Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

alnilam posted:

So how significant is the underpayment penalty?

Considering my job started late Sept, how soon should i figure out how and how much to pay how often? Am i okay to slack on it the rest of this year (i mean, I'll pay in April, i just mean if i slack on the monthly payments for now), and start "doing it right" starting January?

e: thank you by the way

You might want to do some reading up on all this at irs.gov, dude. IC is a totally different beast than being an employee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah i was hoping there was a simple answer but it looks like there's not, thanks for giving me some idea of the right direction for what to read about. I'll do some reading and maybe come back here with some questions later.

God damnit national labs, why you gotta be so complicated

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

uberwekkness posted:

While I was digging last night, I heard that I can do this as a sole proprietor, get their info with a W-9, and cut them a 1099 at the end of the year. Would that work too? Simplicity would be great, but obviously I don't want to do the wrong thing here, and have it come back and bite me in the rear end.

I see this wasn't answered. There are some legal and IP ownership issues implied with what you propose here (In that as the sole proprietor, you would basically own the IP unless another agreement was reached between the company and your partner.) Also the 1099 route your partner will need to pay a bunch of taxes etc.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Okay, I got a little more info digging around on what the IRS says about contractors. I'm doing better but I'm still a little confused about something.

The IRS defines indenepdent contractors here and it doesn't seem to fit my situation. They even specifically say

IRS posted:

If an employer-employee relationship exists (regardless of what the relationship is called), you are not an independent contractor and your earnings are generally not subject to Self-Employment Tax.

I'm paid by a sort of umbrella organization for post-docs, and even some PhD students, who work in a certain chain of government labs. We post-docs are paid through this organization so that we don't have to be federal employees, but I hardly ever interact with that organization and my bosses are federal employees here at the lab. My position is technically called an "educational opportunity" and my salary is technically a "stipend," according to the organization that pays me. My terms of appointment letter for this post-doc says this (organization name redacted just in case):

Org that pays me posted:

All stipend payments and housing allowances paid by (XYZ) directly to the participant or on her/his behalf are considered taxable by the U.S. Federal government and should be reported annually.  Stipend payments are  not considered  wages and should  not be  reported as such. Participants will have  no  tax  withheld  by  (XYZ) from  their  payments  and should  consider  filing  Form  1040-ES  on  a  quarterly  basis  and  pay estimated  Federal  income  taxes  to  avoid  being  out  of  compliance  with  Federal  regulations  about  the  timeliness  of  tax payments.  

By accepting this appointment, the Participant agrees that s/he is NOT an employee of (XYZ).  The participant understands and  agrees  that  (XYZ),  therefore,  will  NOT  treat  participants  as  employees  for  income  tax  purposes.    The  participant acknowledges her/his understanding and agreement that s/he is personally responsible for her/his individual tax preparation and payment.

So XYZ is adamant that I am most definitely NOT their employee. But the IRS seems to suggest that I am an employee, even if not in name - at least insofar as I'm not a self-employed independent contractor. So which am I?

And what do I report my "stipend" as? XYZ tells me they are definitely not wages, but the IRS seems to suggest that they're not self-employment income either (and not subject to self-employment tax). I need to figure out this detail before I can figure out the rest of what I have to do here.

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

alnilam posted:

Okay, I got a little more info digging around on what the IRS says about contractors. I'm doing better but I'm still a little confused about something.

The IRS defines indenepdent contractors here and it doesn't seem to fit my situation. They even specifically say

I'm paid by a sort of umbrella organization for post-docs, and even some PhD students, who work in a certain chain of government labs. We post-docs are paid through this organization so that we don't have to be federal employees, but I hardly ever interact with that organization and my bosses are federal employees here at the lab. My position is technically called an "educational opportunity" and my salary is technically a "stipend," according to the organization that pays me. My terms of appointment letter for this post-doc says this (organization name redacted just in case):

So XYZ is adamant that I am most definitely NOT their employee. But the IRS seems to suggest that I am an employee, even if not in name - at least insofar as I'm not a self-employed independent contractor. So which am I?

And what do I report my "stipend" as? XYZ tells me they are definitely not wages, but the IRS seems to suggest that they're not self-employment income either (and not subject to self-employment tax). I need to figure out this detail before I can figure out the rest of what I have to do here.

Hmmm yes the contract says "this person is definitely not an employee!" therefore it must be so.

