Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a limit to the number of trade missions you can have at one time?

I'm currently loving around Sothis, just picking up any of the 800k-2m trade/smuggle missions that go 400 Ly out, dumping the cargo into the commodity exchange, then running into the nearest-system-to-the-actual-target to dump a Cobra-load of Sothis gold and pick up the "real" cargo again. Oddly, though, I'm not seeing any trade missions on the last couple of refreshes, even in the "you can't handle our rep" category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Hamburger Test posted:

So since I could skip the reputation I went and grabbed an Imp Courier. Can it sustain Beams? I have 7M left, if anyone feels like suggesting a PvE build.

Courier owns and can do everything. You can do 2 beams with a cannon, you can do 3 beams and just let it cool down now and then, you can do one beam and two MCs. Whatever you like. I have run a 3 beam Courier and it can fire for a few seconds and cools quickly enough to be functional.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Hamburger Test posted:

So since I could skip the reputation I went and grabbed an Imp Courier. Can it sustain Beams? I have 7M left, if anyone feels like suggesting a PvE build.

Im playing around in one with three fixed pulses for practice and with the best distributor and 4 pips it still drains down after a moderate amount of sustained fire. Beams are probably a no go unless you're firing like just one by itself.

Edit: to clarify for a PVE build where you're permanently affixed to your targets that's where it breaks down and doesnt make sense to have a weapon scheme you have to stop and recharge constantly. Maybe PVP could be a different story.

timn fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 22, 2015

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
I have 50 mil. Should I jump on the iClipper bandwagon or just go back to hauling rares in my Asp?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUgo831-1DU

This is great :3: best copilots ever

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hahahaha "Shoot him."

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

timn posted:

Im playing around in one with three fixed pulses for practice and with the best distributor and 4 pips it still drains down after a moderate amount of sustained fire. Beams are probably a no go unless you're firing like just one by itself.

Edit: to clarify for a PVE build where you're permanently affixed to your targets that's where it breaks down and doesnt make sense to have a weapon scheme you have to stop and recharge constantly. Maybe PVP could be a different story.
I've always been a fan of the tried and true pulse/multicannon combo for agile ships that can stay on target and beams/cannons for ships that can't out-turn their opponents.

In the Courier's case I'd do gimballed pulses on the wings and then a fixed/gimballed (depending on preference) multicannon on the chin mount. If you're hunting larger ships in RES with the Courier I'd recommend swapping the chin mount to either a cannon or plasma accelerator as they punch above their weight and do full damage to large hulls.

For something like a Python which isn't quite as agile as a Courier/Vulture/FdL/Clipper I'd suggest the good old KakerMix special where you use gimballed beams in all the large hardpoints with two fixed cannons in the mediums. You can fire a single large beam to strip shields (probably the one on the chin mount) which actually regens energy with 4 pips to weapons and then bring all three lasers to bear in bursts against the hull. You can fire the cannons at large hulls with no damage penalty so effectively you always do max damage to anything. A++ python fit, would fly again.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Zsinjeh posted:

Oldie but a goodie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xj1ZgxpALg
(anyone have that video from the streamers point of view?)

Yes

DarthBlingBling posted:

Zsinjeh you beautiful bastard

Hope for a friend:

Deception?

Despair:

Lewd

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

So...what's the trick to the 'Steal X of Y' missions? Flew around WSS, Nav Beacons, and Checkpoints scanning cargo holds and came up with nothing?

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Ge someone to buy the commodity then jettison it for you to scoop up

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

deadlyrhetoric posted:

So...what's the trick to the 'Steal X of Y' missions? Flew around WSS, Nav Beacons, and Checkpoints scanning cargo holds and came up with nothing?

Unfortunately the trick is not to take them, they are really tedious to complete the way you're intended to, or you can get other players to drop the stuff for you to pick up to make it stolen, both options are dull.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

can someone explain what I'm looking at. what is up with that display... it's... it's just...

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

Frontier is getting a little creative with these names...

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So what is the current fast way to get rich then? I just did a Sothis run without realising it was nerfed and didn't make a great deal (in a cobra) :(

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

That touchscreen

I need it now

e: I've been working on a setup where my touchpad works as a client and my computer is a server, and input on the touchpad registers as a gaming controller, so I could have big ol buttons for various functions that I mash

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

SciFiDownBeat posted:

can someone explain what I'm looking at. what is up with that display... it's... it's just...
Looks like a panoramic projector setup.

