Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

There's no elegant solution to smurfing that doesn't ruin things for legitimate new players. They'll have to make us send in our social security numbers and a blood sample to buy CS:GONE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Nope, I'm not an EnvyUs fanboy. :v:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Smurfs are good and show you what you're doing wrong. BACK IN THE DAY you'd always try to play above your level just to get your poo poo kicked in and learn from it, was a good way to get better quicker.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Smol posted:

You picked Apex over NBK for entry fragger?

Sigh.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

fyallm posted:

I just hate when the top fragger on the other team is like 40-3-10 either the same rank or below me, and has like 20-30 hours~ to my 400ish hours.. I feel like they really should take people under some threshold of hours (100? 200?) and make them play with people similarly ranked but also under that threshold of hours... Let the smurfs hang out with each other.

Hi, you don't know me, but I played a lot of 1.6 and source, and before that I played a lot of Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament. I also played some Halo. When I switched to CS:GO I was way better than most people I played with, then I ranked up, then I stopped playing competitive (because life), then I de-ranked, now I'm playing competitive again. I had about 120 hours total before I started up again a month or two back. Hours are not a failsafe way of catching smurfs, and I would have been pissed if I'd been stuck with a bunch of people who had never played CS until I passed 100 hours, or 200 hours, or whatever.

E: I was mildly annoyed at having to 'rank up' outside of the ranking system to play comp again, but I like playing the game itself more than my rank, so it wasn't too bad. They could raise that initial limit, as annoying as it is for some people, but I think putting an hour limit on who you can play with is a horrible idea.

E2: Also I find the people I want to play with have anywhere from 15 hours to infinity, and it is nice to play with them and then be able to add them to my friends list, since I usually solo queue. :unsmith:

surc fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 23, 2015

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Smol posted:

isn't apex the entry fragger though?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

real dilemma posted:

isn't apex the entry fragger though?
iirc NBK sometimes entry frags, but Apex is far and away better.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

What? Both NBK and Apex are entry fraggers in EnvyUs. They're the guys leading the 2/4 man death squads that NV likes to play with.

And if you look at the numbers, NBK Is probably the best entry fragger in the world (~60% entry rate, gets in a lot of entry battles, had he most entries at Cologne)

Smol fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 23, 2015

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Smol posted:

What? Both NBK and Apex are entry fraggers in EnvyUs. They're the guys leading the 2/4 man death squads that NV likes to play with.

And if you look at the numbers, NBK Is probably the best entry fragger in the world (~60% entry rate, gets in a lot of entry battles, had he most entries at Cologne)
Really? I've watched some NV games since Cologne and I've seen Apex have much more impact than NBK.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Set a good mobile awper as your entry + sniper

jk stop enabling Valve

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Look, I'm not saying you can't make the case for other entry fraggers like Apex, but NBK's role in NV is without a doubt an entry fragger and he is doing an excellent job at it. I was considering swapping Apex and NBK when making the list, but in the end, I thought that Apex would put out a larger number of kills in total, so he'd be a better fit for the Commando role.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
apEX is generally their entry fragger from what I know. It suits him because he plays like an idiot, like s1mple, pushing through smokes and taking every challenge possible even when he shouldn't. You want that guy to die first. He is literally the moron who dies first every round in your MM games, except with incredible aim and pro awareness.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Jeza posted:

apEX is generally their entry fragger from what I know. It suits him because he plays like an idiot, like s1mple, pushing through smokes and taking every challenge possible even when he shouldn't. You want that guy to die first. He is literally the moron who dies first every round in your MM games, except with incredible aim and pro awareness.
He's also a really good idiot.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

Make your own here

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Cool.

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
How do I get the color symbols like this? http://oddshot.tv/shot/meclipse-2015102345412796

I am partially colorblind and mess up my colors sometimes

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

surc posted:

Hi, you don't know me, but I played a lot of 1.6 and source, and before that I played a lot of Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament. I also played some Halo. When I switched to CS:GO I was way better than most people I played with, then I ranked up, then I stopped playing competitive (because life), then I de-ranked, now I'm playing competitive again. I had about 120 hours total before I started up again a month or two back. Hours are not a failsafe way of catching smurfs, and I would have been pissed if I'd been stuck with a bunch of people who had never played CS until I passed 100 hours, or 200 hours, or whatever.

