Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
what happened to pagancow? did the power finally corrupt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
killed in a horrible transcoding accident. cores everywhere, dram and viscera embedded in the ceiling. the coroner marked the official cause of death and outdated version of ffmpeg. :rip:

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

anthonypants posted:

get a load of this idiot

lowtax doesn't even ban people who adblock his own website, something awful dot com

posted from my anroid telephone, from an app which does not display ads

that's irrelevant, lowtax has made the choice for himself that he doesn't mind adblocking for his own content, this does not mean he supports the wholesale piracy of everyone else's

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

dazjw posted:

i thought the sa forums banned discussion of piracy, which is what using apps that strip youtube ads is

does white knighting the advertising company you work for get you extra money or are you just being a bootlicker?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

DaNzA posted:

he is pooning noobs in the Beyond

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
let me try something:

ahem...

vlc is good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Management posted:

blocking ads is a moral imperative. block all ads.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

if you dont block ads youre a piece of poo poo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Snapchat A Titty posted:

if you dont block ads youre a piece of poo poo

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Alphabet investors have been scroogled again! Alphabet announced this quarter's earnings and it's only a few hundred million over expected earnings. http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/22/alphabet-earnings-735-per-share-vs-expected-eps-of-721.html This terrible news has caused the stock price to rise significantly as people holding stock try to get rid of their stock before the price goes even higher.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

alphabet poop

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Yaos posted:

Alphabet investors have been scroogled again! Alphabet announced this quarter's earnings and it's only a few hundred million over expected earnings. http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/22/alphabet-earnings-735-per-share-vs-expected-eps-of-721.html This terrible news has caused the stock price to rise significantly as people holding stock try to get rid of their stock before the price goes even higher.

$5 billion stock buyback lol

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/23/technology/google-q3-earnings-alphabet.html?ref=technology

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

"Typical of a company filled with engineers, the buyback was encased in a riddle, with an exact value of $5,099,019,513.59, which mirrors the square root of 26, as in the 26 letters of the alphabet."

also if you don't block ads literally everywhere possible you are bad for taking jobs away from the job creators who design new ad products.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shifty Pony posted:

"Typical of a company filled with engineers, the buyback was encased in a riddle, with an exact value of $5,099,019,513.59, which mirrors the square root of 26, as in the 26 letters of the alphabet."

:jerkbag:

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
companies that don't round off at the millions place are the worst. their accountants got scroogled.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DaNzA posted:

I killed him.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

madeupfred posted:

I killed him.
does that mean we can permaban him or does it mean we get to perma both you and pagancow

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shifty Pony posted:

"Typical of a company filled with engineers

:jerkbag:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

engineers' fault for not trademarking the name like REALTORS™

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 23, 2015

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
typical company filled with engineers does things logically. company run by manchildren uses a five billion dollar stock repurchase program as a reason to make a "clever" joke about the company name. I bet the engineers are slapping their foreheads at this

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

also if you don't block ads literally everywhere possible you are bad for taking jobs away from the job creators who design new ad products.

i work for one of the world's largest marketing conglomerates.

block all ads.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
People who don't block ads are paying the idiot tax that allows the rest of us to enjoy the Internet

Otoh they keep poo poo like upworthy and huffpo spewing their bile and garbage

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

The Management posted:

typical company filled with engineers does things logically

god help you if your company is run by engineers

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ArmZ posted:

or employs them or considers them human

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Management posted:

typical company filled with engineers does things logically. company run by manchildren uses a five billion dollar stock repurchase program as a reason to make a "clever" joke about the company name. I bet the engineers are slapping their foreheads at this

there are no engineers at AlphabetGoogle™

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ArmZ posted:

agreed but for other reasons. like making products that engineers want

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

companies that don't round off at the millions place are the worst. their accountants got scroogled.
I think accountants generally only get to round at the end btw

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

dazjw posted:

i thought the sa forums banned discussion of piracy, which is what using apps that strip youtube ads is

:golfclap:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

NO

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

That is NOT ok. We do not encourage this behavior. BAD poster. Bad!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i've started to get neverending "multiple correct solutions required" captchas.

like i solve 5-6 of them in a row and it still shows me a new one beep boop

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Wheany posted:

i've started to get neverending "multiple correct solutions required" captchas.

like i solve 5-6 of them in a row and it still shows me a new one beep boop

change your user agent away from Google Bot

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

google embracing that they're a mature company in decline

Alphabet Inc. signaled more restraint on spending, in its first quarterly regulatory filing as the restructured Google.

In the filing late Thursday, Alphabet said it expects future research-and-development expenses to “fluctuate” as a percentage of revenue. That is a change from the previous quarterly filing, in which Google said R&D spending “may increase” as a percentage of revenue.

Alphabet made the same change in its latest quarterly filing for sales and marketing expenses, signaling that spending is more likely to grow in line with revenue, rather than increase at a faster pace.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

cremnob posted:

google embracing that they're a mature company in decline

Alphabet Inc. signaled more restraint on spending, in its first quarterly regulatory filing as the restructured Google.

In the filing late Thursday, Alphabet said it expects future research-and-development expenses to “fluctuate” as a percentage of revenue. That is a change from the previous quarterly filing, in which Google said R&D spending “may increase” as a percentage of revenue.

Alphabet made the same change in its latest quarterly filing for sales and marketing expenses, signaling that spending is more likely to grow in line with revenue, rather than increase at a faster pace.

what part of this newfound restraint involves vanity stock buybacks referencing their new name?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Google’s new ‘Who’s Down’ app shows which of your friends are free to hang out

http://9to5google.com/2015/10/30/googles-new-whos-down-app-shows-which-of-your-friends-are-free-to-hang-out/

they've embraced the microsoftification completely

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

cremnob posted:

http://9to5google.com/2015/10/30/googles-new-whos-down-app-shows-which-of-your-friends-are-free-to-hang-out/

Hey, I'm down for tacos. Looks like Jerry's down too. Where do you guys want to meet?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cremnob posted:

a simple content change away from being the next grindr

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Google HMU with Google Play & Chill™

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

(although it seems likely that one particular thing that people are commonly “down to” do will not be found on this list)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm sure people won't converge on some item and use that to mean what everyone is thinking

• Locked thread