Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Read a rumor that Ford might be doing an Escape ST. Interesting possibility. Not sure if there's a market for a domestic small performance CUV, but there could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Guinness posted:

Got to say that I don't understand the small diesel fetish of so many internet enthusiasts. After hearing so many people online clamoring for more small diesels I was excited to finally experience the supposed nirvana, and then it turns out that small diesels are really not that great to drive

Yup, most of them are loving slow. People obsessively harp over the torque figures they produce, but once you drive one, you realize that they are laggy and have a very narrow powerband. The gearing is so long on VW diesels that peak torque from 1800-3000rpms on is analogous to like 2400-3800rpm on a petrol engine.

skipdogg posted:

Read a rumor that Ford might be doing an Escape ST. Interesting possibility. Not sure if there's a market for a domestic small performance CUV, but there could be.

Small CUVs are the fastest growing segment in the US. The Nismo Juke and Clubman are decent sellers, so I'm sure there's a market for a performance oriented CUVs. If more focused on perceived performance than realized.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 22, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I haven't bought an automatic transmission for twelve years now. Then again I'm not stupid enough to live in an area that has parking lots instead of freeways at any hour of the day, unless there's an accident.

edit: which reminds me, I was showing my cousin (who lives in San Fran) a house for sale in my neighborhood that is $415k - 5bd/5bth, pool, sauna, two kitchens, on the river and has a dock / lift, 4200 square feet if I remember correctly... and she informed me that that same amount would purchase a 700 sqft condo there.

Why would people live there? If you like the scenery, buy a large picture.

They're different things. I'd take a 700 sq ft condo in a stimulating city over a high maintenance box with space I'll never use any day. If I was part of a wingnut religion that insisted I bear a litter of puppies the McMansion would be more appealing (riverfront does sound good either way, though).

Square footage and features is not the measure of an enjoyable home experience, just like a Suburban isn't somehow better than a Miata. They're different products for different audiences.

As for traffic - well, there's a reason people move from flyover country to coastal cities and not the other way around. We have more things that more people like. If that's not your scene, cool, nothing wrong with that, but people make choices unique to themselves and only stick with them as long as they're worth it. For most people right now, cities have the biggest slice of the desirability pie chart.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

CornHolio posted:

Why would people live there? If you like the scenery, buy a large picture.

Why buy a pickup truck when you can buy pictures of things you could get for free?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MarsellusWallace posted:

I grew up with diesel cars and a truck - god do I miss that torque. There's a rather different feel to a mountain of torque at low RPM compared to power and higher rev limits. Even the vaunted 5 liter in a Mustang didn't feel as 'unstoppable' as the old 5.9 in the Ram, even if you could rev it out to twice as high. That said, I'll be putting an order in for either a FoST or a WRX in the next few months, so there is something to be said for modern small turbo gasoline engines. (that something is that the Mazda3 really, really needs one, because that's a really nice car let down entirely by its motor)

If modern diesels have improved as much as modern turbo gas engines, I'd gladly take the cost increase for that feeling again. Even paying four figures for a goddamn fuel pump is worth it the first time you spool the turbo, dollar after dollar of fuel mixing with deliciously acrid tire smoke.

Buy an electric car.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

D C posted:

Scenery, activities, people, amenities, jobs.

loving living in the middle of nowhere just cause you get a cheap house. If you are a keyboard jockey and a shut in then sure...

I dunno, we have that here. The great lakes are a half hour away from where I am, Chicago is only a little further if you really miss traffic, unemployment here is like 3% at the moment and despite what the stereotypes would have you believe, there are all sorts of excellent people and amenities. And the automotive history here is incredible - Detroit is three hours away, Indianapolis is two and a half, and Studebaker and Auburn/Cord/Deusenberg both have their original factories and museums right around here. For the car enthusiast it's hard to beat.

Also no inspections :v:

I get it about North Carolina though, that would really suck.

skipdogg posted:

I mean I don't understand how you live somewhere where you could literally be trapped in your own house by snowfall, but you do. So different strokes for different folks I guess.

A friend of mine moved out to LA and they say the thing they miss most is having seasons.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 22, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I wish Caprice 9c3's were not so rare. You get the performance of a Chevrolet SS without all the infotainment poo poo to break plus things like factory fluid coolers for transmissions and other systems which can only help with reliability. Plus when they were around they went for under $30k most times.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

Small CUVs are the fastest growing segment in the US. The Nismo Juke and Clubman are decent sellers, so I'm sure there's a market for a performance oriented CUVs. If more focused on perceived performance than realized.

Yeah, the CR-V is on the verge of outselling the Civic, and the X1 exists. There's certainly room for "warm" hatches.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CornHolio posted:

A friend of mine moved out to LA and they say the thing they miss most is having seasons.

Lol gently caress seasons, I'll just go ahead and skip winter thankyouverymuch.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

leica posted:

Lol gently caress seasons, I'll just go ahead and skip winter thankyouverymuch.

This so loving much.

It's in the 50s when I wake up right now and I'm loving dying. gently caress the cold and stupid seasons that ruin half the god drat year.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

iwentdoodie posted:

This so loving much.

It's in the 50s when I wake up right now and I'm loving dying. gently caress the cold and stupid seasons that ruin half the god drat year.

