Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Pharnakes posted:

You have enough tonnage in Northern Europe (France's primary area) to blockade France. France has enough tonnage in the Med to blockade you.

That is kind of wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The best bit is if either side tries to correct the situation they will have to pass a blockade running check, and likely fail and be stuck with status quo.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
That's strange, since 100% of my fleet is in the Med!

Oh, perhaps because I have GB as an ally and THEY are blockading France?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yes, allies contribute tonnage strength to blockades.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Better quality guns doesn't increase accuracy or rate of fire, just range and penetration, right?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yes, allies contribute tonnage strength to blockades.

That actually makes slightly more sense. Your British allies are blockading the French in the Atlantic. But they don't care about you enough to go into the Med and lift the blockade on your Italian homeland.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Roumba posted:

Better quality guns doesn't increase accuracy or rate of fire, just range and penetration, right?

I know that -1 and -2 gives less RoF and accuracy, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen it explicitly stated that + quality gives a bonus. I think it does though.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.
There was something wrong with their bloody ships that day:

The crew of the Kongo will not be buying their own drinks for quite a while.
Under-armoured turret faces and hidden flaws don't mix well.

Anyone give raiding battle-cruisers a try? I'm playing as Japan in this game so I have a number of 2,100 ton raiding CLs but I'm also experimenting with a trial pair of 26,000 ton 30 knot BCs armed with 8 12" raiding in Northern Europe. Major drawback is that any battle damage will see them interned but one of them got some lucky hits against a much heavier British BC and sank her while taking only moderate damage so I figure that it was a good trade and I'll get the BC back at the end of the war.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
So I've been kinda waltzing around this game for a while, but since I'm only grog lite the price puts me off somewhat. Does the game ever go on sale, or should I just suck it up someday when I can find the spare change?

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

Tomn posted:

So I've been kinda waltzing around this game for a while, but since I'm only grog lite the price puts me off somewhat. Does the game ever go on sale, or should I just suck it up someday when I can find the spare change?

The game is worth the full $35. Its broad but not over-complicated (for a grog game). I'm having a blast playing my first campaign as the USA.

I love this Heavy Cruiser:

The SLC won her battle star by absolutely savaging a French coastal raid. Heavily damaged one 1899 CA and chased another into Hampton Roads before sinking it. The '99 CLs could only look on in horror as a lone US cruiser gored 4 ships of the Imperial French Navy. Her sister ship USS Portland decides on a different rampage in the next war:

gently caress your dreadnought Japan

gently caress your whole fleet Japan

The main battle line is about to come into range: 1 BB and 2 CAs, the USS Salt Lake City and sister ship USS Huron. :japan::getin:

Alas, the Captain's balls were too large a target:

RIP(ieces) USS Portland, I will name a BC after you.

edit: Victory!

Pity Party Animal fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 20, 2015

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'm in my first ever engagement, as Italy vs. Russia, and I'm trying to set my lead ship (a light cruiser?) to AI control so I can just watch the battle. It let's me do it but then resets the control to manual after a few turns.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

:captainpop:

1902 and a 10 year treaty just occured. limit: no guns above 12", no anything above 18k tons.

France had to scrap 3 too.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
That's nothing. You should see treaty results in the BB race era.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Are "Hits" calculated per turret or by gun? That is, would I have a higher chance of getting at least 1 hit with four 2 gun turrets or 4 two gun turrets, or the same chance?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Roumba posted:

Are "Hits" calculated per turret or by gun? That is, would I have a higher chance of getting at least 1 hit with four 2 gun turrets or 4 two gun turrets, or the same chance?

I have a feeling you'll get the same hits with four two gun turrets and with four two gun turrets, yes.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Roumba posted:

I assume it's 4x2 or 2x4.

Until you get the proper tech, I think more guns in secondary turrets reduce rate of fire, not idea on accuracy. More guns per turret means less weight spent on turret armor. With a triple turret, you can get 3 hits, so the same number of guns can achieve the same amount of hits. No idea if you get rate of fire penalties when using triple or quadruple main turrets.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't think it matters. IRL twin turrets suffered intractable accuracy problems due to aerodynamic issues with shells in flight. But I don't think that's modeled.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I'd like to take a minute to talk about this motherfucker:

The Baltimores were my 1899 CLs that I made as big as possible with as many of the biggest guns possible as fast as possible and the Chicago survived all the way to the end of 1926 (so far) accumulating 7 (or more idk if they run off the screen) battle stars and was the utter terror of NE Asia sinking anything, ANYTHING that was even close to it in size. It even took out a couple of early Russian CAs that it outgunned. :getin:

She's being put in the reserve fleet now, hopefully to train many more generations of seamen. But if the need to kill merchant shipping off the coast of Kamchatka ever arises...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TehKeen posted:

I'd like to take a minute to talk about this motherfucker:

The Baltimores were my 1899 CLs that I made as big as possible with as many of the biggest guns possible as fast as possible and the Chicago survived all the way to the end of 1926 (so far) accumulating 7 (or more idk if they run off the screen) battle stars and was the utter terror of NE Asia sinking anything, ANYTHING that was even close to it in size. It even took out a couple of early Russian CAs that it outgunned. :getin:

She's being put in the reserve fleet now, hopefully to train many more generations of seamen. But if the need to kill merchant shipping off the coast of Kamchatka ever arises...

