Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

ZakAce posted:

What up, fellow tiny foot-haver? My feet are pretty drat small (Euro size 33, which is about an American 4), and I can never find small enough socks outside of a handful of places. On that note, I can never find shoes small enough to fit my feet in normal shoe shops. It's the worst kind of discrimination - the kind against me.

I have the opposite problem (15 US / 51 Euro) in that I can't find socks that don't squeeze my feet and shoes are nearly impossible to find anywhere. If you do, they're usually skate shoes so some of them are frankly, ugly as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

E: thought better of this post. Basically the one-time nature of musicals has me down and because it's involved in a birthday gift for the person I'd normally rant to I shat in this thread instead.

I really do wish I could experience them again though. :smith:

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 16:20 on Oct 23, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
May have mentioned it before but - people who don't take the hint that you're not interested in dating or being more than friends. There was a girl in my group of friends who was cool, but had an unhealthy obsession with me for some weird reason. I'm just an average dude who gets along with everyone but this girl kept getting too close, too touchy-feely, dropping hints and everything else even after being told several times by me and others to cut it out. Thankfully she moved on but it was really weird when she'd show up to parties or get-togethers with guys that closely resembled me looks-wise, even my friends were getting creeped out by it and noticed the resemblance, so it wasn't just me.

liquorlanche
Sep 10, 2014
Maybe I'll like Christmas again when I have a wife and kids but good loving lord, my mother is a lunatic and for now, I'm just gonna keep getting totally blasted on gin, every Christmas eve.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Intoluene posted:

I have the opposite problem (15 US / 51 Euro) in that I can't find socks that don't squeeze my feet and shoes are nearly impossible to find anywhere. If you do, they're usually skate shoes so some of them are frankly, ugly as gently caress.

A guy I used to know had quite large feet (same size as you, maybe a teensy bit smaller) and he went to Japan a few years back and lost his spare shoes on the plane. He went into a shoe store in Japan and told them his shoe size and they laughed at him.

Content: when you open a door for one person and ten people walk through the door so you're just sitting there holding it like an idiot.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
When somebody asks you a question that they could have just googled for themselves, and then argues with you when you answer. If you were already such an expert on this topic that you're gonna argue with the answer, why'd you even ask me in the first place?

KoB
May 1, 2009

InediblePenguin posted:

When somebody asks you a question that they could have just googled for themselves, and then argues with you when you answer. If you were already such an expert on this topic that you're gonna argue with the answer, why'd you even ask me in the first place?

They didnt get the answer they wanted.

My roommate does this, he'll ask us all for advice and after we all tell him the same thing he just does what he would have done anyway. Hes looking for someone to reinforce his opinion but when he doesnt get it hes too stubborn to do the opposite. Why even bother.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Tiggum posted:

People doing things because of "tradition". If that's the best reason you have for doing something, you should probably stop doing it.

My SO wants to have a wedding in a church because "that's the right way to do it". He's not even remotely religious; if anything, he's anti-religion :psyduck:

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
Compromise and have it in a church of satan with fat naked people everywhere

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

im full of poo poo posted:

Compromise and have it in a church of satan with fat naked people everywhere

Haha look at this loving guy: http://www.churchofsatan.com

Another pet peeve: when people park right next to you in an empty parking lot. I park at the back of the lot where there's no cars around for 20 spots and inevitably some jackass parks right next to me. What the gently caress? One day it was really windy and one such jackasses car door bumped into mine and caused a dent. gently caress you, guy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Well off older white men who whine that people these days are so goddamn oversensitive and it's a pity you can't call a spade a spade. You can't make fun of the weird kid or the creepy dude at work and PC LIBERAL poo poo IS RUINING THE WORLD.

The same guys I know also state that if you're still working fast food out of high school, and you want to get paid $15 an hour, you need to go to Home Depot, buy a rope, go home and hang yourself.

It's like, how do you even reply to that?

Peeve: motherfucking hospitals who make you stay for the entire day because your mom has a knee replacement surgery, and "just in case" you need to hang around for 8 loving hours. Look gents, if you're counting on me saving the day in case she flatlines, well, that's what we are paying YOU for. I am not a doctor and me chilling in that horrible waiting room for an entire day isn't going to help you!

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

Peeve: motherfucking hospitals who make you stay for the entire day because your mom has a knee replacement surgery, and "just in case" you need to hang around for 8 loving hours. Look gents, if you're counting on me saving the day in case she flatlines, well, that's what we are paying YOU for. I am not a doctor and me chilling in that horrible waiting room for an entire day isn't going to help you!

