Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sh4 posted:

Don't know about that but silver is the best color for 996's imo

Not gonna lie, when detailed right, silver does not look bad on them. It's just soooooo common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

fknlo posted:

Not gonna lie, when detailed right, silver does not look bad on them. It's just soooooo common.

When I was looking for my 986, my only set-in-stone color choice was "not silver". Way too common, as you say, and not particularly interesting on it even if it wasn't the model's signature color.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Bajaha posted:

Buy a silver one and pay a couple thousand for an obnoxious colored vinyl wrap?

I really really want need to own a Carrera 4S sometime in the future but current Porsche owners are crazy with their valuations. It looks like the best "value" for buying them is right after the initial depreciation hit before they level off because they'll "totally appreciate in value, just you see" (confirm/deny?)

It just means I'll have to wait longer to afford a newer one :(

And yeah, why does it seem like there's an overabundance of silver cars on the road? It's like the streets are monochrome, barely ever see any fun colors around locally, not only for Porsches but in general as well.

I think the 996 to 997 really messed with the used valuations. For a long time anyone who wanted a 911 wanted one from before 1998 or later than 2005. It was great if you wanted a cheap 996, but it's kept the 997 prices boosted since people are willing to pay a little extra for the desirability of them relative to the 996. Maybe there will be a little bit of appreciation relative to the 997 as people start to "settle" for the 996?

Sh4 posted:

Wrong. Speed Yellow. Fact.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
The best Porsche colour is def Ultraviolet

If you can't appreciate this, you're dead inside

For 996's my favourite colour is still their Blue

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DrakeriderCa posted:

The best Porsche colour is def Ultraviolet

If you can't appreciate this, you're dead inside

For 996's my favourite colour is still their Blue

I always build the GT3 RS in ultraviolet. It's the only real choice.

And yeah, I'd love to find a Lapis or Midnight Blue car.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I also have to pay respect to Irish Green, my favourite air cooled colour. :allears:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

My Friday just got a lot more interesting. I'm going to look at the 996 buyers guide on Rennlist; anything you guys recommend I pay attention to in particular?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blk posted:

My Friday just got a lot more interesting. I'm going to look at the 996 buyers guide on Rennlist; anything you guys recommend I pay attention to in particular?

Receipts for the IMS bearing with attention being paid to a proper repair vs. replacing it with a stock part that's just gonna do the same thing again.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
For $13k it's not going to have the IMS bearing changed. If that car is your jam then rock it until the wheels fall off. Just know the engine running is worth more than the whole car and enjoy it.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Motronic posted:

Receipts for the IMS bearing with attention being paid to a proper repair vs. replacing it with a stock part that's just gonna do the same thing again.

At 120,000 miles, if the bearing was going to fail, it would have failed by now, wouldn't it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AbbiTheDog posted:

At 120,000 miles, if the bearing was going to fail, it would have failed by now, wouldn't it?

No.

But the ad SAYS IT WAS REPLACED.

So that's baked into the dudes price. There should be receipts to prove it. Otherwise it's a negotiating position to work him down. Also a negotiating position if it was replaced with the same thing and/or no safety cutoff installed (whatever those things were called.....it's been a while).

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Motronic posted:

No.

But the ad SAYS IT WAS REPLACED.

So that's baked into the dudes price. There should be receipts to prove it. Otherwise it's a negotiating position to work him down. Also a negotiating position if it was replaced with the same thing and/or no safety cutoff installed (whatever those things were called.....it's been a while).

Well, guess I skipped the bottom of the ad. Or maybe he didn't replace it, he just bought it and left it in the glovebox.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Well, the way it's worded, he might just be stating that it has an IMS bearing as a feature :v:

God drat people, they don't charge you by the letter, put some thought and effort into your multi thousand dollar for-sale ad :argh:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So since I feel the need to check again, the IMS on a 2001 turbo is the oil fed kind not a ball bearing and doesn't have the common failure. I've always thought this and if I'm wrong I'm going to have it replaced before winter.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Bajaha posted:

Well, the way it's worded, he might just be stating that it has an IMS bearing as a feature :v:

seats steering wheel brakes floor mats

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

So since I feel the need to check again, the IMS on a 2001 turbo is the oil fed kind not a ball bearing and doesn't have the common failure. I've always thought this and if I'm wrong I'm going to have it replaced before winter.

