Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
All of my day one Xbone poo poo still works fine. So does my OG Xbox 360 and none of my 360 controllers have any stick drift, so I guess I'm some sort of Xbox hardware wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That reminds me, my Day One controller's d-pad is utter dogshit and barely functions, every time you press the directional pad in one direction it either gives you 0 pushes or 2-5 pushes, which guarantees you will miss the menu selection you were aiming at (and instead will cause you to waste 45 seconds by mistakenly launching yet another retarded 'app' to handle one tiny function like the Friends section)

It was a really awesome feature when I was playing Dark Souls 2 and every attempt to cycle my inventory was an adventure in itself.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Well, we knew what we were getting into adopting early. I don't regret it, but I am bummed about MS' customer service. The only thing I use Kinect for is "Record That." I should probably unplug it and save some electricity.

Voice control for TV is the best thing ever. Definitely give it a shot if you haven't used it before.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PhancyPants posted:

Voice control for TV is the best thing ever. Definitely give it a shot if you haven't used it before.
I tried it, I may try it again.

I want to say a few things about disc drive issues:
If you haven't tried anything, consider trying the following.

Uninstall the BluRay player app, shut down and unplug the power supply from the wall, reboot and reinstall it. This worked for me for awhile (long enough for my loving warranty to run out).

Also, this worked for me once:

quote:

Solution 1: If you use Instant-On power mode, change power modes and power cycle the console

Here's how:

Go to Settings, and then select Power & startup.

On the Power & startup screen, under Power mode, use the down arrow to select Energy-saving.
Perform a hard power cycle by holding down the console's power button for 10 seconds. Once the console has completely shut down, press the power button again to restart it.
Try your disc again. Wait a few seconds to see if the console recognizes it. If the console can now read the disc, you can revert back to Instant-On power mode.

Just a couple of ideas if you haven't tried them already.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I said it before, put the disc in enough to activate the drive catch. Hole it for a second or so, then let the drive pull the disc in.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Mmmm beetus car.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Ugh is it just me or is the Drivatar system a bunch of bullshit? Yeah I'm sure all these inexperienced forza players run the exact same goddamn stupid loving line around the track and brake at the dumbest spots. Or apparently every player in the world runs low on the straights at Indy and overshoots the corner, having to brake way up the track. Oh let's not forget how the rubberbanding is basically a switch that gets flipped whenever you're 50% the way of passing an opponent. Suddenly he's loving Ayrton Senna, braking later than humanly possible and having more grip in the corner than you, despite already being faster on the straights. Oh and they have no awareness whatsoever and constantly plow into tire barriers and get stuck there for several consecutive laps.

I think the Drivatar system is just this: if you're fast, your Drivatar is fast. If you're slow, it's slow. That's all. If it really is a bunch of complex algorithms in the "cloud", then they are really terrible at programming it (insert joke about XBone processing power here).

Carry on.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
:shrug:
My friends who drive cleanly all have clean-driving and fast Drivatars, my tardbuddies who can't not crash into everything, their Drivatars match their styles too.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ether Frenzy posted:

:shrug:
My friends who drive cleanly all have clean-driving and fast Drivatars, my tardbuddies who can't not crash into everything, their Drivatars match their styles too.

I race clean, but I've seen my drivatard at a friend's house dive bomb in to every corner

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
I honestly wonder sometimes how my drivatar races in other people's games. I'd like to spy on him sometime.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
In my experience Drivatars work about like L_Harrison described. I think it would be better if they just scrapped the idea and programmed AI. They could still pull AI names from their userbase so you dont race the same 23 other drivers every time you play single player.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Yeah I'm still having trouble with the ONE really fast car in every race. We finish +15 sec over the field, and I can't turn the difficulty up because of this one car.

Basically, you pass everything by the end of the first lap and catch 1st with a few corners remaining. It's not really much fun.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

robotsinmyhead posted:

Yeah I'm still having trouble with the ONE really fast car in every race. We finish +15 sec over the field, and I can't turn the difficulty up because of this one car.

Basically, you pass everything by the end of the first lap and catch 1st with a few corners remaining. It's not really much fun.

I have that same problem, except I've hit the wall where I can't catch him. Even with the seemingly best crew and two handling/braking/whatever boosts, I can't catch the fast guy because he starts in 1st and stays there while I have to fight through the pack first.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

My Xbox One is theoretically arriving today maybe, but certainly by the end of the week. How many guys are still interested in a Sunday series, and does anyone have any suggestions for cars or w/e?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Why not change it up from the wednesday series and make a hot-lapping contest? Have 10 or 15 minutes per track to post the best time, staggered roll-offs. Getting a clean time and traffic will come into play, might be fun.

