Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The advanced repair bot is nice and affordable. I like dicking around in Privateer and grinding out missions though. A good one is to stack other missions with the story missions so you can make the most money per trip. If you find a couple that are on your way, you can easily bring home 30k each mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Meanwhile, in the interest of shameless self-promotion: the anime capitalism simulator I worked on some years ago is now on GOG, along with its action-RPG predecessor:

https://www.gog.com/game/recettear_an_item_shops_tale

https://www.gog.com/game/chantelise_a_tale_of_two_sisters

People have rather liked Recettear in particular over the years, and have been asking for it to be on GOG for a while. Hopefully people enjoy it, and don't think I'm once again bringing the anime doom upon a PC platform :v:

The 60% off sale for both games will last a full week.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Recettear is a super cool game that's charming as gently caress and SpaceDrake is a super cool dude, pick it up if you haven't already.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Chantelise is also fun, if shallow.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Unless the mere concept of anime is enough to make you break out in hives, you should probably consider giving Recettear a chance.

The peripheral dungeon crawling aspect is a bit whatever, but the core mechanics of shop management which will most likely take up the lion's share of your time are engaging and engrossing.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I am not ashamed in the slightest to say that Recettear is a game that got me through some very difficult times and its super cute, fun, charming and actually kinda difficult when you really get deep into the mechanics! Go buy it, is what I'm saying!

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah, Recettear is really fun. Surprised no one else ever tried the idea before considering how well it plays out. Incredibly addicting.

Chantelise I didn't really like but that type of game never really appealed to me anyways.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

Unless the mere concept of anime is enough to make you break out in hives, you should probably consider giving Recettear a chance.

The peripheral dungeon crawling aspect is a bit whatever, but the core mechanics of shop management which will most likely take up the lion's share of your time are engaging and engrossing.

Additionally, it's very cute.

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.

Fetus Tree posted:

I have great news, let me tell you about this series called call of duty,

Ohh please, continue...

:cheers:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

The Age of Decadence has gone under my radar completely. It seems like a kind of RPG that can be either incredibly dense and frustrating or incredibly good, if the writing is good. Anyone have any impressions?

I revisited Republic Commando yesterday, was glad to see it still holds up. Kept me up half the night, something about the pacing and balance just makes me want to go through it in one sitting. Also glad to see there are quite a lot of patches and (terrible) mods still up on moddb.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

The Age of Decadence has gone under my radar completely. It seems like a kind of RPG that can be either incredibly dense and frustrating or incredibly good, if the writing is good. Anyone have any impressions?

I revisited Republic Commando yesterday, was glad to see it still holds up. Kept me up half the night, something about the pacing and balance just makes me want to go through it in one sitting. Also glad to see there are quite a lot of patches and (terrible) mods still up on moddb.

I haven't jumped into it myself, but this youtube video is quite informative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWeXFOTU-vE

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

SpaceDrake posted:

People have rather liked Recettear in particular over the years, and have been asking for it to be on GOG for a while. Hopefully people enjoy it, and don't think I'm once again bringing the anime doom upon a PC platform :v:

I've been looking for a game to try on my Steam Link once it arrives, and I haven't played this much since I bought it on your Steam launch week. Thanks for the reminder!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

double nine posted:

I haven't jumped into it myself, but this youtube video is quite informative: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWeXFOTU-vE

Thanks, looks like I'll have to at least try it out sometime.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I figured out why a lot of games from GOG were crashing on startup, I doubt this will help anyone else but just in case.

I sometimes use an AOC portable monitor with my laptop which uses DisplayLink. Something about the DisplayLink drivers doesn't like things that bypass DWM and this was what was causing my crashes. They have a tool that disables/re-enables the driver (Needs a restart, otherwise it doesn't work), so all my problems are now solved.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Hey, remember when GOG released old games? Have the entire Falcon series of flight sims! Falcon 3.0 includes the MiG-29 and Operation Fighting Tiger add-ons, as well as the "Art of the Kill" book and video about air combat that was included with some versions. Falcon 4.0 is part of the Extras downloads and provided "as-is", which is... reassuring.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 23, 2015

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

The Kins posted:

Hey, remember when GOG released old games? Have the entire Falcon series of flight sims! Falcon 3.0 includes the MiG-29 and Operation Fighting Tiger add-ons, as well as the "Art of the Kill" book and video about air combat that was included with some versions. Falcon 4.0 is part of the Extras downloads and provided "as-is", which is... reassuring.

Makes me hope they can get their hands on Falcon 4.0: Allied Force, which used the same engine and included a number of fan mods and official fixes. Definitely one of my favorite flight sims ever, though leaned hard into the "sim" thing, and has an essentially vertical learning curve. I haven't been able to find it digitally, though it's cheap on Amazon. No idea where my copy is at the moment, but I'm sure I must have had it on disk, since there are no digital options available.

I think Atari holds the rights at the moment? The developer page last updated in 2008.

e: Also as a warning, the Amazon page suggests that it runs fine on Win8.1, but not 10.

ABen fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 23, 2015

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Does anyone knows anything abouit "Hard West"?

http://www.gog.com/game/hard_west?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=game_subject&utm_campaign=Retro_Mishmash_New_EN

Many times I promised to myself to never preorder games anymore, but Im a sucker for turn-based squad level games and it works on linux.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Does anyone knows anything abouit "Hard West"?

http://www.gog.com/game/hard_west?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=game_subject&utm_campaign=Retro_Mishmash_New_EN

Many times I promised to myself to never preorder games anymore, but Im a sucker for turn-based squad level games and it works on linux.
I backed it and it's shaping up really well, go for it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I backed it and it's shaping up really well, go for it.