That, or the "organization" you're working for realizes that this relationship between them and their "contractors" is really an employer/employee relationship and is (pointlessly) throwing language into the contract to make people like you believe that this is a legitimate arrangement (it's not). Nobody, especially the IRS, gives a poo poo about what that contract says. Based on what you're describing, however, this is definitely self employment income.

Is this "organization" somehow affiliated with your school? Are you going to be issued a 1099?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

alnilam posted:

Common test questions for determining 1099 status are like:

Who determines your hours?
Who determines where the work is to be performed?
Are you able to negotiate your pay?
Do you have a contract for X (hours / deliverable) for Y pay?
Does your engagement have specific start and stop dates, or a deadline?
Are you allotted specific periods of time off, are you required to inform about these in advance?

Note that this company wants to classify you as a 1099 employee so that you need to pay your own taxes and they don't need to pay your payroll taxes for you. They may be doing so illegally. Trying to fight with them about it may not go well for you, though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
But if you think that you are actually an employee and not an independent contractor, you can file an SS-8 form to request a determination by the IRS. If they agree, they will try and collect the payroll taxes from your employer.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

alnilam posted:

Here's a question that's perhaps so basic, I'm having trouble finding a basic enough answer.

I just got a new job where they withhold no taxes whatsoever. If you're curious, I was on a grad student stipend "salary" that was, well it was weird, but at least it was reported and taxes were withheld and I got a W2 and it made taxes pretty straightforward. Now I'm getting paid 3x as much as a post-doc "independent contractor," but I'm having nothing at all withheld and there's no reporting and no W2 :confused:

So I guess there are two options.

Option 1. I live my merry life and in April I gather my pay stubs and fill out forms and determine the fairly large sum of money I owe the IRS, and I pay it.
You don't know me so you have no reason to trust me on this, but please just assume for option 1 that I'm a good saver and I'll have no trouble with saving enough for the large yearly payment.

Option 2. I pay the IRS monthly, or quarterly, or whatever, based on an estimated amount of what I think I'll owe in April. Then in April, I compare what I did pay to what I should have paid and get a refund or I owe a little.

I know option 2 is a thing that it seems most people do (though I have no idea how to do it, paperwork-wise). But is there anything wrong with option 1? Would I get any penalties for doing option 1? Is there any reason not to do option 1, other than the danger of not saving enough?
Some things about underpayment that might apply to you:

1.) You are exempt from the penalty if you withheld or made estimated tax payments greater than what you paid in taxes last year. This means that if you suddenly make a lot more money this year (eg a job that triples your income), the amount you need to withhold to avoid the penalty is rather low.
2.) If you do owe an underpayment penalty, there is a difference between paying your taxes on tax day and paying them on January 1st (or earlier). Don't procrastinate, figure it out now!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

SoftNum posted:

Common test questions for determining 1099 status are like:

Who determines your hours?
I'm not "on the clock" or anything but I'm generally expected to be around during business hours, and to put in full time. Nobody explicitly tracks my hours in any sense, though.

quote:

Who determines where the work is to be performed?
My supervisors, who are federal employees; NOT the company XYZ that pays me.

quote:

Are you able to negotiate your pay?
Yes, but only with my supervisors, who are federal employees at the lab, and they pass on that info to the company XYZ.

quote:

Do you have a contract for X (hours / deliverable) for Y pay?
No. The output of my work is not explicitly stated in a contract. It's scientific research, which means progress is progress but you can't necessarily outline exact deliverables. However, for me to be in good standing in the job, I'm expected to make decent progress in the work.

quote:

Does your engagement have specific start and stop dates, or a deadline?
There were specific start and stop dates - it's a period of 1 year, with the possibility of renewal. My understanding is it's set up this way because the research team's budget isn't guaranteed year to year, so they can't promise anything, but it's likely to be renewed.

quote:

Are you allotted specific periods of time off, are you required to inform about these in advance?
Not in a formal sense. If I want some time off I can negotiate it with my supervisors (again, they are fed employees at the lab and do not work for XYZ).

I just wrote the HR sort of people at XYZ asking specifically if they consider me an IC and if I will receive a 1099. I'm guessing from what y'all have told me that the answer will probably be yes. This is pretty annoying considering I work in a federal lab on a government project, and the nonprofit XYZ exists solely to facilitate researchers working at various government labs. But I'm realizing it's probably not unusual for the government to contract work out in this way.

