Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

-Inu- posted:

I've beaded a Q2 with one of those. If you've ever attempted to seat the bead on a Dunlop, you'd know how impressive that is. Those pumps don't gently caress around, apparently.

I have ... That's nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yerok posted:

My lovely 900RR makes a single, soft popping noise under hard use of the front brakes. There's definitely noise due to the lack of backing plates on the pads but I thought it might be the stem bearings. I tightened the stem nut with a thin spanner wrench but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. Maybe the bearings are just bad.

What brand forks are they? I get the same on my bike, it turns out that showa forks make clunk-rear end noises like that. I thought it was bearings too, but nope they're fine.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah I went through that madness on my Uly before Sturgis. Apparently Showa forks are kind of noisy.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
They're Showa forks. I was actually reading something about the cause being the fork internals and I'm sure they're due for a rebuild anyway.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

For some reason my SV can't keep the rear tire planted in the rain in Seattle, It's crazy, squirms like a whipped cat on engine braking, and accelerating into a sharp right hander I ended up backing it in like a pro mx rider, I've ridden plenty in the rain with the same read tire on the R1, which makes comparable torque, and not had this issue, is it just Seattle's super awesome lovely concrete streets?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
what tire and pressures are you running?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elviscat posted:

For some reason my SV can't keep the rear tire planted in the rain in Seattle, It's crazy, squirms like a whipped cat on engine braking, and accelerating into a sharp right hander I ended up backing it in like a pro mx rider, I've ridden plenty in the rain with the same read tire on the R1, which makes comparable torque, and not had this issue, is it just Seattle's super awesome lovely concrete streets?

Mine did this too and I put it down to the SV's super lovely suspension.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

It is the same problem I had with the drz after the rear suspension blew. I'm pretty sure that's why I suddenly couldn't ride in the rain, and then crashed twice.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

It is the same problem I had with the drz after the rear suspension blew. I'm pretty sure that's why I suddenly couldn't ride in the rain, and then crashed twice.

:thumbsup:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

When the bike still flexed it rode great in the rain. :colbert:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

When the bike still flexed it rode great in the rain. :colbert:

Sure, but the truth is a lot less funny than the running joke that you can't ride and destroy every bike you touch.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Elviscat posted:

I'd blame King County roads. Slippery painted lines, abandoned rail tracks, wheel-gobbling pot holes, random slippery cobblestone. We've had irregular rain too, so when it does get wet it also gets oily.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Slavvy posted:

That's likely not the case with this particular SV

Although I do need to get someone who actually knows things about suspension to look over this setup and adjust to my weight.

cursedshitbox posted:

what tire and pressures are you running?

I have a Pirelli Diablo Rosso II with good tread in the rear, same tire I ran on m R1, front is a ContiAttack that needs replacing soon, both are kept at recommended pressure per label.

I'll put this down as being due to a light bike on a possibly too stiff suspension, thanks all.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

builds character posted:

Sure, but the truth is a lot less funny than the running joke that you can't ride and destroy every bike you touch.

But the truth is that he can't ride and destroys every bike he touches. It's not a running joke, it's reality.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

That's likely not the case with this particular SV

Although I do need to get someone who actually knows things about suspension to look over this setup and adjust to my weight.

I have a Pirelli Diablo Rosso II with good tread in the rear, same tire I ran on m R1, front is a ContiAttack that needs replacing soon, both are kept at recommended pressure per label.

I'll put this down as being due to a light bike on a possibly too stiff suspension, thanks all.

yeah might wanna learn to set your sag and dick with the clickers from there...

Label on the tires, or label on the bike? (go with the one on the bike)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

builds character posted:

If only you guys had seen what I did to my first car.....

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

If only you guys had seen what I did to my first car.....

That stands for pretty much everybody though. first car, first bike, first house...etc

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/5274960778.html

However I found you a bike :3:

E:VVV HAHA

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 22, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
the poor first girlfriend....

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

the poor first girlfriend....

I'm the PO that left it cosmetically perfect with absolutely wrecked insides.

At least I did plenty of oil checks!:iamafag:

cursedshitbox posted:

That stands for pretty much everybody though. first car, first bike, first house...etc

The Ghettomobile got up to around 250k miles...

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
is anyone else absolutely terrified to ride in the rain?

I ended up riding through a little popcorn thunderstorm and I was freaked the gently caress out the entire time, until I ended up through it and back in dryness.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nitrogen posted:

I ended up riding through a little popcorn thunderstorm and I was freaked the gently caress out the entire time, until I ended up through it and back in dryness.

It isn't the rain that scares me, it's the water on the road. The minutes immediately following a sun shower on a summer's day are the pits.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

Only on chinese dirt tires. and even then, not so bad.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

Yeah I hate riding in the rain, the last time I did I crashed

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Riding in the rain or on wet pavement isn't too scary, but I live where it rains about 9 months out of the year. I also have good (for rain) tires on my bike. I had a little back-end skate out last fall, so I replaced the stock garbage tires with some Michelin Streets and they've been great.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I rode through multiple supercells and had the time of my loving life every time. I love riding in the rain, but I'm a tiny minority.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

nitrogen posted:

I run Pilot Road 4s and have more grip in the rain than I do in my car. Hitting standing water is sketchy though

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I had to ride the entire way from Tulsa to Plano in the rain once, and that cured any fear I had about it. The bike handled it amazingly well but I was miserable because I didn't have a rainsuit at the time. My head was the only dry part of me.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

M42 posted:

I love riding in the rain, but I'm a tiny minority.

I don't see what your size or skin color has to do with it. :colbert:

I don't like riding in the rain, and won't if it's freezing out and I have a choice, but it's not so bad. Had the back kick out on the 250 in the rain a month or so ago and it was fine. Kind of fun, if I wasn't so worried about the fairings. Oddly, I don't remember it being an issue ever on the SV. I had a harder time keeping it upright when it was dry out. :eng99:

Watch me crash the next time it rains, now that I've said that.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I love riding in the rain. The only time it bothers me is rain + strong wind or raining enough to make it impossible to see out of my visor. Everything else is great!

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Are there any decent cheaper rain suits?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

subx posted:

Are there any decent cheaper rain suits?

You can always throw a set of Frogg Toggs over your Dianese Spacesuit.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Wal-Mart makes poncho sets that work pretty good as rain suits. They just don't last a long time.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Stupid Newbie Question:

Where do I keep my insurance/registration on my motorcycle? there's no really nice secured place to keep them. I'm thinking of just putting them in a ziploc bag and lightly taping it to the underside of the seat.

Is there a better way? Bike is an '02 Bonneville.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
that or airbox. I keep mine in my wallet.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

In a waterproof passport bag in my jacket.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You can get one of these too. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/biltwell-stash-tube

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

That's actually kind of cool. I'm also looking up building up a little tool roll, and I suppose I could get a little thin plastic/PVC pipe and keep them in there inside the tool roll.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Fishvilla posted:

Stupid Newbie Question:

Where do I keep my insurance/registration on my motorcycle? there's no really nice secured place to keep them. I'm thinking of just putting them in a ziploc bag and lightly taping it to the underside of the seat.

Is there a better way? Bike is an '02 Bonneville.

I fold them up and put them in my wallet. I am never without my wallet.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I put my registration and insurance card for the bike in a ziploc bag under the seat, under the rubber straps that held down the tool bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

-Inu- posted:

I've beaded a Q2 with one of those.

gently caress. What size?
Qualifiers have always been a pain to take a bead. They're easy to get on the wheel, but do not like to expand.