Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

RIP Kinemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The start of a new adventure is always the best thing!

Or it would be if Ryuunosuke wasn't the best thing. Robin's reaction... Also Robin's morbid guess about the monkey. I like that in this crew with a bunch of over the top characters, she's just so incredibly deadpan, but no less ridiculous.

KoB posted:

Shes even got long wavy hair like Nami. Thats totally nami. Monkey thing was Chopper.

Probably a minkman that has a DF ability to turn people into minkmen.
Monkey thing has a striped hat, not Chopper's hat.

And what's more he was making ninja sounds, and so was presumably the ninja that the samurai were looking for. If this minkmen transformation thing is at all true.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KoB posted:

Shes even got long wavy hair like Nami. Thats totally nami. Monkey thing was Chopper.

Hopefully they just raided the Sunny while it's been moored to the elephant's leg. The bad guy will reveal that he took the meat from the fridge, and Luffy's got his motivation to kick rear end.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is definitely giving off a Skypiea vibe right off the bat, including them apparently walking right into the middle of a tribal warzone right from the word go.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This is definitely giving off a Skypiea vibe right off the bat, including them apparently walking right into the middle of a tribal warzone right from the word go.

Dressrosa was Alabasta, Zou is Skypiea, Wano will be Water 7.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What about Elbaf? Thriller Bark presumably. And then Raftel can be Saobady, with Mariajois being Marineford. Which just leaves Long Ring Long Island to figure out.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
And then there's Sniper Island.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i like how they casually left 2 devil fruit users to fall thousands of feet to the ocean

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Jose posted:

i like how they casually left 2 devil fruit users to fall thousands of feet to the ocean

They called up to say they were ok. Surely you're not suggesting there is someone/thing that can mimic voices :rolleyes:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

khy posted:

Hrm. I was hoping for something web-based simply because I am trying to avoid downloading/installing anything.

Comixology has all the volumes and lets you read them through a web interface.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

KoB posted:

They already did something similar with Sugar's powers last arc though.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Going to say they traded their clothes for a bunch of cool poo poo so everyones going to be blinged out in mink furs when they meet back up

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KoB posted:

Bunny girl is Sanji?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lol

also one minor thing, i didnt care too much for usopps outfit last arc but it looks cool now. theres just something nice about seeing the strawhats wear new clothing

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Nami was wearing a different outfit when we saw her last, so either she gave her top to the mink person or the minks raided their stuff.

Sorry "mink tribe = animal people" peeps

Also I noticed upon rereading that the gates they enter say "MOKOMO DUKEDOM" on them. Mokomoko means fluffy, as in fur.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 23, 2015

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I was about to say...

What new perverted hijinks will Oda put Nami through this time? :cripes: I'll take "tribal loincloth in a bamboo cage" for 200.

The ancient ruins of Petra, Jordan aesthetic is nice, though! I'm guessing this is the New World Skypeia, then?

No you see most people have no idea Skypeia even exists mainly cause of how elusive it is from the world below. This place is impossible to miss, there's no ignoring a giant walking elephant carrying Pandora's Temple

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

What the hell happened when Zoro parried bunny girl? Is that some Haki shenanigans

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

frajaq posted:

What the hell happened when Zoro parried bunny girl? Is that some Haki shenanigans

Honey Bunny looked to be wearing some kind of gauntlet.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The "she's floating" line makes me think it was Geppou/Moon Step.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I think what he's noting is how she redirected her momentum in midair; that's not something a lot of people have done that I remember without special powers. She 'floated' over his sword according to the sound note, ended up behind him, then redirected herself down at him without touching the ground or something else.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I thought the "floating" referred to her hovering above him and attacking

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Given Geppou has a pretty established visual cue/movement pattern this doesn't resemble, I highly doubt this is the same thing. Honestly it's pretty neat to see A girl actually put Zoro on the back foot right out of the gate after how poo poo the last few arcs have been about either of those things happening

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Bobulus posted:

Comixology has all the volumes and lets you read them through a web interface.

Oh, really? Do they do the Guided View, too? Because I might just go digital.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah one thing Oda's great at is making it clear when something is new to a character and when it's something we've seen before. Zoro definitely has seen geppou enough to recognize it. I think what happened was she was charging him, then changed direction without touching the ground, floating to above and behind him, and struck with what appears to be some sort of lightning attack? The lighting of the shot makes it seem like light came from her attack as well, so some sort of electric-charged gloves, perhaps? Or a fruit/nanomachines thing unrelated to the gloves and she just fights with her claws.

deep space nein
Aug 25, 2011

Parrotine posted:

No you see most people have no idea Skypeia even exists mainly cause of how elusive it is from the world below. This place is impossible to miss, there's no ignoring a giant walking elephant carrying Pandora's Temple

Log poses don't work to get there and it's in the middle of the ocean. It's not normal to go anywhere that isn't on an established route, especially in the New World where doing so usually means death.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Yeah it hasn't come up in a while because everyone is all nice and established with your log poses and your magic the gathering cards, but it doesn't matter if you can punch a mountain if you end up starving to death in the middle of the tractless sea.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Maybe it'll grow on me, but as of now this is the first new island that doesn't immediately captures my attention. Kinda meh on the Minkmen so far (though to be fair, we have not seen a whole lot of them yet) and maybe the elephant thing will play into it more. But as of yet it feels kinda meh. Same with this chapter really. (dragon part not withstanding, of course)