Also, I'm realizing that 2015 is going to be weird because I got W2 income until August, and then this weird non-W2 income starting in late September. So tell me if this sounds right: I use 1040-ES to estimate how much I would owe total for this year, subtract off what was withheld on my W2 from my old job (which I have to estimate based on 2014 because I didn't get pay stubs), and the remainder is what I ought to remit in January?

Regarding the poster above me, and I read about this in the 1040-ES too, am I correct here: I am allowed to use my 2014 taxes to estimate what my 2015 taxes will be, subtract what has been withheld at my old job, and remit the remainder in January? Like, I can just look at my old 2014 return, look at my total taxes paid, and copy that exact number to the 1040-ES as my estimated annual payment for 2015? Then I subtract off what has been withheld so far, and remit the remainder in January. Cause this sounds like the slightly lazier, easier option for me to do now (or at least, in January). I'm aware it means I'll end up owing money in April but as long as there's no penalty that's okay.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
My Dad died ten years ago. My estranged stepmom just contacted me for the first time since he died saying she'd been holding onto a Roth IRA where I'm the beneficiary. She wanted to surprise us on his 60th birthday. It's a lovely thought and I'm quite touched.

Unfortunately, my read of the tax code says by not taking RMDs it will be subject to a 50% penalty.

Any advice for me? I think I need to fill out form 5329 ASAP and plead ignorance, but I don't know what the chances are the IRS will be forgiving.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Okay so the HR-type people at the non-profit that pays my stipend got back to me, when I asked if I was an independent contractor, and if I would get a 1099.

XYZ posted:

Because participants are not employees, the payments you receive (stipend + insurance) are not considered wages and should not be reported as such. Stipend payments are payments made to you in order to help defray living expenses while you are engaged in your research participation program. 

XYZ will provide you with a Statement of Payments Form, which you should receive
the first part of February.  The Statement of Payments Form is similar to the 1099, in that it will give you the total amount of taxable income you received from XYZ during the previous year.  The language on the Statement of Payments Form is drawn from IRS language; it intentionally points someone reading it to conclude that a fellowship stipend is NOT subject to FICA tax.

In the event that a tax preparer (or the IRS) tells you that you have to pay FICA or self-employment tax, show them your Statement of Payments Form and the attached clip about the IRS administrative ruling on stipends, which applies to appointments like yours.  Those two documents together will clarify your tax status.

So uhhh... I guess I don't need to bother with fica/self-employment tax, so do I report my stipend (plus health insurance payments they make on my behalf) as.... misc income? All I'm being told is "do NOT report it as wages or salary" but nobody's telling me what I do report it as.

Also, should I worry that I'm going a significant portion of my life (I'm 28) without paying FICA tax at this point? Is my social security benefit going to be poo poo?

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

KS posted:

My Dad died ten years ago. My estranged stepmom just contacted me for the first time since he died saying she'd been holding onto a Roth IRA where I'm the beneficiary. She wanted to surprise us on his 60th birthday. It's a lovely thought and I'm quite touched.

Unfortunately, my read of the tax code says by not taking RMDs it will be subject to a 50% penalty.

Any advice for me? I think I need to fill out form 5329 ASAP and plead ignorance, but I don't know what the chances are the IRS will be forgiving.

The IRS has been extremely forgiving on the 5329 penalty if you attach a statement as to why you didn't get the RMD. What you do is calculate your taxes in 2015 as if whatever taxable impact your would have had in the prior ten years was taxable in 2015, pay said tax in the current year in full, and ask for forgiveness ("rectify the situation"). Simply state you were unaware of the Roth IRA and you had a family member responsible for the estate who neglected to inform you of the account and RMD requirements since his date of death.

Since it's a Roth, the tax hit probably won't be too bad, if any.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

alnilam posted:

Okay so the HR-type people at the non-profit that pays my stipend got back to me, when I asked if I was an independent contractor, and if I would get a 1099.

So uhhh... I guess I don't need to bother with fica/self-employment tax, so do I report my stipend (plus health insurance payments they make on my behalf) as.... misc income? All I'm being told is "do NOT report it as wages or salary" but nobody's telling me what I do report it as.

Also, should I worry that I'm going a significant portion of my life (I'm 28) without paying FICA tax at this point? Is my social security benefit going to be poo poo?

