Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Bright Wizard is the best poo poo. Bolt staff for pure fire spam, Beam Staff for fire shotgun rat murder with occasional beam lasering of specials. Also she sasses Saltzpyre the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Gonkish posted:

Bright Wizard is the best poo poo. Bolt staff for pure fire spam, Beam Staff for fire shotgun rat murder with occasional beam lasering of specials. Also she sasses Saltzpyre the entire time.

Yeah, if I'm playing with a coordinated group, I'm usually leaps and bounds ahead on a lot of damage metrics. It probably helps that I have a blue Beam Staff with regrowth and knockback as well as a blue flaming sword with regrowth and berserking though.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Fat Samurai posted:

Yelling at the elf is always the correct answer.

I've really begun to notice when things go bad its 99% of the time the elf's fault in game
So yes, blame the elf.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KILL RATS?!
If you live in the city go outside at about 2am with a spear and start shouting, "For the emperor!" as you stab them.

So my main complaint about the game right now is the sewers. There's no tomes, no grimoires that I'm aware of. Beyond doing it once or twice why would I want to do it? Sure it's fast but bonus dice are nice!

Now, i don't necessarily want tomes, but some kind of optional quests or things to do would be interesting and nice.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Rayjenkins posted:

Yeah, if I'm playing with a coordinated group, I'm usually leaps and bounds ahead on a lot of damage metrics. It probably helps that I have a blue Beam Staff with regrowth and knockback as well as a blue flaming sword with regrowth and berserking though.

I just tried nightmare for the first time and this changes once you have to worry about friendly fire. Too scared of killin my bros I couldn't really let everything burn.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
When does the full version unlock?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Al Borland posted:

I've really begun to notice when things go bad its 99% of the time the elf's fault in game
So yes, blame the elf.

If you live in the city go outside at about 2am with a spear and start shouting, "For the emperor!" as you stab them.

So my main complaint about the game right now is the sewers. There's no tomes, no grimoires that I'm aware of. Beyond doing it once or twice why would I want to do it? Sure it's fast but bonus dice are nice!

Now, i don't necessarily want tomes, but some kind of optional quests or things to do would be interesting and nice.

You already said why. It's fast. Good if you don't have time to do a full game, or don't want to rely on the whims of the pubbies for a full length map.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Tokubetsu posted:

I just tried nightmare for the first time and this changes once you have to worry about friendly fire. Too scared of killin my bros I couldn't really let everything burn.

learn to aim, use your sword more, and use the conflagaration staff; it causes no team damage with the alt fire.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tokubetsu posted:

The AoE attacks on the beam and conflag staves do not cause friendly fire. Burn away.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Arcsquad12 posted:

So unless you have armor piercing, how can you deal with Stormvermin? It seems sword and board Kruber is not very good at fighting them.

sword and board is best at fighting them. Slam em back and let your comrades beat the poo poo out of them.

Also I'mma speak on the moon thing. Yeah we know its all canon slam into earth bullshit. But, it turning green is 100% because that whole moon is filled with orcs having a giant intercontinental Waaaagh

Improbable Lobster posted:

Space Marines alone sell more than every Fantasy army combined, so NOPE

maybe its because fantasy is bullshit unfun measuring everything you do to play?
Skaven have it half right skirmish is the way to go.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
My very first blue drop in this game: A 50% reload speed boost Handgun for Kruber, with a 30% knockback chance as well.

Yep. Not replacing that any time soon.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You lucky, lucky son of a bitch.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Captain Oblivious posted:

My very first blue drop in this game: A 50% reload speed boost Handgun for Kruber, with a 30% knockback chance as well.

Yep. Not replacing that any time soon.

That first mod is real good for that gun. The second less so since there's no gain to pushing back a corpse

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
A friend got a trinket that shares any potion you drink with everybody within 15 feet.

It's pretty loving insane. I want it.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Fans posted:

A friend got a trinket that shares any potion you drink with everybody within 15 feet.

wowwwww

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Fans posted:

Yeah, turns mighty mice into chumps.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Found a blue blunderbuss with chance for ammo on kill and -40% spread, wonder if I could run that thing fulltime if I take out 3-4 rats per shot.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Drakes posted:

Found a blue blunderbuss with chance for ammo on kill and -40% spread, wonder if I could run that thing fulltime if I take out 3-4 rats per shot.

I bet a blunderbuss with +reload speed would be fun.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Good Citizen posted:

That first mod is real good for that gun. The second less so since there's no gain to pushing back a corpse

It is no coincidence that I listed the second mod as an afterthought.

