Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BULBASAUR posted:

Probably five minutes or so. Sounds fast, but it isn't that bad.

Keep in mind that they don't 'dry out' like acrylics. An acrylic is useless after it dries. Alcohol paints will come right back to life with a few drops of alcohol and agitation. The longer it's dried the more agitation is required.

Okay. It's a kind of paint that I've never used before and I've wondered about trying it out by getting a kelly green and painting a squad of Salamanders with it. Do alcohol paints separate from each other like acrylic and oil paints do after a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Star Man posted:

How fast do you think alcohol paints would dry out in bone dry Colorado or Wyoming?

and here I thought Denver was kinda humid compared to where I grew up

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hauki posted:

and here I thought Denver was pretty humid compared to where I grew up

I never seem to notice the humidity, but that might be because I'm used to it. But I'm from Wyoming, so you'd think that I would notice it pretty easily.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Avenging Dentist posted:

Whoever it was who suggested Vallejo Black Lava (was it you, Bulbasaur?), it's pretty fun. I got some of that and some Dark Earth and now I can make cool textures for my bases!

Glad you like it dude. It was either me or one of the other users in this thread (there are number of goons who like the stuff). I use them for my bases and I agree it makes cool textures really fast.

Star Man posted:

Okay. It's a kind of paint that I've never used before and I've wondered about trying it out by getting a kelly green and painting a squad of Salamanders with it. Do alcohol paints separate from each other like acrylic and oil paints do after a while?

The metal settles on the bottom of the paint pot, so you have to shake the poo poo out of it when you first start painting. Outside of that I've never had them separate on me.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

SRM posted:

Time for more 'Ardboyz. I painted them in a more "uniform" style after painting every guy completely different in the last squad, and aside from the shot where you can see a bunch of them wearing the same pants it's not noticeable at all when they're all mobbed up. Once I divide the various boyz around various squads, they'll be a right and proper rabble without me going insane having to paint every guy distinctly and without batch painting.

Not enough love for these guys, they look ace. A good use for all those spare UM transfers too! :D

Reminds me I really oughta make more Ardboy mobz not they're no longer 0-1...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zark the Damned posted:

Not enough love for these guys, they look ace. A good use for all those spare UM transfers too! :D

Reminds me I really oughta make more Ardboy mobz not they're no longer 0-1...

Thanks! And hey, those are actually freehand! I just can't resist making things even more Ultramarine-y whenever I get the chance. Once I saw 'Ardboyz weren't limited I got excited since it meant it was possible to make a comparatively elite Ork army. It makes them that much funnier a foil for my Stormtroopers.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SRM posted:

Time for more 'Ardboyz. I painted them in a more "uniform" style after painting every guy completely different in the last squad, and aside from the shot where you can see a bunch of them wearing the same pants it's not noticeable at all when they're all mobbed up. Once I divide the various boyz around various squads, they'll be a right and proper rabble without me going insane having to paint every guy distinctly and without batch painting.

I like 'em. Also, good idea on painting groups of them in a uniform style - I'm going to steal that tip. It sure will be a sanity saver whenever I get around to painting mine up.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

I like 'em. Also, good idea on painting groups of them in a uniform style - I'm going to steal that tip. It sure will be a sanity saver whenever I get around to painting mine up.
Thanks! Yeah, I figure if I batch paint about 6 guys at a time the same way and spread them unit to unit, it'll do a lot to make things easy. I did something similar with my cultists after the first batch stretched my painting patience to its limit.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Jesus, I should do this for my 15mm ACW Confederates minis. Getting just the right variety of rag-tag is hard to do in small batches, but in big batches I bet it'd be a snap.

Looks pretty rad, though. Here's some of mine:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That's a good looking rabble! The thin square bases really bring me back to playing historicals.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Tried my hand at magnetizing. It's pretty cool.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Geisladisk posted:

Tried my hand at magnetizing. It's pretty cool.

Good job!

