Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

SunTrust Bank lays off IT staff; separation terms include being on-call for two years with no pay:

http://gawker.com/bank-tells-laid-off-employees-to-remain-on-call-for-two-1738077491

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
This week we have been getting our Xerox copiers replaced. 13 out of the 14.
Delivery went swimmingly, setup has been a loving nightmare.

The tech didn't transfer any of the address books, or set up some of the faxes.
NONE of the machines can scan to our network share.
...and one of them thinks it's a router.

Yes, one of the Xerox machines is acting as a router, breaking all the things on that segment of our network.

It'd have taken longer to figure out IF I HADN'T SEEN IT BEFORE.

quote:

Fixed an issue that printer would suddenly start responding as a router in some CISCO environments.

I don't even want to look to see how many tickets have come in. But I've been dealing with this bullshit all loving week. 7:30am - 6:30~7pm ALL loving WEEK.
I work for the government so I'm sure you can imagine how many people are pissed about not having functioning printers.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

SunTrust Bank lays off IT staff; separation terms include being on-call for two years with no pay:

http://gawker.com/bank-tells-laid-off-employees-to-remain-on-call-for-two-1738077491
HAHAHAHAHAHA I can't imagine how that's going to work. Even if I were obliged to do so, I'd probably just answer the phone and jerk people around for the hell of it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I'd love to see them try to claw-back the severance when they get a face full of "nope" from those ex-employees.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

...and one of them thinks it's a router.

Yes, one of the Xerox machines is acting as a router, breaking all the things on that segment of our network.

Out of curiosity, what's the model of the one that thinks it's a router?

I've seen a little desktop 3635 bring down a state-wide hospital network because the hostname was replaced with ".." and it wanted so hard to route all that traffic.

I'm kind of amazed I'm still employed

Oyster fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 23, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

evobatman posted:

Bad times computer ahead
Maybe no fast
Maybe no print
Internet will go way but we are two of soul
Please help me

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Wilford Cutlery posted:

quote:

The bank’s severance deal includes a “continuing cooperation” clause for a period of two years, where the employee agrees to “make myself reasonably available” to SunTrust “regarding matters in which I have been involved in the course of my employment with SunTrust and/or about which I have knowledge as a result of my employment at SunTrust.”
Reasonably available means getting subpoena'd. Anything else? I'm busy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Oyster posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the model of the one that thinks it's a router?

I've seen a little desktop 3635 bring down a state-wide hospital network because the hostname was replaced with ".." and it wanted so hard to route all that traffic.

I'm kind of amazed I'm still employed

Xerox 5945.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Ooooh, the 59's are new and use the same engineering as many of the color machines. They're also the first ones to recycle waste toner, which is awesome. The only real drawback they have is much of the interlocking parts for the doors are made with cheap plastic.

Check the host configuration first, definitely, all else fails do a network re-initialization, I've never seen that not work for an issue like that.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Ticket : "It won't print."

In a medical facility with well over 200 printers, where every single user has at least 3 printers to choose from (Backups and the like), that's all I get to go on. Print server shows a few low on toner but no errors and nothing stuck in queue.

The best part is that the person submitting the ticket wasn't entered into the database properly and as such had no associated extension, no supervisor assigned, no department, and has yet to set up her e-mail on her PC so our response requesting additional details was never seen. A day later an angry supervisor calls in asking why the employee's issue was never addressed. What an enjoyable call that was!

"She didn't give us any details whatsoever."
"Why didn't you call her?"
"An extension was never put in her account."
"Why wasn't it put in??"
"I have no idea. HR is supposed to add that information in when they do onboarding."
"This is outrageous why can't you just take care of it do you know what a huge issue this is and how much money the company is losing because these issues go unfixed *etc etc etc*"

(Turns out the user in question had somehow set the PDF converter to be her default printer)

I love my job.

khy fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 23, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ilkhan posted:

Reasonably available means getting subpoena'd. Anything else? I'm busy.

If you're paying me nothing, "reasonably" available means I'm not.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
SunTrust backed down and pulled that clause.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:cripes:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

Oh don't worry, 20 minutes later they sent a follow-up that a co-worker had somehow managed to sort out the issue.

Government work...