That's an unusual setup; my best guess would agree with you and report it on line 21 (write "stipend [dollar amount]" on the blank line next to the line to specify what it is) of the 1040. Can't find anything else to specify differently anyway.

As for FICA, the rule is you have to earn 40 "quarters" of SS taxed income of at least ~$1200 to qualify for the retirement benefits. So basically working 10 years at a standard job or paying SE tax as a contractor/business owner will do it. The actual amount you get is a different thing, related to average income you made. So don't panic, I imagine working at least 10 years before age 65 is something you can manage ;).

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

MadDogMike posted:

That's an unusual setup; my best guess would agree with you and report it on line 21 (write "stipend [dollar amount]" on the blank line next to the line to specify what it is) of the 1040. Can't find anything else to specify differently anyway.

As for FICA, the rule is you have to earn 40 "quarters" of SS taxed income of at least ~$1200 to qualify for the retirement benefits. So basically working 10 years at a standard job or paying SE tax as a contractor/business owner will do it. The actual amount you get is a different thing, related to average income you made. So don't panic, I imagine working at least 10 years before age 65 is something you can manage ;).

Thanks!

So it sounds like in January, i should pay what i expect my total tax to be this year, minus what was withheld at my old job, to avoid an underpayment penalty.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I might be wrong but I am pretty sure you need to pay your expected tax in December for this year. If you pay in January isn't it the wrong year?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

spwrozek posted:

I might be wrong but I am pretty sure you need to pay your expected tax in December for this year. If you pay in January isn't it the wrong year?
Estimated taxes are paid almost quarterly, April/June/Sept/January 15th.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p505/ch02.html#d0e6371

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Good to know. I have just adjusted my withholding from my real job to account for my rental income but I fully expect the government to be stupid about anything so thought I would ask.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

spwrozek posted:

Good to know. I have just adjusted my withholding from my real job to account for my rental income but I fully expect the government to be stupid about anything so thought I would ask.
I do the same with my W2 withholding to compensate for rental and my other small biz income. Because I am overpaying each year, it's not a concern! I find this easier than making estimated payments, and my non-W2 income is around 5-10% of my total gross income so, meh!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
This isn't crucial information to have, but how would I go about getting a ballpark figure of how my student loan interest effects my tax return? I've tried to look it up on google to avoid asking, but most of the articles are useless. I'm trying to decide my next move after aggressively paying my car off. I could either pay off my student loans as quick as possible and be debt free, or max my HSA, IRA (roth) and 401k (also roth) and pay the minimum on loans with about 2/3rds going to interest right now.

But back to the tax part. Is it impossible to know without all the wage figures and adjustments, or is there a set amount you can actually deduct? I know you can claim up to $2,500, and I believe I may have seen something saying you can only take 25% for a max of $625. Is that right? With that in mind, I would just figure 25% of whatever I paid?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Moneyball posted:

This isn't crucial information to have, but how would I go about getting a ballpark figure of how my student loan interest effects my tax return? I've tried to look it up on google to avoid asking, but most of the articles are useless. I'm trying to decide my next move after aggressively paying my car off. I could either pay off my student loans as quick as possible and be debt free, or max my HSA, IRA (roth) and 401k (also roth) and pay the minimum on loans with about 2/3rds going to interest right now.

But back to the tax part. Is it impossible to know without all the wage figures and adjustments, or is there a set amount you can actually deduct? I know you can claim up to $2,500, and I believe I may have seen something saying you can only take 25% for a max of $625. Is that right? With that in mind, I would just figure 25% of whatever I paid?

You can deduct up to $2,500 if your income, MAGI, is under $65k and the deduction is phased out up to $80k. Deductions lower your taxable income and since the tax rate for the $36,901 to $89,350 tax bracket is %25, the deduction saves someone in that tax bracket up to $625. You can find more information under the IRS Publication.

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
I received a gift of stock today from a relative. Everything I'm reading is indicating that I don't have to worry about paying taxes on this until I sell the stock and a gain is realized. So is it true I can basically let it sit in my brokerage account and not have to declare it as income or anything when I file taxes next year? Is that also applicable for state (Massachusetts in my case) taxes as well?

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

CapMoron posted:

I received a gift of stock today from a relative. Everything I'm reading is indicating that I don't have to worry about paying taxes on this until I sell the stock and a gain is realized. So is it true I can basically let it sit in my brokerage account and not have to declare it as income or anything when I file taxes next year? Is that also applicable for state (Massachusetts in my case) taxes as well?