You don't ski, snowmobile or play hockey do ya

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I live in San Diego and can do all of these things with a minimal drive. Hockey is all of 4 miles away. The rest, an hour or 2 in the winter.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Who needs that poo poo when you can partake in just about every water sport there is as well as do every other outdoor sport that doesn't involve snow year round?

gently caress snow and ice, basically.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Winter sports are the best sports thanks.

Saying that as a former resident of Southern California, best thing I ever did was leave.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Humans evolved in Africa, temperate to warm climates are where we're supposed to live, gently caress winter.

- A Northern Canadian

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'd like to live in a place where it's sunny, dry and about 75 degrees all year round. Winter is slowly rolling in and the lack of sunshine makes me depressed and getting up for work in the dark and coming home in the dark does absolutely nothing for my mood.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress literally anything over 68 degrees, 60 is good, 55 is ideal, 40 is comfortable and 32 is brisk and invigorating.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The Pacific Northwest is the best region on earth to live, full stop.

poo poo, you even have your choice in flavour between adequate healthcare or Freedum, depending on your tastes.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Can you weather and socioeconomic diversity enthusiasts point me to the thread about cool new car stuff?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

14 INCH DICK posted:

gently caress literally anything over 68 degrees, 60 is good, 55 is ideal, 40 is comfortable and 32 is brisk and invigorating.

Even when I was setting thermostats in airconditioned buildings I set them to 73!
Outdoors, 82 is good, and the earth needs rain, not snow, so skip that arse cold part of winter. Especially in Australia where there is no rivers of note/dependence on mountains and snow melt.
Have a month of rain in between autumn and spring and it's all good, back to 82.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 23, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

14 INCH DICK posted:

Even if we don't share tastes in anything else, we do share our preferred temperatures. After growing up in coastal NC where it's regularly 95+ and 100% humidity, and THEN joining the army and going to <hot places> gently caress the heat. You can always put more clothes on, you can't always take more clothes off.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Sigma X posted:

Even if we don't share tastes in anything else, we do share our preferred temperatures. After growing up in coastal NC where it's regularly 95+ and 100% humidity, and THEN joining the army and going to <hot places> gently caress the heat. You can always put more clothes on, you can't always take more clothes off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW4IZ0Flh3M

We realize we're in the new car thread, not the general chat thread, right?

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Oct 23, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

ilkhan posted:

We realize we're in the new car thread, not the general chat thread, right?

You're not helping. :P

Anyway, Pulsar Nismo. Less poo poo looking than the standard Pulsar but still shitter than the old Pulsar.

I'd like to drive this somewhere warm.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

88h88 posted:

Anyway, Pulsar Nismo. Less poo poo looking than the standard Pulsar but still shitter than the old Pulsar.

That's really not bad for a new Nissan. I like it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Sometimes I see a Versa Note on the road and I say "Oh that looks like a reasonably sized, handsome small hatch! Oh, wait, it's a Versa."

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sometimes I see a Versa Note on the road and I say "Oh that looks like a reasonably sized, handsome small hatch! Oh, wait, it's a Versa."

What's wrong with a Versa?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Coredump posted:

Everything.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Coredump posted:

It's just not as good as other cars in its class. Well okay it outcompetes the Mirage but there's no reason to buy one over a Fit or a Yaris. And why this bothers me so much is that NISSAN CAN DO SO WELL WHEN IT TRIES TO.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

88h88 posted:

Let me guess. Something in the neighborhood of 1.4L with 95hp and a CVT?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Coredump posted:

The suspension was so rock hard on the one my mom test drove that it literally hurt my back taking an on-ramp. The mazda3 we drove after felt like a loving ferrari in comparison.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Driving in freshly laid snow is super relaxing to me.

However, when you lose your ford explorer in the freshly laid snow you sometimes wish for less.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

fknlo posted:

Let me guess. Something in the neighborhood of 1.4L with 95hp and a CVT?

It's a concept but the numbers are 1.6l and anywhere from 250-275bhp. And manual.

It's from last year but weatherchat was annoying people so...

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Cage posted:

Driving in freshly laid snow is super relaxing to me.

However, when you lose your ford explorer in the freshly laid snow you sometimes wish for less.

I hear you. Worcester MA had something like 120" of snow in a couple months. We ran out of places to put it after a while. Coming out of a street was pretty much a pray and hope no one is coming deal.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mr. Wiggles posted:

NISSAN CAN DO SO WELL WHEN IT TRIES TO.

When has there ever been evidence of this (GTRs don't count, i mean regular cars)?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Go back to RWD and straight-sixes Nissan, the rest will follow.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Enourmo posted:

When has there ever been evidence of this (GTRs don't count, i mean regular cars)?

Back when they were called Datsuns in the US.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

El Scotch posted:

Go back to RWD and straight-sixes Nissan, the rest will follow.

The V6s are a lot better than the old RB

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sinestro posted:

Back when they were called Datsuns in the US.

I mean I won't disagree but I fail to see what relevance 30+ year old vehicles have in the new car thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

dissss posted:

The V6s are a lot better than the old RB

I wouldn't expect them to use the old engines.

Nissan has a working relationship with Mercedes; just use Merc's new straight-sixes.