Government work.

In the early 90's I was working for a city government and a head secretary was upset that her local desktop printer wasn't working. So she decided that her PC was to blame and went around unplugging other user's PCs and putting them on her desk, re-cabling them and trying to print. When that desktop wouldn't print she'd grab another. And another. And another.

The next day about half of the people can in to work to find their work areas pulled apart and their PCs missing, and the secretary in her office with a stack of eight desktops by her desk. Fuming with a non-printing printer nearby.

Her feeling was that she was the secretary for the department head, so if anyone's PC was working, she should get it. I got to spend the day re-cabling all the PCs after fixing her printer problem.

The problem?

It was out of paper.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Agrikk posted:

Government work.

In the early 90's I was working for a city government and a head secretary was upset that her local desktop printer wasn't working. So she decided that her PC was to blame and went around unplugging other user's PCs and putting them on her desk, re-cabling them and trying to print. When that desktop wouldn't print she'd grab another. And another. And another.

The next day about half of the people can in to work to find their work areas pulled apart and their PCs missing, and the secretary in her office with a stack of eight desktops by her desk. Fuming with a non-printing printer nearby.

Her feeling was that she was the secretary for the department head, so if anyone's PC was working, she should get it. I got to spend the day re-cabling all the PCs after fixing her printer problem.

The problem?

It was out of paper.

I'm not sure how condescending I'd be to one of my users if they pulled that poo poo but I'm thinking the answer is "a lot".

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

iajanus posted:

I'm not sure how condescending I'd be to one of my users if they pulled that poo poo but I'm thinking the answer is "a lot".

It was even easier than that:

I just walked into the Director's office and said that half of the office was offline because of the pile of PCs in her cubicle and should I continue working on his pet project or put the office back together? And oh yeah, I'll make sure to let everyone know on your behalf what your decision is.

He reamed the hell out of her loud enough for the whole office to hear.

And I put all the PCs back and his pet project was delayed.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
RE: Printer chat

This week our Xerox color 550 has had troubles with its finishing rollers, so it continuously jams at the end of a print. I had an engineer called out who got it going for a bit, but he's ordered a replacement for the entire assembly which I'm waiting on.

We also have a "Backup" printer in the form of a Brother HL-2270DW which is sat on top of the advanced finisher, it keeps reporting no paper (I think it didn't have a properly assigned port, but I haven't had time to check)

Someone has organised a loan printer (A Sharp something) to be set up on Monday, this side of the office has about 30 people.
It's great that no one listens to me when I repeat the whole year that we need an additional MFP (with low quotes and everything) to cope with situations like this for the type of work that goes on :allears:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Speaking of internet, my cable modem keeps losing sync or something like that. My downstream connection will sometimes be green, sometimes yellow, and about every 5 minutes I'll lose internet. I called TWC after 4 days of this poo poo and the phone person tells me I have a bad signal and that he's fixed it. All he did, of course, was send a reset signal. I tell him that I'll be calling back in a few minutes once the problem reasserts itself. It does, and this time I'm told that I need to get a new modem from one of their offices. It's a half hour drive each way, and the office opens and closes while I'm at work, so the earliest I can get over there is Saturday.

I sat and thought about it for a few minutes and said gently caress it and called back and told them I wanted a technician. It's not that I think the problem is something else, but rather I don't feel like wasting my time and gas should the problem be something other than the modem. Now I just need to hang on to my sanity while my modem syncs and desyncs every five minutes for the next day.

The odds of it being a modem issue compared to a line issue are hilariously low. Water in the coax, a loose connection, misconfigured hardware set for a frequency that gets attenuated on your particular run, etc are all more likely. Personally, I'd roll the truck, get someone competent out there, and have them bring a modem just in case.

That's why I don't run a cable company, though, because there's no margin in that.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Internet come and me wan' stay home

https://youtu.be/rsDkmVo2fg4

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Storysmith posted:

The odds of it being a modem issue compared to a line issue are hilariously low. Water in the coax, a loose connection, misconfigured hardware set for a frequency that gets attenuated on your particular run, etc are all more likely. Personally, I'd roll the truck, get someone competent out there, and have them bring a modem just in case.

That's why I don't run a cable company, though, because there's no margin in that.

