Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
If i can easily pull into a parking spot after fueling, I will. If the spots are full, or I'm still blocked in, I'll leave my car at the pump. I have no problem with people parking at the pump before or after fueling, as pre-pay and post-pay still exist in the world, but parking at the pump and not fueling is a pretty dick move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PT6A posted:

I feel like maybe I've been overly considerate by, after getting gas, moving my car to an actual parking spot before going into the gas station to purchase whatever.

It depends on the gas station/time of day. I fill up at a lot of stations in the middle of nowhere. If I get there and there's six pumps and one other person, yeah, I'll just leave my car at the pump. If there's a line, I'll pull around and park in a regular spot after pumping.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

SneakyFrog posted:

this is dreadfully common in orlando.

Orlando seem to also be home to the "dumb as poo poo left turn that makes no sense."

People constantly turn right onto a street, then block traffic sitting with their left turn signal on, vs driving through the light, then turning right into their destination.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

EightBit posted:

gently caress that guy. If I want to go in after getting gas, I move to a non-fuel parking spot.

Ya, the selfish park at the pump mentality is just annoying to no end. Once, a few years ago, I went to this one station in my area. It's actually really big. A lot of pumps, one of those car washes with 5 or 6 spaces you can pull your car into to hand wash, a line a vacuums and air hoses, and a lot of empty space around it. This place gets quite busy during the summer, with people waiting in line at the pumps sometimes.

Off to the side is a little icy stand. One time I pull up behind a car at the pump. The lady at the pump sees me there, knows I'm waiting for my turn, and actually says to me "I'll be right back" before walking over to wait in line at the icy stand instead of moving her car to any of the wide open empty space that is not in front of the pumps. Really, lady?

And you just know that half the people who pull this kind of poo poo would be pissed off if they were inconvenienced in a similar fashion.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

toplitzin posted:

Orlando seem to also be home to the "dumb as poo poo left turn that makes no sense."

People constantly turn right onto a street, then block traffic sitting with their left turn signal on, vs driving through the light, then turning right into their destination.

This (and most other things people say are regional) actually happen everywhere. And it is super annoying. But Orlando is not alone. They're everywhere.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The are the pedestrians you share railways with: two people have been killed, in two separate incidents over the past two days in my city, after getting run over by LRTs. How do you gently caress that up? It wasn't even in the downtown area where there's a possibility the train doesn't have right-of-way -- in the rest of the city, the train gets 100% priority.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Murphys Law posted:

Ya, the selfish park at the pump mentality is just annoying to no end. Once, a few years ago, I went to this one station in my area. It's actually really big. A lot of pumps, one of those car washes with 5 or 6 spaces you can pull your car into to hand wash, a line a vacuums and air hoses, and a lot of empty space around it. This place gets quite busy during the summer, with people waiting in line at the pumps sometimes.

Off to the side is a little icy stand. One time I pull up behind a car at the pump. The lady at the pump sees me there, knows I'm waiting for my turn, and actually says to me "I'll be right back" before walking over to wait in line at the icy stand instead of moving her car to any of the wide open empty space that is not in front of the pumps. Really, lady?

And you just know that half the people who pull this kind of poo poo would be pissed off if they were inconvenienced in a similar fashion.

Agreed. Also that move was pretty icy

I'm so sorry

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Gas station chat: in the UK, it's standard to pump your fuel, go pay, and then drive off. No one moves their car between filling up and paying.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I think there was talk of buying other poo poo rather than just paying for fuel. That's a loving dick move.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I pretty much always just leave my car at the pump. Usually I am only going in to use the bathroom or get a coke as quick as possible. The only time I move is if all the pumps are full or someone is waiting for my pump.

Simply put, backing out of gas station parking spots sucks balls. In a normal parking lot I have traffic coming from the left and right and they have usually been through a few turns to scrub off some speed. At a gas station, traffic is coming from the left, right, and behind from the pumps, as well as some assholes who like to hook a sharp turn into the pump inches away from hitting your car. gently caress gas station parking lots.

In related news, at 9am yesterday I was walking out of Target. I stopped at the side of the crosswalk, which has stop signs people love to ignore, and the car approaching to my left stopped so I started to cross. Approximately halfway through some self entitled oval office turned into the cross walk from the aisle to the right. I made eye contact with the bitch and she just kept inching forwards. I stared at the lady the whole time as I finished crossing and she never came to a full stop, I had to dodge back to the left to not get hit. As soon as she could clear me she passed behind me close enough that I reached out and punched her window passenger side window with my fist. Maybe that was a dumb thing to do, but it felt good at the time.

