Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Smythe posted:

another savage sick update: We're sorry, but your operating system is not currently supported by SlingPlayer for web. Please use either Mac OS X or Windows OS . Click here for more information.

better do what it says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

loving libGL.so.1

also i installed the prop nvidia drivers, lost all my xfce theme stuff and text rendering. booted up yesterday and magically it's all back. thanks debian

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my name is Reginald P Linux

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hte p is for pighammer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

b0red posted:

loving libGL.so.1

also i installed the prop nvidia drivers, lost all my xfce theme stuff and text rendering. booted up yesterday and magically it's all back. thanks debian

debian has packages for nvidia proprietary drivers, and those packages handle the libGL.so.1 and all other diversions just loving fine

if you choose not to use the packaged drivers, and just run a universal shell script installer written by an intern at nvidia ten years ago, you should not be at all surprised when random poo poo breaks all over the system. you're trying to fix a watch with a hammer

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The Debian packaged version won't handle Optimus cases where you have more than one GPU on a laptop, which is becoming increasingly common. NVIDIA wrote libglvnd for this case, but Debian won't ship it.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Suspicious Dish posted:

The Debian packaged version won't handle Optimus cases where you have more than one GPU on a laptop, which is becoming increasingly common. NVIDIA wrote libglvnd for this case, but Debian won't ship it.
speaking of nvidia, they still won't do kms, right?

do you know if they've got any plans of supporting wayland?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ever since I left Red Hat, I lost contact with them, so I'm just as in the blue as you guys are. In May, we saw an update to their driver that added a "nvidia-modeset" device. Whether it works or not, I have no idea.

Otherwise, there are plans, but I don't know any update besides last year's XDC talk. http://www.x.org/wiki/Events/XDC2014/XDC2014RitgerEGLNonMesa/

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

debian jessie is still shipping nvidia version 340 drivers

in the meanwhile we have bumblebee, which renders off-screen and then uses the intel driver to copy it. works fine

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
was wondering a couple nights ago how many times faster than a SPARCstation 5 the original Raspberry Pi is, how many orders of magnitude would it be in raw CPU and graphics perf

then I wondered what kind of difference there'd be with that SS5 running SunOS 4.1.3 or Solaris 2.6, and that same SS5 running Linux. how much worse would Linux be?

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
SPARCstation 5 had either a 110 MHZ microsparc-II or 170 MHZ TurboSPARC. WIkipedia says that the turbosparc was comparable to a 120MHZ Intel Pentium. In-order execution. Up to a whopping 16 kb of L1 and 1MB of L2 cache.

Raspberry PI Model A had a 700 MHZ ARM11 processor. Out-of-order (debatable) capabilities, SIMD instructions, and hardware accelerated decoding make it tough to do anything except direct comparisons on specific operations.

This is especially true if the SIMD instructions would be useful. Orders of magnitude, likely.

As for Linux vs SunOS, I'm confident that Linux would hold its own and be as good, if not better. As long as you strip out all of the trash processes, of course.

For example, the Titan Supercomputer was the top supercomputer when introduced three years ago and runs Cray Linux. The distribution is different for login nodes and compute nodes.

If there was a chance that sparc would have been faster, I'm sure they would have brought it on board. Even a tiny advantage would end up being impressive due to the sheer scale of it all.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
so yeah, we got the big data and small data servers and clouds locked up, what about the desktop

(yes, I know mainframes still exist but are you really gonna be that pedantic guy who says that xeon racks will always be scrub tier?)

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Suspicious Dish posted:

Ever since I left Red Hat, I lost contact with them, so I'm just as in the blue as you guys are. In May, we saw an update to their driver that added a "nvidia-modeset" device. Whether it works or not, I have no idea.

