Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Skandranon posted:

The Eldar don't have much chance of accomplishing much either, except maybe reincarnating as a god and finally kicking Slanesh in his 50 penises.

well doesn't becoming a death god and killing Slaanesh off also give their race a chance to survive indefinitely into the future with exodites/whoever is left being able to repopulate the maiden worlds and the galaxy suddenly being much more metaphysically friendly to Eldar interests?

I mean that's not a "set the galaxy on fire" apocalyptic ending, but from an Eldar perspective it would be a resolution to their ongoing apocalypse and a real victory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Stanley Pain posted:

No there doesn't. Part of the charm is that sometimes you just get hosed.

If the missions weren't at least a half hour investment I'd be more okay with random acts of fuckery. As it is, having 20 minutes of progress go to waste because you rolled a 1 on the bullshit die is incredibly frustrating to me.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

sirtommygunn posted:

Sometimes things get so unfair that all you can do is laugh. I definitely get frustrated with the wild difficulty range but I'd be a bit sad to see that go.

I personally get frustrated when I play well for 30 minutes and then get dicked right at the finish line over something I really couldn't control.

I'd settle for a checkpoint system at major objective completions that you can revert to if you die. Oh well, another 5-10 minutes playing, that's no big deal. 30 minutes down the drain and another obnoxiously long sequence of scrolling numbers meticulously reminding me of how hard I just got dicked isn't really fun.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Hard mode Horn run with 2 grims, 2 tomes, 2 bots. Sprint to the elevator with low hp. Bots are dead. "Look out that Gas rat's gonna explode!"
"Whe---"
green cloud envelopes the elevator, killing us both as we start our slow descent.

Such a good game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Drakes posted:

Got my first orange drop

Chance to pierce/Chance to heal/Quicker reload

Seems good overall, but I kinda like the blunderbuss now despite how negative people seem towards it. Thing is simply great for sweeping waves of rats, and I like having the rifle butt on hand to finish off stragglers without needing to swap back to my melee.

That thing is crazy strong though. If it was a green with just reload it would still be amazing.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

While I do like the feeling of, "I'm hosed but I will die with glory" I get frustrated with dying at the end of Horn and no checkpoints.
There have been situations that there was a no-win state for my group. That's not okay. I like all the specials as-is but Hard should not spawn two gunners and an Ogre at the same time. That's bananas.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Elpato posted:

Hard mode Horn run with 2 grims, 2 tomes, 2 bots. Sprint to the elevator with low hp. Bots are dead. "Look out that Gas rat's gonna explode!"
"Whe---"
green cloud envelopes the elevator, killing us both as we start our slow descent.

Such a good game.

I unironically agree.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gimnbo posted:

If the missions weren't at least a half hour investment I'd be more okay with random acts of fuckery. As it is, having 20 minutes of progress go to waste because you rolled a 1 on the bullshit die is incredibly frustrating to me.

Even winning missions can be a waste if you literally roll a 1 on the bullshit loot dice at the end.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
I don't know why you guys can't appreciate a good dicking. Getting dicked's good for you, builds character.

Are there any differences between a Stormvermin and a Commander? I've seen both pop up when I've killed what seems to be pretty identical rats.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Tau can never win because they suck poo poo at space travel.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Liberal_L33t posted:

Personally, I was pretty okay with the whole 'End Times, everything dies, Chaos breaks loose and wins' plot. I mean, they'd been belaboring the point about the world being doomed, the inevitability of Chaos, and the apocalypse being right around the corner for years. I'd consider it a pretty huge cop-out if the "good" guys managed to save everything through some last-minute scheme. People make fun of the 'grimdarkness' of this setting, and it does veer pretty close to self-parody at times, but you have to remember that for a lot of fans, the gothic grimness and baroque fatalism of the setting was what made them love it. If a huge portion of your game's lore involves hyping the end of the world it's bad form not to go through with it at some point.

So no, I don't fault GW's handling of the End Times event at all. What I fault them for is the awful, awful fantasy-space-marines and the incredibly obvious sidelining of everybody who isn't them.

Maybe it's because most of my exposure to warhammer fantasy was 2nd ed WFRP books, but I never got the feeling that the end of the world was what the setting was all about. Instead, it felt like a grimly heroic setting, where a toll keeper could end up with one eye, paranoia, and almost die from dysentery before he saves a city from a demonic incursion only to die from infections. Chaos, Beastmen, Ratmen and Orcs were all ever present and powerful; but they've been beaten with bronze, are being beaten with steel, and will be beaten with the new technology that's being developed all the time. Unlike 40K, there's also a strong element of cooperation that means that not everything has to be bad all the time. Dwarves and the empire are allies, and the high elven wizard that set up the colleges of magic is still alive; and the empire isn't the only human civilization. There's actual good gods, gods of mercy and justice and civilization; not just gods of death and battle along with the evil chaos gods. There's all sorts of really bad poo poo, but it's not all bad all the time and it can get better, unlike in 40K which is a space opera where the good guys lost.