The IMS issue is not a thing with turbo cars.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Sh4 posted:

Agreed. The cars don't look nearly as aged in Silver.

Prices on non-turbo 996s are entering the silly level, much like when 355's were in the 50's.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Did early 997s still have ims issues? Specifically the S versions. Considering expanding my search with some C2S action, but probably not if that's an issue.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

fknlo posted:

Did early 997s still have ims issues? Specifically the S versions. Considering expanding my search with some C2S action, but probably not if that's an issue.

997.1 yes.
997.1 no.

997.1 was 2005-2008 and 06-08 had a different IMS bearing design that did not fail as often.*

* 2005 IMS bearing - good on track, bad on street
2006-2008 IMS bearing - good on street, bad on track

Find a 997.1 that had the bearing addressed and drive happy. Or find a shop that does the IMS fix from Flat6 Innovations (http://flat6innovations.com/), it's not that expensive.

Food for thought: The 997.2 base Carrera makes 10hp less but has the newer DFI engine and updated electronics/lights/interior. If I was looking at the 997.1 C2S I'd go with the 997.2 C2 any day. Lots of threads on Rennlist about that debate.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

997.1 yes.
997.1 no.

997.1 was 2005-2008 and 06-08 had a different IMS bearing design that did not fail as often.*

* 2005 IMS bearing - good on track, bad on street

Find a 997.1 that had the bearing addressed and drive happy. Or find a shop that does the IMS fix from Flat6 Innovations (http://flat6innovations.com/), it's not that expensive.

Food for thought: The 997.2 base Carrera makes 10hp less but has the newer DFI engine and updated electronics/lights/interior. If I was looking at the 997.1 C2S I'd go with the 997.2 C2 any day. Lots of threads on Rennlist about that debate.

I've been trying to do some reading on the various forums. I asked about the IMS issues because there really is a whole lot of conflicting information as far as 997's go. One of the independent shops I've been to here even told me they'd never seen a 997 have an IMS failure so they didn't believe it was an issue. I'll have to take a look at the base 997.2 as I hadn't really considered them. I'll try and find some local cars and go for test drives to see what I think. They're still all quite a bit of money for what you're getting, but I still want a 911, so whatever. I'm still looking at 996TT's too.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

fknlo posted:

I've been trying to do some reading on the various forums. I asked about the IMS issues because there really is a whole lot of conflicting information as far as 997's go. One of the independent shops I've been to here even told me they'd never seen a 997 have an IMS failure so they didn't believe it was an issue. I'll have to take a look at the base 997.2 as I hadn't really considered them. I'll try and find some local cars and go for test drives to see what I think. They're still all quite a bit of money for what you're getting, but I still want a 911, so whatever. I'm still looking at 996TT's too.

I did a little more research:

The M96 was the 3.6L in production from 1998 to 2008.
The M97 was the 3.8L in production from 2005 to 2008.

Both the M96 and M97 had the old and new IMS bearing design. The switchover happened sometime between the MY05 and MY06 cars. What I mentioned in the last post about the old and new bearings is true. Old wears out on the street (meaning it is ideal for high RPMs) and the new bearing design wears out on the track (good at lower RPMs on the street).

Where it gets fun is the older IMS bearing design is relatively easy to replace. It can be done during a clutch change. The new IMS bearing design requires an engine teardown. Jake Raby at Flat6 Innovations said they had not seen a failure on the newer IMS bearing. So just don't track the 2006-2008 cars and you're, most likely, going to be fine. That creates a situation where it might be best to pick up an early 2005 C2S and get the IMS fix done yourself.

Or just get a 997.2 C2 and call it a day. Back when I was doing the research there wasn't a huge difference in what the S got that the base did not. C2S comes with more standard equipment but the functional difference I found was that the brake discs are a few mm thinner but same diameter, same calipers, etc etc. You'd want the PASM so you get the -10mm ride height that doesn't look like a 4x4 or just save the money and get Techart lowering springs to clean up the look. And a Sharkwerks center muffler kit with tips to get rid of those awful oval tips on base cars.

Essentially, you won't miss the 10hp from the 997.1 C2S to the 997.2 C2. Bonus option for ventilated seats, updated electronics, and super fancy headlights that turn with the steering wheel. My Spyder had the dynamic headlights, it's amazingly helpful at night.