So then you would be paired up with other people at your rank/higher rank who are either smurfing or just as good as you. And again, it isn't necessarily people who haven't played cs before, because of smurfs.

I agree hours isn't a failsafe way, but it is another addition that should be added.

quote:

E: I was mildly annoyed at having to 'rank up' outside of the ranking system to play comp again, but I like playing the game itself more than my rank, so it wasn't too bad. They could raise that initial limit, as annoying as it is for some people, but I think putting an hour limit on who you can play with is a horrible idea.

Why is it a horrible idea if they are around what rank you currently are? It just would limit the pool of players you would be queued with.

quote:

E2: Also I find the people I want to play with have anywhere from 15 hours to infinity, and it is nice to play with them and then be able to add them to my friends list, since I usually solo queue. :unsmith:

Community Competitive with them until you get the hours. Again this isn't a failsafe way but it is another addition that would be a nice to have.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
The solution is to rank up to global and become the smurf rather than the smurfed upon

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

conversation piece posted:

How do I get the color symbols like this? http://oddshot.tv/shot/meclipse-2015102345412796

I am partially colorblind and mess up my colors sometimes

Game Options -> Show Teammate Colours in Competitive -> Colours and Letters

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Bohemian Nights posted:

The solution is to rank up to global and become the smurf rather than the smurfed upon

I will never get DMG, let alone Global. I play counter-strike drunk too much and I am bad.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

YouTuber posted:

Also what the hell is with the performance of CSGO under Linux? This poo poo is awful now. I get 200+ FPS when running Windows and it was quite playable a year ago on Linux. I just did a fresh install and god drat it's like 20fps. All the people stuttering around now kinda make sense.

What GPU you rocking? Nvidia shouldn't be too dissimilar but the AMD drivers are a joke under linux (I'm assuming your using the proprietary drivers, if not why the hell not?). Valves games generally run pretty great under linux, if there is a problem its most likely gonna be the GPU drivers themselves.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 23, 2015

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

When people complain about smurfs at global, what the hell are they complaining about? 16+ RWS players or something?

Who do they in turn complain about smurfed by? Pro teams?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Tryhard noobs

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015

Tevery Best posted:

Game Options -> Show Teammate Colours in Competitive -> Colours and Letters

You spelled colors wrong, but thanks! :downs:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I am trying to play csgo but the accept button is not popping up

I played a competitive on the exact same setup yesterday, less than 24hours ago.

uhhh

surc
Aug 17, 2004

fyallm posted:

So then you would be paired up with other people at your rank/higher rank who are either smurfing or just as good as you. And again, it isn't necessarily people who haven't played cs before, because of smurfs.

I agree hours isn't a failsafe way, but it is another addition that should be added.

Why is it a horrible idea if they are around what rank you currently are? It just would limit the pool of players you would be queued with.

Community Competitive with them until you get the hours. Again this isn't a failsafe way but it is another addition that would be a nice to have.

Sorry man, but that just sounds insanely un-fun. CS is not made of pillows, and not everybody better than you is a smurf. Good players should not be punished or isolated for being good, and the more they put in anti-smurf measures, the more it messes up the ability for everybody to just go in and play the game.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

surc posted:

Sorry man, but that just sounds insanely un-fun. CS is not made of pillows, and not everybody better than you is a smurf. Good players should not be punished or isolated for being good, and the more they put in anti-smurf measures, the more it messes up the ability for everybody to just go in and play the game.

How is it un-fun? People who have played the game over that threshold will still get games with people near their current rank. And people under the threshold will still get games with people near their current rank.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You best learn by playing with people who are better than you.