It's so if something catastrophic happens you're present and able to make decisions for her if she can't. Also doctors are poo poo at aftercare and making sure they're doing the right surgery on the right person. My dad nearly got the wrong knee operated on had it not been for the efforts of the nurses and my mother.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

It's like, how do you even reply to that?

Call him an idiot and tell him to gently caress off. That's serious advice. People with extreme opinions can actually feel validated when people try to debate them.

grittyreboot has a new favorite as of 03:18 on Oct 24, 2015

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Who the gently caress does construction with heavy machinery in a residential area at 10:30 PM. Spoliers: My rear end in a top hat neighbors.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
The phrase "partner in crime" really annoys me for reasons I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's because of its overuse, maybe it's just that it's a stupid phrase. Not really sure why, but I cringe every time I hear it, and back in my single days if I was on the fence about someone's dating profile, if that phrase was in there it was suddenly an easy decision.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
When my wife wants to do a project or event but isn't willing to plan or get the necessary tools for it. I installed a ceiling fan and had to put in a new brace and a whole bunch of stuff. Wed never done this before. Which is fine, but don't ask for a ton of stuff around the house but forbid me from getting tools that would make it, you know, doable.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Christmas. I hate Christmas. It's a children's holiday, a day where if there is a child in your life you give that child a gift and that's it. Adults should not celebrate Christmas, should not acknowledge Christmas, and should not encourage Christmas. They should neither give nor expect to receive gifts. It's ridiculous that some people expect businesses to give their employees time off for Christmas -- the world doesn't pause just because Hallmark wants to sell loving ornaments!

Save your money. Don't splurge on gifts nobody needs. Don't give into the consumerist shitfest that is Christmas!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Christmas. I hate Christmas...

I'm not a big fan of traditional family Christmas but it's nice to get a day off work, maybe make a nice meal for yourself and your loved ones or close friends and just relax. You don't have to go whole hog into the consumer side of the day but there's no reason not to find a way to make it your own thing.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

cyberia posted:

I'm not a big fan of traditional family Christmas but it's nice to get a day off work, maybe make a nice meal for yourself and your loved ones or close friends and just relax. You don't have to go whole hog into the consumer side of the day but there's no reason not to find a way to make it your own thing.

It's a poor excuse to pick a man's pocket every year is what I'm saying.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

InediblePenguin posted:

I'm guilty of this, I ask the question because I want to discuss the subject.

I mean I don't "argue" but I want to talk about it.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Thin Privilege posted:

Another pet peeve: when people park right next to you in an empty parking lot. I park at the back of the lot where there's no cars around for 20 spots and inevitably some jackass parks right next to me. What the gently caress? One day it was really windy and one such jackasses car door bumped into mine and caused a dent. gently caress you, guy.

This one time while at work, my coworker and I had gone to Lowe's to pick up some lumber in a company van. He parked the van about ten slots down from the first slot of the row in a completely empty part of the parking lot, and he pulled into the slot right in front of the other slot so he could just pull out instead of back out.

We go inside, buy the lumber, come outside, and the van is still all by its lonesome in a sea of empty parking spots. As soon as we start loading the lumber into the back of the van, some complete loving idiot starts pulling into the slot right abaft us while we're there with a big flat cart full of lumber and the rear of the van open. Remember, I said the van was in a sea of empty parking slots anyone could choose happily including a multitude of slots that were nearer or even right next to the entrance, but this guy decided the slot behind us was the best parking spot. What. The. gently caress. :psyduck::psyduck:

Granted, I can partly blame my coworker for pulling into the front slot instead of just pulling in to the row we were in so there'd be no cars parked behind us, but we did not expect Dumbfuck McMoron Shithead III to absolutely want the spot behind us. I threw up my arms in a "What the hell?" kind of way and gave him a dirty look, and he looked timidly at me with an "Oh dear, did I do something wrong? :downs:" look and quickly moved out of the way... into the spot right next to us.

Do some people personify their car and feel that it gets lonely if it's not parked next to another vehicle, even if that vehicle is parked in an empty parking lot? :psyduck:

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:
I get peeved when people inch on to a busy road from a side road to try to get a view of traffic when they inch ahead so much they block half a lane and make me have to swerve to avoid them. This is basically normal at this point.

Yesterday I saw someone take it to the next level. It was a busy road with two lanes on each side. Some jackass who wanted to turn in to the opposing lane from a side road pulled into both lanes to wait. As in, they blocked both lanes of traffic on one side for a few minutes while waiting for an opening to turn. And didn't seem to understand why anyone was pissed at him

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Thoughtless posted:

I'm guilty of this, I ask the question because I want to discuss the subject.