But the first is so good that I ain't even give a gently caress :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So what do strength potions do? Just increase your damage?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Captain Oblivious posted:

It is no coincidence that I listed the second mod as an afterthought.

But the first is so good that I ain't even give a gently caress :v:

sending a corpse flying is reward enough.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So what do strength potions do? Just increase your damage?

On absolutely everything, too. So taking one before you fling a bomb at a stormvermin patrol is hilarious.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Musluk posted:

I agree with you, but from my experience during the closed beta and the preorder beta, they do. Now, noticing the whispering while the music is rolling and people are shouting is another matter.

They absolutely do not start whispering upon spawn. They can phase between rooftops, though, and if you are moving at all, that's frequently what they do to catch up to you or lose tracking. If they attack directly upon spawning you sometimes do not have any warning. This is part of what happened to me and Stormgale with the bad luck runs he was referring to a page or two back.

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah, having no say in a death is exactly the point at times. It's very much what gives this game a lot of its atmosfear ( :haw: )

Host migration and checkpoints aren't exactly the same thing. Yes, internally they might be checkpoint saving your progress for host migration, but outside of that instance I don't want a progression checkpoint system. This goes back to my first point being a good portion of the charm of this game is the sudden death scenario. It adds a bit of urgency to everything too. You don't like it that's fine, but I think you're in the minority here.
Considering there's someone complaining about a 'bullshit death' or 'wasted time' practically every page I definitely don't think I'm 'in the minority'. I also don't think you bothered reading half my post since my problem isn't the fact that this stuff can happen, it's the fact that it happens on Normal and even Easy. With alarming regularity, considering the posts.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 23, 2015

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Coolguye posted:

They absolutely do not start whispering upon spawn. They can phase between rooftops, though, and if you are moving at all, that's frequently what they do to catch up to you or lose tracking. If they attack directly upon spawning you sometimes do not have any warning.

Considering there's someone complaining about a 'bullshit death' or 'wasted time' practically every page I definitely don't think I'm 'in the minority'. I also don't think you bothered reading half my post since my problem isn't the fact that this stuff can happen, it's the fact that it happens on Normal and even Easy. With alarming regularity, considering the posts.

Yeah, despite the whole Warhammer/Doom-and-Gloom atmosphere it's still a game, meaning it has to have SOME kind of element of fairness or predictability to it. I'm fine with horrible bullshit happening in the higher difficulties, that's what they're for, but on a Normal run there are certain combos that are nearly impossible to deal with unless everyone has spotted special spawns as soon as they arrive and are in an appropriate position to respond to it.

Still loving the game though. Loving the Witch Hunter so much that I haven't bothered to play anything else.

Also it's really true: the worst pugs are the elves.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Good Citizen posted:

When does the full version unlock?

The 23rd. So today or tomorrow depending on where you live.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How do I highlight enemies and stuff?

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

So I'll probably keep playing this game. It can't hold a candle to left4dead but I have played Left4Dead to death.

It's like they took all the ideas from L4D without any of the nuance and futher applicable thinking that made L4D work. But it's better than nothing I suppose.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Night10194 posted:

It's called 'ping' in the keybinds... I rebound it and I can't remember the original key.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Night10194 posted:

T is the default. I rebound it to F cause only the forge uses that.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Fans posted:

This trinket is super good. The aoe heal you get cures people from bleeding out, its nuts.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I've spent the last 4 hours playing the game. It doesn't take very long to figure out game mechanics for me, so it goes without saying there is definitely not a 'minority' of people who think this game is horribly balanced with a downright bullshit level of difficulty. It's shocking the game is going to release in this state too.

I've only won two games. Every single other game I've played tonight has ended under the heel of a stormvermin that's dropped on top of me or my much better equipped teammates being taken away by two packrats they had no chance of avoiding in a swarming crowd. That particular group had collected all tomes & grimoires, had it all by the numbers, and were likely geared up. They had a victory they deserved completely snatched away by the uncapped special spawns. That was about 20 minutes wasted for them with no reward to speak of. Another game I played, a Storm Patrol spawns on the bridge into the magnus tower. Before anyone can figure out what happened, two people get cleaved and go down instantly and the other two get swarmed and pushed around by 5 super rats. Also in some other game where two AI were present, a gatling gunner spawned outside of the point of no return and broke the AI pathing as a gutter runner used me for a high school dissection project.

