Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
well yes he cut her but then she and vergo actually did die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Vergo was a real poo poo. Man I wonder when we'll see Kaidou. Doflamingo even complimented Law on a good plan by trying to have Kaidou kick his teeth in.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

She was revealed to be Sugar's sister in a SBS so she's probably not dead. But we'll see.

Virgo probably isn't dead either. He'll show up with amnesia somewhere as a cook or something with food on his face.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

Virgo probably isn't dead either. He'll show up with amnesia somewhere as a cook or something with food on his face.

Losing a battle has redeemed himself, he'll now be a good marine.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

There were a bunch of dudes who took poison and died all the way back in the Alabasta arc. Though I guess they're generic guys so don't count?

Smiley also died :(

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

tbp posted:

well yes he cut her but then she and vergo actually did die.

No, Monet had her heart stabbed and Vergo got caught in an explosion. That's not really dead considering pre-time skip Luffy survived the insane level of strain he put on his body during Impel Down-Marineford.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

No, Monet had her heart stabbed and Vergo got caught in an explosion. That's not really dead considering pre-time skip Luffy survived the insane level of strain he put on his body during Impel Down-Marineford.

Wasn't Monet caught in the explosion too? And vergo was literally just a head at the time, I would think he couldn't do much about the explosion

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Has an explosion ever killed a single person in anime ever?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shadow0 posted:

Has an explosion ever killed a single person in anime ever?

Nosebleed explosions. Not quite dead, but very near.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That Drie(?) guy is very interesting, super strong but super cowardly. I wonder if he will be the other new admiral because he was taken in by the marines and I assume there is a reason he was show.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

What? I thought that was anime bullshit. Did this actually happen in the manga? Hahah wtf.

Nope, it was cannon, and it kinda has to be because if it wasn't that bomb would have gone off in the tower blowing everything in that drat city to kingdom come.

Speaking of filler, you know what my favorite filler bits were? That chunk of episodes where Luffy, the crew and Ace were trekking through the desert to Rainbase. It works well because if you're gonna do filler content in a story arc, this is where it makes the most sense as deserts are loving massive. I enjoyed the little day-in-the-life episodes about the bounty hunter and the sand pirates. But mainly it's because it's the section most resposible for getting us a viewer invested in Ace. If you just went by the comic he boils down to a plot device and less of a character, but in the show you get to spend time with him and actually give a drat about his plight, even though at this point you know next-to-nothing about this dude's backstory. Really helped add to the scope of the world that there's always bigger fish to fry out on the Grand Line, no matter how much of a dickhole a Warlord is being in a country.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

That Drie(?) guy is very interesting, super strong but super cowardly. I wonder if he will be the other new admiral because he was taken in by the marines and I assume there is a reason he was show.

who

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

X Drake.

Diez Drake.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Kild posted:

X Drake.

Diez Drake.

oh

yeah im pretty sure even anime only people are rather aware at this point that hes not the hidden admiral

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kild posted:

X Drake.

Diez Drake.

Haha oh yeah

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Lieutenant Commander Drake abandoned his post at G8 to become a Supernova.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tbp posted:

oh

yeah im pretty sure even anime only people are rather aware at this point that hes not the hidden admiral

Sure enough not to spoiler tag it. :P

F. Lobot posted:

Lieutenant Commander Drake abandoned his post at G8 to become a Supernova.

He has the dinosaur Zoan fruit.

He also has chameleon eye powers as well apparently.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please do not mock xdrakes walleyes or he might turn into a t-rex and eat you because you hurt his feelings

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Hey now, it's a Dinosaur fruit: model T-rex :colbert:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Shadow0 posted:

Sure enough not to spoiler tag it. :P

He has the dinosaur Zoan fruit.

He also has chameleon eye powers as well apparently.
That arc was bizarre, at first I was really excited to see their powers but then after a while I was a bit taken back by it. One guy had little soldiers come out of him. :psyduck:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

That arc was bizarre, at first I was really excited to see their powers but then after a while I was a bit taken back by it. One guy had little soldiers come out of him. :psyduck:

Capone Gang Bege is the best and he, along wth with Urouge needs more goddamn screentime

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Parrotine posted:

Hey now, it's a Dinosaur fruit: model T-rex :colbert:

Well, I meant it short for "the (only) dinosaur fruit (mentioned thus far at least)"
Though we might see more on Kaido's ship, right?

I wonder if his plot is going to be someone made fun of his Zoan powers being weak, and then he set out to prove everyone wrong about Zoans by assembling the strongest crew ever of Zoans.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Why the hell isn't Sabato helping Luffy/Law? I can understand why blind navy guy isn't interfering but come on Sabato, do something.

Also speaking of Blind Navy dude, I can't really understand his motives. Seems like he disagrees with pirates being granted war lord status and world government's involvement in island politics?

Asuron posted:

Capone Gang Bege is the best and he, along wth with Urouge needs more goddamn screentime
Agreed! But their powers were odd at the time and didn't really fit.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 9, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I assume you mean why isn't he helping and I'd imagine it's because he has faith in Luffy and has other poo poo to sort out, for example the primary reason they are on the island isn't to help Luffy but to investigate the gun ring.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Suspicious Lump posted:

Why the hell is Sabato helping Luffy/Law? I can understand why blind navy guy isn't interfering but come on Sabato, do something.