I'm going to suggest adding a brass rod on the arms just to keep them from shifting about.

Unfortunately my attempt at magnetizing the arms on a castigator is forcing me to resculpt a portion or all of the hoses :ohdear:

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Avenging Dentist posted:

Whoever it was who suggested Vallejo Black Lava (was it you, Bulbasaur?), it's pretty fun. I got some of that and some Dark Earth and now I can make cool textures for my bases!

Except for some reason I also decided to sculpt a bunch of stuff for them from scratch which is turning out to be a moderate pain in the rear end.

I think I learned about Black Lava from Bulbasaur too. Have you tried mashing it flat with a roller or scraper? It makes excellent asphalt/tarmac, especially if you drybrush it with a couple greys of your choice after it's cured.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Good job!

I'm going to suggest adding a brass rod on the arms just to keep them from shifting about.

Unfortunately my attempt at magnetizing the arms on a castigator is forcing me to resculpt a portion or all of the hoses :ohdear:

Haha, I originally intended to magnetize the Reckoner/Castigator/Sanctifier. I took one look at the Castigator arms and just... nope.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I think I learned about Black Lava from Bulbasaur too. Have you tried mashing it flat with a roller or scraper? It makes excellent asphalt/tarmac, especially if you drybrush it with a couple greys of your choice after it's cured.

I've done that with the Dark Earth in an attempt to emulate some stucco-covered Mayan causeways for my Kukulkani. Once I finish all my bases, I'll probably post a WIP shot of my warband. Right now, I'm working on a set of 3 jungly bases for the Warriors, although I won't get my etched-brass foliage in the mail until next month.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dr. Gargunza posted:

This is an awesome idea.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
GW's Youtube page is taking suggestions for tutorial videos for December:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXfH4aU7P0w
I think it's actually pretty neat, their painting videos are solid.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SRM posted:

Would it be too cheeky to ask for tutorials on how to paint Fantasy models?

"Dear GW, how to paint my Pegasus Knight? Please and thank you."

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Indolent Bastard posted:

Would it be too cheeky to ask for tutorials on how to paint Fantasy models?

"Dear GW, how to paint my Pegasus Knight? Please and thank you."
That model's in Age of Sigmar still, isn't it? I just want to ask them if there will be a miniatures game to accompany Warhammer: Total War :v:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

SRM posted:

I met that Duncan at a gaming show I was doing airbrush demonstrations at, typical GW employee: really nice, positive and complimentary. He was there with Adam from the White Dwarf team and I think a couple other GW/WD people.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
GW's painting videos are the only good product they have, and its actually free.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

So many tutorials lost when they updated the paint range though, I'd love for an archive of them to appear

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I used the GW website to paint the fellowship of the ring when I was learning and it really helped. Now those pages are gone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dishwasherlove posted:

I used the GW website to paint the fellowship of the ring when I was learning and it really helped. Now those pages are gone.

I'll be honest, if you're doing Warmachine/Hordes Privateer Press's Army and Expansion books have really good painting guides in them. Even the guides in the physical copies of the rulebooks are pretty decent for what they are (they are absent from the free .PDF versions though).

The one thing I will recommend is adding a few drops of mixing medium to your pallet to help blend things better.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

are there any videos out there where you just straight up watch someone paint a mini? i dont even care if it's three hours long i just feel like i have some gaps to fill in and seeing someone better than me do it might help

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Cat Face Joe posted:

are there any videos out there where you just straight up watch someone paint a mini? i dont even care if it's three hours long i just feel like i have some gaps to fill in and seeing someone better than me do it might help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?ThePaintingClinic

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm building up my toolkit some more. What items would you guys call skill in a bottle? Like, stuff that requires little to no skill to use and looks fantastic? For example my current go-to liquid skill item is Didi's Magic Ink which basically is great for filling gaps and recesses, or shading high detail areas.

