Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think Republicans are the real problem in this country, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Don't mistake me for a Bush fan, but I think he's got more of a chance than it looks like right now. He won't win Iowa, but when New Hampshire votes, they'll look for a counter to Carson, Cruz, or Trump - whoever does wins Iowa. That'll probably be either Bush or Rubio, and Bush's organization has the better chance of actually getting warm bodies to the polls. After that, he'll need to rely on primary voters in others states tuning in for the first time and assuming he's inevitable based on name recognition, a New Hampshire win, and a carpet bombing of ads from his Super PAC.

Bush has a lot less margin for error than anyone realized, but he's not sunk.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
jeb dropping out now would be pretty smart. he can jump back in, at high energy, and sweep half of the states left with laser targeted funding.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I feel that while it's possible-if-not-likely that Trump isn't going to win primaries or that the RNC will dick with the nomination rules to deny it from him, Trump might get the nom regardless if he fucks with everyone else's campaign enough that they drop out before they get there.

So the question is if Jeb, and any other establishment candidate, can stretch it out long enough.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

OctoberBlues posted:

We need to get these candidates talking about college football. Iowa is 7-0 and looking to be in great shape to go 12-0, so if we can get candidates to snub Iowa when discussing the playoff contenders, a lot of people in Iowa would probably get really pissed off. If reading Iowa football message boards has taught me anything, it's that a lot of Iowa fans are really bigoted assholes who are going to vote republican.

Do they not play MSU, tOSU or UM this year?

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
You're all fools. Jeb! has 'em just where he wants 'em...

Jeb Bush Struggles to Galvanize His Family’s Donor Base as Campaign Falters

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Boosted_C5 posted:

I'm sure most of you already read that commie rag HuffPo, but in case anyone doesn't I discovered they have a poll tracking feature that is MUCH better than RCP because you can pick and choose which polls to use in order to unskew the data and get a TRUE picture of the horse-rase.

Non-Partisan Polls Only (No candidate-sponsored or partisan polls)
Registered and Likely Voter Polls Only (No polls of just "adults")
Republican respondents only (No independents or filthy democrats)

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com...aul,Rubio,Trump

Trump has regained momentum and once again eclipsed 30% support.

CHOO-CHOO!!!

It's like reading Flowers for Algernon in reverse.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Don't mistake me for a Bush fan, but I think he's got more of a chance than it looks like right now. He won't win Iowa, but when New Hampshire votes, they'll look for a counter to Carson, Cruz, or Trump - whoever does wins Iowa. That'll probably be either Bush or Rubio, and Bush's organization has the better chance of actually getting warm bodies to the polls. After that, he'll need to rely on primary voters in others states tuning in for the first time and assuming he's inevitable based on name recognition, a New Hampshire win, and a carpet bombing of ads from his Super PAC.

They'll look for a not-the-Iowa-winner but they won't necessarily look for someone who's the opposite of the Iowa winner. Right now, unless there's a substantial change in the trajectory of the election, it looks like Carson will take Iowa, Trump will take New Hampshire, one of the two will take South Carolina, and Jeb will fade away.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Trump is really strong in New Hampshire, and he actually makes sense for their demo - North Eastern working blue collar whites.

Jeb! and his campaign knows this, thats why they keep saying "Wait till March, and you will see!"

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

rscott posted:

Do they not play MSU, tOSU or UM this year?

Nope! And no Penn State either! That's why they are ripe for negative comments from prominent politicians.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

I have Jeb pegged for getting less than 9.7% of the vote in Iowa, what do the rest of ya think?

Jeb! is getting pegged all right.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

AngryBooch posted:

How hard is it to just say Captain America and move on...

You mean the black guy who's against that patriotic American heritage organization? Isn't Jeb!™ trying to sink his chances enough as it is?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 22, 2016

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Talk radio update: Rush's big 'thought' for the day(other than Benghazi) is the conspiracy that the "Republican donor class" set things up so Paul Ryan would be speaker, and Jeb would be President - That way the donor class can get everything they want pushed through(amnesty)

Only Trump and Carson can stop them, that's why there's so much opposition against Trump.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Please give up you fucks

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Look, if Jeb was winning then his plan would work!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What's he gonna pull out that's gonna make people want to vote for him? At this point, even if he wasn't the absolute worst (and he very much is) the media is looking for him to make mistakes and say dumb things because that's what people want to see in the news. He's in an echo chamber and he's getting battered. He has no hope, and should quit while he still has a few shreds of dignity.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

None of those points you quoted seem terribly outlandish or unreasonable to me.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Has Carson even opened his mouth since the last debate? It'll be funny if he wins the nom, then gets press coverage of all his batshit crazy sin tax ideas and everyones jaws are just hanging there going "What..the .. gently caress? U were serius?"