Mostly because the few people asking for it keep calling out for Sabo's help. So Sabato is only answering their cries to save them with whispered nos.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Lump posted:

Why the hell is Sabato helping Luffy/Law?

You mean Sabo? Or am I forgetting about someone?
Sabo is helping Luffy. He's taking care of all the civilians so Luffy can focus. Luffy wouldn't really accept anyone else beating Mango. Also, yeah, I'm sure he believes in Luffy.
Also taking care of the civilians encourages them to view the Revolutionary Army as heroes, which adds to their support, which allows them a better chance of accomplishing their goal of overthrowing the government, so I think this is a pretty logical move for them.

Asuron posted:

I'd actually be pretty upset if they switched away and wasted *more* time on this arc. Capone is awesome though.
Urouge confused me. There are multiple Sky Islands? Also no one believed Luffy before about Sky Island and that was a pretty big plot point, but now there's a Sky Islander and he's just whatever to everyone?
Side note: Can that guy even go home anymore (not that pirates do but)? If he takes the Knock-Up Stream, how does one travel between sky islands?
Come to think of it, is there an exit to the Grand Line? Could Luffy (without the new Navy ships) go back to East Blue?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Think it was more the "city of gold" than the sky island part they were doubting. Also maybe all the other sky islands are in the New World and/or easier to get to so people know about them unlike this legendary Skypeia.

Also remember Nami got launched to a sky island during the time skip and they had other ways of traveling/getting down.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

Also remember Nami got launched to a sky island during the time skip and they had other ways of traveling/getting down.

Now that I think about it, Kuma should win the award for best sniper. He shot 9 people safely to 9 different islands, including a flying one, mid-combat with them.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Shadow0 posted:

Urouge confused me. There are multiple Sky Islands? Also no one believed Luffy before about Sky Island and that was a pretty big plot point, but now there's a Sky Islander and he's just whatever to everyone?
Side note: Can that guy even go home anymore (not that pirates do but)? If he takes the Knock-Up Stream, how does one travel between sky islands?
Come to think of it, is there an exit to the Grand Line? Could Luffy (without the new Navy ships) go back to East Blue?

Most regular, average citizens only know a fraction of what's possible on the Grand Line (even moreso in the New World). Most people probably assume Urouge is a devil fruit user or wears fake wings for some reason. There are plenty of weirder people around.

The Knock-Up Stream is the most suicidal way to enter Skypeia. They mention during the arc that there are much easier ways to get there but I believe they're under the WG's control.

Nope, aside from seastone-coated ships there's no obvious way to sail out of the GL. Perhaps there's a giant catapult on Raftel - or a secret way to exit via Reverse Mountain. Hopefully we find out eventually... another decade or two from now.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

jassa posted:

Nope, aside from seastone-coated ships there's no obvious way to sail out of the GL. Perhaps there's a giant catapult on Raftel - or a secret way to exit via Reverse Mountain. Hopefully we find out eventually... another decade or two from now.

You can swim out. Also because It's just an ocean band, I would think you could just keep going past Raftel and pop out the other side.

There are ways out out the GL. There have to be.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If the Strawhats wanted to they could probably leave the Grand Line with little issue. The main thing holding them back is that doing so would be pausing the adventure. Hell, Shanks and the gang did it over 10 years ago when they weren't the super badasses they are now. Buggy did it too. Don Krieg entered and then exited while being chased by Mihawk.

The main obstacles are the sea kings and the calm belt, neither of which pose much if any threat to the Going Sunny and her crew. Remember, before traveling Reverse Mountain the gang sailed into the calm belt on the Merry and got back out with no damage.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Before he lost the arm Shanks was a duelling partner of Mihawk so I think even back then he was a p big deal.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

Also speaking of Blind Navy dude, I can't really understand his motives. Seems like he disagrees with pirates being granted war lord status and world government's involvement in island politics?

Because all warlords have done something horrible and/or hosed the world government in the rear end somehow

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bartolomeo and Hakuba are cool as hell, really hope to see someone at Zoro's level deal with Hakuba.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
One of my favorite things about One Piece is the OP/EDs are like an evolutionary record of shonen directing styles and anime j-pop from the late 90s until today

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The White Dragon posted:

One of my favorite things about One Piece is the OP/EDs are like an evolutionary record of shonen directing styles and anime j-pop from the late 90s until today

It also exemplifies that modern isn't always better. The last good OP was Share the World (We Go was alright, though).

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Julias posted:

It also exemplifies that modern isn't always better. The last good OP was Share the World (We Go was alright, though).

I liked Fight Together. I can't speak for anything after We Go since I stopped watching.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Excuse me, Wake Up! loving owns.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I liked when the series was at its darkest it had the weirdest bubbly girly song for the OP and when the Impel Down guys did their full on Nazi salute the song went ~YAAYYYY~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The best anime OP is the first one from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. The best One Piece OP is The one during the Whitebeard War