There was an adventure I DMed that's close to the scenario in Vermintide, where the skaven come kinda outta nowhere after crippling the town with well placed bribes and an experimental plague. There's a frantic defense and heroic last stands, and in many fantasy games the good guys would've won. But they didn't, they lost the town and it falls to a brutal and cruel skaven occupation. But what's great about the adventure is that's basically just the start of it, because the skaven don't really know how to rule properly, relying on enslavement and brute force without understanding that makes people fight back against them rather than just meekly give up; the adventure's about founding a resistance to break the hold of the skaven on the city before they're able to carry out a crazy plan to build a giant fuckoff gun and kill the whole imperial army as it marched to attack the city.

I kinda dig Age of Sigmar's positive tone, and even think the idea behind the sigmarines(souls of brave and good warriors from any race formed into knights to be chaos' equal), but I think that it just straight didn't need to happen at all. There was a great world in where warriors who had pledged body and soul to unspeakable gods with unnatural strength, armour that lived and changed, and unholy weapons infused with demonic power fought dudes in silly hats and puffy pants with flintlocks. Who won? The dudes with puffy pants and flintlocks.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 23, 2015

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Inzombiac posted:

While I do like the feeling of, "I'm hosed but I will die with glory" I get frustrated with dying at the end of Horn and no checkpoints.
There have been situations that there was a no-win state for my group. That's not okay. I like all the specials as-is but Hard should not spawn two gunners and an Ogre at the same time. That's bananas.
I know it sounds lovely, but that really does come down to bad teamwork if you get splatted by that. Everyone needs to still be looking everywhere and most importantly hitting Spot (bind it to shift) when your characters mention the specials, if I hear another special while a Rat Ogre is coming then as a bright wizard I'm looking for it while evading the Ogre and then just giving it 5 fire bolts to the head so when its clear again I know the whole party can focus on the ogre - any other threats are priority #1 as that's what compounds into wipes, so clear em out instantly. You have a whole heap of notice before any of the specials that isn't the packmaster really fucks you, and hearing the ping noise of someone else spotting a special should immediately make you pull out your ranged and turn around if you're not the one being directly attacked.

Re Checkpoints: I honestly hope they don't do them, as given how literally every single pubbie instantly wants to exploit Horn even on normal, they're definitely going to do something like have the host alt-f4 if you're about to wipe to go back to the checkpoint and then have them join off their friend again to be right back where they were, and in particular the grimoire mechanic makes it so it really feels like a gamble getting them if you're not ready for it. Standing over the second grimoire considering 'I dunno, we've got a lot of loot dice so far we'll piss away if we gently caress it up' and then picking it up giving you that much more of a paranoia when you're doing the finale is excellent. Restarting over with your grimoires still would be poo poo, restarting without your grimoires would be poo poo.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Is it me, or did they add like a second or so 'stun' when you get hit now? If you're moving and/or turning the camera and you get hit, it just locks your camera for a second and stops your movement and attacks/block attempts.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Is it me, or did they add like a second or so 'stun' when you get hit now? If you're moving and/or turning the camera and you get hit, it just locks your camera for a second and stops your movement and attacks/block attempts.

Yes, which is pretty poo poo. You can't even change weapons during the hitstun so if you get cornered while falling back you can easily get into a failure cascade situation.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i feel like the smuggler level is bad

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Eonwe posted:

I feel like your feelings are grounded in reality. Even if it wasn't a sewer level (gently caress sewer levels) it's still bad.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gimnbo posted:

I guess it depends on what your definition of fun is. This isn't a game about fairness. I find a good part of the charm for me is knowing that just around the corner can be a death.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Musluk posted:

Can't wait for End Times 40k edition!

Space Marines alone sell more than every Fantasy army combined, so NOPE

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Gimnbo posted:

This is the kind of thing where people don't realize that meaningful failure makes the reward for success more impactful. Of course it's frustrating; on the other hand, if death was no big deal, maybe people wouldn't be as driven to keep playing the game to improve their characters.

Plus, you played the game for 20 minutes and had fun until you lost, that's not "a waste". That kind of thinking is completely bizarre.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 23, 2015

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Eonwe posted:

It isn't as interesting as half of the other available levels, that's for sure.

