gave a poo poo over the trailer than the sports game.

We are all nerds. Every one of us.

We did it. We won.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

FogHelmut posted:

It really is large and sticks out pretty far.

The 5x is one-handable, at least left to right. The plastic back is pretty smooth. Compared to my 2013 Moto X, which I can reach all 4 corners with my thumb, and the backing is pretty grippy. Otherwise its good so far.

What color did you get? Some reviews with white ones said that the back was on the smooth side and expressed that the black one might be a grippier surface similar to how the black nexus 5 was soft and easy to hold but the white one was slippery and hard

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

TraderStav posted:

We did it. We won.
Im a star wars nerd and honestly couldn't care less about that trailer. I'm going to see it regardless, so why preview more of it?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Viper915 posted:

What color did you get? Some reviews with white ones said that the back was on the smooth side and expressed that the black one might be a grippier surface similar to how the black nexus 5 was soft and easy to hold but the white one was slippery and hard

White. It's slippery and hard.

I thought it might help to reflect heat when I'm using it as GPS on the dash and the sun is shining on it. My black Moto X would get too hot and stop charging.

edit - It's probably smoother to keep dirt off of the whiteness.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 22, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Im a star wars nerd and honestly couldn't care less about that trailer. I'm going to see it regardless, so why preview more of it?

More of a reference that nerds have successfully converted everyone to our ways.

The new nerds are hipsters. They can stick to their little communes playing kickball and other hipster things.

In related news, I'm about to pull the trigger on the 5x, those nighttime pics are ridiculous.

I've noticed that now that I have Android Auto my third gen G may be too slow for it. Get lots of slow downs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've got GPMAA on google account X. It's got a bunch of playlists and music pinned to my device and uploaded music.

I want to stop using GPMAA on google account X and start using it on google account Y. Is there anyway to get the playlists, pinned music, and uploaded music onto google account Y?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Loving the 5X so far. Imprint works great even with my hosed up fingerprints. The camera is amazing. Worth it for that alone.

It does feel bulkier than my Moto X 2014. No curved back I guess.

Screen is better too. Colors seem more accurate. Everything just looks sharper.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

CLAM DOWN posted:

$949 in Canada lol

It's pretty drat steep. But then a 64GB 6P is like $800 ( $700 at Rogers for a 32GB no term, so 64GB from Google must be at least another $50-100 ) so our lovely dollar kind of makes any outright purchase terrifying. Is this dumb thing worth $950? I don't think so.

And yet, I'm still trying to hold myself back here, logic dictates it's a complete waste of money and Blackberry hasn't even mentioned update support ( regardless of if they go out of hardware ) so who knows if/when it'll ever be updated. You'd think since they're trying to go the security tack, one of the first things they'd mention is how quickly they are going to send updates and patch vulnerabilities.

:negative:

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 22, 2015

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

TraderStav posted:

More of a reference that nerds have successfully converted everyone to our ways.

The new nerds are hipsters. They can stick to their little communes playing kickball and other hipster things.

Did they get their Star Wars extended universe novels thrown in a toilet and pissed on in middle school? No... Hmmm.... Not true nerds....

Also, on topic, my 6P has a 'leaving warehouse' date of about two weeks from now. How accurate are those?

Finally don't read the Wired review. It's awful. Cliffnotes: "It's perfect and we love it. But it uses a new cable and isn't an iPhone so 8/10."

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Rusty Kettle posted:

Did they get their Star Wars extended universe novels thrown in a toilet and pissed on in middle school? No... Hmmm.... Not true nerds....

Also, on topic, my 6P has a 'leaving warehouse' date of about two weeks from now. How accurate are those?

Finally don't read the Wired review. It's awful. Cliffnotes: "It's perfect and we love it. But it uses a new cable and isn't an iPhone so 8/10."

Well, there's nerds and then there's "nerds".

I loving love the star wars and star trek section at Barnes and Noble

I have a problem, just ordered my fifth phone in 18 months.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I can't add a bookmark shortcut to the desktop directly from Chrome anymore?

I can add it as a widget but not directly from Chrome.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I can't add a bookmark shortcut to the desktop directly from Chrome anymore?

I can add it as a widget but not directly from Chrome.

I just did it. Add to home screen

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

TraderStav posted:

I just did it. Add to home screen

I used to be able to on other phones. Long press and get "Add to home screen."

Also charger plug for comparison

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

FogHelmut posted:

I used to be able to on other phones. Long press and get "Add to home screen."

Go to the page, then it's an option in the menu.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Athenry posted:

Go to the page, then it's an option in the menu.

Ah, maybe that's what it used to be, thanks.

edit- The headphone jack on the 5x takes some force to plug in all the way.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 23, 2015

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

FogHelmut posted:

Also charger plug for comparison

Yeah it's big but the real issue is that the USB port is on the side which makes it take up even more space horizontally.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

FogHelmut posted:

Ah, maybe that's what it used to be, thanks.

edit- The headphone jack on the 5x takes some force to plug in all the way.

the USB-C port is the same way on mine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rahu X posted:

Why?