Alright then, I will.

But fortunately I looked it up on steam before buying and its a lot cheaper there.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

ABen posted:

Makes me hope they can get their hands on Falcon 4.0: Allied Force, which used the same engine and included a number of fan mods and official fixes. Definitely one of my favorite flight sims ever, though leaned hard into the "sim" thing, and has an essentially vertical learning curve. I haven't been able to find it digitally, though it's cheap on Amazon. No idea where my copy is at the moment, but I'm sure I must have had it on disk, since there are no digital options available.

eh, AF has been blown out of the water by BMS

http://www.bmsforum.org/forum/content.php

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3633891

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Excellent, I just caught a post on it on RPS as well. Might have to pick up this version then, thanks!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sword of the Samurai is one of the best "too old to play but incredible to see as a source for future games".

It's a sequel to Pirates and has that same similar gameplay loop but adds in troop control for land battles similar to Total War. It's probably the direct inspiration for Total War and possibly EU/CK

Worth a buck or two to chop ronin in half

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

It's a shame that Star Wars Rebellion is so obtuse, I'm really starting to get into it despite how unhelpful the manual is.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Testekill posted:

It's a shame that Star Wars Rebellion is so obtuse, I'm really starting to get into it despite how unhelpful the manual is.

As a kid, I never was able to wrap my ahead around Vader, Palpatine, or Luke training others in the force. Some of the mechanics are really goddamn weird.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gaghskull posted:

As a kid, I never was able to wrap my ahead around Vader, Palpatine, or Luke training others in the force. Some of the mechanics are really goddamn weird.

I remember I found the Emperor on one of the enemy planets early on and I had the planet blockaded. I power-trained Luke by basing him on the fleet and send him on a mission to the planet. He'd fail every time but because of the "encounter with the emperor" event he'd increase in force strength. Since the planet had no troops (orbital bombardment ftw) I had no risk of Luke getting captured.

By the time he went to Dagobah Luke was a jedi student. When he got back he was a jedi master with insane god-tier stats.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Gaghskull posted:

I liked the Jedi randomization because it would produce goofy things like Jedi Chewbacca and Lando. Rebels kind of get screwed in terms of the force because you have to wait ~200 days for Luke to get back from Dagobah before he can start detecting force sensitives, then you have to level him up to master so he can train others. You get Leia as a guaranteed force user but it's kind of wasted on her other than raising her diplomacy a bit. I guess it's a little balanced out by the fact that there's more commando type heroes on the Rebel side so you have the potential for better Jedi fighters.

As far as finding force sensitives, I believe you have to be on planet with Luke/Vader/Palpatine or even have to go on a mission with them. Easiest way I've found was to go en masse on an espionage mission with Vader and a bunch of new recruits to see who can use the force when they get back. I rarely used the actual force training mission because I found it easier and more effective to level Jedi by sending them out to blow up poo poo.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Just saw the three new releases on GOG today... this might be the happiest day of my life.

<sniff> I'm a bit verklempt... talk amongst yourselves.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Fantastic, GOG is going to have to start venturing deep into some emulated doings and whatnot at this rate as a full sweep of all that was classic D&D is tantalizingly close now.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Links for the lazy:

Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession and Ravenloft: Stone Prophet
Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn and The Dark Queen of Krynn
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, and Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Fantastic, GOG is going to have to start venturing deep into some emulated doings and whatnot at this rate as a full sweep of all that was classic D&D is tantalizingly close now.

Not a D&D game, but I would like them to have a go at D.W. Bradley's Wizards and Warriors. It is possible to get it to run on modern systems, especially the videos in-game, but I managed it and with GOG's wizardry I bet that they could do it with aplomb.

Apart from the NOLF games, which are obviously a different stripe of cat, my GOG wish list is pretty much ticked off by now. Even though the first two are basically shite and I never played the third, I would kind of like to see War of the Lance/Dragons of Flame/Shadow Sorceror, if only for completion purposes.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

They are still missing Segasoft stuff, which would be a challenge to 1) get the rights for, 2) get it running on modern systems. Emperor of the Fading Suns, Rocket Jockey, and a bunch of other titles. I want them all to be historically preserved.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

And this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Shadow

I am sure it is coming some time soon...

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I also just remembered those two Buck Rogers games that were done in the Gold Box Engine, Countdown to Doomsday and Matrix Cubed, but I think that the rights for those are held by some studio in hollywood, so I wouldn't hold my breath. Those and that Spelljammer/Forgotten Realms game, Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace, are the last games in the Gold Box Engine.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pathologic HD? Well, maybe, I...

quote:

70% off until the end of times if you own the original release

Man, that's just nice of 'em.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

doctorfrog posted:

Pathologic HD? Well, maybe, I...

Is this the same Pathologic Remake that was being funded by a kickstarter or is a different remake?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Its the original game remastered, retranslated and with HD textures but its not the full remake, no

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, basically when they were doing the remake they were all "We're changing a lot of things from the original game, people might not like that. I guess let's also go ahead and release an updated version of the original too, so people don't get mad".

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is this the same Pathologic Remake that was being funded by a kickstarter or is a different remake?

No it's the original game but optimized better for modern systems, with support for modern resolutions and a much better English translation. The remake is still in development and has a complete graphical overhaul and I think some new content.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mr. Fortitude posted:

No it's the original game but optimized better for modern systems, with support for modern resolutions and a much better English translation. The remake is still in development and has a complete graphical overhaul and I think some new content.

Thanks, I will wait for the remake then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

doctorfrog posted:

70% off until the end of times if you own the original release
Says I can get the discount code off my game shelf but I'm not seeing it.