I'm glad I could explain away the horrors of smurfing to you chief, sleep well tonight.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

fyallm posted:

How is it un-fun? People who have played the game over that threshold will still get games with people near their current rank. And people under the threshold will still get games with people near their current rank.

"How is it un-fun? It wouldn't affect me negatively, it would only affect me positively, at the expense of how other people enjoy playing the game!"
You're skipping over a lot of the things it would do in terms of community. The game is played by people, not by robots with ranks.

Also what the dude above me said about getting better. Care more about improving, and less about winning, imo. I had written up a long response in the previous post that included that, but realized that none of it really mattered because your post was just saying you wanted them to design the game around you, so I would be better served addressing the fact that the way you find the game fun is not necessarily the way other people find the game fun. Variety is fun. Playing in rigid boxes of restrictions is not as fun. It's a game. Kill mans, plant/defuse bomb. Make sick montage videos and get pretty guns.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

surc posted:

"How is it un-fun? It wouldn't affect me negatively, it would only affect me positively, at the expense of how other people enjoy playing the game!"
You're skipping over a lot of the things it would do in terms of community. The game is played by people, not by robots with ranks.

Also what the dude above me said about getting better. Care more about improving, and less about winning, imo. I had written up a long response in the previous post that included that, but realized that none of it really mattered because your post was just saying you wanted them to design the game around you, so I would be better served addressing the fact that the way you find the game fun is not necessarily the way other people find the game fun. Variety is fun. Playing in rigid boxes of restrictions is not as fun. It's a game. Kill mans, plant/defuse bomb. Make sick montage videos and get pretty guns.

I wanted them to design the game around trying to get rid of smurfs as much as possible (obviously it will never be 100%).

I do care about improving, check my post history where I ask questions post my demos and also ask questions/listen to strats in goonmans.

But winning is also fun.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The solution to getting mad about losing is to play Rocket League. Then at least losing is fun.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

The solution to getting mad about losing is to play Rocket League. Then at least losing is fun.

I do still need to get that game...

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

fyallm posted:

I wanted them to design the game around trying to get rid of smurfs as much as possible (obviously it will never be 100%).

I do care about improving, check my post history where I ask questions post my demos and also ask questions/listen to strats in goonmans.

But winning is also fun.

Valve doesn't want to remove smurfing. Every time the game goes on sale they make shitloads of money through it. There, I just solved two existential crises for you in one day! One more time and you'll owe me for a session.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Valve doesn't want to remove smurfing. Every time the game goes on sale they make shitloads of money through it. There, I just solved two existential crises for you in one day! One more time and you'll owe me for a session.

I know they make a poo poo ton of money off smurfs, I was just hoping they could fix it a little more :(

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

mcvey posted:

Smurfs are good and show you what you're doing wrong. BACK IN THE DAY you'd always try to play above your level just to get your poo poo kicked in and learn from it, was a good way to get better quicker.

It that is true how do you explain you :twisted:

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007
I like the schedule for the major this time, the map selection/bo1 format is still pretty lovely but I think it's good that no teams will get eliminated on Wednesday and that all the important games will be stacked next to each other on Thurs/Fri. Should make for a better viewing experience at least instead of groups playing out one at a time.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

You best learn by playing with people who are better than you.

I'm glad I could explain away the horrors of smurfing to you chief, sleep well tonight.
Playing with people marginally better than you, yes. People majorly better than you, no.

I play tennis and playing with my instructor benefits me in the long run. if I played against Pete Sampras, however, I'd not learn anything and most likely just get completely frustrated.

I'm glad I could explain why this argument is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

symbolic posted:

Playing with people marginally better than you, yes. People majorly better than you, no.

I play tennis and playing with my instructor benefits me in the long run. if I played against Pete Sampras, however, I'd not learn anything and most likely just get completely frustrated.

I'm glad I could explain why this argument is terrible.

If you played with Pete Sampras, you wouldn't learn to be able to play against him, but I bet he'd talk to you and teach you things just by your ability to watch him. Whoops. You did get better.

• Locked thread