Inzombiac posted:

I've been playing a lot of Hardmode lately and tbqh I don't think the spawns are all that bad. There have been occasions where my buddies and I realized that situation could have gone south super quickly, but I'd prefer a fatalistic setting if it means getting close to the finish line and failing every now and again over getting to the finish line every time.

On an unrelated note, I feel like the devs had a missed opportunity in the Wizard's Tower by not having multiple paths through the M.C. Escher room that have you walk on the walls/ceiling.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So unless you have armor piercing, how can you deal with Stormvermin? It seems sword and board Kruber is not very good at fighting them.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

^^ Get a handgun, shoot their faces off. ^^

Improbable Lobster posted:

Space Marines alone sell more than every Fantasy army combined, so NOPE

That was my point, yes.

Eonwe posted:

Keep in mind that release has 6 fully-blown ~30 min maps and 7 'sidequest' style maps like the sewers so there might be other bad maps too.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

So unless you have armor piercing, how can you deal with Stormvermin? It seems sword and board Kruber is not very good at fighting them.

You gotta stab them in their face or shoot them in the head. Anything else bounces off.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

sirtommygunn posted:

You gotta stab them in their face or shoot them in the head. Anything else bounces off.

power attacks also work

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

My axe n board dwarf has no problems:

Stab head => push => stab head => push...

They actually go down fairly quickly.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

What rarity are hats and trinkets?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Brainamp posted:

What rarity are hats and trinkets?

Trinkets can be green or higher, hats are orange. That's what I've seen so far anyway.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Crooked Warden posted:

My axe n board dwarf has no problems:

Stab head => push => stab head => push...

They actually go down fairly quickly.

Axes also have armor penetration, which sword and shield lacks on normal attacks. Which makes it easier to deal with stormvermin and gunners since you can damage them in places other than the head.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I've begun crashing after the intro videos after a week with no issues. I was playing this morning and stopped to take a break when it happened. It was quite literally working one minute and crashing the next. I've tried literally everything so hopefully the get to my ticket pretty soon.

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KILL RATS?!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Arrrthritis posted:

I've been playing a lot of Hardmode lately and tbqh I don't think the spawns are all that bad. There have been occasions where my buddies and I realized that situation could have gone south super quickly, but I'd prefer a fatalistic setting if it means getting close to the finish line and failing every now and again over getting to the finish line every time.

Oh, I agree. I was just talking about the very rare combination of bad items, low health and a really dickish spawn.

95% of my games have been successful and enough of them have been questionable to keep me on my toes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Metos posted:

I know it sounds lovely, but that really does come down to bad teamwork if you get splatted by that. Everyone needs to still be looking everywhere and most importantly hitting Spot (bind it to shift) when your characters mention the specials, if I hear another special while a Rat Ogre is coming then as a bright wizard I'm looking for it while evading the Ogre and then just giving it 5 fire bolts to the head so when its clear again I know the whole party can focus on the ogre - any other threats are priority #1 as that's what compounds into wipes, so clear em out instantly. You have a whole heap of notice before any of the specials that isn't the packmaster really fucks you, and hearing the ping noise of someone else spotting a special should immediately make you pull out your ranged and turn around if you're not the one being directly attacked.
Stormvermin do not have call-outs and make no particular noise, so 2 Stormvermin spawning cannot be noticed early unless they happen to be spotted jumping down from a spawn. This is doubly true when you account for the fact that 'random' Stormvermin only spawn during horde events, such as after blowing the horn or during the ROgre's life span. On the note of the ROgre, characters seem to be limited to a specific number of call-outs per period, because someone who has recently shouted about the ROgre WILL NOT call out a Gutter Runner/Pack Master until about 10 seconds has passed. Gutter Runners do not start making noise until they have phased the first time, so it is entirely possible for you to get jumped before they've started the sinister whispering crap.

If you were very on the ball and never missed, I'm sure you could probably overcome the sudden appearance of 2 Stormvermin and a Gutter Runner during a Rat Ogre's tenure. But to call it 'poor teamwork' because someone had no chance of responding in the first place is a colossal load of horse poo poo. If you want that sort of thing in the game and find it fun, cool, I'm sensitive to that - it sounds like a great way to distinguish Nightmare and Cataclysm from lower difficulties and make the game not only more friendly to players, but also capable of scratching multiple itches. If I'm in a rowdy mood and want to get pumped up fighting off those rat bastard fucks, I'll happily roll a somewhat unfair mode in order to increase the thrill. If I just want to stab a rat before I pass out after working for 12 hours, I currently can't do that at all, because Normal is just as likely to gently caress me sideways with specials as Cataclysm.

quote:

Re Checkpoints: I honestly hope they don't do them, as given how literally every single pubbie instantly wants to exploit Horn even on normal, they're definitely going to do something like have the host alt-f4 if you're about to wipe to go back to the checkpoint and then have them join off their friend again to be right back where they were, and in particular the grimoire mechanic makes it so it really feels like a gamble getting them if you're not ready for it.
I don't even get what the gently caress you're talking about here. We were talking about checkpoints for dying, such as in Left 4 Dead. If you alt-f4 that game you're starting at the most recent campaign map (checkpoint), or, more likely, the start of the campaign. There's no way you are not losing time by dying, the question is how much. A quick restart to 5 minutes ago is entirely different to a 90 second restart to 30 minutes ago. You sound more like you're not in favor of host migration here.