Adult Sword Owner posted:

That touchscreen

I need it now

e: I've been working on a setup where my touchpad works as a client and my computer is a server, and input on the touchpad registers as a gaming controller, so I could have big ol buttons for various functions that I mash
Roccat Power Grid.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm 15 hours into this game and until tonight I was just exploring, got back from the Pleiades and bought an Adder. Then I figured I'd try out the combat so I stowed that, bought an Eagle and went looking for jerks. I ended up blowing up a Fer-De-lance in an asteroid belt, then killing an Imperial Courier that interdicted me on the way back. By the time I docked my hull was at like 7%.

This is a cool game you guys.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

OK this could be really great, but it suffers the User Generated Content problem of "there are a poo poo ton of options for This Game, no info on what any of them do, nobody has rated most of them, and the ones I've seen look like poo poo"

But thanks, I'll get into this

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I'm pretty decent at combat unless I get into a jousting match.

Suggestions?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Adult Sword Owner posted:

OK this could be really great, but it suffers the User Generated Content problem of "there are a poo poo ton of options for This Game, no info on what any of them do, nobody has rated most of them, and the ones I've seen look like poo poo"

But thanks, I'll get into this
I haven't used it, but I would presume that most people are making their own profiles or modifying others based on their needs.

I just use VoiceAttack because I prefer the laziness of shouting at my computer to do things for me.

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009
Is this game worth playing with a controller on pc or am I better off with mouse+kb?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Use whatever you're comfortable with. Some people swear by M+K, I use a combo of keyboard and joystick, and there are tons of people using 360 controllers or similar just fine.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lowwayman posted:

Is this game worth playing with a controller on pc or am I better off with mouse+kb?

Use whatever you want, it all works. Keyboard and mouse is fine (and is apparently the best for aiming), and lots of people use it, but most people hate the default key bindings and have to screw around with them to get it comfortable.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I honestly couldn't remember any of the keybindings after taking a few month break from Elite, but I did default KB+M fine.

I did end up getting the $45 Thrustmaster Hotas X, and found this set of bindings to be very effective.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

lowwayman posted:

I'm using a PS4 controller and it's smooth as gently caress. My only real complaint is that it seems to pick it up as an XBox 360 controller and has some unmodifiable keybindings under the default control set.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy

:siren:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaV3FP5HJ48:siren:

Federal Corvette!

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Sard posted:

Federal Corvette!
What the hell happened with Frontier and when did they learned how to properly build up hype like this? :psyduck:
Also :magical:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I can tell i'm gonna get tired of the SRV noise, it's like they fired their sound guy and replaced him with an idiot.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

is there a way to export your key bindings, or are they in a file somewhere? I lost my binding a couple months ago when I came back to the game and had to reset everything which was an absolute pain to try and remember.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Tom Guycot posted:

is there a way to export your key bindings, or are they in a file somewhere? I lost my binding a couple months ago when I came back to the game and had to reset everything which was an absolute pain to try and remember.

C:\Users\<YourName>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings is where mine are.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sard posted:

Federal Corvette!

Holy gently caress this looks good! Takes me back to Mass Effect 1 planet exploration in a really good way but better in every way omg i'm pumped!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

orange juche posted:

I can tell i'm gonna get tired of the SRV noise, it's like they fired their sound guy and replaced him with an idiot.

Congrats on your new job.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

orange juche posted:

Not sure I follow, everything here sounds amazing and can only sound better on a real sound system when you're playing it. :shrug:

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
That Arjung Clipper hotsale still a thing?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Emnity posted:

That Arjung Clipper hotsale still a thing?

Oh yeah, I just bought mine a few moments ago. Hiyya Orbital.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Sard posted:

Federal Corvette!

fuckin rad

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer

Sard posted:

Federal Corvette!

:allears:

Oh man. Do I want to fly air support for a wing of SRVs.

The beta must be coming up soon. It's just GOT TO. I neeeeeeeed it.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sard posted:

Federal Corvette!

Actually looks fun

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters

LCL-Dead posted:

Alas, I am not entirely witty and have been calling mine the Battle toad.

What are some witty ram related names for a Clipper?

horned toads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go
Space Romneys.
https://www.frontierstore.net/game-extras/elite-dangerous-game-extras/gold-anaconda.html

• Locked thread