Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Talmonis posted:

I've gone full "gently caress it" funhaver with my Dark Elves. Few things have been more comical to me than watching a Skaven player actually hide his 4 Star Rat Ogre from my assassin after the first time he APO'd away a Fouling death. I made that poor bastard brawl to save his stars instead of score. Scoring is for Blodging, Sidestepping blitzers.

Assassins with dirty player and sneaky git make low armored superstars cry. Especially with a bribe or two. Elfbrawl > Elfball. (I'm sure this will change dramatically at about 2000 when I have to deal with more than one or two CPOMB's on a team)

Better build a wrestle/leap/strip ball witch elf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I'm an usual coach that likes throwers on skaven. I will run a small cage with the thrower with the ball until about mid field and then toss it to a runner to score. Maybe it's an odd habit since skaven aren't my usual play style, but I find i helps draw more of the other team into the line or toward the cage, and takes a player or a few away from hunting gutter runners. Cause hey, if the ball is on the far half of the field, they don't need to worry about that gunner that is only 4 squares on the scoring half of the field. Right?

e: oh on weird things that happened. My chaos ran into a 2000ish Bretonian team. The dude had picked block as his first non double skill on all 4 of his blockers. I mean... I guess he really hated wrestle? Anyone else seen this?

Cpt Stabbin
Jul 16, 2003

I ride zee boat and take it in zee poopah!
I now have the most confused chaos team ever. 2 pieces with ag4. One a chaos warrior with two heads and my ball carrier beastman with sure hands and third arm. Sucks they move so slow because it's fun pulling elf bs with chaos.

I am still learning. I eat trough pubbies but as soon as I run into someone on the more experienced side I get owned. But they sure are fun havers.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Assassins are best player with only 1 skill, jump up. Keep them cheap since their impact is low. Normally any oppo will just try and focus on them so they at least pull aggro from other more important players. I played vs flings with 2 assassins once. Made 6 cas and then realised that I had basically robbed myself of 12 spp. =)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Jade Star posted:

e: oh on weird things that happened. My chaos ran into a 2000ish Bretonian team. The dude had picked block as his first non double skill on all 4 of his blockers. I mean... I guess he really hated wrestle? Anyone else seen this?
There's some value in taking both. If he was also running with a fair bit of guard that allowed him to win brawls, it might be problematic to have punchers drop to the pitch all the drat time. It's essentially a difference in ethos where he was attempting to dominate the pitch, as opposed to simply neutralize the pitch for his important positionals to do their thing (AKA, the Elf Ethos). However, having both means that he can neutralize key players way more easily than otherwise. Being forced into a 1db with a central Guard dude has a much better success rate if you have Wrestle.

That said, just because there's some value in doing it doesn't mean it's a good idea. It's a little awkward at best for a Bretonian team to work that way, and he's undoubtedly had a fair bit of opportunity cost that would allow his team to work more coherently than otherwise.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Coolguye posted:

There's some value in taking both. If he was also running with a fair bit of guard that allowed him to win brawls, it might be problematic to have punchers drop to the pitch all the drat time. It's essentially a difference in ethos where he was attempting to dominate the pitch, as opposed to simply neutralize the pitch for his important positionals to do their thing (AKA, the Elf Ethos). However, having both means that he can neutralize key players way more easily than otherwise. Being forced into a 1db with a central Guard dude has a much better success rate if you have Wrestle.

That said, just because there's some value in doing it doesn't mean it's a good idea. It's a little awkward at best for a Bretonian team to work that way, and he's undoubtedly had a fair bit of opportunity cost that would allow his team to work more coherently than otherwise.

Can you even shut off wrestle if you also have block in bb2, or visa versa?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I don't know, I haven't hit that particular situation in BB2. I know in BB1 I did a dumb gimmick team where they had both and the game always politely asked if I wanted to use Wrestle when it was applicable.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Coolguye posted:

I don't know, I haven't hit that particular situation in BB2. I know in BB1 I did a dumb gimmick team where they had both and the game always politely asked if I wanted to use Wrestle when it was applicable.

I'm not sure there are even ask dialogues in bb2...

Orv
May 4, 2011

Washout posted:

I'm not sure there are even ask dialogues in bb2...

There are.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Orv posted:

There are.

Yes, whenever a "both down" is rolled you get the dialog to a)Wrestle or b)Do Nothing
So when the opponent doesn't have block either you can choose to do nothing and force a turnover, which is very important. (remember that an armor roll is made in that case, and that is how I lost one blocker).
The higher the TV, the better Wrestle becomes as most opponents will have Block on their ball carrier or key players, so being able to knock them down regardless is really good. Even if it comes at the cost of a prone Blocker.
They are also very good to do a 1db with, 50% chance of knocking down an opponent if you have tackle.