The loot system is bad and you should be able to find gear and items in chests and off enemies, though I hear leveling up gives you some stuff. Which, I mean, would be great if I could actually level up and succeed in missions, but YMMV. As a gamer in the year of our lord 2015 I like wasting my time and having to slog through a half an hour worth of content and getting dicked over the same exact way several times in a row and get gently caress all for it, so I don't know why I or anyone else would complain about it.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Sorry to tell you, but all of those (apart from the bot pathfinding) are on the players loving up or overestimating their abilites.

Stormvermin are not a huge threat if you deal with them properly and getting caught by a patrol is 100% the players' fault.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

LemonAIDS posted:

This trinket is super good. The aoe heal you get cures people from bleeding out, its nuts.

Items that heal on hit also get you out of bleeding out, which is pretty nice if you have a fast firing weapon and +health on hit.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Dezztroy posted:

Sorry to tell you, but all of those (apart from the bot pathfinding) are on the players loving up or overestimating their abilites.

Stormvermin are not a huge threat if you deal with them properly and getting caught by a patrol is 100% the players' fault.

I dunno getting 3/4 members of your team incapped within 2 seconds is kinda bullshit (2x packmaster + gutter runner), especially when it usually happens during a swarm. Stormvermin are kinda annoying because they either don't matter (When not fighting a horde they basically are a free kill if your elf/dwarf/soldier is on the ball) or massively frustrating when they hit inside a massive pack especially in duplicates.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Keep in mind that the Stormvermin exist as a way to slow down your run, rushing forward through the level will often times lead you straight into a bunch of armoured rats who know what they're doing, and they pretty much just spawned in. Tomes and Grimoires are also part of that idea, they weaken you or give you less tactical leeway for the chance at better loot. People seem to think of them as being the full run, but they're more of a handicapped run and there's no guarantee of you living after you grab them. You can survive two packmasters, but when you've only got 1/3rd of your health and no one can carry healing potions it's much less likely.

The loot system needs work, though. You get loot so slowly and you have no control over what you get, which is really frustrating. Over rolling and getting something you don't want just feels awful.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 23, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dezztroy posted:

Unless I read it wrong, the patrol spawned so close to them that avoiding them was not possible, which has definitely happened to me in Smuggler's Run in that one big room. Stormvermin patrol spawned like 20 feet away, me and my friend heard one marching grunt and then they were on us.

Fortunately we had bombs so it didn't end in a wipe, but that one was a dick move.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There probably should be a cap on incap enemies at once, but my group and I are usually bumbling our way through (albeit often by the skin of our teeth) and I'm playing with a guy whose PC barely runs the game, a guy who never plays first person action games, and whatever random pub joins us.

Opening the door on Wizard's Tower to find a full Stormvermin patrol behind the bookshelf was unpleasant, though.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
There can be some bullshit patrol spawns, yeah, but I highly doubt those are intended and consider them bugs.

Gutter Runner pouncing someone when you're all sticking together is a non-issue since you can just shoot/smack him before he does any real damage. Packmasters can be a real issue, true, they mentioned in the AMA that they might nerf them somehow. Even then, getting two packmasters is far from a game-over unless you're doing full tome/grimoire runs on nightmare+ in which case what were you expecting?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Dezztroy posted:

There can be some bullshit patrol spawns, yeah, but I highly doubt those are intended and consider them bugs.

Gutter Runner pouncing someone when you're all sticking together is a non-issue since you can just shoot/smack him before he does any real damage. Packmasters can be a real issue, true, they mentioned in the AMA that they might nerf them somehow. Even then, getting two packmasters is far from a game-over unless you're doing full tome/grimoire runs on nightmare+ in which case what were you expecting?

I had a hard run Horn of Magnus end on the 'carry the barrels' part. We had a man down and THREE simultaneous packmaster spawns.

In retrospect it's pretty funny.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Two pack masters and a gutter runner (which happens quite frequently, even on normal) can definitely end a run, though, especially if they attack with clanrats around. Which, they're pack masters, they frequently do. I've also seen 2 Pack Master and 2 Gutter Runner on about 4 or 5 separate occasions at Hard or below, too, which, well, that's an alpha wipe right there. I've had a run end because 2x Gutter 2x PM hit my team in 3 seconds from first disable to last disable, during a horde event. That's at least as bullshit as a patrol popping in. So is that unintended? Is that a bug?

You can call bullshit patrol spawns bugs, but it's all just another instance of how specials are hosed up as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

man i guess the warhammer fantasy franchise has really been... left 4 dead

• Locked thread