GutBomb posted:

This (and most other things people say are regional) actually happen everywhere. And it is super annoying. But Orlando is not alone. They're everywhere.

What I hate are people coming from the south of the picture who make a left at the intersection than dive across all 4 lanes to turn into the very first drive. It's why there are a lot of intersections i refuse to turn right on red at when the opposite left is going.

Edit* gently caress Android keyboards.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 22, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jeherrin posted:

Gas station chat: in the UK, it's standard to pump your fuel, go pay, and then drive off. No one moves their car between filling up and paying.

You don't have pay-at-the-pump? Obviously, if you're paying cash, they get a little nervous if you get in your car and start to drive off, but if your gas is already paid for, then you should move your car before going inside.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

PT6A posted:

You don't have pay-at-the-pump? Obviously, if you're paying cash, they get a little nervous if you get in your car and start to drive off, but if your gas is already paid for, then you should move your car before going inside.

Ah not everywhere has it because CRIME :/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PT6A posted:

Obviously, if you're paying cash, they get a little nervous if you get in your car and start to drive off,

My dad once sent me inside to pay for gas and then decided to pull around while I was waiting in line.

Cashier: Pump #5 is making a run!
Me: No, I have cash for that pump, it's fine!

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KroxfDhnk8s

I'm astounded how many people get out to yell at the driver heading down the correct lane of traffic. Like "WHY ARE YOU ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE ROAD?! NOW YOU'RE BLOCKING ME FROM GOING DOWN THE WRONG SIDE!"

I also like the lady so committed that she pops the hood like "oh no, car trouble, I can't move"

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 22, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Scruff McGruff posted:

I'm astounded how many people get out to yell at the driver heading down the correct lane of traffic. Like "WHY ARE YOU ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE ROAD?! NOW YOU'RE BLOCKING ME FROM GOING DOWN THE WRONG SIDE!"

I also like the lady so committed that she pops the hood like "oh no, car trouble, I can't move"

Close captioning with auto-translate to English fails hilariously on that video.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

EightBit posted:

gently caress that guy. If I want to go in after getting gas, I move to a non-fuel parking spot.

I'd say situational context has a lot to do with this. Filling up in the middle of the day and most/all the pumps are occupied? Sure, I'll move to a parking space if I'm going inside. Filling up later and/or when the pumps are mostly deserted? I'll leave it parked at the pump. Most of the gas stations I frequent have 15+20 pumps and they're only stacked one deep so this may not work at a smaller station with pumps stacked two or three deep.

If you're not pumping gas and the station isn't dead gently caress you for parking at a pump though.

PT6A posted:

Obviously, if you're paying cash, they get a little nervous if you get in your car and start to drive off

Can you still post pay with cash in Canada? Pretty much every gas station in the US won't authorize the pump unless you prepay with cash or swipe your card at the pump.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 22, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Geoj posted:

Can you still post pay with cash in Canada? Pretty much every gas station in the US won't authorize the pump unless you prepay with cash or swipe your card at the pump.

Depends on the area and time of day in Alberta at least, although it might be changing soon, since some foolhardy gas station employee took it upon herself to try and stop a gas 'n' dash and got run over. It's just gas! Not even your gas! The dude has a license plate, and the whole thing's been caught on video. Why would you risk your safety to try and stop them?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Last time I was up in the boonies of Michigan's UP I went to pre-pay cash at a station and the clerk got really confused looking at her pump display then finally realized I hadn't actually pumped any gas yet so she laughed told me to go gas up then come back to pay. I was so confused because that's the first time I've ever seen a place let you gas then pay. One of those rural area charms I guess.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

There's a gas station in the town I grew up in that still offers full-service (and not due to laws like in some other places).

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Scruff McGruff posted:

Last time I was up in the boonies of Michigan's UP I went to pre-pay cash at a station and the clerk got really confused looking at her pump display then finally realized I hadn't actually pumped any gas yet so she laughed told me to go gas up then come back to pay. I was so confused because that's the first time I've ever seen a place let you gas then pay. One of those rural area charms I guess.

