Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

His campaign 2.54cm'd along, but in the end he wasn't able to go the full 8.2296m. 0.45kg for 0.45kg, Bernie and Hillary are just better campaigners.

Ironically, he'll be best remembered for the time he measured himself in stone.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "We're going to have to do something that's pretty hard. Pretty, pretty, pretty hard, to quote Larry David" ~ Bernie Sanders

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Autistic restaurant worker goes unpaid for hundreds of hours

http://wpri.com/2015/10/20/autistic-restaurant-worker-goes-unpaid-for-a-year/

quote:

The Dyls said their son did not report to work for about two months for various reasons, including state budget issues and a time period when Caleb transitioned from being considered a juvenile to an adult. They estimate their son worked about 350 hour

It's not enough to not pay him less than minimum wage now they just want free labor

Jesus this get's me started on the whole loving concept of work programs like this. Yes , studies have shown that people who have developmental disabilities have improved quality of life when they work and interact in people in a group setting.

HOWEVER , most of the these jobs like Wal Mart etc... are not a way for them to socialize and work in a group with other people in fact it's usually assembly line repetitive tasks.

Ugh. It's such a hard thing to argue about though because on one hand the person really enjoys the work and it makes them happy on the other hand gently caress these companies for taking advantage of people

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 23, 2015

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Feel the chaffe!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hollismason posted:

It's not enough to not pay him minimum wage now they just want free labor

Jesus this get's me started on the whole loving concept of work programs like this. Yes , studies have shown that people who developemental disabilities have improved quality of life when they work and interact in people in a group setting.

HOWEVER , most of the these jobs like Wal Mart etc... are not a way for them to socialize and work in a group with other people in fact it's usually assembly line repetitive tasks.

Ugh. It's such a hard thing to argue about though because on one hand the person really enjoys the work and it makes them happy on the other hand gently caress these companies for taking advantage of people

Don't forget Papa Johns, another Right Wing hero, getting sued and losing for $800k of wage theft.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

Joementum posted:

Speaking of the President of the Senate...

quote:

GOP presidential candidate Ted Cruz signaled the Senate parliamentarian should be ousted or ignored if a full repeal of Obamacare is deemed to violate budget rules.

The budget reconciliation rules allow legislation through the Senate without the customary filibuster threats and need for 60 votes, but impose severe restrictions on content not related to budgeting, under a rule named for former Sen. Robert C. Byrd.

“At the end of the day, the Senate parliamentarian is an employee of the Senate. Virtually every Republican campaigned promising full repeal,” Cruz said Thursday. “And a great many promised explicitly full repeal on reconciliation, and we should do exactly what we said we would do.”

... wait for it...

quote:

In reality, Senate Republicans could not easily disregard an opinion by the parliamentarian that is favorable to Obamacare.

That’s because the procedural rulings are actually made by the Senate’s presiding officer. While customarily it is a Republican in the chair, Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. is the president of the Senate. Biden thus could come to the Senate chamber when the reconciliation bill reaches the floor and make the procedural calls.

:boom:

A few pages back but seriously, I would pay good money to see that. And can you just imagine Biden having the biggest poo poo-eating grin on his face while doing something like this...

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Joementum posted:

A bounty of goods

Good lord stop. You have to inject this stuff slowly, not force it all in at once.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Hollismason posted:

It's not enough to not pay him minimum wage now they just want free labor

Jesus this get's me started on the whole loving concept of work programs like this. Yes , studies have shown that people who developemental disabilities have improved quality of life when they work and interact in people in a group setting.

at last the motivation behind vaccine induced autism is laid bare

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just a reminder it's perfectly okay to pay persons with developemental disabilities less than minimum wage.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The NY Times goes with a not-so-subtle editorial take on yesterday's hearing with their front page.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Since this will probably be my last opportunity to ever point this out, he kinda looks like Colin Mocherie.

Edit: Also, welcome back Joementum, I was legitimately worried that you were dead. :ohdear:

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 23, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

The NY Times goes with a not-so-subtle editorial take on yesterday's hearing with their front page.

Everyone is either using the smiling pic or the one with her looking bored as hell, this has been a great cycle for her since the debate.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

Just a reminder it's perfectly okay to pay persons with developemental disabilities less than minimum wage.

There are very specific rules about it, though. If they are doing work comparable to what anyone else would be doing in that job, they should be paid a comparable wage.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I'm in Martha Roby's district. The local right wing radio host started off this morning saying the Benghazi committee blew it and made Hillary look presidential. If that is the word here, they really hosed up.

He also called for everyone to vote out Roby over this.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Now it's Bernie's chance to.... to.... kick out the JAMMS motherfuckers

quote:

Mr. Sanders will have alumni of the bands Guster and MC5 performing.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Deadulus posted:

I'm in Martha Roby's district. The local right wing radio host started off this morning saying the Benghazi committee blew it and made Hillary look presidential. If that is the word here, they really hosed up.

