Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Looks like I am picking up a lathe. A british made Coronet Major:

Well I'm having someone go and check it out for me as it's up in Kokkola and I'm going the opposite direction next week for a whole week.

It's not a particularly large lathe, 11.5cm height (bit more than 4½") of the headstock and 80cm (31½") between head and tailstock. I wasn't going to buy it because of the limited diameter, but the headstock swivels so I can use it for larger things. Lengthwise I think it's OK. Most of the things I can imagine using it for it making new handles for tools, seats for stools, wooden pulleys, perhaps bowls.

Thinking it's made sometime in the 1970s, it has a grinder attachment on the headstock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hah, I just sold my lathe.

Turns out I'm too lazy to move it, plus I am going to use this as an excuse to upgrade.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My wife texted me earlier a charity shop nearby has a wood lathe, she's an enabler.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Cakefool posted:

My wife texted me earlier a charity shop nearby has a wood lathe, she's an enabler.

My girlfriend doesn't know I cut into our anniversary budget for the planer.
:devil:

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

After I proposed by gf said I could buy something fancy since she got a ring. Planer it was! Pretty fair deal imo.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Cakefool posted:

A good wife.

So I can feel bad about myself: how long does it take people to complete the average project, say a chest of drawers? I'm going on 20 hours now and I have at least another 20 to go and I feel hell of slow.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Tim Thomas posted:

A good wife.

So I can feel bad about myself: how long does it take people to complete the average project, say a chest of drawers? I'm going on 20 hours now and I have at least another 20 to go and I feel hell of slow.

"First you get good, then you get fast." "Dont rush it, it will come." "If you don't take the time to do it right, when will you make the time to do it over?" etc.

My 93 year old grandpa can make about 40 end grain cutting boards in a day.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What do you mean, "finish a project?"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

He means when it reaches the state where it's as done as it's ever going to be.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh, when you're dead.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

He means when it reaches the state where it's as done as it's ever going to be.

Well then if he means "buying all the needed supplies," he should just say that. :colbert:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

I think he means "spraying the finish on a project" then feeling the sense of dread as you hope that it turns out.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
HDS, I've been thinking about the cherry in Finland question, it might be worth contacting Kovjoki Snickeri, I know that they've been a source for hardwoods for some of my friends. No idea if they have cherry, but they might be able to point you in the right direction.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Oh I don't have any particular use for cherry, mostly just curious where it could be found. I'll remember those guys though, maybe I'll buy some hardwood from them.

I know there's also Korsholm Trätjänst near Vaasa where one can get oak boards. 2" boards for 2000 euros per cubic meter, I might get a board or two, and perhaps I can buy a box of off-cuts cheaply.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

His Divine Shadow posted:

Oh I don't have any particular use for cherry, mostly just curious where it could be found. I'll remember those guys though, maybe I'll buy some hardwood from them.

I know there's also Korsholm Trätjänst near Vaasa where one can get oak boards. 2" boards for 2000 euros per cubic meter, I might get a board or two, and perhaps I can buy a box of off-cuts cheaply.

That's great to know, I'm in Korsholm fairly often and will check the place out. I've been thinking a lot about oak lately.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I am trying to justify my savings of a few bucks, but I will not if there is no reason to so I need some advice.

I am rebuilding some of my own home finally and one of the projects is building usable closet space. I plan on using 23/32 maple/oak plywood for most of it and then painting it. I can snag the cheaper $42-49 4x8 at Lowes or I can "go big or go home" at a local lumber supply and get domestic plywood (thicker veneer) for around $70 per sheet (shop grade) which is meant to be painted.

The question is, does anyone have recent experience with the Lowes/HD plywood for painting? I know I really can't stand the stuff, but how well does it take paint?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Does the thickness of the veneer matter if you're going to paint it anyway?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't pay extra for a "maple" or "oak" plywood or whatever, where a big part of what you're paying for is a nice surface that looks like wood (as long as you can't see it edgewise, which exposes the plywood layers). As long as the outer layer is reasonably flat/smooth it'll be fine.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I am trying to justify my savings of a few bucks, but I will not if there is no reason to so I need some advice.

I am rebuilding some of my own home finally and one of the projects is building usable closet space. I plan on using 23/32 maple/oak plywood for most of it and then painting it. I can snag the cheaper $42-49 4x8 at Lowes or I can "go big or go home" at a local lumber supply and get domestic plywood (thicker veneer) for around $70 per sheet (shop grade) which is meant to be painted.

The question is, does anyone have recent experience with the Lowes/HD plywood for painting? I know I really can't stand the stuff, but how well does it take paint?