That being said, the very first skill a Bretonnian Blocker should take without a doubt is Guard. As a Second skill I would take tackle on 3 of them, and Strip ball on the 4th.
On a double I think Jump Up is actually the best skill for them.

On defense don't put your blockers on the LoS, they're too valuable for that as I find they are very difficult to level. The Blitzers hoard most of the SPP's from scoring/passing. So when you are ahead and can risk a handover to a TD, do it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Orv posted:

There are.

It's actually reasonably clever about it, too. If a player with Dodge gets hit with a Defender Stumbles near a sideline you actually get the option not to use Dodge and let him get taken down, so that they're not at risk of being crowdsurfed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I want to use assassins the next time I play dark elfs, if only because I placed all my saurus on my LOS on the last turn before halftime because "hah, knock them all down now".

He used his assassins on them and the targets he hit went down. Lucky sod. Funny though.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Really enjoying my Khemri team right now. 5/1/1. 6 TDs scored, 1 allowed.

Excuse me, sir, would you like to grind?

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
I stopped playing Wood Elves and switched to High Elves for fun in the Skittles league. A few things I've noticed.

I am keeping SO MUCH MORE MONEY. The extra armor really adds up, even though it might not seem like it. Might be because I'm used to playing them like Wood Elves so I don't try to win the bash war. On the downside this means my TV is skyrocketing.

Although I miss War Dancers, well built Catchers are becoming an acceptable substitute. They get points easily, and having a mega fast piece with wrestle, dodge, and catch is fantastic. I can't decide to take Diving Tackle, Sidestep, or Strip Ball for their next skill to make them true sacking terrors.

Big thing I'm trying to figure out is what the gently caress to do with all this gold? I mean inducements are cool, but I'm considering a stadium upgrade for the first time in forever. Not sure which one to get. I'm torn between the weather dome since most weather effects gently caress passing teams worse than bash teams, or the astrogranite to punish people for making GFIs to try to keep up. Thoughts?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
With the weird new bank rule, the best thing to do with your cash is buy however many cheerleaders as needed to drop you back down to 150k, then sack them. As for the stadia... if you take the weatherdome, you're scum. C'mon, learn to love the sun, it's always nice weather and on the rare occasions it's not, it resolves itself next Kick Off. C'mon.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

With the weird new bank rule, the best thing to do with your cash is buy however many cheerleaders as needed to drop you back down to 150k, then sack them. As for the stadia... if you take the weatherdome, you're scum. C'mon, learn to love the sun, it's always nice weather and on the rare occasions it's not, it resolves itself next Kick Off. C'mon.

You obviously haven't played an entire Wood Elf game in the rain. -1 to pickups and no sure hands is horrible.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
My cage got perfectly screened by a Bret team yesterday. I was able to form a side cage but couldn't break through the screen he set up. I should have at least tried to send someone deep into his side just to spread his squad a bit. Maybe it also didn't help that I didn't KO a single lineman.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Haroshia posted:

You obviously haven't played an entire Wood Elf game in the rain. -1 to pickups and no sure hands is horrible.

Try that with a team that isn't entirely AG4 players and tell us how it feels.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Try that with a team that isn't entirely AG4 players and tell us how it feels.

I'm sure it sucks but most teams like that at least have a sure hands player or two (which means 75% as opposed to 67%) AND can bash even if they don't get the ball. If I can't pick the drat ball up I got nothing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Now I wish I could buy an "always raining" inducement.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
Snowcannon: This stadium is experiencing a permanent artificial blizzard.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Ouch @ VV losing that FC game. Looked a sure win at halftime and the chaos where poorly built.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Haroshia posted:

I'm sure it sucks but most teams like that at least have a sure hands player or two (which means 75% as opposed to 67%) AND can bash even if they don't get the ball. If I can't pick the drat ball up I got nothing.

If Nuffle doesn't give you the ball on a 67% then you are undeserving. Try making a pass play in a blizzard with a fresh Saur as the reciever.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I made legend rank again on fumbbl after having fun with Norse in ranked. I didn't even pick, Norse are just that good on low level.
http://www.fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=818505

And there my 7 games winnstreak was ended by a shitgame vs lizzies :)

MRLOLAST fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 24, 2015

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
This checks out.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
http://www.fumbbl.com/p/match?id=3733929

My FC game went totally down the toilet. I hate lucky -2d dwarfs . My opponent was not very good and gave some opportunity to come back but it just was not my game.
I kept trying to block saw dwarf in the first half but he just would not go down so I had to use my rrs. This led me to not score in the first and then the lucky dwarfs cas everything they touch.
I won the blocks 64 vs 53 but he made 4 cas and 3 k.o. Plus he did 1ds like a dice god. I got 1 cas in the 2nd half and a k.o in the first ( getting saw finally out doesn't count). I want a rematch :)

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Just finished a game against a chaos team named "the tv killers." I was pretty worried when I saw the name. Then I loaded in and realized that he didn't have a single guard piece at around 1800 tv. I proceeded to steamroll him, and ended the game with 78 successful blocks to his 30.