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Going with the whole "different levels of similar fruit powers" hypothesis, she could have some kind of fruit similar to Shiki which enables her to levitate/float and redirect herself midair.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Now that I think about it, there's an even more mundane explanation for Nami's bikini top to show up without her. Pappug has a store on the elephant where the minkmen shop and this minkman has the same taste as Nami.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I'd think it could have been magnetism since it almost looked like she repelled away from Zoro's sword. But yeah Kidd has that already.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

It could be a kilo-kilo/ton-ton fruit situation. Similar but different powers.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
nanomachines

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Reading that color version from the beginning I realized that Morgan is the guy Kuro had hypnotised into turning in "Captain Kuro" and Wapol's white cape is actually the skin of this wooly rhino's brother. Jesus Wapol is an rear end.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

anime was right posted:

lol

also one minor thing, i didnt care too much for usopps outfit last arc but it looks cool now. theres just something nice about seeing the strawhats wear new clothing

It didn't hit me that they were wearing their new clothes for the arc because I look at Robin and Frankie and I'm like "Laundry's not done for another hour and this was all that was left in the closet"

I'm pretty sure they all started wearing that the week it took for Luffy to recover

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
The bunny girl has the pole pole fruit which lets her change her polarity to either attract or repel herself from her target. I think this could also explain the electricity-looking stuff? I'm dumb and barely remember anything from school. :v:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I just watched the One Piece filler arcs I hear are generally considered the best (G-8 and Ice Hunters). Previously the only OP fillers I'd seen were the Warship Island arc and some of the movies, which were not very good even for shonen filler, and the summaries I'd read of some of the other filler arcs weren't very promising either. G-8 and Ice Hunters were better than the other One Piece filler, but still not really good.

On the plus side, G-8 showed the Straw Hats actually doing their professions (Chopper treating patients, Sanji cooking, Usopp firing a cannon). It had a villain who was actually intelligent (Kuro was supposed to be this, and an SBS states that he's really smart, but that's not how he's actually written). It gave us a sense of the Marines as a subculture. The way the Straw Hats got away in the end was also clever. It broke the mold of the One Piece arc structure while still fitting into the manga's plot and setting. It didn't even have any of those little kids One Piece filler loves.

On the minus side, it felt like the Straw Hats were less violent than would normally be in character for them in order to make the plot work. Similarly, Jonathan is strangely easygoing for someone who's supposed to be on good terms with Akainu. These are quibbles, though. The more important issue is that it didn't quite feel tense enough, even when Luffy was stuck in a seastone net. I'm not sure how much of this is due to the Straw Hats' enemies explicitly going out of their way to capture them alive, how much to the fact that those enemies, for all their special equipment, were mostly generic Marines, and how much to the anime's odd reluctance to show characters really getting injured.

I think I subjectively enjoyed Ice Hunters more. It was a more traditional One Piece arc, where a group of enemies is introduced as the Straw Hats explore a new area, the enemies give the Straw Hats some trouble, they beat all the enemies except the main one, and then Luffy beats the main villain. It had two little kid characters, but they were both tolerable (and it felt like Lil was a child mainly to provide an antagonist Robin would have moral qualms about snapping the spine of, rather than the anime writers' usual weird misunderstanding of One Piece's escapist appeal). It indirectly touched on the question, "What would happen to Luffy if Zoro died?" and it's interesting to note that the implied answer (he'd experience genuine self-doubt for once, but it wouldn't break him in the long term) matches what actually happened in the manga when Ace died. Some of the villains had neat gimmicks, and Don Achino even gave Luffy a tense fight.

On the other hand, there was sometimes that strange sense (common in filler, not just for One Piece) that the protagonists are holding back for no particular reason. It takes place after Enies Lobby, but aside from Luffy using Gear 2 and Franky being a crew member, no one really does anything that they couldn't have done back in Skypeia. The anime's reluctance to show injuries also made it hard to tell when attacks were actually supposed to be accomplishing anything. The way Luffy won in the end was kind of bullshit; while just ignoring the pain should be useful against a heat power to a point, Achino was presented as a threat because he could physically melt something he touched entirely. (If you really want to rationalize it, maybe Luffy was unconsciously using Color of Armaments there? Was that even a thing in the manga when that arc was written?) Also, the magnetic twins are a good example of the anime writers' tendency to exaggerate the anything-can-happen aspect of the One Piece universe; odd abilities and phenomena in One Piece usually get some kind of explanation eventually.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 25, 2015

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i haven't seen most of the filler but there's one where a giant ate the mini mini fruit and that sounds like a neat concept

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I mostly like G8 because it's different, the Straw Hats sneaking through a Marine base is still something that hasn't really happened yet. The closest things have been punching their way through Enies Lobby and Luffy getting into Impel Down. They can't just bust their way through everything because the situation is so heavily stacked against them with the Merry essentially being held hostage and all their Skypeian gold locked in a vault. The fact that they had to sneak around and blend in was cool.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

oddium posted:

i haven't seen most of the filler but there's one where a giant ate the mini mini fruit and that sounds like a neat concept

The ending is kind of dumb, but the ride up til then is pretty good. Mini mini giant would have been a great crew addition. Just never, ever do that cringe worthy combo ever.

Also there's a bazooka that ate the alpaca fruit named Alpacacino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Cross posting from D&D

quote:

Paul Ryan is changing his job title. He’s changing his office. And he’s even changing his name.

From today on, the Wisconsin Republican would like to be known – in official capacities, anyway – as Paul D. Ryan.

The Ways and Means chairman asked the Clerk of the House Karen Hass to officially change his name to include the middle initial on all official documents and offices – just one day before Ryan is set to be elected speaker.

Ryan’s middle name is Davis.