Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Erwin posted:

IPv6 eliminates the need for NAT, but not firewalls. Just make sure your cybertoilet is behind a quality home firewall. Hopefully one will exist by then.

Apple already supports the minimal protection NAT provides:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Walked posted:

I explored this briefly, but unless it's hidden in the pbk file somewhere, it doesn't appear the PSK is saved in there? Otherwise this is the simplest option by far. Nowhere inside it do I see a PSK, Secret, or encrypted string of any sort.

But hopefully I'm just missing it...

Yeah I don't think you're able to deploy a PSK that way, given it's probably a glaring security issue.

Do you have the option of just requiring a users windows login credentials? That way they can enter their own details the first time they use the VPN and you don't require a PSK.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

frogbert posted:

Yeah I don't think you're able to deploy a PSK that way, given it's probably a glaring security issue.

Do you have the option of just requiring a users windows login credentials? That way they can enter their own details the first time they use the VPN and you don't require a PSK.

Not an option with Meraki. It looks like I'm going to go the route of using my own application. Kinda frustrating that Meraki has mediocre deployment options for their VPN. Note: it's a PSK plus user/pass auth

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Walked posted:

Not an option with Meraki. It looks like I'm going to go the route of using my own application. Kinda frustrating that Meraki has mediocre deployment options for their VPN. Note: it's a PSK plus user/pass auth

I've been told you can potentially use the Connection Manager Administration Kit:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753977(v=ws.10).aspx

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MrMoo posted:

Apple already supports the minimal protection NAT provides:

So what you are saying is that my toilet should be running OS X?

Why not linux tho, I can just write up my own lovely protocols.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

The secret is to pipe the poo poo to /dev/null

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A Linux toilet would post your poo poo to github.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

A Linux toilet would post your poo poo to github.

So the usual?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

mewse posted:

What if I find nudes in my CEO's My Pictures folder

More importantly, what do I do if I find my nudes in the CEO's My Pictures folder? :ohdear:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hate our HR department. My boss has been fighting to get me a raise. Now don't get me wrong, I make out OK but I've gotten added responsibilities that I didn't have a few years ago when I was made Network Administrator. HR said "here is the average salary for that position in this state and he is making more than average so no raise". The work responsibility for my title is so loving broad, and they can't find a new title that summarizes what I do. So my boss has been going to all the local consulting companies that we work with and is like "if you hired GreenNight, what would be his starting salary". Now some of these companies would hire me in a second, and they told him about 20k more than I make now, to start. We'll see if HR bites, but what a load of poo poo. I love my job and I rarely ever work more than 40 hours, so it would be extremely difficult to ever leave.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Could be worse, the top brass at my company decided my salary by asking what some buddy of the CEO thought I should make based solely upon my (grossly inaccurate) job title, so there wasn't even anyone looking at things like market averages or anything, just what some random person who doesn't even work for us and has no idea what I do thought I should make.

I consider myself lucky though as that's really my only qualm with this job.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Sheep posted:

Could be worse, the top brass at my company decided my salary by asking what some buddy of the CEO thought I should make based solely upon my (grossly inaccurate) job title, so there wasn't even anyone looking at things like market averages or anything, just what some random person who doesn't even work for us and has no idea what I do thought I should make.

I consider myself lucky though as that's really my only qualm with this job.

Your only qualm with your career is that you're not paid fairly?

RFC2324 posted:

Well, flushing wouldn't make any sound.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Colonial Air Force posted:

More importantly, what do I do if I find my nudes in the CEO's My Pictures folder? :ohdear:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

feedmegin posted:

That was 1919, fellow history degree haver :colbert:

It was a joke. I'm allowed +-1 year on history jokes. :argh:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
How long do you let a fellow sys admin hit his head against a problem before you tell him where to look?

If you like him?

If you don't?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

You help him immediately either way because you're on a team, not competing against each other.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How long do you let a fellow sys admin hit his head against a problem before you tell him where to look?

If you like him?

If you don't?