Block and guard are really good. All of you fledgling chaos teams should learn to love your block guard pieces.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I just outbashed the world's most unfortunate ork coach with skaven.
The last injury involved a troll both downing on a gunner that declined to wrestle. The troll got -av'd and the gunner was fine.

Amusingly, of his four injuries only one of them came from my clawpomber.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Jester Mcgee posted:

Just finished a game against a chaos team named "the tv killers." I was pretty worried when I saw the name. Then I loaded in and realized that he didn't have a single guard piece at around 1800 tv. I proceeded to steamroll him, and ended the game with 78 successful blocks to his 30.

Block and guard are really good. All of you fledgling chaos teams should learn to love your block guard pieces.

I had a similair experience last night. Around 1800 and the chaos coach had three warriors who went MB + claw first. No block. One or two guard players. It was still a little scary taking hits from 4 players with mb/claw and I think the game ended 3/3 on the cas box. Ended in a 1-1 tie, but at the end of the game I had him down to 3 or 4 players left on the field.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Jester Mcgee posted:

I loving love Guard. It might be my favorite skill for a lot of teams. My Goonbowl team, a 1470 TV Undead team, has four Guard pieces (two Wights, one Zombie, one Ghoul) and it rocks. It hasn't gotten a lot of application since I seem to be stuck playing dodgy teams a lot (particularly Skaven), but hopefully future opponents will lend itself more to the rugby scrum battle where the extra Guard will be a massive pain in the rear end to my opponent and the lack of Tackle isn't as much of a problem.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

MRLOLAST posted:

Ouch @ VV losing that FC game. Looked a sure win at halftime and the chaos where poorly built.

Yeah that's pretty much every match against Chaos for this team. They run pretty close to .500 vs all non-elfy teams EXCEPT Chaos. And not even murder chaos; just goofy builds with maybe 1 clawpomber if that. They always pull off some kind of goofy TZ pickups+passing plays to score when all hope is seemingly lost. See my grid:

If anyone has an Ogre team in Ranked, play me. They're the only team I haven't played against yet with these guys.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh man, I finally got around to making a lizardmen team and it's so drat fun. After playing elves all the time it's nice to be able to just get stuck in every now and then, and skink bullshit is just as fun as elf bullshit. Played my first match against dwarves and still somehow managed to get a 2:0. In the second half things looked a bit dicey when he'd managed to build a counter-cage directly around my ballcarrier, but then I remembered stunty and just dodged right out of it through the one open corner to safety :allears:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So me and a friend started playing against each other last night and we had two games. I created two teams and then made 4 more this afternoon just for fun. I don't care if I win or lose, I was just amused making teams and making up dumb names for them.

Tonight I think I might play as the Norse since all their players look pretty gay badass.

fake edit: I don't know why my dwarves don't show the one draw game they had, or why my lizardpeople don't show any thing either.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

AndyElusive posted:

So me and a friend started playing against each other last night and we had two games. I created two teams and then made 4 more this afternoon just for fun. I don't care if I win or lose, I was just amused making teams and making up dumb names for them.

Tonight I think I might play as the Norse since all their players look pretty gay badass.

fake edit: I don't know why my dwarves don't show the one draw game they had, or why my lizardpeople don't show any thing either.

Direct challenge games don't show up on the record, I believe. Did you make up player names too? Because that's the real challenge of Blood Bowl - getting a consistent set of player names together.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

TheMcD posted:

Direct challenge games don't show up on the record, I believe. Did you make up player names too? Because that's the real challenge of Blood Bowl - getting a consistent set of player names together.

Holy poo poo I forgot you can rename individual players. :allears:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

AndyElusive posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot you can rename individual players. :allears:

You've got some work to do. I'm expecting to see Killin' Kaepernick taking the helm for the 666'ers.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I tried making a Gotham PD team once but ran out of names far to quickly.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I only just realized this game came out.

How poo poo is it, I'm not reading the entire thread

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

JT Jag posted:

Fairly poo poo, but nothing we aren't used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

JT Jag posted:

I only just realized this game came out.

Full price for 8 teams, and new ones will be about 7$?
Very pretty, but lost the always on grid and I have yet to figure out how to tell who can intercept(if they even show it)

• Locked thread