Correct.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
Both my wife and I will be working for a foreign company in the Gulf (where there is no personal income tax, but I am aware of the requirement to file in the United States). Until 12/31 of this year, I'm employed by a US company living abroad. 1/1 I'll change over and she'll start. I'll be a salaried regular employee of a foreign company and she'll be a contractor, possibly for only a 6-month project.

Is there any benefit to either myself or her establishing an LLC or Sole Proprietorship or other legal entity to receive/report this income?

I'm thinking primarily in terms of either
a) deferring some of the collection of income for me (which will exceed the foreign income exclusion)
b) allowing me to create a Solo 401k to increase our ability to contribute to retirement accounts.

It may be the case that there's no benefit - her income will be under the exclusion, so entirely tax free. Mine will be significantly over (yay absurdly expensive housing) but I'll be an employee so I may not be able to tell them "write the checks out to Kaishek Consulting please".

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006

kaishek posted:

Both my wife and I will be working for a foreign company in the Gulf (where there is no personal income tax, but I am aware of the requirement to file in the United States). Until 12/31 of this year, I'm employed by a US company living abroad. 1/1 I'll change over and she'll start. I'll be a salaried regular employee of a foreign company and she'll be a contractor, possibly for only a 6-month project.

Is there any benefit to either myself or her establishing an LLC or Sole Proprietorship or other legal entity to receive/report this income?

I'm thinking primarily in terms of either
a) deferring some of the collection of income for me (which will exceed the foreign income exclusion)
b) allowing me to create a Solo 401k to increase our ability to contribute to retirement accounts.

It may be the case that there's no benefit - her income will be under the exclusion, so entirely tax free. Mine will be significantly over (yay absurdly expensive housing) but I'll be an employee so I may not be able to tell them "write the checks out to Kaishek Consulting please".

You're an employee. So no.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

Admiral101 posted:

You're an employee. So no.

Gotcha. I wasn't sure if it being for a foreign company made any difference. My wife, however would be a contractor. Does the fact that her income would all fall under the foreign exclusion mean that we'd derive no benefit from giving her a Solo 401k/anything else?

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006

kaishek posted:

Gotcha. I wasn't sure if it being for a foreign company made any difference. My wife, however would be a contractor. Does the fact that her income would all fall under the foreign exclusion mean that we'd derive no benefit from giving her a Solo 401k/anything else?

How long have you and your wife been living in this foreign country? When do you anticipate returning to the US?

edit: and I reread your original post - I read it at first as a US company paying you while you work abroad for the next year. You should be able to do some retirement contribution deferral - at least an IRA. I'll take a look at it.

Admiral101 fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 29, 2015

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

CapMoron posted:

As a practical matter, the relative's cost basis becomes your cost basis for a gift, so make sure you get PROOF somehow of what their cost basis is in the investment.

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

Admiral101 posted:

How long have you and your wife been living in this foreign country? When do you anticipate returning to the US?

edit: and I reread your original post - I read it at first as a US company paying you while you work abroad for the next year. You should be able to do some retirement contribution deferral - at least an IRA. I'll take a look at it.

Thanks - I know this veers into "pay someone" territory. We've been here since May, and are planning on staying indefinitely. I'll meet the requirements for the foreign income exclusion by spending the required number of days in the year period out of the country.

For the upcoming year, beginning on January 1, both of us will be working for a foreign company. That's where I wasn't sure if being an "employee" of a foreign company really matters for how I recognize that income in the United States (to a sole proprietorship, for example). It would be useful to be able to open up a Solo 401k both to transfer previously deductible IRAs into and to have a 401k, which I'll lose when I switch from a US company to a foreign one.

Expat thread: everything is harder.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
As a software contractor, if my boss and I mutually agree to lower my rate from X -> X-25% for a specific section of work(after it's done), can I deduct that 25% as a loss on my taxes?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

lord1234 posted:

As a software contractor, if my boss and I mutually agree to lower my rate from X -> X-25% for a specific section of work(after it's done), can I deduct that 25% as a loss on my taxes?

Like your work was so bad they are making you pay back 25% of what you were already paid? Or they haven't paid you yet?

