Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
404bound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I think the developers may have lost focus on what actually sells Starbound. The heart of the game is collecting stuff, building stuff, and traveling to other planets to collect and build stuff. EVERYTHING ELSE needs to function to ENCOURAGE people to do these things, not delay or distract. And that includes systems like quests and combat. Don't gate space exploration behind quests, give people a reason to find new planets. Don't gate exploration behind monsters, give people a reason to fight things.

These are not things that come later, these are things that form the core experience of the game, the principles that sold the game in the first place. Give people stuff to collect, give people stuff to build, and give people things to explore, make them all connect in fun and interesting ways, AND THEN add things like quests and combat that enhance and encourage the core features.

The first few hours of a new Terraria character are completely free and open. By the time you find gated things, you've already collected, built, and explored enough to WANT to break that gate.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I dunno if it's actually gone backwards so much as we were all super hyped for it when it was launched so we looked past its faults more. Looking back at it most of the things I had the most fun with (e.g. collecting all the instruments so my friends and I could all go around in a big band being annoying) was really just a novelty, but they kept it fun enough to get enjoyment out of at the time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Koramei posted:

I dunno if it's actually gone backwards so much as we were all super hyped for it when it was launched so we looked past its faults more. Looking back at it most of the things I had the most fun with (e.g. collecting all the instruments so my friends and I could all go around in a big band being annoying) was really just a novelty, but they kept it fun enough to get enjoyment out of at the time.

No, it's gone backwards. The problem with big, open sandbox games is that they need to feel big and open. Starbound did at first. Think about Minecraft and Terraria; the gates are mostly pretty soft. If you're good enough you don't need X gear to beat Y boss to get Z thing. This is especially true of Terraria. You generally aren't forced to get any specific item to beat a particular boss to get further in the game. You don't need to fight the bosses until you feel like it and you can just get better gear and crush them if you want that.

Starbound is hard gating things. You can't get certain things until you clear the mines. Where Terraria and Minecraft are saying "hey here is a huge world to explore, have fun, maybe build a house or something, I don't care do what you want" Starbound is saying "hey here is this EVEN HUGER world to explore but gently caress YOU, do these inane quests first."

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I don't know man, sounds like you're describing a good castlevania game to me

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i remember the part in symphony of the night where you have to mine for hours to find absolutely nothing of worth to be able to progress. that was fun.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

In the beginning the Starbound thread on SA was nothing BUT goons mocking 4channers/others for bitching about the game and Chucklefish. As time went on it seemed like SA was one of the last places that was actually positive about the game. Then development stagnated so long and the game got worse and worse with each update that it became impossible to ignore that this game is not good and Chucklefish have zero clue what they're doing. A game that has been developed for years does not have the basic systems finalized. At every turn the can gets kicked down the road a little more, "OK yes it's been slow but NOW the updates will start coming!" And then the game is worse. "Yes it's slow now but moving into a central office will greatly improve productivity" nope "Ok but we had a lose-lose situation in Early Access where we had to get SOME kind of placeholder system in the game to make it playable now that that's done we can develop the game for REAL now" nope "It's Just like Castlevania now!!!!" nope.

Unlike Star Citizen, Starbound will likely be completed, but it will never be completed in a satisfactory way because the developer's idea of how the game should be is the opposite of anything any of us would consider fun. Water your plants bitch. Walk backwards slow bitch. Mine ore from sand the hard way bitch. This is real challenge. We're real game Darksouls castlevania diablo borderland now.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Castlevania didn't have randomized enemies. Not even their placement within the level

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
I'd hope Chucklefish has a JIRA page setup for Starbound with a dev roadmap. At least a Trello or something, but I doubt it. I've said it before, it seems like they have absolutely no sort of project management or goals beyond throwing whatever game elements Tiy currently thinks are the most awesome. I agree that the game has gotten palpably less fun as the updates have rolled out. I think one of the big problems is that the only people left on their forums are 13 year olds who have the time and the sperg to literally sit and watch plants grow. If that's who they are going to choose to listen to, then of course this game is going to degenerate into a :darksouls: unfun mess.

And yes, chalk me up as a guy who had some embarrassingly gushing things to say about this game before it actually came out.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

yeah i was talking out of my rear end, i haven't even played it since it first launched. i just meant that it was also not fun back then either really.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i don't like that nearly all the blocks i mine up are completely useless - compare to terraria where i believe at this point every single block can be processed into a building material

i don't like how the random weapon generation turned out - i have never found an interesting weapon beyond the initial 'heh!' of an axe that shot bones

i don't like that biomes are meaningless - finding a biome should mean finding unique materials to make some kind of esoteric gear, and it should contain monsters specifically themed to that biome somehow

i don't like being punished for hitting sand from below rather than up on accident - why the gently caress is the ore in the sand itself, if you're going to do that the ore should be spawning on solid blocks that just won't fall if the sand goes, that's a way better fix than magically vanishing ore

i don't like slow backwards walking. i don't like that farming requires me to pull some minecraft aspie poo poo to work /at all/ as opposed to efficiently (that's fine! it's totally fine to have your inefficient casual way and your hyper efficient logic gate poo poo). i don't like the incredibly rigid tier-based progression gating. i don't like that tenants throw items around randomly or whatever rather than providing specific services. i don't like that i have to shove bullshit into a 3D Printer physically to craft basically any furniture - why not a scanning item that incurs some other kind of cost? i don't like that i have to comb over ten planets just to get a double jump.