I think the pay before paying deal happened more back when gas prices skyrocketed from like $2 a gallon up to $4-5 a gallon and people were stealing fuel. Had a lot of those reports before they did the "pre-pay or CC only" at the pumps. I bought a locking gas cap during that time because people were literally siphoning gas out of other cars when they didn't want to pay to fill up. It's a mix here, some are pre-pay or CC, others don't care and you can pump, then pay.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 22, 2015

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

PT6A posted:

I feel like maybe I've been overly considerate by, after getting gas, moving my car to an actual parking spot before going into the gas station to purchase whatever.
I stopped doing that after my plates got stolen. I just don't want to deal with the hassle of the gas station owner thinking that I am the oval office that stole gas from them.
It's embarrassing enough to have to walk into the station and prepay for gas because my plates trigger the gas thief warning system.

It's probably inconvenient to the next person wanting to fill up, but not nearly as inconvenient as dealing with agitated staff because they thought I was going to run off with 42 litres of euro98.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
I thought everybody had to prepay for gas these days.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
At Kwik Trip stations in the midwest, I'm routinely asked at the register if I have any fuel to pay for outside. Maybe I look like one of them octane snatcher types

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Speaking of getting gas, this happened to me recently. This station has three pumps in a line with the first pump having diesel. First two spots are free, the third is taken. I pull in following another car who stops at the middle while I'm planning to take the first. Normal so far. This car then starts reversing and I just sit there wondering what he's doing. He signals with his hands that he wants the first pump so I figure, OK I guess he needs the diesel, that's reasonable. I pull out to take the middle instead, and it turns out that it was out of order and this guy just wanted to take my loving spot after committing to another. The station was full so I couldn't just get onto another pump.

I guess the lesson here is, don't be nice because no one else will be either.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Murphys Law posted:

I thought everybody had to prepay for gas these days.
Given your username I can't be sure whether you're just getting the poo poo end of the stick. But, no prepayment for gas is an embarrassing concept here. That's something Belgians do. It's just too drat inconvenient to have to walk into the shop twice. You just fill up and walk into the store and tell the clerk pump number four. They trust you because most people aren't petty loving thieves who'd steal €80 of gas.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Uthor posted:

It depends on the gas station/time of day. I fill up at a lot of stations in the middle of nowhere. If I get there and there's six pumps and one other person, yeah, I'll just leave my car at the pump. If there's a line, I'll pull around and park in a regular spot after pumping.

Yeah, I'm in this category. I actually fill up more at Costco than anywhere else so there's almost always a line, and there is no convenience store, so it's a moot point there. Most of the time when I fill up at a different station, there's plenty of open pumps. I think maybe once in the past year I've pumped and then moved, and it was at a station that was the last stop for at least two or three different car / Jeep / motorcycle clubs all doing different runs on the same day so it was crowded as gently caress.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Deedle posted:

Given your username I can't be sure whether you're just getting the poo poo end of the stick. But, no prepayment for gas is an embarrassing concept here. That's something Belgians do. It's just too drat inconvenient to have to walk into the shop twice. You just fill up and walk into the store and tell the clerk pump number four. They trust you because most people aren't petty loving thieves who'd steal €80 of gas.

Where do you live? I live in Maryland, USA. I usually just swipe my card at the pump but on the rare occasions that I've paid cash I have had to pay first. And, yes, it is a bit annoying if you've overpaid and have to go back in for change, but usually I just ask for less than it will take to fill up my tank and the pump cuts off when I reach the amount I paid.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
Netherlands, about 20km from the border with Germany.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Here's Tuesday.

Here's Wednesday.

Here's today, Thursday.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 23, 2015

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Deedle posted:

Even in Belgium it's not very common, most places either have you pay at the pump directly or only have the prepay requirement in the evening/at night(if they're even open then, Belgium is godawful about places being open after 8 PM due to stupid laws), and during the day they'll allow either paying at the pump or filling up and then going in to pay.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

trouser chili posted:

Here's Tuesday.

Here's Wednesday.

Here's today, Thursday.

Man, that guy on Wednesday really hosed up the guardrail.

