Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

prefect posted:

I have not been paying sufficient attention:

In 1915, Ernest Shackleton, sent by Winston Churchill, sought out vibranium in the Antarctic. His ship, the Endurance, was lost. Later, Leonard McKenzie, with the telepath Paul Destine as a passenger, attempted to recover the Vibranium. Princess Fen was sent to investigate explosions near the surface by her father, King Thakorr. McKenzie met, fell in lovewith, and impregnated Princess Fen with the child who became Namor. Soldiers commanded by General Krang attacked McKenzie's crew. McKenzie himself did not die, though he did not recognize Namor later when he first learned of his son's rampages in New York.

I only remembered there was a sailor named MacKenzie who fell in with an Atlantean, and the sailor got attacked.

The idea that this imperious, proud ruler of the vast seas of planet Earth would use the surname of his sailor father, instead of the one of his royal lineage, is hilarious.

Speaking of Namor, early FF is amazing.

From Fantastic Four #4.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cyphoderus posted:

The idea that this imperious, proud ruler of the vast seas of planet Earth would use the surname of his sailor father, instead of the one of his royal lineage, is hilarious.

Maybe in Atlantean culture you are compelled to use the name of your father.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Here lies the only good Fear Itself tie-in

Marvel Graphic Novel #72

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It is right to fear the Tiger Style.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I just love how Freddy of all people has this "Ew" pose going on like he just touched something horribly icky.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Marvel Graphic Novel #72

This is what New Retro Wave covers aspire to.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Freddy saying "bitch" has been kind of ruined for me by Rick & Morty.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this? posted:

I'm sure Dan and Justin had that among their goals.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Gavok posted:

That's a nice shotgun you have there.

That looks suspiciously similar to the artwork from Frank Miller's Robocop run we saw earlier. Is that a coincidence or...?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Cangelosi posted:

That looks suspiciously similar to the artwork from Frank Miller's Robocop run we saw earlier. Is that a coincidence or...?

Every single Avatar book looks like this.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Marvel Graphic Novel #72

Man would I have loved the poo poo out of this as an image on a folder I bought like at the book fair in 4th grade.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

that implies you wouldn't put that image on a folder you'd use at your job now :colbert:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah 4th grade nothing I want to hang that in my cube.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
I want it on a shirt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Joe Jusko is the loving best.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just love how the trading cards all say Namor's dumb as a brick.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

that implies you wouldn't put that image on a folder you'd use at your job now :colbert:

I'd need a job first instead of being a disabled waste of space.

:smith:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
What's the scale, though? What's considered 'Normal human'?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bloodly posted:

What's the scale, though? What's considered 'Normal human'?

On the cards I had, "2" was like an IQ of 100 and "3" was genius.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yeah, I read those back to back, so it's all a blur. I had a phase where I bought a bunch of comics based on horror franchises after enjoying a few issues of Army of Darkness.

Guess what, most comics based on horror franchises are loving terrible.

What? Don't you like Clive Barker's Razorline?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yeah, I read those back to back, so it's all a blur. I had a phase where I bought a bunch of comics based on horror franchises after enjoying a few issues of Army of Darkness.

Guess what, most comics based on horror franchises are loving terrible.

While the Hellraiser comic was uneven it did have some good stories using the premise. Oddly enough, Clive Barker's were the worst of the bunch.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Random Stranger posted:

How the gently caress does that robot dude's cape work? It's like...covered in panels and stuff. Is it a solid object? He's grabbing it like it's cloth. Is it just fabric patterned like fuckin Warlock then? Why can't I go down to the JoAnn's and get some 90s comic book robot print fabric?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Travis343 posted:

How the gently caress does that robot dude's cape work? It's like...covered in panels and stuff. Is it a solid object? He's grabbing it like it's cloth. Is it just fabric patterned like fuckin Warlock then? Why can't I go down to the JoAnn's and get some 90s comic book robot print fabric?

Robot couldn't afford a giant sheet of fabric, so he quilted together a bunch of scraps he could find. Don't poorshame.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

90's as gently caress.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The lack of feet seems almost intentional.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The lack of feet seems almost intentional.

Damnit you beat me to it. Also maybe 1 hand that had any effort put into it.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Random Stranger posted:

When I was a dumb kid I probably would have thought this was cool as hell, but at this point in my life the only thought I have is "how the gently caress does a guy with giant straight razors for hands wipe his rear end?"

e: I mean, aside from "very carefully". Or "practice, practice, practice!"

e2: goddamnit

the future is WOW fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 23, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Mentalizer posted:

When I was a dumb kid I probably would have thought this was cool as hell, but at this point in my life the only thought I have is "how the gently caress does a guy with giant straight razors for hands wipe his rear end?"