Links:

http://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/730388-all-this-talk-about-m96-vs-m97-what-s-the-straight-dope.html

See page 9 and 10:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93289189/Porsche_Engine_Codes_1952-2012.pdf

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Essentially, you won't miss the 10hp from the 997.1 C2S to the 997.2 C2. Bonus option for ventilated seats, updated electronics, and super fancy headlights that turn with the steering wheel. My Spyder had the dynamic headlights, it's amazingly helpful at night.

Ah, so you were the one with the Spyder. I was asking around a few months ago when I was shopping to try to get your impressions, mostly over whether the Spyder was worth it over later 987s. The top didn't bother me, but I didn't know if the rest of the improvements added up to a significantly different experience than the normal cars, or now to 981s.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thanks! I'll definitely keep all that in mind. Knowing all that I guess I really wouldn't have much of an issue getting a base 997.2 if it had most of the options I wanted.

I'm also going to keep an eye out for 997.1 esses with the X51 package. They don't seem to be very common though. There was a bit of a fuss on Rennlist recently as a dealer got a 2007 C2S that the PO had an X51 engine put in at his own cost after the stock blew and nothing else was available. They put it up for $40k and it sold really quick. Basically a brand new engine that cost more than the car sold for to put in... :psyduck:

So doing a bit of searching I've found a 2005 C2S X51 with a touch under $40k miles listed at $43k. I'd seriously consider that if I could talk them down a bit on price.

e: running that car through the VIN decoder doesn't show that car as being an X51...

fknlo fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 31, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Isn't that what bit einTier in the rear end?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

Ah, so you were the one with the Spyder. I was asking around a few months ago when I was shopping to try to get your impressions, mostly over whether the Spyder was worth it over later 987s. The top didn't bother me, but I didn't know if the rest of the improvements added up to a significantly different experience than the normal cars, or now to 981s.

In a word, yes. It didn't have the power it needed but I'm surprised Porsche allowed it to be so good. It was definitely a car that was greater than the sum of its parts. If you got it in the ideal spec you were in the low 2800lb range. It came with the GT2 buckets, aluminum panels, the lightest 19" wheels Porsche made at the time, and bespoke bodywork. I read that the suspension package used on the Spyder was the first iteration of what became the X73 suspension package (lower, non-adjustable, lighter) on the 981. That was really the piece that set the Spyder apart, the suspension was so well tuned.

I think I posted about it before but there was a track day at Arizona Motorsport Park that I did in the Spyder. I was originally asked to leave the track because the Lotus was too loud. I asked if I could come back with my stock exhaust Boxster and they said yes. Long story short I put down exactly the same lap time in the Spyder as I did in the Lotus at that track the year before (with no sound restrictions so full power/RPMS). The difference was it was almost effortless. I got out of that car with a huge smile on my face. When I'd finish a session in the Lotus I felt like I just spent 20 minutes wrestling it to do what I want. One could argue that it might be more fun to wrestle a car on the track where you earn every single tenth you shave but in that moment I was on cloud 9.

To put it another way:

Lotus: 275whp/175wtq/1960lbs
Spyder: ~285whp/250wtq/2850lbs

Same time. Limitation of the driver? Possible. Also the Lotus was on AO48s and the Spyder on worn out street tires. But I'd put a lot of that down to the suspension.

I'd get another Spyder before I'd get a 981 that wasn't a GT4. It was a very special car.

There was a Rennlist guy by the name of Orthojoe that heavily tracked his Spyder and documented the crap out of it. Don't visit this page if you're on the fence about buying one: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheEvoXMR?&ab_channel=TrackDayFun

fknlo posted:

Thanks! I'll definitely keep all that in mind. Knowing all that I guess I really wouldn't have much of an issue getting a base 997.2 if it had most of the options I wanted.

I'm also going to keep an eye out for 997.1 esses with the X51 package. They don't seem to be very common though. There was a bit of a fuss on Rennlist recently as a dealer got a 2007 C2S that the PO had an X51 engine put in at his own cost after the stock blew and nothing else was available. They put it up for $40k and it sold really quick. Basically a brand new engine that cost more than the car sold for to put in... :psyduck:

So doing a bit of searching I've found a 2005 C2S X51 with a touch under $40k miles listed at $43k. I'd seriously consider that if I could talk them down a bit on price.

e: running that car through the VIN decoder doesn't show that car as being an X51...

If you can get an X51 in the low 40s I'd say that's a pretty solid buy. Remember it's 300-400lbs lighter than a 996 turbo and is only down ~35hp. Of course that's painfully ignoring the fact that a Cobb tune can get a 996 TT within spitting distance of 500hp without much work.