Turns out it was the outside connection. The cable was bent almost in half, and the signal strength (according to the tech) was off the charts. He's put in a request for a line technician to come out and fix that, and he gave me a new modem at the same time. Finally got it working and everything is up and running without any problems right now. And best of all, I didn't even bother paying the $39.99 fee that TWC said I owed them. Fuckers can try and bill me, and if they do that I'll threaten to go with a competitor. Come to think of it, I should go ahead and do that anyway.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Speaking of Time Warner... They fixed whatever the gently caress was in my area that was making my internet absolute poo poo. Good! Problem is they're trying to charge me thirty bucks for a tech who came to our apartment, shrugged at our router, went "Problem's on our end, not yours", and then hosed off. Thirty bucks for less than ten minutes.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
This is America, you should be happy you have the privilege to pay your obvious superiors at a glorious capitalist corporation your dirty pleb money.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Speaking of Time Warner... They fixed whatever the gently caress was in my area that was making my internet absolute poo poo. Good! Problem is they're trying to charge me thirty bucks for a tech who came to our apartment, shrugged at our router, went "Problem's on our end, not yours", and then hosed off. Thirty bucks for less than ten minutes.

Things may have changed since I left, but if you JUST NOW had a "self install" where you hooked your own poo poo up, and they had to send a tech out, they'll charge a "rescue fee". You should be able to call customer service and have that fee remove (Because your lovely tech didn't. I don't think any tech ever actually does). Have fun with that though.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

It's not our own router, though, it's one they gave us. So they're charging us for sending someone out to look at their router, when it was their poo poo messing everything up :arghfist::downs:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It's not our own router, though, it's one they gave us. So they're charging us for sending someone out to look at their router, when it was their poo poo messing everything up :arghfist::downs:

You just need to call them. Comcast tried to charge me $99 for a tech that came out and told me we can't give you service the line running up the street is rotted and unusable because nobody up here has used Comcast for a decade.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

N-th-ing the comcast rescue fee.

I did a self install and it failed because if a bad run to the house. They sent a tech out who swapped my modem out and left before identifying the bad line, so they had to send another tech out who saw and fixed the bad line.

But since the first tech only swapped a modem it was deemed a rescue. I argued that poo poo and they rolled it back.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Got a phone call.
Secretary: "We think a computer is on fire in room 8."
Me: "Uh, ok, I'll be right there."

As I'm walking up to the classroom I get a whiff of that lovely smell. I assume a popped cap. Principal had gotten there before me, and he and the teacher had unplugged power from everything in the area, since they weren't sure what it actually was. I wasn't sure it was the computer since the smell wasn't strong under the desk, until I moved the system to unplug everything else.

I immediately see the problem through the case window (I have no idea why they got cases with windows).

The teacher simply turned her computer on the morning, then went and did the usual stuff to get ready for kids. One of the teachers had actually seen smoke billowing above the desk thanks to the black butcher paper on the wall. A couple more minutes and the fire alarms may have gone off. I wonder if the SSD's tray and case actually being metal helped prevent the fire from getting too big, too fast.
I assume it was a short in the cheap molex-SATA power adapter. I was curious to see if the drive still worked if I got all the melted plastic off the contacts, but decided it was too much work and I didn't want to risk a functional computer by plugging it in. The computer it's from is on our surplus pile now.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Agrikk posted:

N-th-ing the comcast rescue fee.

I did a self install and it failed because if a bad run to the house. They sent a tech out who swapped my modem out and left before identifying the bad line, so they had to send another tech out who saw and fixed the bad line.

But since the first tech only swapped a modem it was deemed a rescue. I argued that poo poo and they rolled it back.

Verizon has the opposite thing on FIOS. They charge a fee for not self installing(I think $80) but if you do a self install, and have any trouble, they will send out a tech to do an install as a free repair.

I loving hate everything about TWC with a passion, and when even Verizon has better customer service than you, you are officially the worst thing.

SentinelXS
Aug 30, 2009

Why don't you make like a tree, and FUCK OFF?

Pyroclastic posted:

Burning computers

I had a run of things catching on fire a couple weeks ago.