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Philthy posted:

Has Carson even opened his mouth since the last debate? It'll be funny if he wins the nom, then gets press coverage of all his batshit crazy sin tax ideas and everyones jaws are just hanging there going "What..the .. gently caress? U were serius?"

I think the "Holocaust wouldn't've happened if Jews had guns" was since the last debate

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
All the gun stuff was. Including "people should just rush the gunman" and "one time that I probably made up, a guy put a gun to my back so I directed him to point it at the cashier instead."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Philthy posted:

He's been mumbling this and that periodically, such as the whole Holocaust-guns things, and also something the other day about abolishing a wasteful government program that totally isn't adored by one of the biggest voting blocs in the whole nation.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

point of return posted:

I think the "Holocaust wouldn't've happened if Jews had guns" was since the last debate

I actually "Laugh out Loud" every time I think about how this was said, in the year 2015 by a Serious Candidate.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Philthy posted:

He took the month off to go on a book tour.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tainen posted:

And his polls went up! Maybe other candidates will take notice and suspend their campaigns as well.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

Somebody asked him who his favorite Marvel Superhero was and he answered with "Batman" and "Supergirl is hot."
Why am I not surprised?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l1PMVvfjDM

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Tainen posted:

Yes, he will be on book tour until Wednesday, which is also the debate.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Ben Carson is awake approximately 45 minutes out of every day so that he can conserve his remaining life force for brain surgeries. When he comes to, he says something adequately conservative and then returns to torpor.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

sullat posted:

And his polls went up! Maybe other candidates will take notice and suspend their campaigns as well.

It worked so well for John McCain

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

The Republican Nomination has the same rule as 2012: The only winning move is not to play.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

reignofevil posted:

Poor loving Batman. Guy is already looked at like he is the Mitt Romney of superheroes he doesn't deserve to be dredged through the mud like this.

It's also very likely he only knew Supergirl's name because of the TV show that's starting to air. Shame it won't be crossing over with Arrow/Flash though, but at least the CW is still getting away with slowly introducing the Justice Society.

AngryBooch posted:

How hard is it to just say Captain America and move on...

Saying Batman is his favorite Marvel character is less damaging than picking Captain America right now. Cap' is the reich wing's #1 hated super hero right now.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
If Jeb had been near a hot mic in the fall tv season of 2012 he'd be slurring about how he wanted to gently caress the hell out of Green Arrow.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ben Carson makes a bold pronouncement:

quote:

Carson: I won't go on Saturday Night Live

Don’t expect Ben Carson to show off his alter-ego bartender on Saturday Night Live any time soon. The Republican candidate says he has no desire to host the late-night comedy show.

“I think the presidency of the United States is a very serious thing,” Carson told Bloomberg Politics. “I don’t even want to begin to put it in the lightness of comedy.”

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's a shame he's denying his political comedy roots.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 22, 2016

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

DaveWoo posted:

Ben Carson makes a bold pronouncement:

What I'm reading is that Carson less of a sense of humor than Nixon? Interesting if true.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Alter Ego posted:

It's like reading Flowers for Algernon in reverse.

:wow:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

sullat posted:

Jindal sits quietly at home, refreshing the polls every so often, waiting for his bounce. Any day now.

Angrymantium posted:

What I'm reading is that Carson less of a sense of humor than Nixon? Interesting if true.

Nixon was hysterical, but for all the wrong reasons. He had no sense of humor at all, and had to be coached at his Laugh In appearance.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just a reminder that Carson is going up in polling despite not actively campaigning in favor of a book tour. GOP2016.txt

The Something Awful Forums > Main > RSF: Election Erection > 2016 Republican Primary: A strange game, the only winning move is..not to play.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Riosan posted:

Nixon was hysterical, but for all the wrong reasons. He had no sense of humor at all, and had to be coached at his Laugh In appearance.

Sock it to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Boosted_C5 posted:

A halfway decent team might go unbeaten in the B1G? SHOCKING.

Iowa would be 0-7 in the SEC right now.

ROLL TIDE PAWWWLLL

Even your non-political opinions are awful, it's amazing.

• Locked thread