What sites do you use to search for cars? I'm still in the casual shopping phase but 2016 is approaching quickly and I need to make up my mind. On any given week I'm floating between 997.1 TT, 991 C2S, and 997.1 GT3. All I'm using to search at the moment is Autotrader with glances at Rennlist and 6SpeedOnline every so often.

I feel like this may be my last opportunity in the next 10 years to pick up something awesome. I've wanted a GT3 for so long but it's very easy for the pragmatic side of me to talk myself out of it. Six years ago I'd just say gently caress it and buy a Lotus as my daily and figure out the storage situation after I bought groceries.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Isn't that what bit einTier in the rear end?

Exactly. It's a shame too because the 987.1 CS is getting ridiculously cheap and can be made into an excellent track car with a smattering of GT3 suspension bits.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

In a word, yes. It didn't have the power it needed but I'm surprised Porsche allowed it to be so good. It was definitely a car that was greater than the sum of its parts. If you got it in the ideal spec you were in the low 2800lb range. It came with the GT2 buckets, aluminum panels, the lightest 19" wheels Porsche made at the time, and bespoke bodywork. I read that the suspension package used on the Spyder was the first iteration of what became the X73 suspension package (lower, non-adjustable, lighter) on the 981. That was really the piece that set the Spyder apart, the suspension was so well tuned.

I'd get another Spyder before I'd get a 981 that wasn't a GT4. It was a very special car.

Of all the cars I test drove in this last round, it was one that stood out as very obviously well-tuned and a strong communicator. I plan to get one at some point down the road, as long as prices stay sane on them.
If the one I drove had been white and not silver, I think I would have done it. The only things I didn't like were the big steering wheel and the rubbery shifter.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

If you can get an X51 in the low 40s I'd say that's a pretty solid buy. Remember it's 300-400lbs lighter than a 996 turbo and is only down ~35hp. Of course that's painfully ignoring the fact that a Cobb tune can get a 996 TT within spitting distance of 500hp without much work.

What sites do you use to search for cars?

If I get a 996 Turbo I'll honestly be pretty hesitant to do mods to it. Gonna be worth more stock, etc... I'm pretty sure I'd be more than happy with an X51. Not sure how common they are, but there aren't a whole lot of them up for sale at the moment. I'm just assuming it's going to be rare since it was like a $16k upgrade. I wish a GT3 were realistically in my price range as it's basically my "attainable" dream car. Unfortunately I'm just not willing to spend that much money on one.

I've been pretty much using the same sites as you in my search. Autotrader, rennlist, 6speedonline, carmax every now and then, and then craigslist. Get the search whittled down to whatever you want on craigslist and then you can search the region fairly easily by just changing the front part of the address to whatever city you want. There are some that are weird, but most of them are pretty obvious as to what they are and it basically just carries over your criteria to each city.

e: I need to go drive some Cayman's as well. I don't particularly care for the looks of the 987 and the 981's are not quite in my price range yet but I still need to drive at least one.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 1, 2015

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Turns out VW put emission-cheater devices in some Porsches too.

Guardian posted:

The new allegations include the 2015 Porsche Cayenne as well as the 2014 VW Touareg and the 2016 Audi A6 Quattro, A7 Quattro, A8, A8L, and Q5. In total, it involves 10,000 vehicles in the US. VW has already admitted fitting a defeat device to 11m vehicles worldwide, but this related to cars with smaller engines and did not include any Porsche cars or sports utility vehicles (SUVs).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack Baruth weighed in on the Singer phenomenon:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/11/no-fixed-abode-singer-song-sixpence/

I mostly feel the same way, but he really took it too far with the 2-Porsche ownership appeal to authority. I kinda made me want to buy two just to comment.
There was a mix of opinions in the chat thread about what if any obligations an owner has to the perceived car enthusiast community over a car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
If I won the lottery I'd be on the phone to Singer pretty much first thing.

I'm still searching for a car of course. Still focusing on 996TT's. Asking prices have definitely increased since I've started looking by at least a couple thousand dollars. I'm definitely becoming less hopeful of finding one in a condition I want at the price point I want.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

kimbo305 posted:

Jack Baruth weighed in on the Singer phenomenon:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/11/no-fixed-abode-singer-song-sixpence/

I mostly feel the same way, but he really took it too far with the 2-Porsche ownership appeal to authority. I kinda made me want to buy two just to comment.
There was a mix of opinions in the chat thread about what if any obligations an owner has to the perceived car enthusiast community over a car.