i like the music. i like the art. i like all the little extravagant animations. i like the inventiveness in some of the environments. i like what starbound is /trying/ with the combat even if it doesn't succeed without, like, dashes and rolls and faster movement in general. i really loving want to like starbound but playing it feels sisyphean. instead of getting cooler and stronger and better each tier feels like starting the entire game over but maybe i can mine a little bit better.

i don't like alpacas.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Patware posted:

i don't like alpacas.

:shittypop:

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Patware posted:

i don't like that nearly all the blocks i mine up are completely useless - compare to terraria where i believe at this point every single block can be processed into a building material

i don't like how the random weapon generation turned out - i have never found an interesting weapon beyond the initial 'heh!' of an axe that shot bones

i don't like that biomes are meaningless - finding a biome should mean finding unique materials to make some kind of esoteric gear, and it should contain monsters specifically themed to that biome somehow

i don't like being punished for hitting sand from below rather than up on accident - why the gently caress is the ore in the sand itself, if you're going to do that the ore should be spawning on solid blocks that just won't fall if the sand goes, that's a way better fix than magically vanishing ore

i don't like slow backwards walking. i don't like that farming requires me to pull some minecraft aspie poo poo to work /at all/ as opposed to efficiently (that's fine! it's totally fine to have your inefficient casual way and your hyper efficient logic gate poo poo). i don't like the incredibly rigid tier-based progression gating. i don't like that tenants throw items around randomly or whatever rather than providing specific services. i don't like that i have to shove bullshit into a 3D Printer physically to craft basically any furniture - why not a scanning item that incurs some other kind of cost? i don't like that i have to comb over ten planets just to get a double jump.

i like the music. i like the art. i like all the little extravagant animations. i like the inventiveness in some of the environments. i like what starbound is /trying/ with the combat even if it doesn't succeed without, like, dashes and rolls and faster movement in general. i really loving want to like starbound but playing it feels sisyphean. instead of getting cooler and stronger and better each tier feels like starting the entire game over but maybe i can mine a little bit better.

i don't like alpacas.

starbungled

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

pwnyXpress posted:

starbungled

they've really bungled this starjungle

Patware fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 22, 2015

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

Patware posted:

instead of getting cooler and stronger and better each tier feels like starting the entire game over but maybe i can mine a little bit better.

This. I come back to this game every now and then, and while the gated progression adds a little direction to the game, it's pretty much back at square one every time you unlock a new tier. There's no incentive to explore all of these procedurally generated planets unless you really like packing your storage full of sand.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

starbound

more like...

star....
BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Deakul posted:

starbound

more like...

star....
BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvoted

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

thx u please subscribe to my youtube channel

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
So out of curiosity does anyone here actually *like* starbound? And want to maybe play in a game together?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

E-Tank posted:

So out of curiosity does anyone here actually *like* starbound? And want to maybe play in a game together?

Yeah, I like starbound :tem:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

BillmasterCozb posted:

not a great endorsement

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

E-Tank posted:

not in the present tense, but i liked it, once. starbound is the high school sweetheart of indie games: it was magic at first, but you moved on a while ago, then she got mobility scooter fat, and every once in a while you have a chuckle at the expense of that dumb star-struck boy who spent fifteen bucks on her that one christmas

and now you just laugh and talk poo poo

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

not in the present tense, but i liked it, once. starbound is the high school sweetheart of indie games: it was magic at first, but you moved on a while ago, then she got mobility scooter fat, and every once in a while you have a chuckle at the expense of that dumb star-struck boy who spent fifteen bucks on her that one christmas

and now you just laugh and talk poo poo

Guess I'm just a dumbass because I'm still enjoying Starbound unironically. :shrug:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

E-Tank posted:

Guess I'm just a dumbass because I'm still enjoying Starbound unironically. :shrug:

yup

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

E-Tank posted:

Yup.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

E-Tank posted:

posts like this come up all the time

nobody ever says why

why do you like starbound, i am asking in 100% actual earnest

BillmasterCozb posted:

you too

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Patware posted:

posts like this come up all the time

nobody ever says why

why do you like starbound, i am asking in 100% actual earnest

I like it because I like building poo poo in Terraria, and Starbound has a lot more interesting blocks to use, with less requirement to have to stop and restart on a new world if you want your main base to be built of cool lookin' stuff. Your ship is always your 'main base' so you feel less connected to the small places you build, meaning that you can experiment with things if you want, or you can say 'gently caress it', slap down a mud hut and move on. Kind of wish there was a bit more 'hard space' action, like decompression and exploring wrecked ships in orbit of a star, which would I feel be a great place to have like. . .dungeons in the middle of space with randomly generated ships, perhaps even a biome like an asteroid field that's just a graveyard of ships, such as where a space battle took place, long long ago.