Not to discount skilled use of actual paint, which is still a requirement of any seriously good-looking model imo.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
While it sucks that the old tutorials on GW's site are gone, there's honestly enough free stuff and enough tutorials out there that you can find a good number of alternatives. If you want to learn how to paint Imperial Fists, you can find a dozen different methods from blogs, forums, and videos from just a cursory Googling.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Any recommendations for painting tutorial channels in YouTube that are updated regularly?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

signalnoise posted:

I'm building up my toolkit some more. What items would you guys call skill in a bottle? Like, stuff that requires little to no skill to use and looks fantastic? For example my current go-to liquid skill item is Didi's Magic Ink which basically is great for filling gaps and recesses, or shading high detail areas.

Not to discount skilled use of actual paint, which is still a requirement of any seriously good-looking model imo.

GW Nuln Oil (previously Badab Black) will take almost any shoddily painted minature from "terrible" to "good tabletop quality". If I could just buy a 20 liter barrel and just straight up dunk my plastic mans in it, I would.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SRM posted:

While it sucks that the old tutorials on GW's site are gone, there's honestly enough free stuff and enough tutorials out there that you can find a good number of alternatives. If you want to learn how to paint Imperial Fists, you can find a dozen different methods from blogs, forums, and videos from just a cursory Googling.

There was a nice consistency to them though, so you could grab little bits from each to work on different stuff. It all fitted together like painting lego

A huge amount of my stuff was based off all those guides, and though I may not need them now it was such a great reference

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

GW Nuln Oil (previously Badab Black) will take almost any shoddily painted minature from "terrible" to "good tabletop quality". If I could just buy a 20 liter barrel and just straight up dunk my plastic mans in it, I would.

Army Painter Dark tone ink wash does the same. Strong tone is meant to be good too but I've not tried it myself yet.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Zark the Damned posted:

Army Painter Dark tone ink wash does the same. Strong tone is meant to be good too but I've not tried it myself yet.

All their washes are fun. I've taken to using specific ink washes for each color, its been pretty great.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Zark the Damned posted:

Their "Strong Tone" is one of the contenders to the former "Agrax Earthshade" market. It and the dark tone are great, but the soft/sepia ink doesn't really do it for me.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Weirdo posted:

Their "Strong Tone" is one of the contenders to the former "Agrax Earthshade" market. It and the dark tone are great, but the soft/sepia ink doesn't really do it for me.

I use their soft tone on caucasian skin and it looks pretty good, otherwise I don't have much use for it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Cat Face Joe posted:

There are some painting DVDs out there with stuff like that, e.g. "Miniature Painting Secrets with Natalya", though I haven't heard especially good reviews of it. I ended up buying "Masterworks Miniature Painting With Jen Haley and Anne Foerster" on a whim and it's pretty good, although I'm not 100% convinced it's worth $50. But then, I'm not 100% convinced anything is really worth the price you pay when it comes to miniatures.

e: Unrelated, but I also updated the favorite paints list with the Army Painter inks and a few other assorted paints.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 23, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

signalnoise posted:

For me it's oil washes and pigments

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SRM posted:

If you want to learn how to paint Imperial Fists, you can find a dozen different methods from blogs, forums, and videos from just a cursory Googling.

And all of them are more pain than they are worth!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

hm, i dont think I gave this guy a fair shake the first time i watched

Avenging Dentist posted:

There are some painting DVDs out there with stuff like that, e.g. "Miniature Painting Secrets with Natalya", though I haven't heard especially good reviews of it. I ended up buying "Masterworks Miniature Painting With Jen Haley and Anne Foerster" on a whim and it's pretty good, although I'm not 100% convinced it's worth $50. But then, I'm not 100% convinced anything is really worth the price you pay when it comes to miniatures.

yeah that's steep. maybe if practice never pays off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

BULBASAUR posted:

For me it's oil washes and pigments

I keep hearing about oil washes, can you link me to a US-based purchasing place preferably dickblick