Was this a condition of you moving into the different job at the same company or something? It sounds really weird.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Droo posted:

Like your work was so bad they are making you pay back 25% of what you were already paid? Or they haven't paid you yet?

Was this a condition of you moving into the different job at the same company or something? It sounds really weird.

Yeah, what the hell? They did work and then got negotiated into believing the work was poo poo and they should take a 25% haircut or what?

I don't see this as a deductible loss, trying would probably constitute fraud. Think about if this were a legitimate deduction, every business everywhere would be quoting on the basis that their actual rate would be less later on so they get tax-free money.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

baquerd posted:

I don't see this as a deductible loss, trying would probably constitute fraud. Think about if this were a legitimate deduction, every business everywhere would be quoting on the basis that their actual rate would be less later on so they get tax-free money.

I don't see the issue? If the employer originally was going to pay $100 to lord1234, then there were issues with the product and lord1234 agreed to credit (assuming lord1234 is accrual basis) or return $25 (for either cash or accrual basis) in lieu of a less than great product, there is no problem here for lord1234 so long as the $75 is properly claimed as income on the appropriate return (if the employer took the full $100 deduction on their return instead of $75, that's technically their problem/fault).

Horseshoe theory fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 4, 2015

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Droo posted:

What job at the same company? This is a hypothetical. I am not an hourly employee so this isn't about me...

baquerd posted:

Yeah, what the hell? They did work and then got negotiated into believing the work was poo poo and they should take a 25% haircut or what?

The scenario is this. Employee A has an hourly rate of X an hour. Bills for 80 hours. The contractor says, we feel like you overcharged us, either a) we'll pay you for the 80 hours, but there will be bad blood, leading to ending of the role or b) accept a 25% cut on the X rate (IE we'll pay you for 60 hours instead of 80) and we'll keep working together. It's a weird situation for sure, but it's definitely a loss somewhere right, since 20 extra hours were worked but not paid for?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I'm really confused. You're throwing around contractor and employee like they're interchangeable, but they're two distinct classes of employment with different laws regarding the retroactive changing of their rate of pay. What is the situation?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

NancyPants posted:

I'm really confused. You're throwing around contractor and employee like they're interchangeable, but they're two distinct classes of employment with different laws regarding the retroactive changing of their rate of pay. What is the situation?

contractor. Definitely an independent contractor.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

lord1234 posted:

The scenario is this. Employee A has an hourly rate of X an hour. Bills for 80 hours. The contractor says, we feel like you overcharged us, either a) we'll pay you for the 80 hours, but there will be bad blood, leading to ending of the role or b) accept a 25% cut on the X rate (IE we'll pay you for 60 hours instead of 80) and we'll keep working together. It's a weird situation for sure, but it's definitely a loss somewhere right, since 20 extra hours were worked but not paid for?

Was the 80 hours declared as income on the return?

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
Return hasn't been filed yet... But why would the contractor declare hours as opposed to a dollar figure? The contractor received a lower dollar figure...

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

lord1234 posted:

Return hasn't been filed yet... But why would the contractor declare hours as opposed to a dollar figure? The contractor received a lower dollar figure...

When you start playing tax games, it's just a headache. We just can these kind of clients, frankly. Tax preparer winds up getting dragged into their mess.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

lord1234 posted:

This. An "hourly" wage for a contractor isn't really a thing usually, it's just how to determine what the job should cost.

Which begs the question of how much longer you intend to keep contracting for a dirtbag who wants to lowball you after the fact (barring some, like, material defect in the work). That's a load of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
You declare how much money you made period would be my interpretation of what you're describing; the IRS doesn't care about "promised this much but got $X", they just want the $X income. If they actually paid you the money then wanted a refund, there is a refunds/returns line on the Schedule C where you would deduct that out (put the original full amount down as part of gross receipts in that case). Just double check any 1099-MISC they give you against how much you were actually paid to make sure; if they pay you less but put the full amount down on the 1099-MISC they may be trying to scam the IRS themselves so be sure you're accurate on your end (make sure you have very clear records of what they actually paid available - OK, "make sure you have clear detailed records" is pretty much rule one of any sort of tax stuff really, but this kind of story twigs my paranoia enough to emphasize that here). Anyway, my off-the-cuff assessment, and I'm just into my second year of doing taxes professionally so value it accordingly, this is the kind of thing I'd be walking over to the 10+ year veterans they usually team me with to double check ;).