It scratches an itch I have for making creative 2D buildings without having to wait until Hard Mode to get to steampunk creations in Terraria before I can if I want to, just make a loving bronze trainwreck of a main base that looks like it should fall apart if the sprockets aren't oiled properly.

Mining is kind of not as big an issue with me, I played Terraria and mining there is slow as poo poo, it's not like it can get much worse than that. Also whenever I'm deep in the middle of a planet after mining a good bit I switch on Admin mode so I can teleport out without having to either commit suicide or try and climb back out. To be quite honest I think you should be able to teleport out of the middle of the planet, but on on cooldown for like 15-30 minutes so you're not just immediately teleporting out, you're weighing your options between trying to go deeper and get more stuff, or teleporting out with what you have.

I wanna build poo poo, I wanna decorate my ship, I want to build a weird metropolis out of literal bricks of poo poo because I feel like it. I don't know what else to say. Combat is kind of hit and miss, the ability to block with a shield, especially with timing giving you an unblockable shield is kind of cool and my Novakid Freon (because he's so cool :rimshot: ) is a space cowboy who doesn't give a gently caress.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
poo poo posting is the only reason star bound is even still in my memory at this point

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I loved Starbound before it actually came out, back when it was on Kickstarter and they promised the universe.

I still don't fully remember what the gently caress I was so excited about, I think I was still coming off of post-Terraria bliss maybe?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

i liked starbound and i want to like it again but in the meantime i will enjoy this disasterpiece

Lobstermobile
Sep 12, 2004
Lobster Car vroom vroom
I was very excited for Starbound when it came out and Chucklefish had all their grand plans. Its clear now that they have no idea what they are doing.

The game is boring to play and biomes are not exciting, enemies are very similar, and I never feel like I make any meaningful gameplay improvements to my character. Just bigger numbers until I unlock a new tier and get 1-shot by monsters again.

Honestly I'm surprised Chucklefish stuck with the game. I guess if they continue developing it at this speed then Starbound might be 'fun' and playable in 2018, but who will still be playing it then? We'll all be playing Terraria 2 by then.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Lobstermobile posted:

I was very excited for Starbound when it came out and Chucklefish had all their grand plans. Its clear now that they have no idea what they are doing.
Yeah basically. Three years later and they're still trying to figure out what they even want combat to be.
There's so many things you should want to do but no reason to actually do them. Why bother exploring? Why bother settling down? Why bother mining or spelunking once you've gotten your new armor tier? Why do anything? There's no good motivations or reasons for anything in this game and most of that is because they couldn't figure out what they actually wanted to do, so now they're basically just hanging decorations on it and adding hoverbikes and other weird extraneous poo poo because the core is a mess.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!
Tiy, buddy, I guess what I'm saying is, fly me* out to your offices and I will get you set up with proper project management and a development roadmap with goals. I will turn this Chucklefail into a Chucklewin.

And my wife. She wants a vacation in London. Thx.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

LordZoric posted:

Tiy, buddy, I guess what I'm saying is, fly me* out to your offices...

its gonna take 8months and all work on the game will need to be stopped

but theyll do it.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
at this point I fear a goonsquad consultation would actually be a net positive

that is not a good thing

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
After a year long break, I am enjoying the current version. The game was a hot mess a year ago and now it actually has more semblance of an actual game instead of just a blueprint of one. I can see the complaints about gating, but honestly if you are playing as a newish player, its not bad. It has definitely improved over what used to be in there. Interactions with NPCs are improving with each release. Combat is definitely better than what it used to be, and more challenging at that.

I think the only thing Chucklefish is guilty of is managing expectations. Ive spent 75 hours in game over 2 years and the game has improved a lot in that time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when redigit first said he might not be able to support terraria anymore Gaslamp Games offered to take over and i thought that would be awesome. now i wish the same thing would happen with starbound

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Supernorn posted:

Progression is incredibly important to the game. And it does give players a sense of direction or purpose to what would otherwise be a straight sandbox. The current progression isn't final, it's something that we've been working towards the last few updates, and the quests you have to do right now are artificial placeholders to keep some sort of progression intact. Right now it's in a limbo state where it's getting overhauled, but not all of those pieces are there yet. I definitely share your frustration on that front, because they are a little jarring right now.

So, there's nothing really wrong with a straight-up sandbox. I would really like a sandbox game mode that let you advance and upgrade at your own pace, rather than chasing down fetch quests for bugs or obscure decorative pieces so that I can do what I really want to do (upgrade my drat ship).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
When this was released I farmed up the highest armor by going to a sand planet and only running the surface for ore. I would stay there for at least 2 deaths one in each direction if I didn't circle the place.

The thing I hated was how hard it was to actually kill stuff, it made healing pointless and fighting it take forever.

Is the game any better now?

• Locked thread