The people I share a road with have decided over the past few days to sit at green lights. One guy, after hearing me and the guy behind me lay on the horn for a good 20 seconds, only starts moving once the light was yellow, and I was stuck for a whole 'nother cycle. Unfortunately I couldn't pass since it's a busy two lane road intersecting another busy two lane road. How the gently caress are people that oblivious?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
In Australia, prepay is pretty rare.
In the 1990s they tried out prepay at the pump, but abandoned it because no-one would go into the shop to buy snacks etc which is the franchisees profit margin, so it was disabled. Most BP shops still have that gear on their pumps, but shoved a metal plate over it.
One servo chain brought back pay at the pump in ~2011 if you have their credit card/store card/are a taxi. But otherwise you have to go into the shop and post pay.

The very worst and dodgiest areas have prepay (ie you have to go into the shop and pay cash/card) on their furthest/around the corner pumps. But 90% is post pay in cash/card in the shop.

If it's very busy with cars parked behind me I've often moved forward so someone else behind can start pumping, but the clerks don't like that. So if it's not a busy station, me and everyone else in the country leave their cars parked at the pump while they go in and pay.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 23, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
We don't really have prepay in the UK. Pay at pump will authorise your card before the pump starts, and tell you a maximum spend for the transaction (generally £99 I think), but I've never encountered actual payment of a certain amount before dispensing fuel.

Bikers get some nonsense about helmets off (hassle) and not fuelling while astride the bike (how do you hold it vertical, then?) at a lot of places.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
In Sweden we have pay at the pump with card, or press a button to fuel up and pay in shop. I'll probably not go to any station that requires me to park, go in and estimate how much I want to fuel up, pay and fuel up.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

mentholmoose posted:

Man, that guy on Wednesday really hosed up the guardrail.

Something I learned from the Trinity guardrail scandal is that the ends of the guardrail are supposed to give way when struck head on like that. Depending on the design, you may notice that the first few to several posts holding the ends of a guardrail are of a different materiel or design from the posts holding the middle span. These end posts, typically made of wood, are supposed to break to soften a head on collision.

Otherwise, they would skewer the car and its occupants which is exactly what happened in the aforementioned scandal. In an effort to reduce costs, Trinity altered the design of their guardrail to reduce the amount of material used but didn't test the new design which was inadvertently stronger and would not give way as easily.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Edward IV posted:

Something I learned from the Trinity guardrail scandal is that the ends of the guardrail are supposed to give way when struck head on like that. Depending on the design, you may notice that the first few to several posts holding the ends of a guardrail are of a different materiel or design from the posts holding the middle span. These end posts, typically made of wood, are supposed to break to soften a head on collision.

Otherwise, they would skewer the car and its occupants which is exactly what happened in the aforementioned scandal. In an effort to reduce costs, Trinity altered the design of their guardrail to reduce the amount of material used but didn't test the new design which was inadvertently stronger and would not give way as easily.

I hadn't heard of this, but you definitely weren't kidding

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, you also see roads where they've put the barriers BEHIND the streetlights/phone poles, so the only function they serve is to neatly guide a car straight into one.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

InitialDave posted:

We don't really have prepay in the UK. Pay at pump will authorise your card before the pump starts, and tell you a maximum spend for the transaction (generally £99 I think), but I've never encountered actual payment of a certain amount before dispensing fuel.

Bikers get some nonsense about helmets off (hassle) and not fuelling while astride the bike (how do you hold it vertical, then?) at a lot of places.

I think most Americans cognitively lump pay-at-the-pump with prepay because we are touching the magic money card before pumping. True pre-pay requires waddling all the way inside. Technically, swiping the card before pumping charges $1 to make sure the card works, then replaces that $1 charge with the final full charge after pumping. For some folks, it lingers as a $1 charge on their bank website for a week.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

InitialDave posted:

You put it on the center stand or get a bike with an off-center gas cap (that's mine) or you accept that you'll be 1/16th of a gallon short of totally full.

I always get off to fill partly due to my off-center cap, but partly because it's good to stretch my legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Finally have a story for this thread. Driving on a 35mph back road doing about 40 when a bro truck flies up behind me, tailgates and then passes me. Blows through the stop sign ahead and he disappears. Then I come around a corner about a mile later to car that smashed into a telephone pole and bro trucker was pulled over near it. The stupid gently caress hit the other car and caused the accident. I waited there and told the cops about how he was driving. gently caress that stupid rear end in a top hat. I so wish I was driving my truck with the dash cam at the time.