Stanley Pain posted:

I guess it depends on what your definition of fun is. This isn't a game about fairness. I find a good part of the charm for me is knowing that just around the corner can be a death.
This definition and the other major definitions are not mutually exclusive. I'll go out on a limb here and say that most folks would probably not be excited about this game if it were super easy. I'd go so far to say as most people don't really care that they get their poo poo pushed in by the game. Hell, I'd say that's probably a primary draw. But if you're going to give me all these weapons and stuff, it's a reasonable deal to ask for a say in the matter when you come to murder me. I lost a game on Normal yesterday because the game spawned 2 Pack Masters and 2 Gutter Runners that all alpha'd the gently caress out of our team during a Rat Ogre fight, less than 3 seconds from first disable to last disable. I don't feel like we really had a say in that particular murder.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 23, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

I don't even get what the gently caress you're talking about here. We were talking about checkpoints for dying, such as in Left 4 Dead. If you alt-f4 that game you're starting at the most recent campaign map (checkpoint), or, more likely, the start of the campaign. There's no way you are not losing time by dying, the question is how much. A quick restart to 5 minutes ago is entirely different to a 90 second restart to 30 minutes ago. You sound more like you're not in favor of host migration here.

This definition and the other major definitions are not mutually exclusive. I'll go out on a limb here and say that most folks would probably not be excited about this game if it were super easy. I'd go so far to say as most people don't really care that they get their poo poo pushed in by the game. Hell, I'd say that's probably a primary draw. But if you're going to give me all these weapons and stuff, it's a reasonable deal to ask for a say in the matter when you come to murder me. I lost a game on Normal yesterday because the game spawned 2 Pack Masters and 2 Gutter Runners that all alpha'd the gently caress out of our team during a Rat Ogre fight, less than 3 seconds from first disable to last disable. I don't feel like we really had a say in that particular murder.

Yeah, having no say in a death is exactly the point at times. It's very much what gives this game a lot of its atmosfear ( :haw: )

Host migration and checkpoints aren't exactly the same thing. Yes, internally they might be checkpoint saving your progress for host migration, but outside of that instance I don't want a progression checkpoint system. This goes back to my first point being a good portion of the charm of this game is the sudden death scenario. It adds a bit of urgency to everything too. You don't like it that's fine, but I think you're in the minority here.

kevin mung
Jul 15, 2013

by Shine
Does matchmaking not work in this or something? I just bought this and can't seem to get a match with real players.

Nevermind, I restarted steam and it started working.

kevin mung fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 23, 2015

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kevin mung posted:

Does matchmaking not work in this or something? I just bought this and can't seem to get a match with real players.

When you choose the map you want to play on wait a bit. The empty slots at the top will fill.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, I always got the feeling Fantasy was much more about 'We're always on the edge of getting hosed, so grab this blunderbuss and we've got to deal with these rats.' than the inevitable end of the world. But then, I came into the setting with WHFRP2e, which takes place right after Chaos has ravaged the north of the Empire then gotten hosed and driven back at great cost. They retconned all that out and had the Big Chaos Lord kill all the people who'd kicked his rear end post-retcon to show he was really cool and you should like him (he is not really cool and no-one likes him), but that's always how I'll see the setting, myself.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Gutter Runners do not start making noise until they have phased the first time, so it is entirely possible for you to get jumped before they've started the sinister whispering crap.

I agree with you, but from my experience during the closed beta and the preorder beta, they do. Now, noticing the whispering while the music is rolling and people are shouting is another matter.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Gutter runners are sort of low on my internal scale of "oh poo poo, a special" . They just knock out one guy for a second and take around two slave rat hit's worth of HP then die pretty quickly most of the time. Of course they are a big deal during a horde, but so is every other special.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Elf improves immensely once you get rid of her poo poo starter bow and get a longbow.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The Bright Wizards standard Sword has an amazing charge attack. To the point where I was forgetting to use the actual Staff as it just cleaves so nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Vermintide: That's So Skaven

• Locked thread