I mean I don't "argue" but I want to talk about it.

Then ask a question like "What do you think about [x]" or something else that indicates that it's a discussion question. Don't ask a question with a factual answer and then argue with the factual response. If you already do ask discussion-type questions rather than factual ones, then the original post wasn't about you anyway

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
I work in a call center, you call in to me and ask questions, why in the ever loving gently caress do you call while doing something where you can't talk long. YOU CALL ME!! You decide when you have time to talk then call you loving asshats

also, when you call do not be eating like a loving pig smacking you lips and crunching chips into the loving phone, if I could strangle you through the phone I'd do it 15 times over :fuckoff:

Coolspaz has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Oct 24, 2015

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
^ on the note of people on phones, one thing that really winds me up is people that make a call in a crowded room and expect everyone to be quite.
Just go to an empty room to make the call.
My mum used to do it when I was a kid and now my current housemate does.
It's a total pain, I don't understand how these people don't have the sense to just go to another room.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

^ on the note of people on phones, one thing that really winds me up is people that make a call in a crowded room and expect everyone to be quite.
It's a total pain, I don't understand how these people don't have the sense to just go to another room.

Hey ask him about this price

"Hey, whats the price"

Oh and the coverage

"Whats the coverage too"

Is it effective immediately?

"He wants to know if its eff-"
*I've already driven over and murdered both of them*

If you want to talk on the phone, YOU TALK ON THE PHONE. No need for a loving proxy.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I'm at a beer garden and at it's 9 pm and packed and someone just brought their infant in a stroller in

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I hate stand around people. So I went to see The Last Witch Hunter today and the area right outside the exit doors of the theater is just blocked full of assholes standing around. I had to hit some lady with the door to open it enough to let the cripple I was with out. Why the gently caress would you stand right in front of a doorway and just talk about inane bullshit? You can do that literally anywhere. On the way home I stop in to walmart to grab some stuff and guess what. Aisles just full of people standing around, shopping carts blocking any way through while they chat to their BFFs about stupid poo poo. "Excuse me" I say trying to get through to grab some toothpaste "Excuse me!" louder this time, and they just ignore me and keep talking about how drunk they plan to get. Then they get mad and give me the stink-eye when I just push their carts out of the way and shove past them to grab the toothpaste right beside them. :argh:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Coolspaz posted:

also, when you call do not be eating like a loving pig smacking you lips and crunching chips into the loving phone, if I could strangle you through the phone I'd do it 15 times over :fuckoff:

I worked in a call center for 9 years and I'll harangue my own friends and family if they talk to someone on the phone while eating. I don't mean when they do it to me (because I don't talk on the phone anymore if I can help it) but if I'm with them and they're eating while on the phone they'll get a dressing down that's almost certainly loud enough for the person on the other end of the line to hear. I don't care if that makes me an rear end in a top hat, they're automatically a bigger rear end in a top hat for eating in someone's ear.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Websites with an immobile floating header/navbanner that covers the top of the page, and when you hit "page down" some of the text is under the header. Some sites are coded to change the amount of space that hitting "page down" sends you, so the part under the banner is part you already read, but a lot of them do not do this and you have to hit page down and then scroll back up to un-hide poo poo from under their stupid loving banner

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
Clicking on a link to find that it, along with all of the other links, just snapped a few inches downward as an image loaded at the top of the page.

Is there some fundamental feature in html that prevents a table of sizes from being loaded first? Just make place-holders for the images and text, and then load them. Yes, the size and font will be different for different users, so have the table of place-holders include whatever information is needed by the browser to figure out the size of each one.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Coolspaz posted:

I work in a call center, you call in to me and ask questions, why in the ever loving gently caress do you call while doing something where you can't talk long. YOU CALL ME!! You decide when you have time to talk then call you loving asshats

I work in a callcenter too, doing tech support. Although in my function I don't have to be on the phone a lot myself, I still end up taking the occasional call.

Opening hours are from 7 AM until 10 PM, yet people still have the habit of calling when they're not at home so it's impossible to verify basic stuff. The IVR even tells them to perform a few actions(reboot modem) before calling, yet they still don't do this, despite reboots solving a hell of a lot of issues rightaway.