The cabinet grade plywood takes paint fine. One of them has some that's primed white on one side, I think. Also, what TMA said, there's no reason to get a hardwood veneered sheet if you're painting it. Fir is fine fir what you're doing.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Cakefool posted:

Does the thickness of the veneer matter if you're going to paint it anyway?

No, a decent coat of primer should hide even the edge of the plywood. Never mind a veneer that's maybe a couple hundred microns.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We're refinishing a mantle and I'm wondering if anyone has any tools they recommend to get in the corners and cracks. Because at this point it feels like it's never going to be done.

Whatever was on it didn't really respond to paint stripper so we've hand to sand most of it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

The Dave posted:

We're refinishing a mantle and I'm wondering if anyone has any tools they recommend to get in the corners and cracks. Because at this point it feels like it's never going to be done.

Whatever was on it didn't really respond to paint stripper so we've hand to sand most of it.

Wrap sandpaper around a thin, like 1" putty knife. You can also use a 1/4" or 1/2" chisel very judiciously in spots, if you are a judicious chiseler.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Ocillating multitool?? I have one with some little sanding pads. I have the Harbor Frieght one so it only cost like $15. No complaints and it would probably get most into most of those corners.

Sanding sponges?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My wife was having some good success with a chisel, I'm too worried I'll go too hard.

Actually bought an oscillating tool for this, it's worked really well for a lot but not everything.

I like that putty knife idea, guess there's really now silver bullet for this.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Dremel for tight corners. That's all I got for ideas.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Some detail sanders might be small enough to get in there. I got a metabo that does all my hard to reach places.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
card scraper?

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
heat gun?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

media blasting?

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Tears

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Try your best to avoid tear-out

:downsrim:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the info about the plywood, it will save me some change :)

http://www.lowes.com/pd_12229-99899-NA_1z10t8c__?productId=3602858&pl=1

That is the stock I'll pick up, unless anyone sees something wrong with using it.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I prefer the shittastic Home Depot HD ply you can get for $40 a sheet for the surface finish being pretty much bang-on without sanding, but honestly they're both fine.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The Dave posted:

Stripper plus a wire brush is great for corners and grooves. Just use a light touch.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Dave posted:

... tools ... to get in the corners and cracks... didn't really respond to paint stripper

1. heat gun
2. scraper
3. wire brush

are good answers. Heat to soften the paint, scraper to dislodge it, brush to clean it up.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I am rebuilding some of my own home finally and one of the projects is building usable closet space. I plan on using 23/32 maple/oak plywood

Is this not something you could frame out and use drywall? Would be a fuckton cheaper and easier.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

wormil posted:

1. heat gun
2. scraper
3. wire brush

are good answers. Heat to soften the paint, scraper to dislodge it, brush to clean it up.

Is this not something you could frame out and use drywall? Would be a fuckton cheaper and easier.

I guess you COULD but it would be the most white trashy closet space I have ever seen aside from the normal "put up a wire shelf" nonsense.

This is more of what I am going for .. doing it with drywall would just seem like it belongs in the other thread about construction disasters.

http://www.thehappyhomebodies.com/2013/11/diy-how-to-build-wall-of-closets-from.html

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I guess you COULD but it would be the most white trashy closet space I have ever seen aside from the normal "put up a wire shelf" nonsense.

This is more of what I am going for .. doing it with drywall would just seem like it belongs in the other thread about construction disasters.

http://www.thehappyhomebodies.com/2013/11/diy-how-to-build-wall-of-closets-from.html

He said "frame out", i.e. build a proper wall out of 2x4s and then surface it with drywall. Depending on what kind of space you're working with that might not make sense though. It sounds like you basically want to build some cabinets, except instead of storing dishes or whatever they'd store clothes.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

He said "frame out", i.e. build a proper wall out of 2x4s and then surface it with drywall. Depending on what kind of space you're working with that might not make sense though. It sounds like you basically want to build some cabinets, except instead of storing dishes or whatever they'd store clothes.

Yes, for my space it makes no sense .. but even if it made sense I really dislike the look of that kind of closet. I re-framed the closet because the original design was dumb (9'x2.5' with a 32" door). I'll likely just be building the cabinets flush with the 6" stubs on both sides and adding some nice doors and trim. Going from a could be partially walk in closet to more useful space.

Anywho, I'll check HD and Lowes for the straights BC sheets and see what I think. Thanks!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Lots of ideas to try out, thanks gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

My table finish was damaged in a horrible spilled acetone incident. This is the table, the finish is described as "Honey brown stain with clear protective lacquer finish".

How do I go about finding a stain with a sufficiently similar color, and how can I apply it to minimize any dissimilarity of the repaired spot? (I'm definitely not up to refinishing the entire surface at present - maybe in the future when I've had more practice)