Carefully.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Razor Fist has people do that for him.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

I never read Hyperkind, and I only got a few issues into Hokum and Hex mostly out of laziness, but what I did read of Razorline was pretty good. First of course there's the Harrowers spin off of Hellraiser using the characters from Clive Barker's story in the original comic, which is great because these guys are terrible at their job. Like, New Guardians level terrible. And after just a few issues up and quit. Barker himself has used the term "Harrowers" for people who fight Pinhead several times since.

Then there's Saint Sinner, totally unrelated to the syfy channel original movie some years back besides the name. In it a dude is possessed by both an angel and a demon. He initially gets thrown in alien jail and during the escape attempt he dicks over one of the prisoners just cause the devil side tells him to. But shortly after that the series gets all kinds of trippy and weird.

Ectokid is about a dude in NOLA whose father was a ghost. He wears an eyepatch and when he switches eyes for it can see and interact with the ghost world. It was pretty good, and crossed over with Saint Sinner at one point. Started out written by James Robertson, and then later the Wachowskis took over.

Hyperkind seemed dumb. Just an average "group of teens get superpowers and go up against shadowy agency" deal. Most of the characters on that poster are from that.

I should go back and read Hokum & Hex. It was really good and post modern, skewering the medium. This average schmo somehow gets powers cosmic, but his day job is as a gag style magician, so like, he fights threats with card tricks and rubber chickens. Meanwhile, there's some great ideas in there like, the earth about to be taken over by a race of religious fundamentalist missionaries that are super polite and kind to everyone, or then an intergalactic bounty hunter that's totally not Angela from Spawn that is completely inept and hopes catching the protagonist will make her finally get a real career...it's a lot of fun.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
He's like the eternal goon arguments of how to properly wipe your rear end and the pros and cons of using a straight razor smashed together.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Choco1980 posted:

I never read Hyperkind, and I only got a few issues into Hokum and Hex mostly out of laziness, but what I did read of Razorline was pretty good. First of course there's the Harrowers spin off of Hellraiser using the characters from Clive Barker's story in the original comic, which is great because these guys are terrible at their job. Like, New Guardians level terrible. And after just a few issues up and quit. Barker himself has used the term "Harrowers" for people who fight Pinhead several times since.

Then there's Saint Sinner, totally unrelated to the syfy channel original movie some years back besides the name. In it a dude is possessed by both an angel and a demon. He initially gets thrown in alien jail and during the escape attempt he dicks over one of the prisoners just cause the devil side tells him to. But shortly after that the series gets all kinds of trippy and weird.

Ectokid is about a dude in NOLA whose father was a ghost. He wears an eyepatch and when he switches eyes for it can see and interact with the ghost world. It was pretty good, and crossed over with Saint Sinner at one point. Started out written by James Robertson, and then later the Wachowskis took over.

Hyperkind seemed dumb. Just an average "group of teens get superpowers and go up against shadowy agency" deal. Most of the characters on that poster are from that.

I should go back and read Hokum & Hex. It was really good and post modern, skewering the medium. This average schmo somehow gets powers cosmic, but his day job is as a gag style magician, so like, he fights threats with card tricks and rubber chickens. Meanwhile, there's some great ideas in there like, the earth about to be taken over by a race of religious fundamentalist missionaries that are super polite and kind to everyone, or then an intergalactic bounty hunter that's totally not Angela from Spawn that is completely inept and hopes catching the protagonist will make her finally get a real career...it's a lot of fun.

Could you provide the names for the characters in that poster, from left to right? I can pick some out, like Ectokid, but there are still too many questions.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Armata (red and gold armor), Logix (silver cape guy), Bliss (tits), Amokk (non-rear end-wiper), Ectokid (eyepatch), Saint Sinner (jacket and shades), Trip Munroe (sparkly lapels guy). Don't recognize the big yellow one.

(And looking at that pic, it is nice to realize how much Steve Skroce has improved as an artist.)

surc
Aug 17, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

Out THERE. NOT in here.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Random Stranger posted:

I like how all the faces are just variations of :saddowns:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Selachian posted:

Armata (red and gold armor), Logix (silver cape guy), Bliss (tits), Amokk (non-rear end-wiper), Ectokid (eyepatch), Saint Sinner (jacket and shades), Trip Munroe (sparkly lapels guy). Don't recognize the big yellow one.

(And looking at that pic, it is nice to realize how much Steve Skroce has improved as an artist.)

I could be mistaken, but I think the yellow guy is the wonderfully named "Gorkill Corpus", one of those over-polite missionary alien invaders, who decides he actually thinks life on earth is pretty nifty and defects, becoming a good guy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
"Gorkill Corpus" sound like a character for the next Mad Max movie, somebody call Miller.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Mentalizer posted:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oqXVx3sBOk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

quote:

Ectokid is about a dude in NOLA whose father was a ghost

There are so many jokes running through my head its really hard to pick one