Hmm, as I understand it anything above 6" gets big penalties when shooting at destroyers, and to my mind if your CL can't tell destroyers to gently caress right out of its range then it isn't doing its job as a fleet ship.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Why do guns above 6" get penalties to hitting destroyers?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Because they are so heavy and clumsy to train to a target?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Pharnakes posted:

Because they are so heavy and clumsy to train to a target?

If that was the case wouldn't 6" guns be more accurate in general, not just against one particular class of ship?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Not really? A small gun can track a small target moving fast and manoeuvring hard, a large gun can't. Seems reasonable enough to me.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
Anyone know how this game was developed? I am interested in doing something similar but instead of the dreadnought race it would be about the space race.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

T___A posted:

Anyone know how this game was developed? I am interested in doing something similar but instead of the dreadnought race it would be about the space race.

I think you might be looking for Race into Space and or Space Program Manager. They are not exactly the same (no design, but a lot of demented options) but they are cool and good.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

xthetenth posted:

I think you might be looking for Race into Space and or Space Program Manager. They are not exactly the same (no design, but a lot of demented options) but they are cool and good.
I was playing Space Program Manager earlier today as a matter fact. Alas my inner Grognard demands more sperg.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

T___A posted:

I was playing Space Program Manager earlier today as a matter fact. Alas my inner Grognard demands more sperg.
You've probably already seen this.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Playing this weekend as Germany. It's 1909, but no one has Dreadnoughts yet, in part thanks to a treaty limiting ships to 10,000 tons that ran out just before. I'm fighting Russia and our fleets meet near Finland.

The Mecklenburg rams into one of the Russian CAs. They slowly destroy each other as the rest of my fleet steams around nearby. Mecklenburg ends up with a 15% hit rate thanks to this.

A little while later, my remaining battleships run smack into the Russian fleet at close range. Torpedoes go flying, most hits are reported on unsighted ships as both sides scramble to form a line.

Managed to pull out a win, solely through torpedo strikes, otherwise this would have been a devastating loss. Of course, the Kaiser is still displeased, so I lose prestige.

Really fun game.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Everyone who likes this game should check out Castles of Steel from their library. It is surprisingly engaging for a mammoth book about the administration of navies.

Reading this book it's hard to escape the conclusion that Churchill was incompetent as First Lord. He may have been a political genius and certainly very intelligent, but he keeps making amateurish mistakes because he's an amateur. Of course, it's hard to say whether any other of the civilian cabinet members would have done a better job. But they might have stayed out of decisions about disposition much more than Churchill, who was more often than not dictating to the commander in chief about which units to use in certain operations.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 3, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

:frogbon:

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

You are being way too kind to France and Italy. We don't suffer pacifists around here.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

USA! USA! USA!

Seriously though, how'd you pull that off?

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Arglebargle III posted:

Everyone who likes this game should check out Castles of Steel from their library. It is surprisingly engaging for a mammoth book about the administration of navies.

Reading this book it's hard to escape the conclusion that Churchill was incompetent as First Lord. He may have been a political genius and certainly very intelligent, but he keeps making amateurish mistakes because he's an amateur. Of course, it's hard to say whether any other of the civilian cabinet members would have done a better job. But they might have stayed out of decisions about disposition much more than Churchill, who was more often than not dictating to the commander in chief about which units to use in certain operations.

and Dreadnought by the same dude covering the naval arms race between UK and Germany in the late 19th early 20th centuries, diplomacy and politics and also some poo poo about warship design. great read.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Then again, when Churchill came into office in 1912 the RN's strategic stance against Germany was still close blockade, which probably would have been a disaster and was exactly what the Germans were planning for. Churchill appointing Jellicoe, hauling Fisher out of mothballs and overseeing the change to distant blockade strategy probably contributed a great deal to winning the war, so his amateurish orders in the Goeben affair and Coronel disaster probably don't count for much.

Also he may have bungled the appointments spectacularly but he was probably right about the Dardanelles. Unfortunately he didn't insist on putting the right officers in charge of the operation, handled Fisher very badly, and once Kitchener got involved and stretched the operation from a week to three months it was a disaster. A disaster that sort of took the corpse of Churchill's original plan that had already been bungled by unimaginitive admirals and sent it lurching into the hills of Gallipoli that Kitchener never bothered to find out existed before he set the operation in motion. Churchill's original plan for the Dardanelles makes decent sense, and he doesn't deserve anything like the blame that he got for the failure of the Gallipoli campaign. The news in hindsight that the Turkish batteries only had ammunition for one more day on March 18th, but that de Robeck halted operations from March 19th until May must have been devastating for Churchill.

Of course Churchill really lost his job because he overestimated his ability to control Fisher, who was uh let's say unpredictable. I don't know of any other First Sea Lord of whom the King has said: "He should have been hanged at the yardarm..."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pershing posted:

USA! USA! USA!

Seriously though, how'd you pull that off?

The old "quick get yourself into a war with a third-rate power to kill tensions with Germany and UK" trick backfired spectacularly.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

:catstare:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 8, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I assume it survived? I guess you have your own Seydlitz there.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

"Moltke limits flooding" x20

"Our ship KMS Moltke has been torpedoed and sunk while retreating from battle."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TehKeen posted:

"Moltke limits flooding" x20

"Our ship KMS Moltke has been torpedoed and sunk while retreating from battle."

It DID strike a mine on its way back. That was the final buoyancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I think this ship card is more accurate.

• Locked thread