Also: "My internet/TV hasn't been working for a month, now I'm calling on friday evening at 9PM and someone has to come over and fix this RIGHT NOW!" Then they get annoyed when the soonest field intervention we can book is for monday(we have techs that work on saturday but availability is fairly limited)

I don't mind people calling when something doesn't work, but why in the hell do they always wait so long before calling and then complain when we can't fix it remotely?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Whenever people say something like "if you tell me I CAN'T do it, that's gonna make me try even harder!" in an effort to sound motivational, it's really hard for me to not see them as someone who probably has really poor judgment in life.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

My sister-in-law often phones my wife, and does it from her kitchen where there are at least 4 young kids running around playing loudly and demanding her attention, so half the phone call is completely unintelligible because all you can hear is either kids screaming or her screaming at the kids to be quiet for a second. The idea of going into the other room where it's quiet never seems to occur to her.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

Ozz81 posted:

May have mentioned it before but - people who don't take the hint that you're not interested in dating or being more than friends. There was a girl in my group of friends who was cool, but had an unhealthy obsession with me for some weird reason. I'm just an average dude who gets along with everyone but this girl kept getting too close, too touchy-feely, dropping hints and everything else even after being told several times by me and others to cut it out. Thankfully she moved on but it was really weird when she'd show up to parties or get-togethers with guys that closely resembled me looks-wise, even my friends were getting creeped out by it and noticed the resemblance, so it wasn't just me.

There's a guy at work that keeps asking me out to do stuff, even after I've rejected all of his invitations. I don't ever offer to reschedule, I just say I can't. I hate it!

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

exquisite tea posted:

Whenever people say something like "if you tell me I CAN'T do it, that's gonna make me try even harder!" in an effort to sound motivational, it's really hard for me to not see them as someone who probably has really poor judgment in life.

I've said something like this before and immediately realized how much I sounded like an rear end in a top hat. Probably didn't help that one of the guys that was around when I said it immediately said, "fine, you CAN'T give me a blowjob!"

I don't say that anymore.

I did not give him a blowjob.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phyzzle posted:

Clicking on a link to find that it, along with all of the other links, just snapped a few inches downward as an image loaded at the top of the page.

Is there some fundamental feature in html that prevents a table of sizes from being loaded first? Just make place-holders for the images and text, and then load them. Yes, the size and font will be different for different users, so have the table of place-holders include whatever information is needed by the browser to figure out the size of each one.

You can definitely specify the size of the various elements in HTML to avoid this problem, and it's really annoying that people don't.

Also, websites that are hard-coded to a fixed width are annoying as hell because on modern monitors you end up with a bunch of unused space to make sure people still using 1024x768 or whatever can see the whole thing. Cracked and SBS are two that I find particularly bad. The actual article takes up less than half the available space on my screen.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
The New Mexico Unemployment System is currently unavailable. Hours of system availability are: 4:00 AM – 9:00PM Sunday-Friday.

Why does a website that is literally a form I fill out and submit, involving no live chat or live person except for myself, have goddamn hours of operation?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tiggum posted:

Also, websites that are hard-coded to a fixed width are annoying as hell because on modern monitors you end up with a bunch of unused space to make sure people still using 1024x768 or whatever can see the whole thing. Cracked and SBS are two that I find particularly bad. The actual article takes up less than half the available space on my screen.

This drives me loving nuts, too. Youtube does it too, it was especially bad back when they had all their videos aligned to the left for whatever reason instead of centered so the entire right side was just white space. I think it might be because of the push towards mobile browsing and most people are just too lazy to make separate mobile/desktop layouts. But there might be more to it.

Tendai posted:

The New Mexico Unemployment System is currently unavailable. Hours of system availability are: 4:00 AM – 9:00PM Sunday-Friday.

Why does a website that is literally a form I fill out and submit, involving no live chat or live person except for myself, have goddamn hours of operation?

Government. When I was trying to get an american ID they kept making me drive for hours and go down town at like six AM, which meant I had to leave home at like three, and wait in line for several hours just to be given some forms. Then the next week I'd go back because they only had like one time slot a week for this and get told those forms didn't actually exist and be given new forms. Repeat this for like half a year, with every employee talking to you slowly like you're a literal retard, some even used ridiculous pantomime while talking, just for not being American. I was from loving Canada, not even french canada and spoke English just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

A few mini peeves.

I go loving nuts when the keyboard on my iPad drops away and my finger hits a link instead. On Amazon I'll be trying to type in the search bar and the keyboard drops down 4-5 times before it finally stays put and lets me type.

The know it all in my MA seminars who dominates the entire 3 hour session, nobody else can get a word in edge ways.

Books that are released as hardbacks and no other format is available. I'll be reading the latest release reviews and go 'oh wow that book looks great' but it's only hardback. I loathe hardbacks with a passion because they are heavy and a pain to read when laying down. So I don't buy. In this day and age who the gently caress holds off on e books?