Otherwise, there are plans, but I don't know any update besides last year's XDC talk. http://www.x.org/wiki/Events/XDC2014/XDC2014RitgerEGLNonMesa/
i haven't heard much about it, i figured if someone would know anything it would be you

it's good to hear that they're actually working on it though

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

was wondering a couple nights ago how many times faster than a SPARCstation 5 the original Raspberry Pi is, how many orders of magnitude would it be in raw CPU and graphics perf

graphics would be orders of magnitude. the sun graphics are essentially a dumb framebuffer, the raspberry pi has an all-singing all-dancing modern gpu architecture.

cpu would be a much smaller gap than you might imagine. especially if you use an SS20 instead of an SS5 (same chips, different memory architecture). it's strong in all the places a cellphone ARM is weak: instructions per clock, memory latency, memory bandwidth.

eschaton posted:

then I wondered what kind of difference there'd be with that SS5 running SunOS 4.1.3 or Solaris 2.6, and that same SS5 running Linux. how much worse would Linux be?

in micro-benchmarks, linux shits all over solaris on the same hardware

in real world performance, it doesn't matter that much

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

celeron 300a posted:

SPARCstation 5 had either a 110 MHZ microsparc-II or 170 MHZ TurboSPARC. WIkipedia says that the turbosparc was comparable to a 120MHZ Intel Pentium.

the turbosparc came out in 1996. it competed with early pentium IIs, at much higher clock rates. (badly.) turbosparc was meant to be cheap, not fast. and it didn't really turn out to be either one

a more interesting comparison would be 80 MHz supersparc

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
my main memories of sparc workstations are that they were hideously slow compared to similarly-priced x86 hardware, and the only reason we kept using them for so long was that we had a bunch of sparc binaries with ancient code that was not trivial to compile for x86 instead

this was only about 10 years ago though, things may have been different 20 years ago

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
risc/unix stopped being price competitive with x86 in the early 90s, when 386/486 became affordable

the only way they limped along for another 10 years was the availability of big machines. in the 1990s, x86 smp was so bad it wasn't worth doing. so you bought your developers overpriced and underpowered sparc workstations, then deployed code on 4- and 8-processor unix boxes with ~*~ multiple gigabytes ~*~ of ram

when intel released nehalem in 2008, that was the last nail in the coffin. post-nehalem, you can build 4-8-16-32 processor intel boxes that will do just as well as their risc counterparts

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
tell us your true opinions on itanium

pram
Jun 10, 2001
HPUX ftw

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Soricidus posted:

my main memories of sparc workstations are that they were hideously slow compared to similarly-priced x86 hardware, and the only reason we kept using them for so long was that we had a bunch of sparc binaries with ancient code that was not trivial to compile for x86 instead

this was only about 10 years ago though, things may have been different 20 years ago

My main memories of Sparc were in college when I was limited to putting around with CDE and trying to find the drat compiler. This was in 98, when Linux was still considered to be a hobbyist OS to bring UNIX to x86 computers. To my horror and amusement, compilers for Solaris were not free and I had to do something special to gain access to it. The graphics were crisp but slow. The normal command line arguments didn't work (a good example was ps), and reading /proc taught me nothing.

Still, I thought it was cool. All of the novelty was in the fact that I was web browsing on a computer that wasn't a Mac or a Windows computer, on an OS that treated the command line as a first class citizen and had a pedigree that spanned decades.

Now, I probably won't even bother to learn Solaris or HP-UX even if I was paid, unless there's a good chance that it'd help my career in Linux device driver development.

Also, it's pretty cool that we live in an age where even Microsoft will give away software development tools for free for commercial use.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I used to hang out at a lab with a Digital workstation. Even though it had an insanely high clock speed (maybe 600 mhz or something? when the average desktop was 300 mhz) it didn't feel very fast at all. And the bus speed was really slow, to boot.

Pretty funny to think about now, I guess.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

pram posted:

HPUX ftw

hot piss user experience

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

what is the best unix

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Apple Operating System X 10.11 El Capitan

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
huh, looks like there's a linux that's actually a unix these days. inspur k-ux. never heard of it before.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That's niche, a Chinese RHEL clone for mainframes.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
i'm just surprised that someone finally bothered after all these years

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
who pays attention to SuS, like, at all? doesn't it still mandate the really awful STREAMS interface they tried to shove into POSIX a while back?