The hardware guy got a ticket about a smoking computer in one of the student computer labs and we both go take a look. He reaches down to unplug the power cable from the back and immediately gets tickled by 120V AC.

After that there was a different building that had a smoking computer, and when I got there they had already ripped it out and left it sitting outside the front doors. Power supply was toast. Then, a smoking mouse with a frayed cord in the same building. :psyduck:

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

We have a whole backplane go up with the fans never stopping. Got 2am firealarms when I was on NOC nightshift.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Technicians working on our inrow chillers almost triggered the fire suppression system by soldering some wires in the data center.

By almost I mean if the fire system wasn't also being serviced that day and the control panel wasn't unlocked for easy access and someone didn't hear the system fire up the "arming" klaxon and quickly go over and shut it off then things would've gotten pretty bad in the data center.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:psyduck: How is "disable the heat/smoke detectors" not the first step on any hot job checklist?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

SentinelXS posted:

I had a run of things catching on fire a couple weeks ago.

The hardware guy got a ticket about a smoking computer in one of the student computer labs and we both go take a look. He reaches down to unplug the power cable from the back and immediately gets tickled by 120V AC.

After that there was a different building that had a smoking computer, and when I got there they had already ripped it out and left it sitting outside the front doors. Power supply was toast. Then, a smoking mouse with a frayed cord in the same building. :psyduck:

Sounds like somebody needs to check the wiring for the building, and/or get the mad scientist out of the basement.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Collateral Damage posted:

:psyduck: How is "disable the heat/smoke detectors" not the first step on any hot job checklist?

Sounds like the guy to did an annual test on our burglar alarm and forgot to disable the 'call the cops' function.

They weren't best pleased.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Funny thing during the time the TWC tech was swapping out my modem and unfucking the external lines. I live in an apartment complex with the city-owned golf course running through the middle of it. While the tech and I are talking in the room that serves as my office there was a heavy thunk and some tinkling. I didn't think much of it because being partially deaf I misinterpret most noises. I look at the tech and asked him if he heard anything and he tells me that he thinks a golf ball just took out one of my windows. I found that to be somewhat absurd because there's an entire row of 2-story apartments between me and whatever tee it is, it's about 100 yard away, not to mention about 60 degrees off from where golfers should be aiming. I mean, we're talking one hell of a slice.

Anyways, I go out to my living room and sure enough one of my windows has a golf ball embedded in it. Maintenance comes out an hour later and tells me that in the 10 years he's worked there he's never seen a golf ball hit one of the windows in my unit because it's so far away from the tee and nowhere near the direction of the green. Person must've been a really bad golfer.

The green is on the other side of those apartments way on the other side of that pine tree at the end of the building - the hole actually parallels the apartments before taking a slight curve to the right.

Daylen Drazzi fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 25, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

That's one of those "I'm not even mad, that was impressive" moments, right there. :stare:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

OmniCorp posted:

We have a whole backplane go up with the fans never stopping. Got 2am firealarms when I was on NOC nightshift.

Color me curious but what model of server is this?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Funny thing during the time the TWC tech was swapping out my modem and unfucking the external lines. I live in an apartment complex with the city-owned golf course running through the middle of it. While the tech and I are talking in the room that serves as my office there was a heavy thunk and some tinkling. I didn't think much of it because being partially deaf I misinterpret most noises. I look at the tech and asked him if he heard anything and he tells me that he thinks a golf ball just took out one of my windows. I found that to be somewhat absurd because there's an entire row of 2-story apartments between me and whatever tee it is, it's about 100 yard away, not to mention about 60 degrees off from where golfers should be aiming. I mean, we're talking one hell of a slice.

Anyways, I go out to my living room and sure enough one of my windows has a golf ball embedded in it. Maintenance comes out an hour later and tells me that in the 10 years he's worked there he's never seen a golf ball hit one of the windows in my unit because it's so far away from the tee and nowhere near the direction of the green. Person must've been a really bad golfer.

The green is on the other side of those apartments way on the other side of that pine tree at the end of the building - the hole actually parallels the apartments before taking a slight curve to the right.

Sup apartment complex buddy :hfive:

At least it didn't catch on fire :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Two single panes of glass.. with winter coming. *brrr*

• Locked thread