You ask weird questions about dealing with other humans, man.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Erwin posted:

You help him immediately either way because you're on a team, not competing against each other.

I would say it depends. If you decide to swoop in and help someone every time they hit a road block you've just made yourself the personal bitch of the lowest common denominator of your team.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If you like him?

If you don't?
depends on:
1. how much they want the help
2. how much they need the help

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If you like him?

If you don't?

Leave bread crumbs in the form of Post It notes left in strategic locations like the world's lamest AR game. If you like him.

If you don't, enjoy the meltdown and subsequent enlightenment he will find in the comforting embrace of Google Search.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If you like him?

If you don't?

It's definitely a balance. If you always help they'll never learn.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Inspector_666 posted:

You ask weird questions about dealing with other humans, man.
The hell else is this thread about? Hi guys I'd like a job should I do this thing which improves my resume?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

The hell else is this thread about? Hi guys I'd like a job should I do this thing which improves my resume?

Discussing the toilet-computer-butt relationship of the future.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

send him snarky LMGTFY links

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Non human question~!

I'm trying to set up some sort of script to set up an incredibly long and boring scanner install. I can't find any configs to copy or any arguments to use on the command line. I'm debating writing a Python script, but before I get into it, does anyone know of an easier way?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

Non human question~!

I'm trying to set up some sort of script to set up an incredibly long and boring scanner install. I can't find any configs to copy or any arguments to use on the command line. I'm debating writing a Python script, but before I get into it, does anyone know of an easier way?

If the installer is non-standard and doesn't accept command line arguments for silent install, use AutoIt

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

Non human question~!

Some kind of screen macro recorder? WMIC 'maybe?? :shrug:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I mean the way you ask them more than the content. Like, if somebody is struggling with something, help them out with it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Gothmog1065 posted:

Non human question~!

Sometimes you can break open an exe with Microsofts Orca tool and get a peek inside to look at install and command arguments. Or there are packaging apps you can use where you start the app, run the installer, and then stop the app. The packaging app then tries to record any steps, dll file changes, etc that were made. These aren't very reliable but sometimes they can work. If you go this route try to do it on a computer thats just been imaged.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Autoit works. Or it's trivial to get HWND then get a handle to buttons (and press them) with any win32 api.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Thanks guys. I'll start with AutoIT and go from there.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Ugh, I really don't think I want to work for a company that uses those loving stupid personality surveys.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Are there any other sites that I should be looking at for job openings besides Indeed and DICE?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Are there any other sites that I should be looking at for job openings besides Indeed and DICE?

usajobs.gov for some government positions. Make sure you have a linkedin so you can get some offers from recruiters as well.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

BaseballPCHiker posted:

usajobs.gov for some government positions. Make sure you have a linkedin so you can get some offers from recruiters as well.

LinkedIn, I forgot about that. Guess it's time to finally make one...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean the way you ask them more than the content. Like, if somebody is struggling with something, help them out with it.

There's a balance to strike. You can't spend all day swooping in to help people out because you have your own poo poo to do. If they are making the same mistakes repeatedly after being shown or pointed in the right direction then I think it's quite fair to just leave them to it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

There's a balance to strike. You can't spend all day swooping in to help people out because you have your own poo poo to do. If they are making the same mistakes repeatedly after being shown or pointed in the right direction then I think it's quite fair to just leave them to it.

I figure if you even know somebody else is struggling with something it's because they've asked for help or they're actively breaking stuff that you're noticing.

In either case you should probably help them out. I'm not saying you take over the process, but neither was MCFS, he asked if he should point them in the right direction or not.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
sometimes you have to let people figure poo poo out on their own.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

adorai posted:

sometimes you have to let people figure poo poo out on their own.

Seconded. Unless someone is about to make a huge mistake, let the gears turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

AlternateAccount posted:

Ugh, I really don't think I want to work for a company that uses those loving stupid personality surveys.
With all the attention that's been paid to the autism spectrum lately, I can't believe these things haven't fallen under more ADA scrutiny.