IRIX and Tru64 are SuS compliant.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

STREAMS was required for conformance with the Single UNIX Specification versions 1 (UNIX 95) and 2 (UNIX 98), but as a result of the refusal of the BSD and Linux developers to provide STREAMS,[citation needed] was marked as optional for POSIX compliance by the Austin Group in version 3 (UNIX 03). POSIX.1-2008 with TC1 (IEEE Std 1003.1, 2013 edition) has designated STREAMS as 'marked obsolescent'[14][15] meaning that said functionality may be removed in a future version of the specification.

thanks wikipedia

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

The Windows NT kernel offered a full port of STREAMS as the streams.sys binary. NT DDK even had a chapter on STREAMS, going as late as NT4 though in NT4 DDK it was declared obsolete. The original TCP/IP stack for Windows NT 3.1 was implemented atop STREAMS by Spider Systems, and used the streams.sys binary.

:pwn:

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

carry on then posted:

what is the best unix

for generic x86 servers? linux

for particular ultra expensive servers? AIX. just don't try compiling anything primarily targeting Linux and expect anything but a total ball ache though

for quite literally any other purpose? OS X

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

pram posted:

thanks wikipedia

so its been irrelevant ever since 2003

much like the SuS

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

shitface posted:

for particular ultra expensive servers? AIX. just don't try compiling anything primarily targeting Linux and expect anything but a total ball ache though

not even ibm believes this

linux is available on their most expensive POWER boxes and they actively push it as the preferred choice

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

HPUX ftw

for the last seven years hp has been talking about doing superdome boxes that support both xeon and itanium, so they can run linux, windows, and hp-ux workloads on the same system architecture, just changing the line items as necessary for a given order

this year they announced their new superdome X. it's 288 cores in 1/4 of a rack, instead of 256 cores in two racks. and it's x86 only. and linux only. because lol @ enterprise anything on windows.

itanium is dead.
hpux is dead.
windows is one foot in the grave.

linux/x86 supremacy.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

celeron 300a posted:

I used to hang out at a lab with a Digital workstation. Even though it had an insanely high clock speed (maybe 600 mhz or something? when the average desktop was 300 mhz) it didn't feel very fast at all. And the bus speed was really slow, to boot.

Pretty funny to think about now, I guess.

dec sold some insanely fast RISC boxes with one* of the worst unix systems ever, "digital unix." it was a derivative of osf/1, so it was mach-based, with all the ugly problems that implies

linux on dec alpha had 1/10th the overhead of the vendor unix.

dec didn't really care about this since their core market was their proprietary operating system, vms. and vms on alpha was demonstrably faster than vms on vax.

*the absolute worst-ever unix was also a dec product: ultrix. but that's another story for another day

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dec sold some insanely fast RISC boxes with one* of the worst unix systems ever, "digital unix." it was a derivative of osf/1, so it was mach-based, with all the ugly problems that implies

linux on dec alpha had 1/10th the overhead of the vendor unix.

Yup, we had linux installed on that dec workstation.

There were rumors of an SGI/IRIX box too, but I don't think anyone would have wanted to touch it with a 50 foot pole without a clear path to getting a working Linux on it. So, I guess it probably just sat there gathering dust, which probably just made it more valuable.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

for the last seven years hp

who buys hp servers

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

pram posted:

HPUX ftw

Someone reset the pram, I think it's corrupted.

No, I think you also have to hold down the closed-apple key. Maybe another letter? Lemme ask siri.

pram posted:

Apple Operating System X 10.11 El Capitan

Much better.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it was sarcasm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Suspicious Dish posted:

who buys hp servers

According to Gartner, there are enough buyers to move 534,559 shipments in Q1 2015, about 22.6% of the market (if I'm reading these things right).

But yeah, if any of them are actually Itanium running HP-UX, it would be a small number. HP execs are saying that it's mission critical stuff like telecoms, with contracts to 2025. Nothing like vendor lock-in to guarantee those sweet profits.

EDIT: Maybe a lot of it is HP themselves when they are providing services in general.

celeron 300a fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 25, 2015