Its been a feature in forza for years and it's used less than soccer.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
GTCC is hot and heavy tonight, and we came to realize that Argh/Shrek/PerfectGradeGT may or may not have died in the recent past. Does anyone know the story?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Not gonna make it after all, which is good because I would be driving hella angry.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

robotsinmyhead posted:

GTCC is hot and heavy tonight, and we came to realize that Argh/Shrek/PerfectGradeGT may or may not have died in the recent past. Does anyone know the story?

Holy poo poo Argh, thre's a name I have not heard in forever. Are you sure it would be recent past? I don't recall him ever being around in 4.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Cubey posted:

Holy poo poo Argh, thre's a name I have not heard in forever. Are you sure it would be recent past? I don't recall him ever being around in 4.

I didn't play much in FM4, but IIRC he was in there briefly. I forget who told me that news, but the last picture I saw of him was in a hospital bed.

He either died or went offline in some sort of Argh-like fashion - both are equally possible.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cubey posted:

If this is the guy, he seems to be alive, or at least his account is being used: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3745511&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post451116072

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I found a tuning calc I like finally: Right Hurrrr I tested it with 2 cars so far, a Ford Raptor and a Shelby Daytona and I really liked the outcome on both.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

My Xbone has arrived. I'll prolly start hosting some kind of thing 1pm every Sunday. If dudes are interested in dizzle's idea for this weekend of doing a lap time challenge rather than an outright race, I'm game. We did that a good amount in the early days of 4 and it was a lot of fun. Oh also the Forza edition Xbox One is very silly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMU33Uqap4s

Thank god it does not do that when you use the controller.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Welcome to the dark side.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Started the game up and it dumped a shitload of high-end cars and 5.2 million credits into my lap. Also one of those cars was for Forza Horizon 2 VIP; I don't even have that game let alone VIP for it but alright I guess.

Gotta say though, this replacement for the storefront is some serious bullshit.

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable

Cubey posted:

My Xbone has arrived. I'll prolly start hosting some kind of thing 1pm every Sunday. If dudes are interested in dizzle's idea for this weekend of doing a lap time challenge rather than an outright race, I'm game. We did that a good amount in the early days of 4 and it was a lot of fun. Oh also the Forza edition Xbox One is very silly

Are you EST? I'd be up for a Sunday evening (GMT) race.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I should've clarified that. I'm at Pacific time. If that's too late for Eurogoons, I can move it up an hour or two.

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable

Cubey posted:

I should've clarified that. I'm at Pacific time. If that's too late for Eurogoons, I can move it up an hour or two.

I think that's UTC -7 and I'm UTC +2 so about 9 hours difference. Which would make it 10pm, maybe an hour earlier would be ideal. Anyone else have a preference?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

That works for me. I really do hope we can get a good number of dudes together for weekend races because I primarily want to play this game in multiplayer and don't want pubbies to be my only company, as hilarious as they can be sometimes.

On an unrelated note, it looks like the Mazda Cosmo is a leaderboard car in lower classes. This fact makes me very happy, that car rocks.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 23, 2015

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cubey posted:

Awww, that's cute. Nothing wrong with that. Now I want it more.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Y'all best watch your leaderboard times, fuckers

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Leaderboard tune lol. Built not bought cubeyvore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_XNQqa4eVU

(drat front wheel drive types......)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I play Forza to drive, I couldn't give a poo poo about learning to tune when there are already dudes who are better at that than I ever will be. The only car I've ever spent time tuning was the Tesla Roadster in Forza 4 because all the storefront tunes for it were garbage.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Cubey posted:

I play Forza to drive, I couldn't give a poo poo about learning to tune when there are already dudes who are better at that than I ever will be. The only car I've ever spent time tuning was the Tesla Roadster in Forza 4 because all the storefront tunes for it were garbage.

I feel using tunes of any sort is cheating and makes you a bad person in general. This is mostly directed at BCRock, but it applies to all the rest of you as well. Drive it how the manufacturer intended it!!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ether Frenzy posted:

I feel using tunes of any sort is cheating and makes you a bad person in general. This is mostly directed at BCRock, but it applies to all the rest of you as well. Drive it how the manufacturer intended it!!

I race in mostly open wheelers. The manufactures intended to have them tuned. Same with GT cars or anything else really.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm just kidding. I just like driving the cars stock first before I bolt a tune on them, and wish the game did a better job of letting you drive stuff un-upgraded for class/specific reqs for events.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Cubey posted:

Y'all best watch your leaderboard times, fuckers

Literally my 2nd lap in the car/track. Get good son.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
so it begins....

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Tuning is really east actually and super helpful. 20 minutes and some effort makes a car that's kind of bad to drive into one that's very fun.

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Cubey posted:

Even the aero-heavy cars you got to drop a class in Forza 3 by pulling the turbos off? :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
rip R2 class Acura ARX

Edit: I still wish you could add ballast or restrict horsepower on cars to move them down a class or two. It'd make for some more interesting combos I'm sure.

• Locked thread