So has everyone officially given up on pretending this isn't a politically motivated witch hunt? Deep down everyone knew exactly what this was but they aren't even attempting to hide it anymore.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Rhesus Pieces posted:

So has everyone officially given up on pretending this isn't a politically motivated witch hunt? Deep down everyone knew exactly what this was but they aren't even attempting to hide it anymore.

Sounded like it's getting there. Radio host kept saying what was the purpose of this hearing and was echoed by his callers. So they are almost there.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Deadulus posted:

My Kentucky Facebook feed is filling up with claims that the drat RINOs dropped the ball again and didn't ask the right questions. Gowdy, Roby, Pompeo, and Brooks are all now RINOs to them and must be expunged. Jim Jordan was the only one who was really trying, but those other RINOs kept holding him back.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Apparently the announcer bringing him up on stage for his withdrawal speech mispronounced Lincoln Chafee's name.

Man, that final indignity had to sting

Someone asked about how the GOP is spinning the hearing, Brian York at the Washington Examiner is trying to make hay of the fact Hillary emailed Chelsea that it was an attack and then the next few days the admin talked about the video. And the more nutty parts are claiming she violated the espionage act because Blumenthal had in his payroll a former intelligence guy who passed info to Sid who passed it to Clinton (the declaration gets inserted here that it was leaked to the intelligence guy by democrat intelligence officers breaking classification because democrats are all traitors). Some of what was passed were names. Some of those names may have been the names of classified sources (this is presented as fact that they were despite the fact we don't know because the classified sources are classified). Hillary sharing that information knowing it contained classified information even if it didn't come from classified sources = violation of the espionage act. Go ahead and count how many implicit assumptions and leaps in logic are present there.

By 90s standards this is a fairly tame conspiracy theory.

Donald Trump is in 2nd for the second Iowa poll in as many days, pulling 19 to Carson's 28.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Joementum posted:

Yeah HRC is getting positive coverage from the least likely sources . It's been a good few weeks for her.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There are very specific rules about it, though. If they are doing work comparable to what anyone else would be doing in that job, they should be paid a comparable wage.

Yes, there are "rules" about it but sometimes they are not enforced. It's a huge issue right now in disability rights. There are very good arguments to be made on both sides of it.

http://watchdog.org/83209/policies-tax-dollars-enrich-goodwill-execs/

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/25/19062348-disabled-workers-paid-just-pennies-an-hour-and-its-legal

quote:

The non-profit certificate holders can also place employees in outside, for-profit workplaces including restaurants, retail stores, hospitals and even Internal Revenue Service centers. Between the sheltered workshops and the outside businesses, more than 216,000 workers are eligible to earn less than minimum wage because of Section 14 (c), though many end up earning the full federal minimum wage of $7.25.

This is where the problem comes in with Sheltered Workshops. It's just a really easy to abuse system when there is very little oversight. Understand States benefit greatly from these services.

They even passed a law :

http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2014/07/22/obama-law-limiting-sheltered/19538/

However there are reasons why we have these sheltered Workshops:

http://www.npr.org/2015/04/14/395287097/advocates-fight-to-keep-sheltered-workshops-for-disabled-workers

They do real good in peoples lives. Work helps with depression. It gives them social interaction they may not otherwise have etc... It's a very complicated issue. It's not just " Sheltered Workshops are bad". You also have to think what the individual would want. Their income is supplemented by SSI generally which means that they get more income in their lives, their happy, and they like what they do.

What do you do in that situation?

I can't find the story right now but there was one Non Profit that had this program, had to end it, and people still came to work to do the job because they just enjoyed meeting with their friends.

Just very difficult issue.

Employment within the disability community is a huge issue as well. Its just hard to find work.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 23, 2015

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Magugu posted:

I work a half mile away from there. Talking with some cops this morning at the gas station they said a dude got pissed off because he was losing while they were gambling and decided to "keep it real."

While it was a shooting on a school campus, it wasn't your traditional "I'm pissed off at the world and I'm gonna take a few people with me" type of school shooting.

Fake edit: gently caress, I just classified school shootings :negative:

An excellent argument for campus carry, though. If only those other guys had guns.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

we have ended up like that old cliche about eskimoes having multiple words for snow

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Hollismason posted:

Yes, there are "rules" about it but sometimes they are not enforced. It's a huge issue right now in disability rights. There are very good arguments to be made on both sides of it.

http://watchdog.org/83209/policies-tax-dollars-enrich-goodwill-execs/

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/25/19062348-disabled-workers-paid-just-pennies-an-hour-and-its-legal

This is where the problem comes in with Sheltered Workshops. It's just a really easy to abuse system when there is very little oversight. Understand States benefit greatly from these services.