Besides the focus on security possibly killing a dev community around the device (assuming someone won't find a way with enough determination), and it being overpriced, it seems like a solid phone.

It has a tried and true SoC (Snapdragon 808), a QHD screen that is just short of phablet territory (5.4"), a decent sized battery, expandable storage, a potentially good camera, and a great physical keyboard. All while still being relatively thin and solidly built.

Unless you just hate Blackberry/RIM and want them to die, I really don't see any reasons to not get this phone besides the two I just mentioned earlier.

I personally won't be getting one though. As attractive as having a good physical keyboard is, it is a bit ridiculous to be spending over $600 on an unlocked phone. After $600, you essentially enter the "land of diminishing returns."

I don't really see the hate either, specs-wise is does seem to be a decent device. If you want a physical keyboard (and I'll even concede that sometimes you do, like if you're some email warrior at work or something) then it's your only choice but even beyond that it's not a bad device. The only real negative I see is this:

TollTheHounds posted:

It's pretty drat steep. But then a 64GB 6P is like $800 ( $700 at Rogers for a 32GB no term, so 64GB from Google must be at least another $50-100 ) so our lovely dollar kind of makes any outright purchase terrifying. Is this dumb thing worth $950? I don't think so.

And yet, I'm still trying to hold myself back here, logic dictates it's a complete waste of money and Blackberry hasn't even mentioned update support ( regardless of if they go out of hardware ) so who knows if/when it'll ever be updated. You'd think since they're trying to go the security tack, one of the first things they'd mention is how quickly they are going to send updates and patch vulnerabilities.

:negative:

... because TollTheHounds is exactly right here. It's too expensive* unlocked for a casual/personal user and it's unlikely they'll keep up on OS updates which is the most important thing for security. I'll also even say this: I think it's an actual good idea and solid approach for Blackberry to position themselves as the Android vendor who cares about security. BES and managed devices bullshit aside, this is a legit market niche and if they want to combine that with physical keyboards to sell to it then I really, truly wish them luck. The worst thing about the Priv is the name because with good execution (and that's far, far from a given when Blackberry is involved) this could actually be a route to the future for them and I'd like to see them make it there. :unsmith:

*It's not too expensive either. They want businesses to buy and deploy these--fantasy at this point, I know, but it's the plan--and it's probably close to what they need to sell for in order for them to recoup their investment in designing it. It's too expensive for the market given the number of good enough devices that are less than flagship but for what it is and what's trying to do, the price point is acceptable.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

codo27 posted:

This is like the opposite of those loving morons that buy the short box trucks knowing very well they will want to put their bikes or whatever in it, then having to buy the loving platform that allows you to park the bike half way on top of the loving cab because they were too stupid to just buy a real truck in the first place! You could just buy a reasonably sized phone! Except there are none made anymore! AaaaaahahahahaahahhahugfiweharuilghERUILHGERg

I use the one-handed operation on my Note 5 all the time. With two hands, the size is perfect, but with one (which admittedly I use far less often than when I had an iPhone 5) it shrinks it down to a pretty good size. Good enough to type.

Hikaki posted:

So ordering one of the new Nexuses gets you three free months of Play Music. EXCEPT if you were already subscribed at any point within the past year. What a bummer.

Same with the Chromecast. Which, btw, if you got a Chromecast recently, check out the Chromecast offers. Most of them are just free trials but 3 months of play music isn't bad if you haven't tried it before. https://cast.google.com/chromecast/offers/

Rahu X posted:

Why?

I don't want RIM to die. I just absolutely think they will. And I'll retract everythig I said if this thing somehow gets glowing reviews. I love physical keyboards but this whole product looks like a headache for normal buyers.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

codo27 posted:

You could just buy a reasonably sized phone! Except there are none made anymore! AaaaaahahahahaahahhahugfiweharuilghERUILHGERg

Xperia Z5 Compact:

eBay

Amazon

Expansys

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

Why would you do that to her?

Because it's 2015 and she still thinks she needs buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

CLAM DOWN posted:

Because it's overpriced ugly garbage with a physical keyboard in 2015

What's wrong with having a physical keyboard in 2015?

To this day in most cases, typing on a physical keyboard is more accurate and has less issues. Yeah, it's not as extensible as a software keyboard, but unless you really want to have a dedicated section for emojis, it's hard to beat a physical keyboard for a pure typing experience. And it's not like the keyboard is negatively effecting the size or handling of the phone in any way. Early reports state that the phone is well balanced with the keyboard out, despite concerns that it would become top heavy.

I'll give you overpriced though.

As for "ugly", I think it looks rather "professional." It looks like a phone that's made to slap around and get poo poo done with. It's a phone for people who actually respond to emails on their phones, and respond with more than just "lol" or "k" in a text message.

To cut it short, it seems like a solid phone, but in typical Blackberry fashion, it's overpriced as gently caress. Maybe a great phone to get after it drops in price or if you still get phones on contract.