The problem with the "these cars are thin on the ground you need to restore them to original" attitude is that it's a slippery slope that leads to a lot of cars perpetually on a trailer or under a sheet. When I was restoring my 66' Yamaha I went to some vintage meets and that attitude was creeping in fast. Some were aghast that I was mixing and matching period parts, and others that I was even riding it. That type of thinking brings in people who treat lovely old vehicles like a Lego Star Destroyer; A thing to be built and displayed, but never touched. They're not car people they're museum curators.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
A steal for only 7k!

http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1967-porsche-912-c-5027.htm

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

8ender posted:

The problem with the "these cars are thin on the ground you need to restore them to original" attitude is that it's a slippery slope that leads to a lot of cars perpetually on a trailer or under a sheet. When I was restoring my 66' Yamaha I went to some vintage meets and that attitude was creeping in fast. Some were aghast that I was mixing and matching period parts, and others that I was even riding it. That type of thinking brings in people who treat lovely old vehicles like a Lego Star Destroyer; A thing to be built and displayed, but never touched. They're not car people they're museum curators.

The other big problem is that apart from a few special models and the original, 1964-73 cars (and even then not all of those), the 911 is not rare enough to warrant that kind of special treatment, and likely never will be either.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

MrChips posted:

The other big problem is that apart from a few special models and the original, 1964-73 cars (and even then not all of those), the 911 is not rare enough to warrant that kind of special treatment, and likely never will be either.

Unless the market makes them artificially rare, which is what we're seeing now. Whoever thought 996s would be in demand?

Personally if I ever won the lottery I'd buy a Singer and drive the piss out of it. Daily driver. Same with a lot of other classic and rare cars.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Found an X50 car on Autotrader. In Illinois so not terribly far from me, <20k miles. Listed for $46k. :crossarms:

Gonna give them a call tomorrow. Rennlist seems to think it's a car that a forum member had that had a bad rotten egg smell from the exhaust. Must be pretty bad at that mileage/price.

There's also a lower mileage X50 car that is obviously a scam since it's listed at $35k and has popped up twice tonight listed with different dealers.

I am also slowly coming to the realization that I might have to go with a silver car to get something in my price range. They're definitely cheaper than other colors.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

fknlo posted:

Found an X50 car on Autotrader. In Illinois so not terribly far from me, <20k miles. Listed for $46k. :crossarms:

Gonna give them a call tomorrow. Rennlist seems to think it's a car that a forum member had that had a bad rotten egg smell from the exhaust. Must be pretty bad at that mileage/price.

There's also a lower mileage X50 car that is obviously a scam since it's listed at $35k and has popped up twice tonight listed with different dealers.

I am also slowly coming to the realization that I might have to go with a silver car to get something in my price range. They're definitely cheaper than other colors.

Just saw this, seems like a pretty decent deal--maybe too good of a deal? https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/5284598835.html

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Someone probably died in that 40 years ago.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

howling_mad posted:

Just saw this, seems like a pretty decent deal--maybe too good of a deal? https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/5284598835.html

I honestly have no idea what kind of deal that might be. I've seen a lot of base 996's in the low to mid $20k range but have no real idea what pricing on them is. Doesn't seem like a horrible price though.

That X50 car in Illinois was definitely bought back by the manufacturer at 11k miles. I'm just assuming that's why it's priced so low? That doesn't seem like a huge knock if you have documentation that it was for a smell from the exhaust, especially if there is now no smell from the exhaust. They're closed today so I can't call them for more info.

Also came across this car in St. Louis. More miles than I've really looked at, but with that service history I might be pretty interested at about $40k if they could be talked down that far. It looks as clean as the black 22k mile car I looked at. In pictures at least. Probably doesn't smell like farts either.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

fknlo posted:

I honestly have no idea what kind of deal that might be. I've seen a lot of base 996's in the low to mid $20k range but have no real idea what pricing on them is. Doesn't seem like a horrible price though.

No one should pay more than $15k for a base 996 right now. If you do, you're both buying the least-desirable 911 on the planet, and a fool parting with his money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Is it at all possible to get a set of wheels for a Cayman that aren't silver or black and that cost less than $2,000? Is powder coating an acceptable thing to do?