They even passed a law :

http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2014/07/22/obama-law-limiting-sheltered/19538/

However there are reasons why we have these sheltered Workshops:

http://www.npr.org/2015/04/14/395287097/advocates-fight-to-keep-sheltered-workshops-for-disabled-workers

They do real good in peoples lives. Work helps with depression. It gives them social interaction they may not otherwise have etc... It's a very complicated issue. It's not just " Sheltered Workshops are bad". You also have to think what the individual would want. Their income is supplemented by SSI generally which means that they get more income in their lives, their happy, and they like what they do.

What do you do in that situation?

I can't find the story right now but there was one Non Profit that had this program, had to end it, and people still came to work to do the job because they just enjoyed meeting with their friends.

Just very difficult issue.

Employment within the disability community is a huge issue as well. Its just hard to find work.

Is working at an Applebees more or less demeaning when you're disabled? Because I can think of far better ways to socialize people.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

Republicans posted:

An excellent argument for campus carry, though. If only those other guys had guns.

If only everyone had guns then there would be no more shootings, check and mate liberals.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fried Chicken posted:

Apparently the announcer bringing him up on stage for his withdrawal speech mispronounced Lincoln Chafee's name.

Man, that final indignity had to sting

Someone asked about how the GOP is spinning the hearing, Brian York at the Washington Examiner is trying to make hay of the fact Hillary emailed Chelsea that it was an attack and then the next few days the admin talked about the video. And the more nutty parts are claiming she violated the espionage act because Blumenthal had in his payroll a former intelligence guy who passed info to Sid who passed it to Clinton (the declaration gets inserted here that it was leaked to the intelligence guy by democrat intelligence officers breaking classification because democrats are all traitors). Some of what was passed were names. Some of those names may have been the names of classified sources (this is presented as fact that they were despite the fact we don't know because the classified sources are classified). Hillary sharing that information knowing it contained classified information even if it didn't come from classified sources = violation of the espionage act. Go ahead and count how many implicit assumptions and leaps in logic are present there.

By 90s standards this is a fairly tame conspiracy theory.

Donald Trump is in 2nd for the second Iowa poll in as many days, pulling 19 to Carson's 28.

:lol: at all of this.

If Trump has collapsed to Carson, it's smooth sailing for Jeb! or Rubio cause Carson will be easily dispatched.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Since Webb was the first dem nominee to drop out after the debates you could honestly say that Chafee's campaign defied expectations. :v:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
So with an Army man dead in a hostage rescue mission in Iraq, will this lead to more Benghazi style select committees?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If Trump has collapsed to Carson, it's smooth sailing for Jeb! or Rubio cause Carson will be easily dispatched.

Maybe not Jeb!:

quote:

@breakingpol: Jeb Bush orders pay cuts for all campaign staff, removes some senior staff from the payroll - @business https://t.co/aY8QzaUqxo

Tick, tock....

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Trump is still far ahead in NH last I checked and it's still too early to tell if Carson is just riding a Not-Trump wave like Fiorina did after the second debate.

Still, listening to Michael Medved be seriously depressed about Trump and Carson being far and away the two front runners has been very entertaining.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Iowa is filled with really crazy religious people. Carson is the obvious choice for them.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Carson worries me but I strongly doubt he will be able to get away with only ever staring off into the middle distance and slowly talking about some unrelated, far-right talking point when asked about anything, in any context

...right?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Maybe not Jeb!:

Tick, tock....

Jeb?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It's getting there. Besides the head of the committee making himself a laughing stock nationwide by admitting it's all political theater, they just grilled Clinton for an 11 hour marathon session and got...half of a damning soundbyte when she was asked if she was having a nightcap during the Benghazi event. Not a full one though since it was a really dumb question and half of the room laughed with her. Even FOX is having to admit she looked pretty strong, and while Drudge refuses to admit she did well the best attack he could come up with was "I'm worried about HRC's health! She had a massive coughing fit and lost her voice after only a mere 10 hours of talking!"

If sanity had any grip on these people I would imagine it would pack up pretty quickly. Just admit defeat and move on to the next embarrassment of their life, but we all know which choice a Republican would take when given the option of quitting while ahead or doubling down.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Epic High Five posted:

Carson worries me but I strongly doubt he will be able to get away with only ever staring off into the middle distance and slowly talking about some unrelated, far-right talking point when asked about anything, in any context

...right?

To me Carson is just never personable. He has no fire and he's a pretty straight boring character. It's like he saw the republicans make fun of Al Gore in 2000 and said "you think that's bad? watch this!"

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Epic High Five posted:

...right?

Not in a general election but in this primary? Who knows?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

About that

Jeb Bush cuts campaign salaries across the board

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

I hedged!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I'm not sure if you understand the appeal of a soft spoken, racist as gently caress black neurosurgeon. Seriously, a man as brilliant as him validating both your racism and you idiotic beliefs is kind of big for quite a few people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

...right?

Carson should only worry you to the extent that his rise could send Trump off the deep end before he fully kills Bush and Rubio's campaigns.

Hold fast Donald. Hold fast.

• Locked thread